OT - Live Concerts, your favorite? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT - Live Concerts, your favorite?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Southside still sounds great. Going to see him next month in Hartford.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
I start with various late 50's extravaganzas in the Brooklyn Fox, the Brooklyn Paramount & the New York Paramount. Fellow teens
and I would hop the bus in North Jersey and head to Alan Freed. Every doo-wop group you can think of, with shows closing with either Chuck berry or Fats Domino.

Johnny Mathis...and a girl friend was ESSENTIAL

Three Pink Floyd concerts between Jersey City and Long Island. Who can forget the giant pig on the wire?

Crosby, Stills and Nash in the Brendan Byrne Arena. They inflamed the crowd to the extent that they could barely end the show.

In Florida I see this notice that my 2 very favorite classical pieces, Beethoven's Eroica and Emperor Concerto are on the Orlando Symphony Orchestra program in the very same night. How could I not go?

Reaction Score
Billy Joel at the New Haven Coliseum, when it was still up! :rolleyes:
Sting at the Gorge Amphitheatre in George, Washington (I kid you not) back in 1996. Note: this venue has got to be one of the best scenic out there overlooking the Columbia River.

Reaction Score
Mark Knopfler when he played a show in Vegas maybe four years ago. He brings a band of about 10 expert musicians, most playing stringed instruments. It's like an orchestra, and it's an amazing show. But, of course, I'm a huge Knopfer fan. Fact is, I haven't been to a non-Knopfler concert in decades. That., however, does not mean I wouldn't like to see/hear some bands. So here's my bucket list:

Springsteen, maybe Billy Joel, James Taylor (I saw him very early on when he toured with Carole King) and, from a more modern era, on the pop side, OK GO and FUN. Finally, Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats. (If you haven't heard of them, Google them and listen to a couple of songs. They toiled in relative obscurity for years, and are starting to get national-level recognition).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sha Na Na in Central park.
If that was the one back in the 70's I was there. I must have seen those guys 4x at least.

Reaction Score
Sadly, I don’t remember much of the concerts I went to, but had great times. Fleetwood Mac and the Outlaws at San Diego Civic Center around 1978, was probably the last big show, and “Green Grass and High Tides” was the best live song I’ve ever heard.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Sadly, I don’t remember much of the concerts I went to, but had great times. Fleetwood Mac and the Outlaws at San Diego Civic Center around 1978, was probably the last big show, and “Green Grass and High Tides” was the best live song I’ve ever heard.
As Wavy Gravy said, "If you remember the 70's you weren't there".

Reaction Score
The Rolling Stones at Toad's Place in New Haven in the late 80's.

A friend had tickets to see a local band there and gave me one. He wouldn't take money for the ticket so I promised him a beer, which probably exceeded the cost of the ticket. It was not known that the Stones would be performing at such a small venue that night. It was s surprise performance, a warm up for the upcoming world tour. The place was packed with a few hundred people. Many didn't look like the normal scruffy crowd. We knew something was up and when we heard, "Ladies and gentlemen - The Rolling Stones" we knew what it was. A great concert up close.

Reaction Score

A friend had tickets to see a local band there and gave me one. He wouldn't take money for the ticket so I promised him a beer, which probably exceeded the cost of the ticket. It was not known that the Stones would be performing at such a small venue that night. It was s surprise performance, a warm up for the upcoming world tour. The place was packed with a few hundred people. Many didn't look like the normal scruffy crowd. We knew something was up and when we heard, "Ladies and gentlemen - The Rolling Stones" we knew what it was. A great concert up close.

I recall when that happened, yeah that was big news after the fact.

Reaction Score
Springsteen April 1976, Cameron Indoor stadium. I had a 6 dollar general admission ticket. My mother dropped me off at the door and I sold it and bought an 8 dollar, 16th row seat, middle of the stage. I think it was my third concert. Ive seen him 44 times since.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Springsteen April 1976, Cameron Indoor stadium. I had a 6 dollar general admission ticket. My mother dropped me off at the door and I sold it and bought an 8 dollar, 16th row seat, middle of the stage. I think it was my third concert. Ive seen him 44 times since.
44x? What the heck kind of "fan" are you and not have seen him 50x. Hand in your badge pretender.

I was the laundry room of my building one day talking to a guy about live concerts. I was telling him about how I'd been a big Santana fan back in the day and was at the NY Fillmore concert when a 15 year old Neal Schon made his debut with Carlos. I told him about how Neal left to form Journey with Aynsley Dunbar and Gregg Rolie and I saw their first NY performance somewhere I've since forgotten. He then told me he'd seen Journey 40x. I really respect you committed fans. Y'all are what popular music is all about.

Reaction Score

Always wondered if someone that was there that night would surface here. Had to be a lifetime memory.

Reaction Score
Chubby Checker at the Athenian Lounge right here in Bristol Ct in the early 80s! I was a bouncer and we locked the doors 15 minutes before the show started! About 700 people and that was 76 above legal capacity! Turned away several hundred at door and about 100 stayed in parking lot and listened and partied the night away! Amazing Guy!!!

Reaction Score
Zappa, summer 67, Garrick Theater NYC, amazing
Jimi Hendrix, Bushnell & Bridgeport
Dead, anytime at all
BoDeans, anytime at all
Billy Joel, twice this summer at MSG, numerous at Civic Center
Garth, New Haven and Worchester
Pink Floyd
Roger Waters
Willie Nelson
Vince Gill
Newport Jazz and Folk Festivals
Watkins Glen
etc.
I love live music, any live music

Reaction Score
Tony Bennett at the Newport Jazz Festival 8/10/2002 ...performed outdoors at the Newport Tennis Hall of Fame stadium court on a perfect starry summer night . While Tony still does concerts, this may have been his last major concert while he still had his full range and power in his voice. Entire concert is available on you tube.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Tony Bennett at the Newport Jazz Festival 8/10/2002 ...performed outdoors at the Newport Tennis Hall of Fame stadium court on a perfect starry summer night . While Tony still does concerts, this may have been his last major concert while he still had his full range and power in his voice. Entire concert is available on you tube.
Hate to disappoint you but that man can still belt a song. He didn't start his career as a master interpreter but boy, did he turn out one. Although Johnny Mathis is still alive and is a great stylist, this guy is the last great master interpreter from years gone by. Triple like.

Reaction Score
Christie - Benidorm, Spain 1970
Herman's Hermits- Torrejon, Spain 1971
America and Jackson Brown - Tanglewood 1974
Taj Mahal - Denver 1978
Marshall Tucker - Red Rocks - 1978, 1979
Chuck Mangione - Red Rocks - 1980
Moody Blues Red Rocks - 1980
Laura Nyro - Indy - 1987
CSN&Y - Indy 2007

Reaction Score
Dylan-Bushnell '65, my first
Jimi-Maine/Providence
Doors-Providence/New Haven
Jefferson Airplane-New Haven
Cream - Providence
NRPS-New Bedford
Chuck Mangione-Finger Lakes
James Taylor-many times
CSNY - Hartford
Railroad Earth-22 and counting
Further, Joe Russo's Almost Dead, and Dead and Company a bunch
Flogging Molly-New Haven, my new favorite and I get to see them in Worcester in a few weeks
Holly Bowling-this past Thursday at Stage One in Fairfield

I believe I like live music of any kind.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
When people began standing throughout the concert, we stopped going to concerts.

Reaction Score
Chubby Checker at the Athenian Lounge right here in Bristol Ct in the early 80s! I was a bouncer and we locked the doors 15 minutes before the show started! About 700 people and that was 76 above legal capacity! Turned away several hundred at door and about 100 stayed in parking lot and listened and partied the night away! Amazing Guy!!!
Did you know that Chubby Checker used to show up at the CT Sun games every once and awhile when his daughter played for them? I think I saw him there twice. I loved the Peppermint Twist.

Reaction Score
U2 in an unannounced concert on the streets of San Francisco during my lunch hour. Of course, I was a little late getting back to work. What a day!

Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Bonnie Raitt and others at a no nukes concert in Madison Square Garden on Bruce's birthday. Already loved Bruce, but didn't know the others. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers absolutely blew me away. They had just come out with Damn the Torpedoes and rocked the place sliding out on their knees with guitars ablazing.

Bruce Springsteen, Peter Gabriel, and others at Human Rights Now! concert. It was also on Bruce's birthday. (I also saw him one other time on my birthday). I was a huge fan of Peter Gabriel at the time. That was a spiritual experience. Mind-blowing. I guess Roy Orbison was there, but Gabriel's part of the show so impressed me I don't remember much else.

Todd Rundgren and Utopia in Central Park at the rink. There was a light rain that day and it only added to the drama. Todd sounded like nobody could sound better that day and the whole band sounded beautiful. It was very Beatlesque. They were wearing uniforms, if I remember correctly, and they had just come out with their concept album Road to Utopia.

Any of the six Queen concerts I saw. They sounded different in concert than they did on albums, but just as great. Freddie Mercury was the greatest showman. Brian May put on a great show to as did the others. Consistently excellent every time I saw them.

Honorable mention. David Bowie's Glass Spider tour concert at Spartan's stadium in San Jose, California. I loved the extravagance.

Also have to mention the Talking Heads in Forest Hills and Madness in a theater in Manhattan. At both, everyone danced like it was the last day. A total trip.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom