Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We have a sighting of the real UCONN Huskies! The defensive effort was fantastic. They swarmed Marquette in the paint and relentlessly pursued them on the perimeter. This forced King and crew into uncomfortable shots and the long rebounds allowed the transition game to get going. All of the starters had fantastic games, and you could see that they came to play from the opening tip. Aubrey was everywhere, and Aaliyah owned the paint - she had more points in the paint by herself than did the entire Marquette team. And when did Dorka learn to drive to the basket? With Azzi’s presence helping to stretch the floor and Lou’s shot looking smooth, this was the most complete game the Huskies have put together on both sides of the ball in weeks. My one complaint is all the missed layups - I screamed “how did you miss that?!” too many times. Fortunately, it did not matter this afternoon. This was the Huskies day. Hopefully they can replicate this performance seven more times.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
To paraphrase Frankie Valli - "Oh What a Game!"

Championship caliber defense all game. Completely suffocated and choked off Marquette's offense.

Our offense was clicking. Being back to full strength with Azzi and Caroline, Marquette could not double team Lou or anyone else. They couldn't clog the lane for fear of the kick out and a 3. Consequently, UConn scored 48 points in the paint. Aaliyah and Dorka torched Marquette.

Ines earned her spot today. Hustle play, a block, a steal and then the three. BTY - that girl can play some serious defense.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
To paraphrase Frankie Valli - "Oh What a Game!"

Championship caliber defense all game. Completely suffocated and choked off Marquette's offense.

Our offense was clicking. Being back to full strength with Azzi and Caroline, Marquette could not double team Lou or anyone else. They couldn't clog the lane for fear of the kick out and a 3. Consequently, UConn scored 48 points in the paint. Aaliyah and Dorka torched Marquette.

Reaction Score
With the deeper bench, starters can play in-yer-face defense without worrying about fouling out or getting too tired. And with Azzi and Caroline in the quiver, the starters relax and don’t feel the pressure that they have to carry the team. Having those two back makes this a completely different team.
This is the key right here. With Azzi and Caroline now available and playing everyone can exert more energy at both ends of the court. Now when Geno sends them in the team can continue to play at a high pace on both offense and defense. 8, 9, and 10 have generally only been contributing on one end.

Reaction Score
Great energy on defense...great energy on offense...great energy from the crowd,,,and now great energy in the Boneyard! Keep it up for another few weeks and the celebration we only dreamed of will be really something else!

Reaction Score
I am sitting close to the court today so I could see with my own eyes how smothering the UConn D was. They barely gave Marquette room to breathe and NEVER looked winded or gave up on a play. Great to see.

Really makes you appreciate how tough they are playing. The difficult season absolutely was a blessing in disguise IMO.
contrast with LSU who made themselves a cupcake schedule.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Wow!

UConn showed yesterday and today energy that they haven't shown in a LOOONG time. With a full roster they can do things they haven't been able to do with a short bench. The steals, the (very occasional) backcourt pressure -- you can't do that if you're afraid of fouling or if you can't take a break.

Where are the "fans" who said UConn couldn't win the Big East or make it to the Final Four now? :D I think some teams' hearts have sunk watching UConn the last couple of days.

Reaction Score
Wow!

UConn showed yesterday and today energy that they haven't shown in a LOOONG time. With a full roster they can do things they haven't been able to do with a short bench. The steals, the (very occasional) backcourt pressure -- you can't do that if you're afraid of fouling or if you can't take a break.

Where are the "fans" who said UConn couldn't win the Big East or make it to the Final Four now? :D I think some teams' hearts have sunk watching UConn the last couple of days.
Big Booooooooootay...say it louder for the people in the back!

Reaction Score
Some Thoughts on the Marquette game:
  • The last time these teams met, a 59-52 Marquette win in Milwaukee, UConn had only 8 healthy players, all UConn starters played at least 36+ minutes, the Huskies got 0 pts from the bench and the team was clearly exhausted by the end of the game. Today, with Azzi & Caroline back, the Huskies went 10 deep and never once looked fatigued.
  • For the 2nd game in a row UConn dialed it up, playing SUFFOCATING DEFENSE. I was really impressed with how relentless the Huskies were in fighting through the maze of screens that Marquette sets on offense, drawing numerous moving screen fouls in the process.
  • Aaliyah, Dorka & Aubrey all came to play today, and unlike the game in Milwaukee, UConn dominated the paint in a physical matchup against a very physical Marquette team.
  • It’s always comforting when UConn forces an opponent to call a timeout prior to the 1st TV timeouts of both halves!!!! :eek:
  • Nika was outstanding today attacking the basket off the dribble, dropping 10 dimes and playing ferocious defense. Had her teammates not missed a bunch of layups Nika probably would have broken the UConn, single game assist record again. :cool:
  • Lou seemed to be finding her shots in rhythm today. She hit one 3 in the 1st half when 2 defenders followed Azzi to the opposite side of the court, leaving Lou all alone at the arc on the other side, something she probably hasn’t experienced in months. ;)
  • I absolutely loved the effort from Ines when she blocked a shot at the top of the key, took off on the break only to get a pass from Azzi that was just a bit too long, then hustled like mad to get back on defense to strip the ball from the Marquette player. THAT IS UCONN HUSKY BASKETBALL AT ITS BEST!!!
  • Today UConn won the rebounding battle, the turnover battle, the foul battle and, most importantly, the scoreboard battle.
  • I cannot remember the last time UConn WBB didn’t play for the championship of their conference tournament, and I hope I never do…….:rolleyes:
Telling it like it is, was and (hopefully) will be. Thanks, old dude.

Reaction Score
All we need now is 7 more wins. A week or so ago most of us would have said that was most unlikely but after these last 2 games it’s once again a possibility. The time off after the Big East Tournament will be really helpful to get Azzi and Caroline fully involved.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A few points

-Marquette plays a physical game and in our last meeting took the stuffing out of our gals
Not this afternoon...UConn was by far the more
physical forcing Marquette into irresponsible fouls which further impeded their slim to none chances.

-Yes, Ines is a baller...Nothing new, shouldn't surprise; she dribbles very athletically, moves like a dancer...can shoot; she'll be fine.

-Tony correctly noted that even as a decoy (my formulation, not his); Azzi is incredibly useful...opens room for Lou and especially the space around the lane.
Geno also mentioned it during the half-time interview

-I've been skeptical as to whether the leopard can change its spots; whether the Husky's could regain their early season form; whether Geno's rant, last week, was tactical or as I suggested, that of a frustrated leader, not knowing where to turn...

Well I've been wrong before, and it gives me great pleasure to admit that my negative outlook has to this point been shown to be a big load of crap...

And I'm delighted to so admit...

Viva la difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member