Not so good news - Paige (merged thread) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Not so good news - Paige (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
un.be.liev.able.

Just wow.

I'm thinking we won't see her in a UConn jersey again. Just my 8¢
Are you saying this in reference to her eligibility vs her pro-career as if its in jeopardy due to injuries ? Just wondering >?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Are you saying this in reference to her eligibility vs her pro-career as if its in jeopardy due to injuries ? Just wondering >?
2 straight years of rehab plus mucho NIL ????. What's the point to come back?

Reaction Score
This news stuns, it hurts, a gut punch, a hammer blow to us all. And Paige, no one loves the game more than her....but if anyone can handle adversity, she can. Warmest thoughts to you Paige....

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Aw, this is the worst kind of news to read about for an athlete. Heck, she was probably still working on her recuperation from the 2022 injury and now...this? Uggh.

She's a singular talent, charismatic and seems to be a genuinely nice person. Hoping all the best to her as she recuperates, rehabs and clears this next hurdle. Keep the faith, Paige.

Reaction Score
Lou Lopez Senechal was supposed to be our "rainy day" backup guard.
Now she may get more minutes than expected.

Paige's misfortune reminds me a little of Shea Ralph who struggled with
knee issues through much of her career. I hope this is the last knee injury
she has to endure.

Reaction Score
All love to Paige, a transcendent talent and personality. May she overcome even this.

Now the ball is in the hands of her teammates, literally, to make something of the season, for Paige, for themselves, and for the fans. Nika, Azzi, Caroline, Lou — they are the core guard rotation now. I’ll be rooting for them.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
2 straight years of rehab plus mucho NIL ????. What's the point to come back?
She has said 4 years before and more than ever, she will want to play with Azzi and help her get a NC. From a long term career decision, it is probably better to wait the year, get her brand reinvigorated at UConn and go into the WNBA 2 years removed from the ACL tear when many say that is how long it can take to be really 100%. Rushing into the WNBA 1 year removed with absurd travel and playing demands does not seem like the best decision to me long term.

Reaction Score
Poor Paige-Get well soon!

It certainly makes me wonder if she is going to be snake bit with injuries her entire career and not reach her full potential.

I'd tell you to bite your tongue except for the fact that very thought crossed my mind when I saw this thread. I can't help but wonder if that knee is going to be an issue from now on. :(

Reaction Score
Sad news.

Sending healing thoughts to Paige. She is a phenomenal player. During her first two years, Paige averaged more assists per game, she had a better A/TO ratio, and she had a higher effective field goal percentage (eFG%) than UCONN’s greatest WBB players—Diana, Maya, and Breanna. She also averaged an impressive 18 points per game.

I hope Paige can draw inspiration from Sue Bird, who overcame multiple knee injuries.

Stay positive and come back strong, Paige.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'd tell you to bite your tongue except for the fact that very thought crossed my mind when I saw this thread. I can't help but wonder if that knee is going to be an issue from now on. :(
bionic woman cyborg GIF

Reaction Score
This really is awful. Paige is such a great player, she obviously loves and lives to play basketball- to be denied a chance to lead UConn to a championship this year is really unfair, especially to her. We suffer vicariously as fans, but Paige must hurt 1000 times as much as any of us fans.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
You have to feel for her and her family. She is built tough and she will get through this.
Yes, she is tough mentally, but you have to question her physical toughness. This is her third surgery in a year and a half. I'm thinking she pushes her body beyond it's limits.

sun

Reaction Score
The poor gal deserves a medal.
Knee injuries are an occupational hazard and can happen to any player at any time.
Christyn Williams blew out her knee, and it also happened to Azzi in h.gh school.
I hope that Paige doesn't have too much stress & anxiety while waiting to heal, and that the rest of the team remains free of serious injury.
This season already presents a special challenge for everyone associated with UConn WBB.

Reaction Score
Such heartbreaking news but I expect with her attitude and support, she will continue to overcome and be ready in 2023-2024.

I confess I worry how Azzi will handle this and fear some may expect her to fill her shoes on her own.
Team is more experienced and deeper this year, Azzi will be fine

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Gary Cohen, NY Mets broadcaster on SNY, just mentioned Paige's injury during the Mets v Nationals game. Gary says the folks in the SNY truck who also work on UConnWBB games are "devastated."
Just heard that, too.

He also mentioned the seemingly greater incidence of knee injuries for women’s basketball players.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I noticed Morgan started following a Spanish guard who played in the FIBA European U20 championships and wondered why she was doing that. Now we know.

Just devastated for Paige.
This drops our roster number to 10. Is Geno comfortable going into the season with only 10 players? Classes for the fall term begin in 4 weeks. Is it too late to find a player (or two) from the portal to return the roster to 11 or perhaps 12?

Reaction Score
1 Cause she makes more money playing in college then she would in WNBA
2 She like her team and her coaches
3 She returns next year with an even better and deeper team
The decision might not necessarily be all about the cash or even largely about money. Players at the top of their sport want to play against the best whether that be in professional leagues or in the Olympics. Paige is on the older side (turning 21 in a couple of months), so her career is already working against a clock that's ticking a little bit faster.

Reaction Score
This drops our roster number to 10. Is Geno comfortable going into the season with only 10 players? Classes for the fall term begin in 4 weeks. Is it too late to find a player (or two) from the portal to return the roster to 11 or perhaps 12?
Maybe a walk-on or player from overseas that qualifies? Not sure on what exactly the transfer rules say these days, but I thought transferring after July 1st means you sit out the year.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Horrible news. Sorry to hear this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads