Oregon Post Game Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Oregon Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The problem is that 1) ONO is playing at the high post and 2) Dorka is a forward, not a post.

The ONO at the high post experiment should be dust binned ASAP.

We need her, ONO, in the blocks down low which will force teams out of perimeter defenses and allow UCONN to create shots with ball movement, which is UCONNs bread-and-butter. Can't create good perimeter shots when the other team can deploy four perimeter defenders. This high post was to accommodate Dorka who is better on offense in both scoring and rebounding. It just hasn't worked as expected.
Maybe E could play 3 and flash to the post. She can pass and/or hit that shot. Not crazy. He had Gabby (I know she's a leaper) up there for 4 years. Get Dorka, Liv, and AE on the blocks where they belong. Hi-Lo action. We watched it for years with Gabby and Phees. E can't make anything happen out front as a guard. We know she has a little savviness in the lane.

Reaction Score
I felt proud of the UCONN women, traveling across the country and playing the scheduled game. I don't know what they went through, missing 4 games with the covid protocols and now missing another talented teammate, because of covid. Every time they travel, they must be concerned about becoming ill. I know that I worry about leaving the house to shop for groceries. So I was thinking about the toll all this worry must take on these women. And they chose to play his game today. I'm proud of them for showing up.

Reaction Score
I certainly wasn’t trying to shortchange Kelly’s abilities. She’s one of my favorite players. But she started out as a pretty lousy shooter, and yes, got better. Hope the same is true for Nike.
As a player, you have to take advantage of opportunities. This is Nika's time. Right now! Who knows, she may not get another one. UConn is thick at guard. Duh. Remember PB and .
Guaranteed, Nika shot 500 shots a day while she was gimping around with a bad foot. (if she didn't, why didn't she?) Never seen so many foot injuries in my life. Step up Nika! This is your time!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It's on line if you use Apple or android products but there is no way to listen on my PC any more. The varsity network directs listeners to a download page that has 2 options, Apple or Android. That's rinkydink. Or did UConn get paid to exclude PC connections? This has been offered to PC users for decades and I like to listen to Joyce while watching the game, even if they were off by several seconds. Soon I expect to need a Facebook account to watch games.
I should have mentioned that you can only listen to the feed via the app which is only available on an Apple or android phone. It would be nice if we could access the feed on our computers. I’m happy to be able to get it any way I can. I really don’t care for the pre or post game shows on SNY, they’re better than nothing.

Reaction Score
Here's one more.
What if Geno turned this thing around by flipping the script and making his team feel like they are the underdogs, the upstarts. Like he did his first 10 years, before Rebecca. Stop the droning about being disappointed in your guards, blah, blah, blah.
Tell me that these kids wouldn't respond to something like that. CW, E, Dorka, AE, the bigs if they get in. They would eat it up. Play underdog until the cavalry comes back. Geno is the master communicator. Come in tomorrow, Geno, like you did for about 10 years with the attitude of lower expectations, you're going to fight for 40 minutes, like a bunch of junk yard dogs, and you're gunna be one tough out for anybody that you meet. Get all that luggage off the backs of those kids. Let them loose and start having some fun. Forget about the records, the .800 winning percentage, all that.
Take the crown off for a month or so and get down and dirty with these teams. No UConn swagger that you can't back up. Get in the trenches and duke it out. The kids would love it!!! When PB comes back, like when Norman Dale got Jimmy Chitwood with the team, "with Jimmy, we're hitting on all cylinders" (or something like that).

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Paige, Azzi, Caroline is going to be a lethal lineup at the 1-2-3 next season once everybody is 100% healthy.

I know UConn fans want to win today but if I'm a Husky fan I'm looking at that potential lineup next season and I'm salivating. Ducharme is the truth and probably the most impressive freshman I've seen yet this season.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
You may be right, but they do talk about the “eye test”. If UConn looks like UConn in those games (ie, consistent 20+ point wins), it might make a difference.
Possibly, but I dont see the committee valuing game results vs most Big East teams. The level of competition that UCONN would face in the tournament is vastly different than the level most Big East opponents play at.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I haven’t seen or heard Geno’s post game presser for today’s game. And I have not read the 11 pages of post game comments. Does anyone know if Geno mentioned why he did not play Amari today?

Reaction Score
We can only assess the players who played the game. A terrible display of UCONN basketball.

CW wouldn’t have been the difference in this one

Nika we love her you but they are not even bothering to guard her close because just don’t shoot.

Dorka needs to show us why Geno thought she was good

Evina has just disappeared.

CD must have been told to shoot it early and often. No problem with that based on the 3 mentioned above.

AE .??????? Had the highest of hopes. She’s gone backwards.

ONO…IF she continues to play like this, she will be rewarded with with a pretty high draft pick
How do you say we can only assess the players who played the game and then start the assessment saying something negative about Christyn? This group loves to hate CW.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I haven’t seen or heard Geno’s post game presser for today’s game. And I have not read the 11 pages of post game comments. Does anyone know if Geno mentioned why he did not play Amari today?

Don't think he was asked, but I can tell you why. She would've gotten eaten up in that environment.

Reaction Score
The year of the snakebite continues. CW seemed to be re-emerging as a force on offense and on defense. I am hoping that she can regain her momentum on Friday after surviving the COVID protocol.

Reaction Score
It feels like whatever contract we signed with the devil For four national championships the payments are due and we are a couple late. What can go wrong has gone wrong. If anyone is expecting Azzi to be The savior you may want to rethink that considering she is still only a freshman and so far hasn’t really shown consistently that she can be that Savior. I know she has had limited minutes but in those minutes she has shown that she is still a freshman. The injury to Aubrey is a difficult pill to swallow she would’ve been a big asset to this team with her defense her energy and speed plus she was just flat out enjoyable to watch. With so many games left there’s time for recovery And this team to jel and show the nation that they will be in the hunt for a championship come March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom