Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Schadenfreude: I have to say it. It is heartening to see Notre Dame, once Coach Geno's bette noir, go down in the ACC tournament after losing key players. Coach Geno lost several key players, but he's playing for the league championship.

The Evil Empire, Tennessee, got blown out by a South Carolina team to whom Connecticut lost by a few points.

Stanford, a team that has on more than one occasion broken long Connecticut win streaks, and whose coach has displayed something less than graciousness on more than one occasion, went down before their conference finals.

Nice to see that Coach Geno and his Huskies are still standing, still fighting, still contesting for a championship, despite everything. His rivals, on the other hand, are going down. Schadenfreude.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
No one wants to be in UConn's bracket with the way this team is playing, and that includes South Carolina. I also want to hear from those people that voted them #9 in both polls, betcha they are in the Top 5 tomorrow in the AP after seeing who's lost this weekend.

Reaction Score
Against a GOOD team like Marquette that runs an intelligent and tight offense, that might be the most locked in, connected defense I've seen UConn play in maybe 5 years. The switching and rotation was outstanding.
Agree completely but the thing that impressed me most was how both Aaliyah and especially Dorka drove to the basket Instead of settling for a jump shot.

Reaction Score
Wow!

UConn showed yesterday and today energy that they haven't shown in a LOOONG time. With a full roster they can do things they haven't been able to do with a short bench. The steals, the (very occasional) backcourt pressure -- you can't do that if you're afraid of fouling or if you can't take a break.

Where are the "fans" who said UConn couldn't win the Big East or make it to the Final Four now? :D I think some teams' hearts have sunk watching UConn the last couple of days.
I voted finals but no championship. I'm sooooo wrong!

Reaction Score
Agree completely but the thing that impressed me most was how both Aaliyah and especially Dorka drove to the basket Instead of settling for a jump shot.
Totally agree that the bigs now can drive to the hoop and have in recent games with good success. The major change is having Nika go coast to coast and finish well. This is a key for early scoring and pacing our game to a quicker clock. This is where we thrive. Griffen also took the ball to the hoop and posted up well. We have a lot of serious scoring options. Most teams don't have lock-down defensive options, we do. Azzie is very much underrated as a defensive player. Ines has great defensive instincts.

Reaction Score
Few Thoughts:
*This was the best game for UConn in a long long long time.
*The defense was unreal and made Marquette rush their shots and take bad shots. The switching was great. The communication great. The energy amazingly high!
*Having the ability to bring Azzi and CD from the bench does wonders for the team. They play with confidence. with no let down of energy and effort.
*The team missed way too many bunnies but could recover due to the amazing defense. Ines missing a lay-up and then sprinting to get the ball back was amazing!
*Edwards: All American performance today!
*Lou: played only 24 minutes and was very efficient. Having Azzi and CD takes so much pressure from her.
*Dorka: real good game by her. and another double double!
*Aubrey: a great game by her! played to her strengths (and those are bountiful).
*Nika: controlled the game and as was mentioned by others, if UConn would have not missed those bunnies, would have another UConn assist record.
Azzi: changes the game just by her presence. There is no team willing to leave her open and that leaves open lanes for AE, Dorka and Aubrey. Hopefully she re-discovers her shot (tomorrow?) soon. But even if she misses shots you want her to continue and take them as everyone knows it's only a question of time before she starts knocking them in bunches.
CD: solid minutes. I was just happy she was not hit on the head today.
Ines: showed the heart of a Husky!
AP: it is strange but she is whistled for fouls if she is only in the general vicinity of an opposing player. No one else is whistled for the fouls she is.
Amari: loved her put back.
A great win! now let's go and win the Big East Tournament Championship!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Someone asked about the conference tournament record, and the announcers actually gave the number - 29 straight wins in the Old BE, AAC and New BE tournaments. Last loss was March 12 2013 to ND in the the final for the third loss to ND that year . Got our revenge in the NCAA FF! :cool:

Reaction Score
I’m on the Ines bandwagon, by the way. She had a nice game today

Ines is super quick on defense. She is able to stay between her opponent and the basket without any problem- I think she could become one of the best defenders on the team. I also like her offensive game, her shot looks very good. She shouldn't be overlooked in the future- this girl can play!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Schadenfreude: I have to say it. It is heartening to see Notre Dame, once Coach Geno's bette noir, go down in the ACC tournament after losing key players. Coach Geno lost several key players, but he's playing for the league championship.

The Evil Empire, Tennessee, got blown out by a South Carolina team to whom Connecticut lost by a few points.

Stanford, a team that has on more than one occasion broken long Connecticut win streaks, and whose coach has displayed something less than graciousness on more than one occasion, went down before their conference finals.

Nice to see that Coach Geno and his Huskies are still standing, still fighting, still contesting for a championship, despite everything. His rivals, on the other hand, are going down. Schadenfreude.
Huh bartender............I'll have what Fairfield fan is having!! :D

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
No one wants to be in UConn's bracket with the way this team is playing, and that includes South Carolina. I also want to hear from those people that voted them #9 in both polls, betcha they are in the Top 5 tomorrow in the AP after seeing who's lost this weekend.
Luv it I wanna see Stanford Indiana and LSU drop like UConn did 4 spots in the polls with their losses to unranked teams. I wanna see UConn as a 1 seed now that they have Azzi and Caroline back.

Reaction Score
Are they still doing polls? I thought the next one isn't until after the national championship game?

Reaction Score
Ines looked like she belonged on the floor today than in any other appearance I can recall. She was where she was supposed to be seemingly at all times and did not have the deer in the headlights look about her that has detracted from her time. Would have more comfort with her going forward based on what we saw today.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Right now the game is tough, neck-and-neck. I hope it goes into 5 OT. :)
Villanova survived by 2 to win. Too bad Creighton couldn’t come through for us. I’d rather play them. They don’t have the nation’s leading scorer or the BE player of the year on their team. Since you don’t get to choose who you play, you play whoever is in front of you with the cards you’re dealt.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Everything has changed for UConn with Caroline and Azzi on the floor. I keep repeating that because it is the difference. Do you realize that Caroline and Azzi havent scored a bunch of points yet. It may take a little time but when they do well if you think today was awesome just wait til the two of them get going

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom