Oregon Post Game Thread | The Boneyard

Oregon Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Oregon game:
  • Not quite sure how to evaluate this game. Without Paige, Christyn, Azzi and Aubrey, this UConn team was incredibly shorthanded.
  • Great 10-0 start to the game by the Huskies, but unfortunately it couldn't last as UConn missed 11 of their last 12 shots in the first qtr, struggling to score for much of the rest of the game.
  • Liv absolutely played her heart out today. She filled up the stat sheet once more and worked to exhaustion getting position in the low blocks over and over again, frequently without receiving an entry pass.
  • With Oregon packing it in on D and UConn struggling to feed the post, the Huskies really needed someone to step up today and make outside shots. 3 for 17 from the arc was just not going to get it done.
  • Like many UConn WBB fans, I’ve had to alter my goals for this season. Now, most of all, I want to see everyone back and healthy. I want to win the BE tournament. Then I want to shock some folks during the Big Dance.
  • On MLK Day, perhaps one of his quotes has some relevance for UConn WBB. “We must accept finite disappointment. But we must never lose infinite hope.”

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I got nothing. :eek:

16-0 Oregon run in the first half and 3-18 from 3 did us in, among other things. Great game by Oregon.

Caroline and Olivia did show signs of life for the team so that was nice. Liv worked her butt off actually. One of the only bright spots. We did pretty up the corps a bit there at the end...

On to the next game!

Reaction Score
Time to stop drinking the kool-aid.

Long-time fan, love Storrs, love Geno, love the players – but they ain’t who we thought they were.

Yes they play at Storrs, yes they wear a UConn uniform, yes they’ve had injuries, yes they had a long plane ride – but they are not the Huskies I know from the past decades.

The Huskie culture of play just isn’t evident – defense, mobility, perimeter shooting, minimal fouls, free throws, offense. More telltale is the absence of discipline, this year’s team seems to lack confidence and when the get behind they lose composure and fall apart ending up being thumped rather than a well-played defeat.

Sure things could “turn-around” when all the injuries heal – maybe – but there is a lot of “not very good” out there to change.

Sad to say I’m worrying they won’t get a top 16 seed home game for rounds 1 & 2 in the Tournament and have to play away.

Wish it was better, skeptical it is.

Reaction Score
this game showed why Nika is not a starter, Oregon basically dared her to shoot and she didn't want to until they were down 20 in the 4th quarter when it didn't matter. Olivia sure ended those Dorka should start threads though, easily been the best player for this team past month her and Caroline.

Reaction Score
Lots of adversity. This game was a gut check. I want to look at the positives.

Liv showed up -- big time. I was really impressed.

CD is a gamer. Her emergence has been the highlight of the season

Nika, love her energy and effort, but she neeeds to give more than 3 points, 2 assists and 4 TO's on offense

Dorka played hard but really struggled on D

AE is my favorite player, but it is remarkable how her play has dropped off this year

Evina, in my mind the biggest disappointment. Since UCLA has disappeared. When we are back at full strength, can't see her getting much PT.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This team played one bad quarter on the road and it killed them. They also played hard as spit from the opening tip. Made me proud. They lost, but I have no complaints. Once I heard CW was in protocol I had no expectations they would win. I really just want to see all of these teams they've lost to down the road.

JBK

Reaction Score
Time to stop drinking the kool-aid.

Long-time fan, love Storrs, love Geno, love the players – but they ain’t who we thought they were.

Yes they play at Storrs, yes they wear a UConn uniform, yes they’ve had injuries, yes they had a long plane ride – but they are not the Huskies I know from the past decades.

The Huskie culture of play just isn’t evident – defense, mobility, perimeter shooting, minimal fouls, free throws, offense. More telltale is the absence of discipline, this year’s team seems to lack confidence and when the get behind they lose composure and fall apart ending up being thumped rather than a well-played defeat.

Sure things could “turn-around” when all the injuries heal – maybe – but there is a lot of “not very good” out there to change.

Sad to say I’m worrying they won’t get a top 16 seed home game for rounds 1 & 2 in the Tournament and have to play away.

Wish it was better, skeptical it is.
Agreed
Muhl is a spark plug, but cannot score and is absolutely no threat.
Westbrook can not create and score like she did years ago.
We are lacking grit and toughness and at times look lost in this offense - lots of standing around and Dorka is still confused and
not confident.
Even with a healthy Fudd and Bueckers, I do not believe we have the toughness to win it all.
The Aubrey Griffin injury hurts more than we realize this year.
Still rooting like heck and glad the ladies played hard to the end tonight and did not quit. We could have easily lost by 30 ..

Reaction Score
  • Not quite sure how to evaluate this game. Without Paige, Christyn, Azzi and Aubrey, this UConn team was incredibly shorthanded.
  • Great 10-0 start to the game by the Huskies, but unfortunately it couldn't last as UConn missed 11 of their last 12 shots in the first qtr, struggling to score for much of the rest of the game.
  • Liv absolutely played her heart out today. She filled up the stat sheet once more and worked to exhaustion getting position in the low blocks over and over again, frequently without receiving an entry pass.
  • With Oregon packing it in on D and UConn struggling to feed the post, the Huskies really needed someone to step up today and make outside shots. 3 for 17 from the arc was just not going to get it done.
  • Like many UConn WBB fans, I’ve had to alter my goals for this season. Now, most of all, I want to see everyone back and healthy. I want to win the BE tournament. Then I want to shock some folks during the Big Dance.
  • On MLK Day, perhaps one of his quotes has some relevance for UConn WBB. “We must accept finite disappointment. But we must never lose infinite hope.”
Horrible game! Can anyone on this time shoot whose name isn’t Ducharme. Where was CW tonight, injured or sick ? With Muhl starting it’s like playing 5 on 4, just no offense. I feel sorry for her but she is simply not an offensive threat. Good game from liv but that’s about it.
this team is by no means ready for prime time.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Completely embarrassing. Liv did well, Caroline trying to do too much. Westbrook doesn't deserve to start again. When everyone comes back, last guard off the bench. No fire at all, looked like she didn't want to play.

Reaction Score
We can only assess the players who played the game. A terrible display of UCONN basketball.

CW wouldn’t have been the difference in this one

Nika we love her you but they are not even bothering to guard her close because just don’t shoot.

Dorka needs to show us why Geno thought she was good

Evina has just disappeared.

CD must have been told to shoot it early and often. No problem with that based on the 3 mentioned above.

AE .??????? Had the highest of hopes. She’s gone backwards.

ONO…IF she continues to play like this, she will be rewarded with with a pretty high draft pick

Reaction Score
I agree they missed CW and Paiges. AZZI is a Question mark, Maybe?, Aubrey, another Maybe this one isn't a great scorer so on rebounding, ONO was pretty good. Uconn needs consistent scoring. That's been their big issue for 3 years. A big post helps, but right now ONO is it. Dorka was supposed to be a good to better post, a 3 point threat, a scorer??? What happened? Showing up against Butler and Xavier isn't playing great against Oregon. We, fans often forget the quality of the opponents and think we have arrived. Oregon was a wake up call.
When Paige returns (If 100 percent) will be the difference maker. She carried Uconn on her thin shoulders last year, with minimal help. Uconn NEEDS people that can score all the time (80 percent of the time).

Reaction Score
Losing Williams was huge. At the end of the day, she is an offensive threat, and when you replace her with Muhl for 40 minutes, our offensive output is bound to tank. Muhl, unfortunately, is not good on the offensive side of things.

A bright spot was how hard Olivia fought. She had a really nice game and I was proud of her effort. Ducharme also fought hard, but had a very rough day from 3. Also had a few turnovers trying to make things happen, which was ok since at least she was trying.

I think the perfect thing to point out is AE taking steps on a wide open transition layup. It's an example of how a lot of our players completely crack under pressure. Completely rattled.

At least this group of 3 seniors can graduate knowing that all three lost their homecoming games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom