Oregon Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Oregon Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When Paige and Azzi return, I hope Caroline becomes more judicious in her shot selection. It's okay now, because others are reluctant to shoot, but in the future....
Totally, totally agree. She actually may have a better selection.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Completely embarrassing. Liv did well, Caroline trying to do too much. Westbrook doesn't deserve to start again. When everyone comes back, last guard off the bench. No fire at all, looked like she didn't want to play.
Completely agree that Caroline's rough shooting from 3 was because she was forced to do too much. Caroline will absorb this and get even tougher.

Reaction Score
I may be in the minority here, but I’m not buying that Paige/Azzi/Aubrey/now Christyn’s absences are to blame for this absolutely ghastly showing. And I think part of it is because there are narratives about players that make them seem better than they actually are in terms of output.

For example: we all love Nika; she is a spark plug who cares about winning more than she cares about herself. But technically, Nika simply is not and never has been a good enough PG for a UConn basketball team, particularly on the offensive end. She is unreliable at best from 3, refuses to take it to the hoop, and has generally poor court vision. Evina is the kind on- and off-court leader, but she is streaky and regresses when she is put under pressure, as we’ve seen the past few games. Aaliyah had so much fire in her belly last year, but has looked disengaged, unfocused, and unable to produce over most if not all 13 games this season. A travel on an open layup? It’s absolutely inexcusable. And Dorka opened the season big at the exhibition, and has had a few decent games, but is so in her own head that she can’t get into a flow. With these four in such deep funks, the team is already hampered.

So, injuries matter, yes, but the play of these four has in any event been frankly atrocious and below standard for any UConn program. Why, I don’t know. I suspect Geno has theories and is trying to figure it out himself. And he may well be part of the problem, too. But something has to change with these four, or we are in for a very rocky few weeks.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
When Paige and Azzi return, I hope Caroline becomes more judicious in her shot selection. It's okay now, because others are reluctant to shoot, but in the future....
She will not have double teams charging at her with Paige and/or Azzi, or even Christyn, on the court. She was rushing her shots; her tempo is usually much smoother

Reaction Score
Question for those who believe UConn will rebound when everyone is back, who was injured for the South Carolina game, that would have made a difference? Saylor and Mir are both gone, and Griffin is out for the season.
I mean they could very well lose to SC if they play in the tournament but Caroline didn't play that game(obviously has proven herself since being able to get minutes), and Azzi and Nika played hurt. Plus they were only down 3 going into the 4th quarter of that game. It is going to hard for Geno to get the most out of this group, trying to distribute minutes and get them to have the mental toughness that championship teams have. But I do think they have enough talent to compete for a title if healthy.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Losing Williams was huge. At the end of the day, she is an offensive threat, and when you replace her with Muhl for 40 minutes, our offensive output is bound to tank. Muhl, unfortunately, is not good on the offensive side of things.

A bright spot was how hard Olivia fought. She had a really nice game and I was proud of her effort. Ducharme also fought hard, but had a very rough day from 3. Also had a few turnovers trying to make things happen, which was ok since at least she was trying.

I think the perfect thing to point out is AE taking steps on a wide open transition layup. It's an example of how a lot of our players completely crack under pressure. Completely rattled.

At least this group of 3 seniors can graduate knowing that all three lost their homecoming games.
Olivia was terrific, scrapping and moving and calling for the ball while being banged around by the Oregon bigs. She deserves only praise for her efforts and execution: 7-9 shooting, 3-4 foul shots, 8 rebounds, 6 assists.

But AE confounds me: unforced turnovers, and when she gets the ball, she seems not to know what to do: pass (to whom?), dribble (to where and to what purpose?), shoot (or not?) . . . . Seems not to anticipate what's available to her or know where her teammates are before she gets the ball. Does that seem to be what others are also seeing?

Reaction Score
Caroline is still a Freshman. I hope she keeps shooting. She won 3 point competitions in high school against top competititon. She's worked hard on getting that shot off quickly. It will fall for her at a good rate soon. Hopefuly when we need it most.

I STILL think we will be fine and even in a good position by the time March hits. Paige and Azzi will provide a lot of help in the 3 point shooting, which is the biggest problem for this team. We will have more depth by then hopefully, with a very strong 7-8 player rotation. The best is yet to be.

Reaction Score
This team played one bad quarter on the road and it killed them. They also played hard as spit from the opening tip. Made me proud. They lost, but I have no complaints. Once I heard CW was in protocol I had no expectations they would win. I really just want to see all of these teams they've lost to down the road.
Moral Victory--you bet! down by 15 at the end of the 1st Qtr, lost by 13, that means Uconn played them near even for 3, while short handed. That's better than moral, it . I too was not surprised by the loss. Frankly, they did well.

Reaction Score
We came out well early in the 3rd qtr but quickly turned the ball over several times to put the game out of reach. Really should have refocused the offense to the two hot hands. Much too much nothing passing with our half-court offense. Guards have to do a better job of penetrating, shooting or passing off after doing that. Several players offered no fire, just happy to be out there. We surely missed our other guards.
Rebounds were about even, ONO was a major factor in keeping us in the game. Nice effort by CD but she was doubled team on her dribble and was stripped too many times. Somebody has to set a few picks, I saw none so our 3 pointers were contested. Shooting 3 for 18 from 3 point land is poor indeed. CD needs more picks on her drives.

We also need to make some lay-ups but seem uncomfortable in doing so?????

The floor design in this area is a disaster for concentration purposes, it is way overdone and a confusing surface for opponents.

Reaction Score
At least in this loss we won the 4th quarter with regard to points. Unfortunately, we lost the first three quarters. I also think CW would have made the score at least closer by her defense and offense.

I think we should remember that when Tenn won the 1997 NCAA women’s championship, they had an overall record of 29-10 (23-10 before the tournament). They were a 3rd seed. On their way to winning the title, they beat an undefeated and the favorite to win the title the overall #1 seed Uconn team in the elite 8. If Tenn can do it, I am confident that Uconn with its returning players can also do it since Uconn seems to make it a habit of breaking their existing records.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am hoping that this game doesn't take away any confidence that these guys have. This loss will probably take a lot out of the 6 Huskies that played. And then the long plane ride home to think about it. We have been really vocal about avenging last years FF and other games we've lost. Now is the time to step up again. And I don't care if it "just against BE" teams, these guys can and should step up.

I was really pleased that we had Liv and Caroline playing really well today. Like I said in the chat room, it looked to me like Caroline was putting a lot of pressure on herself and was just trying too hard, if that's possible.

Reaction Score
Question for those who believe UConn will rebound when everyone is back, who was injured for the South Carolina game, that would have made a difference? Saylor and Mir are both gone, and Griffin is out for the season.
“Everyone who was injured for the South Carolina game”????

Reaction Score
Just when we thought Dorka had emerged as a major help while waiting out the injury situation, she disappears again.

Reaction Score
Like I mentioned in chat....OR was on the receiving end of some butt whippings when they were shorthanded and they played like a team out to prove why they were ranked in the top 10 at the beginning of the year. Now I was also perplexed when some of the stupid turnovers from early on reared their ugly head and to yet again see folks scared to shoot but at the end of the day even Geno concedes that this team the way it is currently configured can be offensively challenged. I know Geno has a way with words but I don't think he is joking when he says this. I remember being at the UCLA game and it was like once they figured out that they are allowed to score too the game turned for the better. I could see some of them overthinking and trying to get in place all while scoring opportunities came and went. On the bright side, I saw another side of Liv and I think that bodes well going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom