Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All we need now is 7 more wins. A week or so ago most of us would have said that was most unlikely but after these last 2 games it’s once again a possibility. The time off after the Big East Tournament will be really helpful to get Azzi and Caroline fully involved.
Not me, this team without Azzi lost only by 4 to SC, with Azzi, and Caroline, this team is #2, looking at a revenge game against SC in the finals!

Reaction Score
I'll bet you weren't half as tired watching UConn's defense as Marquette was. :rolleyes:
Marq starters looked like they began quitting late in the 3rd, nothing they could do to get back in the game!
All know after tomorrow, the NCAA will be all looking to start building up a rematch between UCONN and SC,,,,,cause the DOGS ARE ON THE PROWL!

Reaction Score
Where are the "fans" who said UConn couldn't win the Big East or make it to the Final Four now? :D
I admit I moaned a bit that this team couldn’t to it this year but I love being proved wrong!!

I’m officially on the Inez bandwagon. Also AP is TALL!!! Next year when she’s stronger, watch out!

6FD343FA-8F67-4D3E-86E2-171974F31179.jpeg
78C88DF0-BF73-410B-BCFC-59606DDF4185.jpeg

Reaction Score
I admit I moaned a bit that this team couldn’t to it this year but I love being proved wrong!!

I’m officially on the Inez bandwagon. Also AP is TALL!!! Next year when she’s stronger, watch out!

View attachment 84718 View attachment 84719
Great pics,,,,AP is tall, yea but check out 'Ice' when she's standing in a team huddle, not many teams gonna get physical with UCONN next year!

Reaction Score
This Team is filled with the Spirit of the World. I Liked it. This brings back fond memories of UConn dominance that I have not seen for a while. Congratualations to the Team and the Coaching Staff. It is amazing what a little rest and healing can do for you. Great smothering Defense!

Reaction Score
The UConn of old! If we can stay healthy, get Azzi and Caroline back in the flow ,continue to play the way they have the last 2 games I not only see a BET Championship BUT, another Final 4 appearance!!! Genos rant worked and motivated these young ladies !!! Congrats UCONN!!!!!!
So agree. And I look for Villanova and Creighton to play all out. And like Marquette today, ran out of gas. To finally put them all in the same place uconn has been for most of the year. And UConn is very much more battle tested.
Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
The starting 5 is playing BB right now with no worry about fatigue or not being fresh to finish a game. They know they will get rest and they are playing like it right now. The defense today was fantastic and they did a good job on the turnovers again in this game. Dorka played with some fire today on the boards and defense which is trouble for opposing teams.

Offense on the other hand was fantastic inside but the outside shooting was still pretty average for this group. The thing is though the defense has to honor the shooters whether they make the shots or not and that is opening up the inside for Dorka and especially AE. Once Azzi gets her shot honed in this offense will be scary and with a deeper bench that Geno trusts they will not go easy.

Who wants to play this UCONN team before the Final Four?

Reaction Score
Any Uconn fan that finds anything wrong with this game should be kicked off the Boneyard.
Please don't kick me off, please. The only thing I didn't like was Azzi in the game when it was a blow out. She should have been taken out with 4 or 5 minutes remaining. What was the score and when in the game did Paige get hurt last year?

Reaction Score
So agree. And I look for Villanova and Creighton to play all out. And like Marquette today, ran out of gas. To finally put them all in the same place uconn has been for most of the year. And UConn is very much more battle tested.
Go Huskies.
Right now the game is tough, neck-and-neck. I hope it goes into 5 OT. :)

Reaction Score
Some Thoughts on the Marquette game:
  • The last time these teams met, a 59-52 Marquette win in Milwaukee, UConn had only 8 healthy players, all UConn starters played at least 36+ minutes, the Huskies got 0 pts from the bench and the team was clearly exhausted by the end of the game. Today, with Azzi & Caroline back, the Huskies went 10 deep and never once looked fatigued.
  • For the 2nd game in a row UConn dialed it up, playing SUFFOCATING DEFENSE. I was really impressed with how relentless the Huskies were in fighting through the maze of screens that Marquette sets on offense, drawing numerous moving screen fouls in the process.
  • Aaliyah, Dorka & Aubrey all came to play today, and unlike the game in Milwaukee, UConn dominated the paint in a physical matchup against a very physical Marquette team.
  • It’s always comforting when UConn forces an opponent to call a timeout prior to the 1st TV timeouts of both halves!!!! :eek:
  • Nika was outstanding today attacking the basket off the dribble, dropping 10 dimes and playing ferocious defense. Had her teammates not missed a bunch of layups Nika probably would have broken the UConn, single game assist record again. :cool:
  • Lou seemed to be finding her shots in rhythm today. She hit one 3 in the 1st half when 2 defenders followed Azzi to the opposite side of the court, leaving Lou all alone at the arc on the other side, something she probably hasn’t experienced in months. ;)
  • I absolutely loved the effort from Ines when she blocked a shot at the top of the key, took off on the break only to get a pass from Azzi that was just a bit too long, then hustled like mad to get back on defense to strip the ball from the Marquette player. THAT IS UCONN HUSKY BASKETBALL AT ITS BEST!!!
  • Today UConn won the rebounding battle, the turnover battle, the foul battle and, most importantly, the scoreboard battle.
  • I cannot remember the last time UConn WBB didn’t play for the championship of their conference tournament, and I hope I never do…….:rolleyes:
Suffocating indeed! And I'm loving the play of Ines today.

Reaction Score
Against a GOOD team like Marquette that runs an intelligent and tight offense, that might be the most locked in, connected defense I've seen UConn play in maybe 5 years. The switching and rotation was outstanding.

Reaction Score
Can’t say enough about Ines. Was great to see her getting well deserved praise here.
When she missed the layup but by damned stole the ball back she showed she is the UConn “girl “ that we’ve been waiting for

Reaction Score
“Flawless” is the word of the day. A great game for all. And azzi is coming. The shots will fall but hopefully she comes in looser tomorrow knowing her team has this, she does not have to step in and play out of her mind or “save the day” - she just needs to keep doing exactly what she’s doing and take what the defense gives her. Every shot she’s taking is a good one and exactly what she should be taking in the flow of our offense. I have a feeling after the fun had by all today, they will come in tomorrow ready to play tough but enjoy the moment.

Reaction Score
Please don't kick me off, please. The only thing I didn't like was Azzi in the game when it was a blow out. She should have been taken out with 4 or 5 minutes remaining. What was the score and when in the game did Paige get hurt last year?
It is not about making sure she doesn’t re-injure herself; it is about getting her sea legs under her and her timing and rhythm back. That will only happen in games. The expectation some seemed to have that she was going to miss the time she did and step right in at the level she started the season out at was just not realistic.

Reaction Score
It’s nit-picking, but I thought UConn allowed too many kick-outs and passes for open looks at a 3 or long 2.
I think your absolutely right........It IS nit-picking. But while we're nit-picking lets nit pick about the missed lay ups. That drives me nuts.

Reaction Score
I went back through this thread to see how many times Lou was mentioned. Only a small handful. That alone speaks volumes of her. You just expect her 12-15 ppg. and she delivers almost every time. Amazing player, glad she came to UConn.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Stop. There is a championship game tomorrow. Azzi needs to play, find a rhythm and regain her confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom