Non-UConn recruiting thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Non-UConn recruiting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Jada Williams flips from UCLA to Arizona:

Kinda makes sense considering UCLA has Jones and Rice. The second flip from UCLA to Arizona, the other was 2022 Paris Clark.

Williams is teammates with Breya Cunningham who is also committed there. She's also one of the highest profile NIL recruits since Bueckers/Van Lith (I think she's ahead of where they were at a similar time frame). At any rate, Arizona is loading up with talent. If most of their top players stick around they'll be quite good for years to come.

Reaction Score
Williams is teammates with Breya Cunningham who is also committed there. She's also one of the highest profile NIL recruits since Bueckers/Van Lith (I think she's ahead of where they were at a similar time frame). At any rate, Arizona is loading up with talent. If most of their top players stick around they'll be quite good for years to come.
Was thinking the same thing, Barnes hauling in the recruits, AZ looking mighty competitive over the next few years with their incoming freshmen and 2023 class, curious as to who else is on AZ's radar for 2023

Reaction Score
Was thinking the same thing, Barnes hauling in the recruits, AZ looking mighty competitive over the next few years with their incoming freshmen and 2023 class, curious as to who else is on AZ's radar for 2023
Watch out if they land JuJu “Watson”

Reaction Score
Yes Barnes is bringing in a lot of quality recruits, but she's hit the portal hard after each season. Also, unless I've missed something but there seems to be a log jam at the guard position now with the 2022 and 2023 classes. Add in players returning for their COVID year, playing time for several of these players will be tough.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Hannah Hidalgo announces her top 6 (#5 in 2023)

Unless it's not tracked (or I missed it), I don't think Stanford has even offered Hidalgo yet? I may be wrong but I wonder if they offer it's over?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
second flip from UCLA to Arizona, the other was 2022 Paris Clark.
My immediate thought on this is Williams and Clark don't want to order Rice. Or, more to the point, not playing while Kiki Rice is at UCLA. (That situation developed after they had committed.)

Clark shot out of Westwood as soon as Rice announced her commitment to the Bruins. Williams was one of the first major commits of her class, so she must've given this some serious consideration -- and/or gotten lobbied from a U-17 teammate.

But guess what? Williams and Clark are both in the backcourt, so it won't be step in and play in the desert, either. Plus, Barnes changes the face of that team, year-in and year=out for better or worse, so stay tuned.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Unless it's not tracked (or I missed it), I don't think Stanford has even offered Hidalgo yet? I may be wrong but I wonder if they offer it's over?
Stanford has such tough entry standards that I believe they hold their cards close to the vest until the academic office shows some white smoke. However, I defer to @TheFarmFan for details on that one.

If Hidalgo -- whom I've read is an excellent student -- does pass The Farm's standards, I'm still not sure this is a done deal for Coach T.
  • Olivia Miles was recruited heavily by Stanford (and Princeton when Banghart was there) but chose Notre Dame. Coach Ivey can point to a number of guards in the WNBA that she personally coached.
  • Kara Lawson of Duke -- a recently named USA Nat'l Team assistant coach on the 5x5 team -- can point to Day-Wilson on her Dookies and the experience of coaching Plum, Gray and Young in the 3x3 Olympic tourney.

That said, Stanford certainly has some serious athletic and academic chops, to say the least. Plus, they could use a top-rate PG. Stay tuned

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My immediate thought on this is Williams and Clark don't want to order Rice. Or, more to the point, not playing while Kiki Rice is at UCLA.

Clark shot out of Westwood as soon as Rice announced her commitment to the Bruins. Williams was one of the first major commits of her class, so she must've given this some serious consideration -- and/or gotten lobbied from a U-17 teammate.

But guess what? Williams and Clark are both in the backcourt, so it won't be step in and play in the desert, either. Plus, Barnes changes the face of that team, year-in and year=out for better or worse, so stay tuned.
Add in Gilbert and Hylton to the backcourt for the 2022 class as well. Definitely will be something to watch this season.

Reaction Score
Stanford has such tough entry standards that I believe they hold their cards close to the vest to the academic office shows some white smoke. However, I defer to @TheFarmFan for details on that one.

If Hidalgo -- whom I've read is an excellent student -- does pass The Farm's standards, I'm not sure this is a done deal.
  • Olivia Miles was recruited heavily by Stanford (and Princeton when Banghart was there) but chose Notre Dame. Coach Ivey can point to a number of guards in the WNBA that she personally coached.
  • Kara Lawson of Duke -- a recently named USA Nat'l Team assistant coach on the 5x5 team -- can point to Day-Wilson on her Dookies and the experience of coaching Plum, Gray and Young in the 3x3 Olympic tourney.

That said, Stanford certainly has some serious athletic and academic chops, to say the least. Plus, they could use a top-rate PG. Stay tuned
Stanford has been recruiting her pretty heavily for awhile. And based on this article from earlier in the year, she has been offered. She also visited earlier in the year.

Whether she’s been given the green light form admissions yet or not is unknown. They have admitted others in the last month or so, so she should likely have that answer already but haven’t heard anything confirming or not about it.

I do think she could step in and contribute greatly at the pg position there!

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Whether she’s been given the green light form admissions yet or not is unknown. They have admitted others in the last month or so, so she should likely have that answer already but haven’t heard anything confirming or not about it.

I do think she could step in and contribute greatly at the pg position there!
Ah! Thanks for the link. I missed Stanford as having offered and wbblog didn't have Stanford listed as offering either. Didn't dig deep enough though. I guess we'll see. She's talented so she'll make an impact wherever she goes.

Reaction Score
Ah! Thanks for the link. I missed Stanford as having offered and wbblog didn't have Stanford listed as offering either. Didn't dig deep enough though. I guess we'll see. She's talented so she'll make an impact wherever she goes.
I think Rauol fell way behind on his listing of offers due to all the work on the Transfer Portal. I know Dawn offered several 24s that do not show up on wbbblog’s offer lists for SCar.

Reaction Score
My immediate thought on this is Williams and Clark don't want to order Rice. Or, more to the point, not playing while Kiki Rice is at UCLA.

Williams and Clark both committed before Rice (and Londynn Jones, for that matter). Clark seemed to go because of Rice, but Williams timing makes it look like either recruiting from Cunningham, a more attractive NIL situation, or a lack of excitement about a transfer to the Big 10.

That Big 10 move may cause ripples in both recruiting and transfers for both UCLA and USC. I am sure that other coaches are painting it in the most unflattering light possible. But maybe there are some players who quite like the idea of visiting their midwestern roots once every winter, but retreating to the palm trees most of the time.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Williams and Clark both committed before Rice (and Londynn Jones, for that matter). Clark seemed to go because of Rice, but Williams timing makes it look like either recruiting from Cunningham, a more attractive NIL situation, or a lack of excitement about a transfer to the Big 10.

That Big 10 move may cause ripples in both recruiting and transfers for both UCLA and USC. I am sure that other coaches are painting it in the most unflattering light possible. But maybe there are some players who quite like the idea of visiting their midwestern roots once every winter, but retreating to the palm trees most of the time.
I was aware of that they both were earlier commits to UCLA,, particularly Williams who committed relatively early. (Would've made nada sense to go to UCLA after Rice committed if you're a PG. Done deal on playing time,)

Isn't Williams -- even though she's playing HS ball on the left coast -- from Kansas City? Not that Iowa or Nebraska are easy commutes, but the parents could come see her play a few times from the KC base.

Coach Barnes always seems to be adding and pulling things out of her on-court combos, so it will be interesting to see how this one does.

Reaction Score
I was aware of that they both were earlier commits to UCLA,, particularly Williams who committed relatively early. (Would've made nada sense to go to UCLA after Rice committed if you're a PG. Done deal on playing time,)

Isn't Williams -- even though she's playing HS ball on the left coast -- from Kansas City? Not that Iowa or Nebraska are easy commutes, but the parents could come see her play a few times from the KC base.

Coach Barnes always seems to be adding and pulling things out of her on-court combos, so it will be interesting to see how this one does.
No idea whether Williams family is now resident in San Diego or Missouri, but yes, she is a transplant.

Barnes seems to be somewhat polarizing for her players. From an outsider's view, it seems like what actually happens in the program may not match what incoming players are expecting. Not sure that is because of a "rosy recruiter - hardass coach" approach, or just a lack of appreciation that a 17 year-old may have for "conditioning". Barnes now has access to the highest levels of basketball talent, but I don't know whether she has quite figured out how to identify and retain players who truly appreciate her and her approach.

I don't think that UCLA is going to be attractive to guards until 2024, at least.

Reaction Score

Yes she is, however I also recall reading that she transferred to a school in California last season. I'm assuming the family relocated based on that but not sure.

Reaction Score
No idea whether Williams family is now resident in San Diego or Missouri, but yes, she is a transplant.

Barnes seems to be somewhat polarizing for her players. From an outsider's view, it seems like what actually happens in the program may not match what incoming players are expecting. Not sure that is because of a "rosy recruiter - hardass coach" approach, or just a lack of appreciation that a 17 year-old may have for "conditioning". Barnes now has access to the highest levels of basketball talent, but I don't know whether she has quite figured out how to identify and retain players who truly appreciate her and her approach.

I don't think that UCLA is going to be attractive to guards until 2024, at least.
Starting to think the same about Arizona at this point too.

Reaction Score
Yes Barnes is bringing in a lot of quality recruits, but she's hit the portal hard after each season. Also, unless I've missed something but there seems to be a log jam at the guard position now with the 2022 and 2023 classes. Add in players returning for their COVID year, playing time for several of these players will be tough.
After the mass exodus from last season where everyone called barnes a one hit wonder its great to hear people are back on board. Until there's another exodus i guess.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score

Hannah Hidalgo announces her top 6 (#5 in 2023)

Staring Episode 2 GIF by The Office

Not a good start for the CW era at Rutgers. First Brooks, and now Hidalgo.

Reaction Score
For those who didn't see this on the UConn recruiting thread...

Reaction Score
Angelica Velez #36 2023 Top 5 coming soon.......
Would expect Tennessee to be among them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99