Non-Key Tweets | Page 889 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
None of those schools are leaving the PAC. And even if they did, the Big 12 is only taking 3 more western schools with BYU.
The Colorado board meeting says "legal advice on a specific matter - athletics operations"

Hopefully, this is the one. These prior closed door instances were relating to track & field misconduct, this sounds more encompassing of the athletics department as whole, and hopefully it's about conference affiliation.

Soooo doomed.

Reaction Score
For the moment, forget the TV $/exposure.

If you are a Big12 President, with geographic and cultural ties to the traditional “western” Mid-West, you have just added four schools from Florida, Ohio, Utah and, (OK) Texas. Not long ago you added West Virginia as your eastern outpost.

What do your schools have in common with New England?

A UConn grad, I want Big12 membership. But it won’t surprise me if their ADs say yes, while the Presidents say no.
Forget all that. Yormark can sell ice to Eskimos.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure if I'd make the argument but an argument can be made that the Big East is in a better position for a national basketball tournament with the SEC and B1G than the Big XII is. It shores up the region for both of those conferences, gives you national coverage, and isn't a threat because we're the only ones that play football.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if I'd make the argument but an argument can be made that the Big East is in a better position for a national basketball tournament with the SEC and B1G than the Big XII is. It shores up the region for both of those conferences, gives you national coverage, and isn't a threat because we're the only ones that play football.
No.

Reaction Score
Yeah except for the fact that no one cares about the Big East and its tiny Catholic schools with non-existent fan bases.

Reaction Score

The SEC and B1G would need to go to 20 teams before they can attempt to break away. That’s not enough, at least I don’t think so, to take control of March Madness. Right now it appears that we are headed to a P3 if/when the ACC GOR expires. It‘s possible that the 3rd conference to 20 teams will get a seat at the table.

The P2/3 will eventually control access to March Madness just as they do now to the CFB playoffs.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah except for the fact that no one cares about the Big East and its tiny Catholic schools with non-existent fan bases.

Way to ignite any credibility you had. Those city schools generally draw pretty well, while the SEC in particular has trouble filling arenas despite half the crowd getting in on virtually free student tickets.

Reaction Score
Way to ignite any credibility you had. Those city schools generally draw pretty well, while the SEC in particular has trouble filling arenas despite half the crowd getting in on virtually free student tickets.

Ahhhh...basketball...the SEC did have 7 of the top 10 in football attendance last season.

Reaction Score
Why would it surprise you that giant state universities get more fans in the arena than small, private schools?
Yes, attendance is a cute little stat but has more to do with other factors (arena size for one) than national reach. Arkansas had about the same average attendance as Duke and UConn combined in 22. Probably does not mean they have bigger reach.

Reaction Score
Food for thought (just aligning ducks in a row):
If the XII is to announce this week the addition of UConn, what better day than Friday as the BBQ event at the RENT is that evening? It would be THE topic of discussion & a public relations bonanza...

Reaction Score
If the XII is to announce this week the addition of UConn, what better day than Friday as the BBQ event at the RENT is that evening? It would be THE topic of discussion & a public relations bonanza...
I see nothing on this anywhere. Link?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
I see nothing on this anywhere. Link?
It's an invitation only event for season ticket holders/donors.

Edit: Here's the link about it on the football board:

Reaction Score
Why would it surprise you that giant state universities get more fans in the arena than small, private schools?

I was responding in a nice way to Nelson's quote...the SEC isn't a basketball conference, but they do have more in average attendance than the BE and almost equal to the Big 12...Both Arkansas and Kentucky are top five in attendance which bolsters their conference numbers.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Why would it surprise someone that the on-campus SEC schools draw a little bit more than big city Big East schools when half the crowd at an SEC game are students that are there for free (or close to it) while almost everyone at a Big East game is paying full price for their ticket?

Reaction Score
One of the worst ways to create a PR bonanza is to announce something on a summer Friday. Every person in the PR industry knows this.

The B12 would 100% not adjust their timeline of making such an announcement because of a BBQ at UConn, or any school.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I absolutely believe this. That moron from OU is still bitching about the possibility of UConn joining a conference his school is leaving. Some of these traditional football powers hate the idea of being joined with programs that aren't. SDSU in particular must be a tough sell. SMU at least has history, however tainted the best of it is. They are old SWC, so even if an outsider now, they were in a conference with Texas and A&M back to 1918. If anybody wondered why SMU was the first school the Pac called, there's your answer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom