Oregon Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I couldn't help thinking:
What goes around, comes around.
Tonight was a game that was quite familiar...except that the better team wasn't UConn.
We used to do this to everybody all the time...Now the shoe was on the other foot

But, I wasn't particularly upset or screaming at the TV or not watching.
To have won tonight , everything would have had to come together...it didn't.
And I'm sure the team was in a partial state of shock at the last minute scratch.
But they came out and played BB

I really liked that as the game developed and the loss was certain, there was no sense of entitlement, no moping; they competed if somewhat futilely right up to the end.

We've all seen much more experienced players than Caroline trying to win the game by herself...
Skylar Diggins for example in the NCAA semi-final in Stewie's first year...Doesn't usually work, and it didn't tonight.

This is a team that needs to work on a bunch of things if they are going to be successful against top-ten teams...and Oregon is a top-ten team.
They have to find a way to get Dorka involved for example.

But rather than critique individual players, lets look at the big picture, At the moment, they're not a top-ten team...far from it. They'll have to work their way back, baby steps even when the stars return.

Th question is how good can they be...I don't know. But perhaps, pretty darned
It will be a fascinating journey of (hopefully) big improvement
Enjoy it, buckle up...Lots and lots of up and downs ahead.

A UConn season unlike any in recent memory.
Yep. One thing that is providing a glimmer is that we are watching a team that has had to make several key adjustments really on the fly. So maybe when Paige returns that will be a blessing in disguise. More flexibility. Christyn‘s absence hopefully will be short, but now they are adjusting to that. Caroline is obviously coming through big time, and hopefully when the others return she can become more selective and even more effective. Azzi is a big wild card. She provided some hints of what she can do but was slowed by her injury. She will be coming back as a freshman who missed a lot of time both in practice and games. All of this has made the season way more,um interesting. Enough already.

Reaction Score
Question for those who believe UConn will rebound when everyone is back, who was injured for the South Carolina game, that would have made a difference? Saylor and Mir are both gone, and Griffin is out for the season.
CW is playing better, Caroline has become a solid, good player, Liv is transforming herself into a much tougher, more effort driven player, and Nika and Azzi will be healthy.

Reaction Score
How was Ducharme's scoring deceptive? Yes, she struggled from three. She also made numerous scoring plays that nearly all of the rest of the roster could only dream of making. If she had hit 4-8 from three she'd have finished 13-21 for 29 points which everyone would've said is spectacular, especially on the road in a hostile environment. Her performance was about the only reason to watch in the end.
I thought twice about posting given the inevitable rebut. I did not say Ducharme played a poor game. She made some wonderful baskets. I love her play as a freshman. But she simply missed a number of "makeable" open three point shots. It matters because she was the team's best outside option today. And she took more shots than any other two UConn players combined. I'd guess she may well make many of the same shots her next game. Today, if Ducharme scored 29, which was absolutely possible, UConn would only have trailed by a single basket at the end of the game. BTW - goodness help UConn if they wilt in "hostile environments" - that's pretty much the road norm and why the past decades have been so phenomenal.

Reaction Score
Geno said in a pre-game interview that Dorka did not practice Sunday because of a “tender knee”. Still she played and gave it her all.

Also, body rhythm is disrupted by jet lag, which the team had to be suffering from after a 3,000 mile flight the afternoon before. Jet lag creates problems both physically and mentally. Geno was also complaining prior to the game about the flight being delayed. Obviously, a later flight increases the effects of jet lag.

Not totally surprising the team struggled even if you don’t add the loss of CW.

Reaction Score
Some had to turn the game off in the 2nd half; I couldn't get past the first page here. Needing another Big East blowout and soon

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno said in a pre-game interview that Dorka did not practice Sunday because of a “tender knee”. Still she played and gave it her all.

Also, body rhythm is disrupted by jet lag, which the team had to be suffering from after a 3,000 mile flight the afternoon before. Jet lag creates problems both physically and mentally. Geno was also complaining prior to the game about the flight being delayed. Obviously, a later flight increases the effects of jet lag.

Not totally surprising the team struggled even if you don’t add the loss of CW.
During halftime of the Xavier game, Geno also said she “took a shot” in the Butler game that may have slowed her

Reaction Score
Actually, Geno raved about her athleticism. He never said she knew how to play basketball. Those are two entirely different things.
#15 prospect nationally Hoopgurls 2021
#3 at her position
6’5”
Geno RAVES about her “athleticism”.
Can’t get 1 minute midway through the season in a blowout on an injury riddled team?
Houston , we have a problem?
Poor scouting?
Poor coaching?
Zero development?
What gives?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
#3 at her position
6’5”
Can’t get 1 minute midway through the season in a blowout on an injury riddled team?
Poor scouting?
Poor coaching?
Zero development?
What gives?
He needed guards not another post player. He played 4 forwards and 2 guards today

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A friendly tip to all UConn WBB fans outside of the ESPN 97.9 radio broadcast market in Hartford. We can now listen to Bob Joyce’s pre and post-game show, as well as his call of the game. You can’t listen to his shows in line.

They substitute alternative programming for “on-line” listeners during the games. The varsity radio network carries the entire game from start to finish, and it’s free unlike Tune-in. With all due respect, I’d much rather listen to Bob and Debbi than Gary and Kara. Bob also features a portion of Geno‘s post game presser after every game, SNY does not. I’d rather hear Geno’s take on the game rather than Kara’s.

If SNY does not broadcast the game (like today), you get nothing. For those fans in other states, this is great news. :) I listened to Joyce’s post game show today and loved it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
ONO needed more touches. Our guards have to be better at passing once the bigs are sealing and working hard in the paint. DJ and AE need to get the ball down low. Also I know Carolina is a freshman but the freshman mistakes she makes is the selfish ones like shot selection, forcing and I thought she was a 3 point shooter?? She’ll get better. I don’t know what’s going on with Westbrook. Did we assume she’s better than what she really is?? Sorry to complain about today’s game where I know 3 of our best players is out just hate other teams fans and media flex on us like they don’t know we are without our best. What I noticed about this season people hate UConn and only talk trash when we’re down.

Reaction Score
She had 24 points against Louisville

33 Ducharme, Caroline

Ducharme, Caroline

Position:GHeight:6-2Bio:Full BioClass:FreshmanHometown:Milton, Mass.High School:Noble & Greenough School
Ducharme, Caroline - Game Statistics
DateOpponentPTSMINFGM-FGA3PM-3PAFTM-FTAREBASTBLKSTLTOPF
11/14/21Arkansas040-00-00-0000011
11/20/21Minnesota4121-20-12-2201102
11/21/21South Fla.030-00-00-0100101
12/03/21Seton Hall060-10-10-0000012
12/05/21Notre Dame14145-93-51-2301020
12/09/21Georgia Tech2291-50-30-0500033
12/11/21UCLA14324-132-64-4222113
12/19/21Louisville244010-203-91-2821033
01/09/22Creighton17387-132-61-2523223
01/12/22Butler18286-133-83-3202023
01/15/22Xavier20326-174-104-4750433
01/17/22Oregon224010-211-81-1320051
She had 24 points against Louisville

33 Ducharme, Caroline

Ducharme, Caroline

Position:GHeight:6-2Bio:Full BioClass:FreshmanHometown:Milton, Mass.High School:Noble & Greenough School
Ducharme, Caroline - Game Statistics
DateOpponentPTSMINFGM-FGA3PM-3PAFTM-FTAREBASTBLKSTLTOPF
11/14/21Arkansas040-00-00-0000011
11/20/21Minnesota4121-20-12-2201102
11/21/21South Fla.030-00-00-0100101
12/03/21Seton Hall060-10-10-0000012
12/05/21Notre Dame14145-93-51-2301020
12/09/21Georgia Tech2291-50-30-0500033
12/11/21UCLA14324-132-64-4222113
12/19/21Louisville244010-203-91-2821033
01/09/22Creighton17387-132-61-2523223
01/12/22Butler18286-133-83-3202023
01/15/22Xavier20326-174-104-4750433
01/17/22Oregon224010-211-81-1320051
Thanks, HuskyNan. I appreciate the documentation.

My point to LarryLegend was that he said Caroline played today like she did in her first few games, which basically were spent on the bench.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
A friendly tip to all UConn WBB fans outside of the ESPN 97.9 broadcast market. We can now listen to Bob Joyce’s pre and post-game show, as well as his call of the game. You can’t listen to his shows in line.

They substitute alternative programming for “on-line” listeners during the games. The varsity radio network carries the entire program, and it’s free unlike Tune-in. With all due respect, I’d much rather listen to Bob and Debbi than Gary and Kara. If SNY does not broadcast the game (like today), you get nothing. For those fans in other states, this is great news. :) I listened to Joyce’s post game show today and loved it.
I always listen to Bob and Debbie. I've gotten the TV/audio synch down with my DVR and watching the games are way, way more enjoyable for me over any of the various TV commentators.

The Varsity network has one quirk. I used to be able to use tune-in audio on my computer. The Varsity App unfortunately is not available on windows so I need to listen to the audio from my iphone where the app is available.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Question for those who believe UConn will rebound when everyone is back, who was injured for the South Carolina game, that would have made a difference? Saylor and Mir are both gone, and Griffin is out for the season.
me. i believe that they 'will rebound when everyone is back", and pass, and assist, and score, jump, hop, and dance, too.

ur question is ridiculous.

here's the boxscore.
04 South Carolina Box (PDF) - University of Connecticut Athletics
please tell us how many minutes cd played, cuz i can't seem to find any. this game? can't seem to find minutes played by paige, azzi, aubrey, or, for good measure just becuz, cw.

Reaction Score
From the box score it looks like the big gaps were 3 point shooting and turnovers. I also remember several easy lay-ups were missed.

Four players had 7 makes out of 27 tries and a total of 20 points. Two players accounted for 17 makes out of 30 for 39 points. if you don’t have balanced shooting, it makes it easier for their defense to guard our players.

Need to work on shooting and take the shots when open. Some will go in and there will be fewer turnovers…

Good effort for a short handed team. Can only get better from here…

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I thought twice about posting given the inevitable rebut. I did not say Ducharme played a poor game. She made some wonderful baskets. I love her play as a freshman. But she simply missed a number of "makeable" open three point shots. It matters because she was the team's best outside option today. And she took more shots than any other two UConn players combined. I'd guess she may well make many of the same shots her next game. Today, if Ducharme scored 29, which was absolutely possible, UConn would only have trailed by a single basket at the end of the game. BTW - goodness help UConn if they wilt in "hostile environments" - that's pretty much the road norm and why the past decades have been so phenomenal.

She missed some threes, yes. Outside of that not sure what the issue is. And there is no way UConn would've been within a 2/3 points had Ducharme made a few threes. That was a rout; closing the gap in garbage time is nice for the score but not indicative of the game.

Reaction Score
But Coach has RAVED about Amari multiple times.
I haven’t seen her play enough to form an opinion.
So why the misrepresentation by Geno??
If what you say is true?
He says she has some skills and Gabriel works hard. That doesn’t mean he’s ready to put them out there to get run over by quality bigs. Butler is all they’re ready for right now.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
ONO needed more touches. Our guards have to be better at passing once the bigs are sealing and working hard in the paint. DJ and AE need to get the ball down low. Also I know Carolina is a freshman but the freshman mistakes she makes is the selfish ones like shot selection, forcing and I thought she was a 3 point shooter?? She’ll get better. I don’t know what’s going on with Westbrook. Did we assume she’s better than what she really is?? Sorry to complain about today’s game where I know 3 of our best players is out just hate other teams fans and media flex on us like they don’t know we are without our best. What I noticed about this season people hate UConn and only talk trash when we’re down.
Have you watched any of the other games that Caroline has been a starter? She carried the offense in every one. Today because of Christyn's unavailability, I think Caroline was putting too much pressure on herself and her 3s were not falling and that also helped her having 5 TOs. But she still led the team in scoring, again.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
You are right. I'm sure Geno thought the same thing. Scoring is the problem. Uconn can't always be a good defensive team against top teams, accept it. So, Offense is all that's left. Put the ball in the basket. Layups, even 4th graders do it well and the basket is much further away for them. Recruit scorers Geno!!
Cmon. We know he has one elite scorer, who happens to be the best college guard sitting. We know he has another kid who has missed most of the season who came in as possibly the most highly regarded pure shooter ever. And then there is Caroline. and Christyn I believe was pretty highly sought after. Poffenbarger was considered a shooter. Failure to recruit shooters has not been the case. if anything, it’s missing a quality bulky center.

While sometimes I briefly lurk the Chat but don’t join because I think play by play reactions are often funny but pretty useless, there were comments about giving playing time today to Plaith and Amari. If there was ever a time when the kids on the floor needed as much time as possible together, it’s now and under today’s conditions. They started to come around in the second half notwithstanding a brief 3 point Oregon hot streak in the 3rd period. I understand the idea of getting bench players some useful minutes, but I think today was not the time.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
me. i believe that they 'will rebound when everyone is back", and pass, and assist, and score, jump, hop, and dance, too.

ur question is ridiculous.

here's the boxscore.
04 South Carolina Box (PDF) - University of Connecticut Athletics
please tell us how many minutes cd played, cuz i can't seem to find any. this game? can't seem to find minutes played by paige, azzi, aubrey, or, for good measure just becuz, cw.
Paige played against SC and so didn't Christyn, right? Not sure what you are referring to.

Reaction Score
Larry, I don't recall Caroline scoring 22 points in any of her first few games. Can you straighten me out on that one, please.
Her 3 point shooting which had been money the past several games went into the toilet today - she was way I mean WAY off most of her attempts. Also she fumbled the ball out of bounds at least 3 times that I can specifically remember. This was the kind of stuff she was doing earlier. She competed whole way through and was good in close.

Reaction Score
That is a puzzling trend I’ve noticed
It’s because when the defense gets up on them Muhl and Westbrook can’t look past the defender and see the cuts and the posts. And if they do try to make the pass, it’s two seconds late and the defense has reacted.

Reaction Score
#3 at her position
6’5”
Poor scouting?
Poor coaching?
Zero development?
What gives?
Eventually you will learn that all those rankings ( hoopgurlz, blueStar, ESPN) are not worth the paper they’re written on. What you can do against college competition is all that natters. If she could help the team she would be playing. She’s not ready yet. Big usually take longer to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom