Not so good news - Paige (merged thread) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Not so good news - Paige (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s always a devastating injury to any athlete. I hate that Paige is going through this, esp on the heels of missing a lot of last season.

While Paige is a transcendent talent, and I can imagine the blow it is to the fan base, the Huskies are always talent-rich. The season may, or may not, be all of what you all hoped for, but I’m sure it will still be a great year for your squad. Basketball will certainly miss Paige this year.

Best wishes for complete and full healing, Paige.

Reaction Score
I confess I worry how Azzi will handle this and fear some may expect her to fill her shoes on her own.
@eebmg .... Relax we have a world class coaching staff that handles these kind of things. Not fun for them either but good track record. :)
There just isn’t enough profanity to comment on this.
Oh helz there f#^+ is but you just cant f#&@!* use it here. ;)
. I'm thinking she pushes her body beyond it's limits.
Are you suggesting private counseling with you? Other than the UConn staff? No attack just curious. :)
Where is she going to go? There is no NBA for women's basketball players.
Are you stuck in the stall? For years? No recognition of the WNBA? :)
ESPN should go poop in their hat. They are speculating for ratings.
No attack at you or anyone above but is speculating not what many are doing over this situation? SHAT happens, it's real and we all have to suck it up and move on. Paige will move on to recovery as will the fan base. The love for Paige will have her getting chants / cheers just sitting on the bench. That and more so as she recovers and is jumping / dancing on the sidelines coaching her teammates.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2 straight years of rehab plus mucho NIL ????. What's the point to come back?
The love of the game! She loves the game! I guarantee she would give up every cent she’s already earned plus all the money she would have earned this year for a healthy rest of her college career!

Reaction Score
I don't see her ever leaving early. Have been talking a lot about it with my nephew, fellow Minnesotan, who's the biggest WNBA fan I know (and is a guy who used to vociferously cheer against the Huskies but is now all-in since Paige arrived on campus). Women's college hoops is simply bigger than the WNBA, culturally, in the media, everywhere. Even if there were no NILs, I still think she'd play four years. But with them it seems to take the financial aspect out of it entirely, leaving the hoops part.

And the hoops part leans heavily to UConn: Wanting to win a national title; and if she wins one in her third year of playing, wanting to repeat; she was a UConn girl from about 8th grade on, it was basically destiny for her to go there, and I think she'd take every chance she had to go for a title; winning a college championship brings more "fame" such as it is than winning a WNBA one. With all that Taurasi, Bird, Maya, Stewie and company have done in the WNBA -- and it's legendary! -- I'd argue they're still all best known for their UConn days, among casual hoops fans. I just can't see her playing two years, one of them hampered by injury, missing out an entire year and then entering the draft. Or even playing in 2023-2024, winning a title or making a tourney run, then entering the draft just so she can play in front of 6,000 people and go for a WNBA title, while always wondering if she might have won one more or even a single one back at UConn, all while playing in front of packed houses at home and as part of a traveling road show.

I guess the one thing that could swing it is if there's such concern over her health that she doesn't want to risk ANY more time in college and use whatever time she has left with those knees in the pros.

But I figure she's planning on a full comeback, to be as good or better than ever, and if that's the case I think she'll be playing for the Huskies for two more years.

(This could easily be Old Takes Exposed one day but we'll see).
Pretty sure any team that drafts Paige is not going have 6000 people at their games. Though, on second thought, Paige might single-handedly attract that many just to watch her!

Reaction Score
I can't imagine how disappointed Paige must be. I hope she heals quickly and maintains as positive an outlook as possible.
I remember very clearly being sick at my stomach when Marcus Lattimore went down with his second knee injury. I know UConn fans are feeling this same way today. Total empathy here.

Prayers that she can return 100% to her pre-injury form. She is good for wbb

Reaction Score
It would be in her best interest to spend some time after recovery to strengthen certain muscles to help protect from future ACL injuries. Jackie Gemlos did that and it ended her long string of ACL injuries.

Reaction Score
I just read all the comments here, as well as Paige’s Instagram post.

Paige is a wise, mature person, and if anyone can come back stronger from this, it will be her. But this kind of injury can be difficult to overcome both physically and mentally. I know other players have, but it’s going to be a challenge. My thoughts are with her, her family, and her teammates.

As for many people here, and I realize this is a secondary concern, I’m personally devastated by the news. I’m a longtime UConn and basketball fan, and Paige is the most exciting college player I’ve ever watched.

Those here who follow not just UConn but also college basketball more generally and the WNBA know how concerning this is. There have been many great players, but there has never been a player with Paige’s talent, personality, and following in women’s basketball. She is the hope of many, including the media, to grow the women’s game.

Reaction Score
Where is she going to go? There is no NBA for women's basketball players. UConn is where she'll make the most money playing basketball and have the most fun playing basketball.
Huh Lol

Reaction Score
Pretty sure any team that drafts Paige is not going have 6000 people at their games. Though, on second thought, Paige might single-handedly attract that many just to watch her!
Have you checked the WNBA attendance per team this season ? Most if not 3/4's of the league average more than 6K lol Indiana on the other hand could use Paige to boost that terrible attendance lol

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For those who don’t know Connecticut high school bball history, Nadine played in CT and Geno wanted her badly but she went to Iowa and played for CV Stringer. Nadine is one that got away that I, as a UConn fan, regret
@Blakeon18

Reaction Score
Yes, she is tough mentally, but you have to question her physical toughness. This is her third surgery in a year and a half. I'm thinking she pushes her body beyond it's limits.

IMO too many of these young women play too much basketball. I get it, they love the game and are always trying to improve but the wear & tear on their bodies is tremendous. They need to rest more both physically & mentally. JMO.

Reaction Score
IMO too many of these young women play too much basketball. I get it, they love the game and are always trying to improve but the wear & tear on their bodies is tremendous. They need to rest more both physically & mentally. JMO.
Playing time is one aspect however genetics also play a factor. It's been documented that women are more prone to ACL injuries than men, regardless of sport. Proper technique in how players move (e.g. squatting, muscle training, etc.) helps to strengthen some of the muscles to help prevent this. How much of this is being taught at grassroots level, I don't know based on the shooting form of players I've watched.

Reaction Score
UConn Med surgery? Steadman-Hawkins in Vail. Why screw around.

Reaction Score
In hearing yesterday the news of Paige's injury i couldn't write anything just devastating news for Paige and the team!
It sucked all the air out of my body! I know Paige will work her butt off to come back stronger than ever!
UCONN WBB will play their hearts out for their comrade and if any coaching staff could get the most out of this situation, it's Geno, CD, Jamelle & Morgan!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Champions learn to overcome obstacles that are thrown at them. There is no doubt that the never quit attitude in Paige will make her better for what's she's going through. To be great at anything you must do it until you reach your goals. Giving up is not an option. Paige has the qualities and perseverance to overcome this, and she will. Paige will be better for it and that will make UConn better because of it. God Bless you Paige.

Reaction Score
Knowing One, I believe it's too late to pick up a PG from the portal and be eligible for the 22-23 season. Maybe an international transfer? I don't know the rules for that. I do know that Nika is the only true PG that UConn has. Can Azzi spell Nika as PG and bring the ball up court? Yes, but she is more valuable playing off the ball. Can Caroline bring the ball up court? Yeah, but that's not optimum (I cringe at the thought). The little I know about Lou says that you might not her pressed into a PG role in big time D1 basketball. Have I missed someone?

I was a proponent of bringing in another big. Duh, how quickly things change...
I said it before that we should of picked up another true point guard. I don't know why Geno is so stubborn he messed up again. All we needed was a descent backup that can score.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
People are pointing out how Sue Bird has thrived despite having a season-ending knee injury as a freshman at UConn. If I recall correctly, Gabby Williams had 2 serious knee injuries while in high school. Now she is running past and jumping over WNBA competition. Check out Gabby's highlights from last night. I hope that Paige heals as well as Sue and Gabby did!

Reaction Score
Playing time is one aspect however genetics also play a factor. It's been documented that women are more prone to ACL injuries than men, regardless of sport. Proper technique in how players move (e.g. squatting, muscle training, etc.) helps to strengthen some of the muscles to help prevent this. How much of this is being taught at grassroots level, I don't know based on the shooting form of players I've watched.
I did not know that.
Indeed, it’s true.
2X-8X more prevalent. ( according to published reports)
Seems like knee braces as opposed to currently utilized reinforced elastic type pull ons should be standard uniform additions.

Reaction Score
Did anyone else notice she took two huge knee bumps in the tournament? The first was vs Indiana and the other vs one of the Hills I believe vs Stanford. She looked to be in pain in both. Idk if she was wearing protection in either instance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom