Oregon Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
#15 prospect nationally Hoopgurls 2021
#3 at her position
6’5”
Geno RAVES about her “athleticism”.
Can’t get 1 minute midway through the season in a blowout on an injury riddled team?
Houston , we have a problem?
Poor scouting?
Poor coaching?
Zero development?
What gives?
GIF by Leroy Patterson

Reaction Score
I guess coach wanted the six players to know how it feels to lose, in front of a hostile crowd. And for each player to acknowledge their role in that loss. And to be on the court against a quality team for forty minutes, rather than Xavier or Butler. He has the rings, so I won't question his motivation.

Here is what I saw;

1. Olivia is battling and working 100%. But that hot shooting we saw from 12-14 feet against Xavier went away. So Oregon could ignore her outside the paint.
2. Dorka is not at Olivia's level. She can be fine against Butler, but she has bad hands and her shot is not dependable.
3. Edwards is a more limited player than any of us imagined. She has no shot. Her contribution is hustle and defense. A decent substitute for limited periods of time. She has few qualities of a true BIG, and fewer still as a wing.
4. Westbrook. I keep thinking " she has lost her passion for the game." Sloppy, slow and not taking charge at all. At her " homecoming."
5. Muhl. She was over-used in this game. Physically not ready to go 100% that long. Not for lack of trying. Hopefully, she'll get her shooting touch back. Because Oregon knew they almost didn't have to guard anyone against a three.
6. Caroline had her worst day on offense. And she wasn't that great with the ball in her hands either. Couldn't buy a shot. But she did not give up and still made plays. A good sign ( if we needed one ). And I know someone is going to tell me she scored 20 or so. Doesn't matter. She was throwing up bricks all day.
7. Coach. I wanted to see Gabriel and DeBerry again, in meaningful minutes. My view was; why not? Maybe their size and fight could shake Oregon up a bit. And it would be good for them to compete against a real team for once. So, I was disappointed. Again, I defer to Geno. His reasons are better than mine.

I can't imagine playing South Carolina in a week of so.
Caroline's "worst" day on offense, when she "couldn't buy a shot", resulted in 22 points - and it matters a lot. She had some awesome plays too, including a nice little up and under left handed lay in. She rushed a couple of three's, but that kid is a skilled player, and we should be ecstatic that she is not afraid to assert herself.

Reaction Score
I keep thinking of Geno saying the FF team from last year was pouty and had some growing up to do. The players seem to think they have the mentality of ‘we’re ready to pummel any opponent in our way’ and then wilt when they play a team that counters them. IMO a lot of the players here now are all bark no bite no fight…

Reaction Score
After the last 3 games here is what I have learned.
1. Dorka has Natalie’s hands
2. A player can be the leading scorer while looking bad
3.Liv has had a really good season so far
4.We are still the Beast of the Big East

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Paige played against SC and so didn't Christyn, right? Not sure what you are referring to.
@ClifSpliffy was referring to the 0 Minutes for Caroline in the South Carolina game. :eek: Sure that's the reason UCONN lost to South Carolina.

Reaction Score
He needed guards not another post player. He played 4 forwards and 2 guards today
Again, game was over in the 3rd quarter.
Coulda, shoulda given her some experience.
Some on this board tout her ability for double doubles next year.
REALLY???
HaHaHa

Reaction Score
Game outcome was not a surprise for me. I had Oregon by 12 even w/CW playing! Simply put, the team doesnt have the talent nor the execution needed to beat good teams right now. That might change with a healthy Paige & Azzi, but not now.

Main problem is this team simply cant score consistently in a half-court offense. No cohesion, no timing, lots of confusion. Ono & Dorka are trying to post, but the guards are oblivious to the fact. Other times, the guards are just telegraphing the pass inside, making it so easy to double/triple-team the post, resulting in turnovers. The guards/forwards have no idea when to drive and dish. Finally, the team's last resort are 3-pointers and they are currently NOT a good 3-pointing team! Why keep shooting them?!? For example, why in the world are Dorka & ONO throwing up 3-pointers?!? Makes no sense. So, its a mess right now.

Reaction Score
Dorka did not exactly disappear she was open several times and did not get the ball. She became discouraged and then ragged.
+1

There were several plays early where both Juhasz and later Ducharme were wide wide open behind the arc and were ignored. Juhasz waved frantically from the left arc because she was totally uncovered. They got her the ball 10 seconds later when she was defended. She missed but I almost read her lips saying "too late". Ducharme was in the right corner alone twice but the pass went inside to a player who was being doubled by Ducharme's defender. I know they must have heard me scream into the TV. :)

Reaction Score
UConn actually had more rebounds. As several have pointed out, one can’t beat a team like Oregon without decent shooting from the arc. The turnovers were predictable when there were no subs at the 1-2-3 positions. Dorka probably shouldn’t have played either; hopefully, she won’t have to miss Friday’s game.

Reaction Score
Really tough game to watch. Tonight we felt like other teams feel when they play us. It’s not very fun. I’m sure for the players, it was even tougher to play…and away from home with a long trip ahead.

The team is what it is. It’s not our normal UConn play, but it’s also not normal times. We found out that we aren’t invincible, and that’s okay. The players need our support more than ever right now.

Such a great game by ONO. I saw grit and determination from her. She’s getting it, and is preparing for next year.

People forget that Nika is a very important player for our team. She brings intangibles no one else brings. But players like her work their magic when they are used strategically. When Nika plays the whole game, the opposing team has time to figure her out. If she is played strategically, she can pop in and out and disrupt. Not enough players for her to do that. She just came back from injury, so she’s not at max fitness, and she still did what she could for 40 minutes.

Caroline is a treat. A tough game for her, but I’m sure she will use it to grow.

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
+1

There were several plays early where both Juhasz and later Ducharme were wide wide open behind the arc and were ignored. Juhasz waved frantically from the left arc because she was totally uncovered. They got her the ball 10 seconds later when she was defended. She missed but I almost read her lips saying "too late". Ducharme was in the right corner alone twice but the pass went inside to a player who was being doubled by Ducharme's defender. I know they must have heard me scream into the TV. :)
This is incredible! I think you and I watched the same game. Wow!

Reaction Score
Lots of adversity. This game was a gut check. I want to look at the positives.

Liv showed up -- big time. I was really impressed.

CD is a gamer. Her emergence has been the highlight of the season

Nika, love her energy and effort, but she neeeds to give more than 3 points, 2 assists and 4 TO's on offense

Dorka played hard but really struggled on D

AE is my favorite player, but it is remarkable how her play has dropped off this year

Evina, in my mind the biggest disappointment. Since UCLA has disappeared. When we are back at full strength, can't see her getting much PT.
Nika is a wonderful “complementary” player. Reminds me of early Kelly Farris… who also couldn’t shoot. Nika’s not intended or capable of playing a significant offensive role. She fits perfectly with a team that includes Paige, Azzi, CW and the rest. The current group - unfortunately, not so much.

Reaction Score
If you take two starters, both heavily involved in the offense flow and possibly your best on ball defender in CW from any top 20 team you will get similar results. Now throw in and Audrey, you are down three all American type guards and your best defender in AG. Anyone expecting a competitive team needs to analyse what is currently on the sideline and just came back.

Reaction Score
I may be in the minority here, but I’m not buying that Paige/Azzi/Aubrey/now Christyn’s absences are to blame for this absolutely ghastly showing. And I think part of it is because there are narratives about players that make them seem better than they actually are in terms of output.

For example: we all love Nika; she is a spark plug who cares about winning more than she cares about herself. But technically, Nika simply is not and never has been a good enough PG for a UConn basketball team, particularly on the offensive end. She is unreliable at best from 3, refuses to take it to the hoop, and has generally poor court vision. Evina is the kind on- and off-court leader, but she is streaky and regresses when she is put under pressure, as we’ve seen the past few games. Aaliyah had so much fire in her belly last year, but has looked disengaged, unfocused, and unable to produce over most if not all 13 games this season. A travel on an open layup? It’s absolutely inexcusable. And Dorka opened the season big at the exhibition, and has had a few decent games, but is so in her own head that she can’t get into a flow. With these four in such deep funks, the team is already hampered.

So, injuries matter, yes, but the play of these four has in any event been frankly atrocious and below standard for any UConn program. Why, I don’t know. I suspect Geno has theories and is trying to figure it out himself. And he may well be part of the problem, too. But something has to change with these four, or we are in for a very rocky few weeks.

Reaction Score

No pure shooters, that want the ball and can get shots off quickly, before the defense collapses. Of the remaining unwounded, Evina comes closest, but she is tentative, and the questions of her physical health persist. We've seen hungry shooters out there but right now we don't have them.

Reaction Score
Well, yes, but the team couldn’t stop shooting itself in the foot. The early season turnovers reappeared and the shots on offense were rushed and mostly off balance or fade away. Yes, Oregon gets some credit but opponents have been playing a zone defense all season. You’d think the Huskies would have figured it out by now.

Nika, E, and Aaliyah won’t shoot and teammates inexplicably won’t pass the ball to Dorka. Liv was a soldier and Caroline is the only one that can create so Oregon only had to guard the two of them. UConn just made it too easy for Oregon

On edit - do they practice rebounding? I was yelling at the TV for UConn to go to the offensive glass. What’s up with that?
Totally agree!

Reaction Score
For UCONN fans this makes the Tennessee game extremely important if the Huskies want to nab a top 4 seed. Stranger things have happened, but I don't see UCONN beating South Carolina in 10 days, and I'm not sure a resume with best wins being South Florida/Notre Dame can contend for a top 4 seed.
All UConn needs is to win the BET and get into the tournament. If Bueckers comes back and they winn out the committee will make allowences for when she was out and UConn will open at home. So let them be a 5 seed. It don't matter. All that matters right now is waiting for the guards to return. If Bueckers/Fudd are healthy UConn will be in the hunt. I would love to face one seed Tenn in the S16.
If nothing else the one seed who gets UConn will whine like a 2yo having a tantrum. That should be entertaining.

I remember a Vol fan telling me about the year they won the title after losing ten games. I never wanted to experience the injuries but now I'm looking forward to March/April.

Reaction Score
Caroline is still a Freshman. I hope she keeps shooting. She won 3 point competitions in high school against top competititon. She's worked hard on getting that shot off quickly. It will fall for her at a good rate soon. Hopefuly when we need it most.

I STILL think we will be fine and even in a good position by the time March hits. Paige and Azzi will provide a lot of help in the 3 point shooting, which is the biggest problem for this team. We will have more depth by then hopefully, with a very strong 7-8 player rotation. The best is yet to be.
You know, I really believe that (even though it is one of the really good things she does) she (Caroline) may be shooting a tad too fast. I think if she can improve her shot selection a little, we will see a dramatic rise in her makes. She’s still acclimating to the size and speed of college players! So glad she is at UConn!

Reaction Score
Have you watched any of the other games that Caroline has been a starter? She carried the offense in every one. Today because of Christyn's unavailability, I think Caroline was putting too much pressure on herself and her 3s were not falling and that also helped her having 5 TOs. But she still led the team in scoring, again.
Yes I’ve seen every single game. Carolina shoots every time she gets the ball lol not complaining about that because she’s basically our only scorer besides CW. But she came in as a 3 point shooter and shooting well under .30%. And again I’m not upset just disappointed of how we playing far as defense, the effort isn’t UConn basketball at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom