OT - Live Concerts, your favorite? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT - Live Concerts, your favorite?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Never been to a live concert..... I've said in the past the only performer I'd care to go see would be James Taylor. Lo and Behold... he's coming to town in May.... along with Bonnie Raitt.
ever saw UConn vs Duke... Geno as the Maestro? Greatest performers ever

Reaction Score
The Who and The Clash at Shea Stadium
Elton John, back when he was still balding, and wore boas and crazy glasses.
The Concert for Walden Woods at Foxboro (Aerosmith, Don Henley, Elton John, Jimmy Buffet, Melissa Etheridge and Sting)
Rod Stewart at the Meadows
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers at the Meadows (RIP)

honorable mention: John Fogerty and John Mellancamp at the Meadows.... purely just for John Fogerty's set. He blew that other guy right out of the water.

Reaction Score
Top Five

Bruce Springsteen at the Stony Pony
Isaac Hayes at the Garden State Arts Center (GSAC)
Whitney Houston at GSAC
Van Halen and BTO at the Continental Arena
Prince at Madison Square Garden

I was fortunate to live in the NYC metro where I saw many up and coming bands and performers at local clubs and piano bars; Madonna and Bette Midler to name a few. I saw Diana Ross at Central park and that was complete chaos- I rarely attend concerts after that experience.

Reaction Score
Top Five

Bruce Springsteen at the Stony Pony
Isaac Hayes at the Garden State Arts Center (GSAC)
Whitney Houston at GSAC
Van Halen and BTO at the Continental Arena
Prince at Madison Square Garden

I was fortunate to live in the NYC metro where I saw many up and coming bands and performers at local clubs and piano bars; Madonna and Bette Midler to name a few. I saw Diana Ross at Central park and that was complete chaos- I rarely attend concerts after that experience.
YOU SAW BRUCE AT THE STONE PONY??????????

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Never been to a live concert..... I've said in the past the only performer I'd care to go see would be James Taylor. Lo and Behold... he's coming to town in May.... along with Bonnie Raitt.
I live for live performances. But no longer those loud, garish, unwieldy, loud screamers or torturous warblers about their disenfranchisement, alienation and despair. I like small venues with world class musicians performing before adults with discerning tastes. Far more rewarding for me.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

Nice double bill! I would enthusiastically encourage you to go for it.

Reaction Score
The guy who slept on the floor of my dorm room in 1970-71 was the stage door man at the Fillmore East. I was there for the Allman Brothers 30 plus minute version of Whipping Post. In the summer of 1969 also at the Fillmore, Janis did Ball and Chain. Believe it or not, she opened for the Young Rascals.

JordyG

Reaction Score
The guy who slept on the floor of my dorm room in 1970-71 was the stage door man at the Fillmore East. I was there for the Allman Brothers 30 plus minute version of Whipping Post. In the summer of 1969 also at the Fillmore, Janis did Ball and Chain. Believe it or not, she opened for the Young Rascals.
You're talking to a guy who virtually lived at the Fillmore. I saw that concert there and 3 others including the now infamous WNET (non)broadcast which included The Byrds, Van Morrison, Elvin Bishop, Sha-Na-Na and Albert King. I say (non)broadcast because although The Allman Brothers were there they weren't included in the TV broadcast. I also saw The Allman Brothers once somewhere sometime here in NY with The Grateful Dead, and once after Duane died. Guess I was a fan huh? I was also there for the last show at the Fillmore which included The Allman Brothers, J Geils and I think Elvin Bishop.

I missed the Janis (I never got to see her) show, but I did see The Young Rascals twice, once at a Murry the K show and again at the Winter Festival For Peace show at MSG. That was also some lineup. I really loved The Rascals as well.

Reaction Score
YOU SAW BRUCE AT THE STONE PONY??????????
It was awesome!! You really don't appreciate those things when you're doing it. I was just hanging out at the shore in my twenties and we liked the Stone Pony. They had a great house band. My daughter still wears the t-shirt which is way older than she is.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
ever saw UConn vs Duke... Geno as the Maestro? Greatest performers ever

Saw it in person once, no need to ever see it again. :oops:

Nice double bill! I would enthusiastically encourage you to go for it.

Ive never met another James Taylor or Bonnie Raitt fan in my life... perhaps I could bribe someone to attend

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
1. Gladys Knight & The Pips(throughout their career)
1a. While home on leave in June 1974, I went to the Apollo Theater and saw The Voices of East Harlem, The Persuasions(highly underrated acapella group), comedian George Wallace, and Gladys Knight & The Pips on the same bill for a grand total of $5 per ticket for great seats. Talk about entertainment value.
2. The Jackson Five/Jacksons(1970-81) anywhere and everywhere from New York to LA including Lake Tahoe. I attended the Victory Tour in Denver in 1984; A huge disappointment.
3. Earth Wind & Fire(1977-78) Madison Square Garden and The Nassau Coliseum
4. Stephanie Mills at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles in 1980. She opened for Teddy Pendergrass and stole the show. Teddy never got the audience back that night.
5. In July 1972 the Rolling Stones were at Madison Square Garden(Stevie Wonder was the opening act; Imagine that). Tickets were sold in packages of four at $6.50 per ticket by lottery for which one had to submit a postcard(I do not remember if postcard submissions were limited). My postcard was one of the fortunate selections, so the train was taken into the city on a Sunday to pick up my tickets. A soon as I exited the line with my $26.00 purchase, there were hordes of people begging to purchase my tickets. I sold three of them right there for $20 a piece with every intention of attending the concert. The evening of the concert, I , again, took the train into the city and soaked in all the pre concert excitement that permeated the perimeter of the The Garden. It was electric. And there in the crowd was a stunningly attractive woman in bell bottom jeans and a tie dyed shirt holding a cardboard sign offering $25 for 1 ticket. Ignoring the attractiveness of the woman was much easier than walking away from a $18.75 profit, so I was on the next train home certain that I would one day catch The Stones in concert. It never happened. And it was not as if they broke up and quit touring. What did happen was that the ticket prices escalated past my discretionary income. I did, however, eventually see Stevie Wonder at Radio City in 1987(1988 maybe).
6. BB King at the Circle Star Theater in San Carlos CA in 1974. King opened for The Spinners, but it was King singing the blues and playing Lucille that won the night for me. There was a saxophonist in King's band that had been with him over 20 years.
7. Richard Pryor, New Year's Eve 1978, the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. Patti LaBelle was the opening act. Pryor was never funnier. it was the concert that would eventually be released as Wanted: Live in Concert.
Sorry you never got see the Stones again, but even more intriguing is whether you ever got to see the stunningly attractive woman, with or without her bell bottoms, again???

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
That's typically a mistake if the break up gets messy.
But at least it will not be because you forgot a birthday!

Reaction Score
1. Gladys Knight & The Pips(throughout their career)
1a. While home on leave in June 1974, I went to the Apollo Theater and saw The Voices of East Harlem, The Persuasions(highly underrated acapella group), comedian George Wallace, and Gladys Knight & The Pips on the same bill for a grand total of $5 per ticket for great seats. Talk about entertainment value.
2. The Jackson Five/Jacksons(1970-81) anywhere and everywhere from New York to LA including Lake Tahoe. I attended the Victory Tour in Denver in 1984; A huge disappointment.
3. Earth Wind & Fire(1977-78) Madison Square Garden and The Nassau Coliseum
4. Stephanie Mills at the Greek Theater in Los Angeles in 1980. She opened for Teddy Pendergrass and stole the show. Teddy never got the audience back that night.
5. In July 1972 the Rolling Stones were at Madison Square Garden(Stevie Wonder was the opening act; Imagine that). Tickets were sold in packages of four at $6.50 per ticket by lottery for which one had to submit a postcard(I do not remember if postcard submissions were limited). My postcard was one of the fortunate selections, so the train was taken into the city on a Sunday to pick up my tickets. A soon as I exited the line with my $26.00 purchase, there were hordes of people begging to purchase my tickets. I sold three of them right there for $20 a piece with every intention of attending the concert. The evening of the concert, I , again, took the train into the city and soaked in all the pre concert excitement that permeated the perimeter of the The Garden. It was electric. And there in the crowd was a stunningly attractive woman in bell bottom jeans and a tie dyed shirt holding a cardboard sign offering $25 for 1 ticket. Ignoring the attractiveness of the woman was much easier than walking away from a $18.75 profit, so I was on the next train home certain that I would one day catch The Stones in concert. It never happened. And it was not as if they broke up and quit touring. What did happen was that the ticket prices escalated past my discretionary income. I did, however, eventually see Stevie Wonder at Radio City in 1987(1988 maybe).
6. BB King at the Circle Star Theater in San Carlos CA in 1974. King opened for The Spinners, but it was King singing the blues and playing Lucille that won the night for me. There was a saxophonist in King's band that had been with him over 20 years.
7. Richard Pryor, New Year's Eve 1978, the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. Patti LaBelle was the opening act. Pryor was never funnier. it was the concert that would eventually be released as Wanted: Live in Concert.
I was at that Stvie wonder/ Rolling stones concert at the MSG in 72, top 5. Also frampton in 75 with Framptom comes alive and my childhood friend Bob Mayo on keyboards from our hometown of Eastchester NY. Genisis Selling England by the pound at the Academy of Music in 1974 followed by The lamb lies down on broadway at Becon Theater with Bill Bruford in 1976. Finally is Springsten at the purple onion in lower manhattan in 1974 when he debued Born to run in a bar across the street from NYU to the 250 people in the bar!!!!!

JordyG

Reaction Score
I was at that Stvie wonder/ Rolling stones concert at the MSG in 72, top 5. Also frampton in 75 with Framptom comes alive and my childhood friend Bob Mayo on keyboards from our hometown of Eastchester NY. Genisis Selling England by the pound at the Academy of Music in 1974 followed by The lamb lies down on broadway at Becon Theater with Bill Bruford in 1976. Finally is Springsten at the purple onion in lower manhattan in 1974 when he debued Born to run in a bar across the street from NYU to the 250 people in the bar!!!!!
I was at the same Stevie/Rolling Stones concert. At my show was BB King and Ike and Tina Turner as well.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Ah the megaphone years. Nice. Now was it with the musicals (glad it wasn't raided during that show) or after with him singing "Camptown Races" and such? Good thing you made it through the Asian Flu epidemic. 6 years later.

Reaction Score
Any of a number of Springsteen shows but in terms of rarity and historical performance, a band called Tarfoot, followed by Elton John as a second act ("Your Song" was a big hit and "Tumbleweed Connection" was about to be released or would soon be released), with the headlining act Derek and the Dominos in 12/70 in Chicago. The only disappointment was that Duane Allman was not on stage with Eric.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Any of a number of Springsteen shows but in terms of rarity and historical performance, a band called Tarfoot, followed by Elton John as a second act ("Your Song" was a big hit and "Tumbleweed Connection" was about to be released or would soon be released), with the headlining act Derek and the Dominos in 12/70 in Chicago. The only disappointment was that Duane Allman was not on stage with Eric.
Duane only appeared once live with them if I'm not mistaken and that was at the Fillmore East.

Reaction Score
Ah the megaphone years. Nice. Now was it with the musicals (glad it wasn't raided during that show) or after with him singing "Camptown Races" and such? Good thing you made it through the Asian Flu epidemic. 6 years later.

I look amazing for 130 yrs old huh.

Reaction Score
Duane only appeared once live with them if I'm not mistaken and that was at the Fillmore East.

I have a very, very bad bootleg recording somewhere of Duane performing with Derek and the Dominos at one of two shows in Florida. I'm not sure about his performing with them at the Fillmore East but it might have happened as you said. I know that such appearances were very rare, and Derek and the Dominos were only together about seven months anyway.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I have a very, very bad bootleg recording somewhere of Duane performing with Derek and the Dominos at one of two shows in Florida. I'm not sure about his performing with them at the Fillmore East but it might have happened as you said. I know that such appearances were very rare, and Derek and the Dominos were only together about seven months anyway.
Then clearly I'm mistaken. I only saw Eric once, but that was with Blindfaith at MSG here in NYC. Never with Creame.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Saw James Taylor in concert either last year or more likely the year before when he came to Tucson. Enjoyed it, not because he is necessarily great in concert, but his performance was spot on and he is very personable with the audience. Caused me to buy a couple of CD's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom