Oregon Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Oregon Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Have always loved EW but her game has just disintegrated. She looks like she is playing hurt. The real inexplicable one is Aliyah Edwards. She appears to have forgotten how to play.
Nelson Ododa was great. Ducharme looked like she did in the first few games.
At this point what is to be gained by rushing Bueckers back, realistically how far is this group going to go.

Reaction Score
As I mentioned on another thread before the game, when healthy Oregon could be a Top Ten team and unfortunately, they just got healthy before UConn's arrival........the loss of CW was painfully obvious at both ends of the court.........besides falling towards the back end of the Top Twenty. the only question now is whether UConn can finish the Big East season undefeated in the conference and with two games against DePaul it won't be so easy.....

Reaction Score
Well.... it is a good time for Tony's optimism. Caroline and Liv fought very hard. It was difficult for them when they fell behind. But things will get better. This will build character and make them better for the experience. Maybe, they will begin to listen better in the future.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
For UCONN fans this makes the Tennessee game extremely important if the Huskies want to nab a top 4 seed. Stranger things have happened, but I don't see UCONN beating South Carolina in 10 days, and I'm not sure a resume with best wins being South Florida/Notre Dame can contend for a top 4 seed.

Reaction Score

So I guess that means that the treadmill running hasn’t significantly irritated the foot.

Not sure what that means for the timeline. I don’t think “return to BB activities” means “return to full fledged practice,” so probably a few steps to go. Im hopeful for the Prov game at the end of the month.

Reaction Score
I'll probably get a timeout for this, but I keep seeing this narrative popping up in this thread. Simply not true. UConn started out 10-0 in a bit less than 3 minutes, finished the game 7-0 in 1:24. That means they were outscored by 30 for about 35 minutes of game time. There was no "1 bad quarter." They were dominated except a short burst at the beginning and end.
Why would you get a timeout? You are stating your opinion nothing wrong with that. The better team won today, I for one cannot wait to get everyone back...whoever that may be.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Here’s the thing. Paige makes everyone better. The threat of Paige attacking the basket gives Caroline a little more time to set herself and knock down some of the 3’s she missed tonight. Rather than working her ass off to get position in the low post without getting the ball or getting a bad entry pass late, Liv gets the ball on time and in the right spot every time from Paige. Evina’s game is day and night playing with and without Paige. You just can’t make up for the loss of your NPOY, let along Christyn, Azzi & Aubrey.
Agreed. Paige makes me a better fan. ;)

Reaction Score
Worst game I ever saw Uconn play on the most difficult court to watch a game. I have attempted to watch Oregon on other occasions. I can't watch another game on that awfully painted court. How bad UConn was, was the second worst thing about watching that game.
My wife and daughter, who don’t watch much basketball, both remarked how terrible the floor looked. I didn’t remember it looking that bad before, but it did look bad today.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Caroline was the leading scorer, which is deceptive. She had a poor outside shooting game. She was 1-8 from 3pt. range.

How was Ducharme's scoring deceptive? Yes, she struggled from three. She also made numerous scoring plays that nearly all of the rest of the roster could only dream of making. If she had hit 4-8 from three she'd have finished 13-21 for 29 points which everyone would've said is spectacular, especially on the road in a hostile environment. Her performance was about the only reason to watch in the end.

Reaction Score
Nothing but respect for your team and program. We understand the injuries you had because when we had Sabally and Prince out at different times as well as Paopao and our other guard out Rogers it was tough. One thing I will tell you is it made our backups better. It will make your reserves better too. It really battle test them. You will be there March. Glad to have your team here, classy group unlike some of our other Pac foes. Good luck!

Reaction Score
What the h e double hockey sticks was that?!?!? :eek: I don't think I've ever seen a UConn women's basketball team get their backsides handed to them like that. And I don't think I ever want to see it happen again. They had zero answers today. I know, I know, injuries have devastated the line up. But still they looked worse than bad today.

Reaction Score
I agree with all except Dorka whom I’ve been a fan of since Ohio state, plays nervous and gets herself trapped amongst other silly decisions.
great sequence by Dorka, airballs a 3 and then on the defensive end gets bullied. Maybe that's why teammates won't pass her the ball.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
OK - very tough game on the road against a good team shorthanded. UConn kept at it until the end, cutting a likely 20 pt. loss down to a 13 pt. defeat. I agree with much that has been posted, but here are a few other thoughts.

Liv was a real gamer - shot well and led the team in rebounds and assists. But she could have had an even better game, as a number of passes bounced off her hands or were knocked away.

Caroline was the leading scorer, which is deceptive. She had a poor outside shooting game. She was 1-8 from 3pt. range. UConn, as a team, shot 3-18 from three. Yeah, Geno misses Paige, but Azzi could have really helped. The 3-pt. scoring differential was -18 for UConn.

With Geno only playing 6, Nika and Aaliyah can't go scoreless until the late in the 4th Q.

Ducharme didn't shoot well from deep and had several turnovers but was the only player out there who looked like she was trying to make anything happen. Westbrook, Muhl, Edwards and Juhasz combined to shoot 7-27...should they have taken more of Ducharme's shots?

Reaction Score
We did not guard well as Oregon had many open looks and nailed them. 3's and mid-range shots. Then there were the turnovers passing as we tried to get a shot. Muhl played full speed but had a real below average game. Ono fought through some non-fouls called on her and played like someone who was ticked to be behind by so many points, thankfully. CD tried to make things happen and did not shy away when she was missing 3's so she contributed in other areas, kept attacking. Everyone else was not up to the task of matching a quick team that was coming at you. Just a fragile basketball team that will struggle against tough opponents.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Oregon game:
  • Not quite sure how to evaluate this game. Without Paige, Christyn, Azzi and Aubrey, this UConn team was incredibly shorthanded.
  • Great 10-0 start to the game by the Huskies, but unfortunately it couldn't last as UConn missed 11 of their last 12 shots in the first qtr, struggling to score for much of the rest of the game.
  • Liv absolutely played her heart out today. She filled up the stat sheet once more and worked to exhaustion getting position in the low blocks over and over again, frequently without receiving an entry pass.
  • With Oregon packing it in on D and UConn struggling to feed the post, the Huskies really needed someone to step up today and make outside shots. 3 for 17 from the arc was just not going to get it done.
  • Like many UConn WBB fans, I’ve had to alter my goals for this season. Now, most of all, I want to see everyone back and healthy. I want to win the BE tournament. Then I want to shock some folks during the Big Dance.
  • On MLK Day, perhaps one of his quotes has some relevance for UConn WBB. “We must accept finite disappointment. But we must never lose infinite hope.”
Puts everything in perspective.

Reaction Score
I mean they could very well lose to SC if they play in the tournament but Caroline didn't play that game(obviously has proven herself since being able to get minutes), and Azzi and Nika played hurt. Plus they were only down 3 going into the 4th quarter of that game. It is going to hard for Geno to get the most out of this group, trying to distribute minutes and get them to have the mental toughness that championship teams have. But I do think they have enough talent to compete for a title if healthy.
I actually thought UConn play alright for the team we were able to put out on the floor. Oregon just had better talent on the floor than UConn. I can’t fault the effort, and the kids did their best, so no reason for the kids to hang their heads. I’m the coaching staff will review the game film and come up with stuff to work on in practice.
I actually thought UConn play alright for the team we were able to put out on the floor. Oregon just had better talent on the floor than UConn. I can’t fault the effort, and the kids did their best, so no reason for the kids to hang their heads. I’m the coaching staff will review the game film and come up with stuff to work on in practice.
Totally agree Oregon had a mor talented team on the court.

Reaction Score
Sure would love to see what some of you look like at your jobs, still boggles my mind at some of the comments folks feel so comfortable making. It's a game, we did not play well as a team but had some bright spots. We play again on Friday and Sun (fingers crossed). Let's hope no more missing players

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Oregon game:
  • Not quite sure how to evaluate this game. Without Paige, Christyn, Azzi and Aubrey, this UConn team was incredibly shorthanded.
  • Great 10-0 start to the game by the Huskies, but unfortunately it couldn't last as UConn missed 11 of their last 12 shots in the first qtr, struggling to score for much of the rest of the game.
  • Liv absolutely played her heart out today. She filled up the stat sheet once more and worked to exhaustion getting position in the low blocks over and over again, frequently without receiving an entry pass.
  • With Oregon packing it in on D and UConn struggling to feed the post, the Huskies really needed someone to step up today and make outside shots. 3 for 17 from the arc was just not going to get it done.
  • Like many UConn WBB fans, I’ve had to alter my goals for this season. Now, most of all, I want to see everyone back and healthy. I want to win the BE tournament. Then I want to shock some folks during the Big Dance.
  • On MLK Day, perhaps one of his quotes has some relevance for UConn WBB. “We must accept finite disappointment. But we must never lose infinite hope.”
I guess coach wanted the six players to know how it feels to lose, in front of a hostile crowd. And for each player to acknowledge their role in that loss. And to be on the court against a quality team for forty minutes, rather than Xavier or Butler. He has the rings, so I won't question his motivation.

Here is what I saw;

1. Olivia is battling and working 100%. But that hot shooting we saw from 12-14 feet against Xavier went away. So Oregon could ignore her outside the paint.
2. Dorka is not at Olivia's level. She can be fine against Butler, but she has bad hands and her shot is not dependable.
3. Edwards is a more limited player than any of us imagined. She has no shot. Her contribution is hustle and defense. A decent substitute for limited periods of time. She has few qualities of a true BIG, and fewer still as a wing.
4. Westbrook. I keep thinking " she has lost her passion for the game." Sloppy, slow and not taking charge at all. At her " homecoming."
5. Muhl. She was over-used in this game. Physically not ready to go 100% that long. Not for lack of trying. Hopefully, she'll get her shooting touch back. Because Oregon knew they almost didn't have to guard anyone against a three.
6. Caroline had her worst day on offense. And she wasn't that great with the ball in her hands either. Couldn't buy a shot. But she did not give up and still made plays. A good sign ( if we needed one ). And I know someone is going to tell me she scored 20 or so. Doesn't matter. She was throwing up bricks all day.
7. Coach. I wanted to see Gabriel and DeBerry again, in meaningful minutes. My view was; why not? Maybe their size and fight could shake Oregon up a bit. And it would be good for them to compete against a real team for once. So, I was disappointed. Again, I defer to Geno. His reasons are better than mine.

I can't imagine playing South Carolina in a week of so.

Reaction Score
Well, yes, but the team couldn’t stop shooting itself in the foot. The early season turnovers reappeared and the shots on offense were rushed and mostly off balance or fade away. Yes, Oregon gets some credit but opponents have been playing a zone defense all season. You’d think the Huskies would have figured it out by now.

Nika, E, and Aaliyah won’t shoot and teammates inexplicably won’t pass the ball to Dorka. Liv was a soldier and Caroline is the only one that can create so Oregon only had to guard the two of them. UConn just made it too easy for Oregon

On edit - do they practice rebounding? I was yelling at the TV for UConn to go to the offensive glass. What’s up with that?
Stop making excuses all of our loses have come after one bad quarter whether its the second or the the 4th. This team just doesn’t have it. Muhl can’t hit a cow in the behind at point blank range. Whenever she’s in the game its 4 against 5. Ervina isn’t the same as last year. Edwards has regressed. CW is up and down. Liv has improved of late. Let’s hope she keeps it up. CD has been great but can’t do it all by herself. We are just not a good team. Can’t wait for our seniors to graduate and start over.

Reaction Score
Horrible game! Can anyone on this time shoot whose name isn’t Ducharme. Where was CW tonight, injured or sick ? With Muhl starting it’s like playing 5 on 4, just no offense. I feel sorry for her but she is simply not an offensive threat. Good game from liv but that’s about it.
this team is by no means ready for prime time.
Just a side note; That great start by UCONN was largely due to Oregon missing every shot they took. Then, they outscored us 39-14 the rest of the first half.

Reaction Score
I didn’t watch the game. How did we outscore them in the 4th qtr. Did the coach empty the bench half way through?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom