Non-Key Tweets | Page 887 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Ok. Just don't tell the Big12 commissioner that.

“Do I think we’re undervalued? Certainly I do. Do I think there’s an opportunity down the road to maybe decouple football from basketball when we go back into that next TV cycle? I certainly do,” said Yormark. “No one has thought about it that way."
Yes, and maybe he can pull that off. But just how much can you expand and help that value? UConn and Colorado would get them to 14. Arizona and ASU would be 16. Beyond 12 you aren't adding inventory, you're just adding teams. There are only going to be so many league games. That's even more true in football, but the Big East has a round robin, most leagues can't. So a school like St. Johns isn't additive at all. UConn is. Arizona is. Because a game between say K-State and UConn or UA is a bigger game than K-State - Iowa State. K-State vs St. Johns isn't.

At this stage that is what I think drives expansion (Hence UCLA and USC). Inventory doesn't really go up because league games are capped. But with more big name/big brand programs, you can build a schedule that has more appealing matchups every week. There will be dud games, but you don't care b/c those are being sold to CBSSN or will be non linear.

Reaction Score
I listen to his PATC show. I don’t think he’s full of crap. He has never lied to his audience. When he receives bad information, he admits it. He clearly has connections, as evidenced by his knowledge of USC joining the B1G months in advance. I believe he was posting that was going to happen for 4 months before the world knew.
I can't always fault people for things they don't know, but are you unfamiliar with his history? He has been a self -proclaimed conference realignment expert/insider for years and in all that time has gotten one "scoop"

Everything else has been drivel

GG

Reaction Score
I listen to his PATC show. I don’t think he’s full of crap. He has never lied to his audience. When he receives bad information, he admits it. He clearly has connections, as evidenced by his knowledge of USC joining the B1G months in advance. I believe he was posting that was going to happen for 4 months before the world knew.
I agree that he definitely gets some good information, and he will also admit when he does not. That being said, I would imagine he has limited sources that may be providing information from their perspective.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugar is implying the Big 12 presidents do not want UCONN football but would consider basketball. Also indicating Big 12 looking at basketball only schools including Zags and SJU. Any truth (he seems to get some good info).
It’s just recycled aggregate narratives from other people …
He's full of crap.
Thanks. He indicated earlier today that there are discussions going on this week regarding basketball only adds. Do you believe there’s any truth to that? I actually don’t think it’s a horrible idea.

He’s just repackaging this Pat Forde article from a week ago:

-> Plan A might be plundering two to four teams from the Pac-12. Plan B might be a Colorado-UConn power play—but if Colorado is a non-starter, that probably ends the scenario. Non-football aspirations could involve St. John’s, which has the big-dollar booster backing of Vitamin Water founder Mike Repole and just landed Rick Pitino as its coach. They could involve Gonzaga, the hoops power of the Pacific Northwest, which would get the Big 12 into all four time zones and at least partially fulfill pursuit of a coast-to-coast conference.

And, dare to dream, should the Big 12 continue to pursue an NYC presence, grabbing Syracuse in the fallout from an Atlantic Coast Conference breakup could be a (far) down-the-road idea. Between UConn, St. John’s and Syracuse, the Big 12 could actually deliver a decent slice of the New York City market—at least in one sport. <-

Reaction Score
Ok. Just don't tell the Big12 commissioner that.

“Do I think we’re undervalued? Certainly I do. Do I think there’s an opportunity down the road to maybe decouple football from basketball when we go back into that next TV cycle? I certainly do,” said Yormark. “No one has thought about it that way."
Did you read what I wrote? I said that if they get decoupled, then it makes sense. I expressed no opinion on whether or not that would happen. Sheesh.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Did you read what I wrote? I said that if they get decoupled, then it makes sense. I expressed no opinion on whether or not that would happen. Sheesh.

You said it was a crazy idea, just replying in kind. I don't think I'm the one with the stick up my keester here.

GG

Reaction Score
That is likely correct, but this is the second person that has shared this type of rumor. Back in March or April another Twitter account posted something similar and indicated that St. John’s in Villanova were exploring this option.

Reaction Score
You said it was a crazy idea, just replying in kind. I don't think I'm the one with the stick up my keester here.
No I didn't. You can't read three words apart from the sentence I wrote. I said "it's a crazy idea if ..." and then went on to say if the way we currently do things stays the way we do things.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No I didn't. You can't read three words apart from the sentence I wrote. I said "it's a crazy idea if ..." and then went on to say if the way we currently do things stays the way we do things.

Yeah, and the commissioner of the league is quoted as saying it's something he wants to explore changing.

Bizarre hill to die on.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You misread his post

He's talking in absolutes on a message board where all we do is speculate.

It's akin to saying UConn to the Big 12 is crazy until UConn is actually in the Big 12.

You don't read well. I sincerely hope it doesn't interfere with your life.

Being sanctimonious in doses has some charm to it as our resident curmudgeon. You're overdoing it though.

Reaction Score
In other words, it’s over. =(
Trying to stay positive:

It was Dennis Dodd who at the beginning of July said:

"There will be a significant push to get UConn into the Big 12. I don't know which way that will go; they're terrible in football and have travel issues. He will have to get that past the presidents. But the fact that it's being talked about now, especially in basketball, suggests there's some support with it. ..."

At around 19:00 in this video from an interview two weeks ago, Yormark says that the Board has given him a lot of latitude to move forward to get things done.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yeah, and the commissioner of the league is quoted as saying it's something he wants to explore changing.

Bizarre hill to die on.

Yormark is not the only one thinking this way. There is a decent good chance that football and basketball will be decoupled at some point. It really depends on how streaming content is sold directly to consumers. There are a lot of ways this can go.

Reaction Score
Thanks. He indicated earlier today that there are discussions going on this week regarding basketball only adds. Do you believe there’s any truth to that? I actually don’t think it’s a horrible idea.
Well I think it is a crazy idea. Why would UConn EVER do that? But I would be interested in your reasoning. And I certainly would not flame you for having an opinion.

Reaction Score
I like Greg. He's entertaining with the PATC Theater and can tell a good story presenting realignment that way. I thought today was a bit much when he said that he knows what Yormark is doing right now. He has no idea what Yormark is doing.

As huskymedic posted, he's following the ideas in the Pat Forde article. He's trying to read tea leaves, just like we are.

Reaction Score
Have not watched

Again, non of these guys know anything. It's always some guy who knew this guy, who knew this guy that said.

They are a pretentious bunch Ill say that. Some of the PAC 12 media rights info is out there, and it sucks, so Colorado moving on soon is very possible.

I cannot wait until a shoe drops just to hear these clowns wallow in the mire

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
UCF, probably yes. Had we won #5 sooner, we might have replaced UCF. The others? Nope. Vastly better football, and evidently BYU was critical to the new TV deal. BYU has a lot of TV pull.
As far as I am aware, we weren't even considered for that round. That was triage for the loss of OU and Texas. That round of expansion was a reactive move. This round of expansion is a proactive move.

Reaction Score
Again, non of these guys know anything. It's always some guy who knew this guy, who knew this guy that said.

They are a pretentious bunch Ill say that. Some of the PAC 12 media rights info is out there, and it sucks, so Colorado moving on soon is very possible.

I cannot wait until a shoe drops just to hear these clowns wallow in the mire
Some of the stuff they say is suspect, for sure. Like "UConn only makes sense if you're adding Gonzaga."

Hrrrgh, I won't even wait to hear the logic on that one.

Or, "you need to add teams in the Pac-10 that provide real value."

But, uhm, the Pac-10 teams will only come if they, uh, don't have real value in a TV package.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom