Non-Key Tweets | Page 987 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
UNC is synonymous with the ACC....UNC is the heart of the conference historically and culturally.

The situation in North Carolina is much more complicated than that at Clemson or FSU. The whole state is heavily invested in the ACC as a conference...four schools, conference office, championships at North Carolina locations. A political mine field.

This could be a test of football/basketball branding...UNC is a brand...a basketball brand versus being a football brand. Is a Kansas a strong enough brand to attract the Bihg Ten ? Is UNC ?

I think that UNC will be constrained by political forces, but if they do break away there is a P2 place for them.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I would not be at all surprised to see BC going to the Big Ten. I suspect once the ACC implodes, ND will take BC with them to the Big Ten to have a like minded partner in that conference.
Can't see it. Supposedly in the streaming era, markets will not matter as much as brands that people tune in to watch. In that world BC is DOA.

Reaction Score
Can't see it. Supposedly in the streaming era, markets will not matter as much as brands that people tune in to watch. In that world BC is DOA.
Literally nothing would surprise me at this point. Maine could get an invite to the SEC and I wouldn't bat an eye. SMU getting an invite to the ACC over us was the nail in the coffin for me that so much of this just makes no sense to me.

Reaction Score
Literally nothing would surprise me at this point. Maine could get an invite to the SEC and I wouldn't bat an eye. SMU getting an invite to the ACC over us was the nail in the coffin for me that so much of this just makes no sense to me.
True too.

Reaction Score
I would not be at all surprised to see BC going to the Big Ten. I suspect once the ACC implodes, ND will take BC with them to the Big Ten to have a like minded partner in that conference.

ND is a completely different beast than BC. The fact that they are both Catholic universities will have nothing to do with them getting into the BiG. As for AAU status, I don't think that is the end all it used to be for the BiG and I believe ND does not hold that designation and would be readily admitted to the BiG.

BC is not ending up in the BiG.

Reaction Score
As a UConn fan, I don't laugh at much anymore, especially when, in the same past scenario, we would laugh at the thought of powerhouse Rutty going B1G. No one in NYC cares about Rutgers, but that didn't stop the cable TV pull; repeat scenario for BC. Whenever one thinks they might know what is driving conference realignment, we see everything from perennial losers like Rutgers to dumpsterfire academic programs like Ville joining a conference that once prided itself on that front to programs with more recent success (SMU) paying their way into the ACC with Big Oil money all while Oregon State gets pushed out.

Call everything that happens luck at this point, the right place (cities with high tv markets) at the right time (recent success).
BC is not really a research university and did $68 million in research in 2022. They will never become part of AAU. They don't have a medical school or really a school of engineering (you can can an undergraduate "engineering" degree, but it's a liberal arts program.) so they really don't fit with the Big 10. Why would the Big 10 take BC when they could grab Duke, UNC, Virginia, Georgia Tech,.....

Reaction Score
Here is a top 25 all-time list for basketball programs, if basketball were to become more important in realignment decisions......

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Carolina's ability to maintain excellence at a high level is going to require really prudent budgeting and revenue models and potential cost cutting," Boliek said.

Perhaps they should better manage there labor cost by reducing or eliminating professor positions. I mean, it's not like UNC kids have a history of actually going to class...

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Of course SMU bought their way in.

Reaction Score
I still get mad thinking SMU is an ACC team now....such a slap in the face.

Reaction Score
UNC is synonymous with the ACC....UNC is the heart of the conference historically and culturally.

The situation in North Carolina is much more complicated than that at Clemson or FSU. The whole state is heavily invested in the ACC as a conference...four schools, conference office, championships at North Carolina locations. A political mine field.

This could be a test of football/basketball branding...UNC is a brand...a basketball brand versus being a football brand. Is a Kansas a strong enough brand to attract the Bihg Ten ? Is UNC ?

I think that UNC will be constrained by political forces, but if they do break away there is a P2 place for them.
All true, but the powers that be in North Carolina will not force UNC to be a have-not when a conference move would be in their best interest.

Reaction Score

Right. I think it didn’t pass this year but there was a bill in the Carolina legislature to require UNC to play NC State annually and ECU and Appalachian State home and home on a rotating basis. (1 each year, not both). If you think UNC is leaving NC State high and dry like UCLA did to Cal think again.
Interesting article. It was dated 11/19/2020. My knee jerk reaction is that UConn should jump from #8 to #6 if the list was updated through 2024.
I guess you can make any criteria you want. Heck in the 1960s the NIT was much more highly regarded than the NCAA. Until the mid-70s it wasn’t unusual for teams to select it over the NCAA if they got invited to both. The NCAA was limited to conference champs plus a handful of Independents. Most of the original Big East were Independents. A few were in sort of quasi-leagues from time to time. More akin to the Little 3 than the Big 10, if you will. A bunch of teams in the same area who played each other because they were nearby so they gave themselves a name. Then there were teams that really were Indy. UNC gets conference champion points from the 1950s. So does UConn. Georgetown was Independent until the Big East was formed I believe. It was in the 1970s at least.

I think we should consider giving points for teams that wear blue.

Reaction Score
I still get mad thinking SMU is an ACC team now....such a slap in the face.
With whom are you angry? Whose face got slapped, and who did the slapping?

SMU got its ducks in a row, its administration acted in what it perceived to be its own best interests, and over the near term it's paying for the privilege of ACC membership.

UConn could have done the same but didn't. Was it a lack of imagination or strategic vision, or did UConn unwittingly dodge a bullet?

Will SMU's instant gratification be worth it over the long term? If it finds itself in a rapidly deteriorating ACC and is orphaned, then maybe not. If its fractures heal and ACC endures, then SMU's move was genius.

Reaction Score
I think a blown-up ACC will still be much stronger than the current AAC, so in that sense, SMU made a smart move. However, it is unrealistic to think the ACC is going to retain all of its current members. The ACC might become a slightly stronger version of what the original Conference USA and/or the original AAC was. That is a very realistic possibility. That is still better than what the current AAC is.

Reaction Score

And it was their previous AD who as commissioner made all these deals with ESPN to protect his sons job with Raycom.
So North Carolina is to blame for the bad contracts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom