Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
It is just as I thought ... OK! hoped.
"Nika Muhl, with Bueckers they will be the second coming of Sue and "D" but it will be Nika and "P" (maybe "B")! She, who most initially viewed as an afterthought because of Paige's noteriety and Croatian source, will be a most pleasant success."
I had no doubt. Only question was when. Shame on you @SVCBeercats !

Reaction Score
Long term I think Aaliyah is the starting PF because of more upside and a contrasting style that compliments Liv better. Aubrey is a great option, and amazingly Mir can handle the rebounding/blocked shots part of the PF role as well.

But Aaliyah is the only one (unless Piath develops) that can bang with big bodies down low. Amari seems to be like Liv, so even after Liv graduates the argument for Aaliyah's contrasting style will probably apply. Brady will bring a potential banger but probably more from the PF position like Aaliyah.

For certain matchups (players like Boston) it may even make sense to switch defensive roles with Aaliyah taking on the big bodies down low..
Against the Top 3-5 teams, we will need Aaliyah in there. Against most other mid and low tier competitors, the current 4 guard line up is doing well. The real issue is who sits? Its been years since we had this deep a team and it will get deeper next year. Nice problem to have!

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Very nice game from just about everybody. I hope Aubrey's dnp was just precautionary to get her a little more rest for Monday. I really like seeing ONO and AE on the court together. It lets Liv play to her strengths and relieves her of some of the banger duties. She was hedging off screens like Isiah Whaley, no? And AE with a couple full court break outs? Crazy. Seems the key to playing extended minutes with both bigs is confidence that they won't eat silly fouls. That's been better for two games but we'll see what happens when they get challenged. Some of you Liv bashers just need to accept that she's never going to carry this team but she has a lot to contribute and some nights are going to be better than others.
As far as Nika getting the bulk of pg minutes, the benefits seem pretty obvious but the rotation does get crowded. Ew may get some time at the 1 and cw will give some minutes to aubrey. Main thing though, is that instead of Geno's historical practice of rolling with his five or six best, he has some real big/small and off/def buttons to push with this team. And with the flexibility of Aubrey, Anna, and Mir we shouldn't really have to worry about foul trouble.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In the post game presser, when asked why Nika and Paige are playing so well together, Nika hugs Paige and says ita easy, " She is my slime, My twin".

Geno also sees this and confirmed they play alot on their own on 1-1

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Agreed! I think the problems we had against zones were due to several factors. First we are not a great shooting team from the perimeter. We only have two three point shooters that defenses need to game-plan for, Paige and Anna. Christyn and Evina are decent but if the opposition leaves them open it would not be considered a big mistake, but with Paige or Anna it would be.

With Anna out and Paige playing PG, she doesn't have a great 3pt option to pass to. When Nika assumes the point guard role she has a great option to pass to in Paige. In reverse roles that is not so true. Paige at the point will still be very effective with another great shooter or shooters on the floor. Anna's return helps that, maybe Saylor by year end, and of course Azzi and Carolyn next year.

But when Nika and Paige are both in the game, Nika should assume the point guard role most of the time. Paige could be an All American at either role, Nika is a great passing point guard that is far less effective off the ball.
On Nika Geno says you are wrong. Listen to the presser.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Nika's development has allowed UConn to go to a 4 guard lineup. Picked up Anna's but also Aubrey's minutes. Future match ups will likely influence court time once we get everyone back.
What we need is a difference maker coming off the bench, and Anna could be that player if she can get that shot going. Also Saylor once she gets with the program

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Ah, the benefits of a Columbia education. And that's why you're the leader of our Morningside Heights pride.
I knew it was a result of an elite education. Or maybe a calculator. An elite one of course!
It's a good thing Geno did not listen to those people who thought she too slow and could not play any defense.
think Geno might have watched her practice and interact with the team before deciding? He has an unfair advantage over the BY coaching staff.

Reaction Score
Edwards is light years ahead of ONO. She scored 11 points in 16 minutes, compared with the 8 points in 35 minutes for ONO. And while ONO tries to shoot largely from outside, Edwards goes right into the fray under the bucket. ONO's assists are not actually positives, but in fact belie the fact that she won't play underneath, and just stands at the free throw line and dishes off. Coach Geno made clear that Muhl and Edwards are tough and aggressive, and "play UConn basketball." Time to start Edwards.

Reaction Score
Edwards is light years ahead of ONO. She scored 11 points in 16 minutes, compared with the 8 points in 35 minutes for ONO. And while ONO tries to shoot largely from outside, Edwards goes right into the fray under the bucket. ONO's assists are not actually positives, but in fact belie the fact that she won't play underneath, and just stands at the free throw line and dishes off. Coach Geno made clear that Muhl and Edwards are tough and aggressive, and "play UConn basketball." Time to start Edwards.
Another thing I noticed, perhaps I’m wrong, but it just doesn’t seem like the enthusiasm and energy is there with CWill and Ono. I mean they can at times be demonstrative but they are more passive in their personalities. After the game I noticed Nika getting congratulated by Paige and hugged by Anna and right behind her is CWill. She didn’t look as happy or in the moment. Not sure our leadership is in those two (Ono amd CWill). We will need to rely on E and Paige to be the leaders. I think everyone on the team knows that now and the Alpha(s) have presented themselves. It’s Paige and then E.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
True, but you forgot to mention just how much she's had to put up with Geno's 'stubborness'!
i will fight the bold type GIF by Stan.
Understanding, meeting and achieving Geno’s tough standards has made her a better player. It was not that long ago when we saw Geno have a ”one-way” conversation with her on the bench that almost had her in tears. That incident might have broken the will or spirit in some players, but not Nika. It pis#%* her off, and strengthened her resolve to get and play better.

We repeatedly hear former players say that Geno pulled things out of them they didn’t know they had, and pushed them further than they had ever been pushed, and that they were much better players for it. Nika was not playing well, and was getting beat on defense regularly. That had to change!!

Well. Geno is pushing, and Nika is responding. With that nudge from Geno, and help from her coaches and teammates, her game has taken a HUGE turn for the better. I love her moxie and grit. Being around Paige everyday (who has her own brand of moxie and grit) will only strengthen and further her resolve). If Paige hasn’t rubbed off on her yet, she will. ;) There's no way they can be that close and some of Paige's "pixie dust" not rub off on her.

Note - I remember Aliyah Edwards saying in an interview that one of the reasons she chose to come to UConn is because SHE WANTED TO BE COACHED HARD!!! She knew Geno would do that, and not let her cheat her potential. Some elite players in HS don't want to be pushed hard or play defense.

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Don’t be so sure. She has a national TV opportunity Monday against the team everybody thinks is the best team in the country. Something tells me she’s not scared.

But Nika is probably scared... Nope

Yeah, but Aaliyah is probably scared to death. Oh... Nope.
How many players in the country are averaging 20+ PPG, 5+ RPG, 5+ APG while shooting over 55% from both the field and from behind the arc? One?

Reaction Score
Where were you when you missed the Breanna Stewart years?
The reference was to guards.
But, most importantly, Stewart did not have to bear the weight of the leadership role Bueckers was put in from day one. Breanna's freshman year was just OK until the light came on for her about 3/4 through the year.................just in time to be the star of the tournaments of course.:rolleyes:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
True, but you forgot to mention just how much she's had to put up with Geno's 'stubborness'!
Spot on! Nika is pragmatic about her situation with Geno.

Following Saturday’s win over Georgetown, in which she started in place of point guard Paige Bueckers (sprained ankle) and had six points and five turnovers in 36 minutes, Auriemma said Muhl does “a lot of things that are going to make you want to pull your hair out.”

Told of his comments, Muhl laughed and fired back: “He makes me want to pull my hair out, too. We are both very stubborn in our own kind of ways.”

All joking aside, Muhl, 19, realizes she can’t always do things her way. That goes for practice, games, whatever.

“Obviously, he’s always going to win,” Muhl said of Auriemma. “I don’t think I really understand that yet. Hopefully in my time here, I will understand that I’m never going to win so I’ll stop fighting a little bit.”

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
The reference was to guards.
But, most importantly, Stewart did not have to bear the weight of the leadership role Bueckers was put in from day one. Breanna's freshman year was just OK until the light came on for her about 3/4 through the year.................just in time to be the star of the tournaments of course
Maya was a small forward. Wing?

Reaction Score
I support our players and I like what ONO can give us potentially. But the point you are making, comparing ONO and AE is correct. The perfect example is in the "dipsy do" play of PB. Follow ONO and AE off the ball, and your point is clear. Having said that, it makes some sense for ONO to clear the lane as PB comes in. Some sense, but not a lot.

watch AE and ONO off the ball

Reaction Score
I support our players and I like what ONO can give us potentially. But the point you are making, comparing ONO and AE is correct. The perfect example is in the "dipsy do" play of PB. Follow ONO and AE off the ball, and your point is clear. Having said that, it makes some sense for ONO to clear the lane as PB comes in. Some sense, but not a lot.

watch AE and ONO off the ball
Great find.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I called it in the game thread before she came in, just as she got up off the bench. The first of many to come.
Right JordyG!!! Somebody finally took the lid off of the basket for her. The path to glory is going to open up for her now like it did for Moses and his followers AFTER the RED SEA was parted, and they were allowed to pass. Who knows why it takes some UConn players so may attempts to get that first one to fall? Anna, Nika, Autumn and Piath took lots of shots before they got that first one to drop. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another thing I noticed, perhaps I’m wrong, but it just doesn’t seem like the enthusiasm and energy is there with CWill and Ono. I mean they can at times be demonstrative but they are more passive in their personalities. After the game I noticed Nika getting congratulated by Paige and hugged by Anna and right behind her is CWill. She didn’t look as happy or in the moment. Not sure our leadership is in those two (Ono amd CWill). We will need to rely on E and Paige to be the leaders. I think everyone on the team knows that now and the Alpha(s) have presented themselves. It’s Paige and then E.

Over It Reaction GIF

Carnac

Reaction Score
How many players in the country are averaging 20+ PPG, 5+ RPG, 5+ APG while shooting over 55% from both the field and from behind the arc? One?
The fun part about this is she's going to be so much better NEXT YEAR after she has a full season under her belt, and her BFF (Azzi) gets here and joins the fun.

Reaction Score
My 2 cents on the bigs:

Liv – making some nice passes on cutters as GA has her out on the perimeter and not posting up. Liv has looked good the last two games with her passing…but again this is against shorter and less athletic players. I’d like to see her do this against SC.

Poor defense to let a smaller player school her in the paint. She really closes out well when her man is picking a guard and then rushes back to get her man rolling. It will be interesting to see if she can be so aggressive against top teams with a skilled big rolling to the basket.

Pretty pick and dish from EW to Liv. I thought she had a really good 2nd Qtr rebounding the ball and boxing out smaller players which is not easy to do for a taller, thinner player with minimal base.

Sometimes I have to scratch my head with her. When she is in the paint and has one player on her and that player happens to be 3 inches shorter, that is an easy basket for anybody! So instead, she passes the ball out….. She is a ‘pre-programmed’ player most of the time. Not really instinctual at this stage. When the unexpected happens, such as no weakside help (in this game), or she gets the ball on the left side of the basket, she gets befuddled.

Again, she can’t finish in the lane against a much smaller player. It is what it is with Liv. She has a very small comfort zone. I have seen glimpses of her expanding her game and she is still putting it together. It’s is not natural for her….She needs a lot of reps to get things down. She still has value as a rim protector, rebounder, recipient on the pick and roll, a move or two a game maybe, and much more if is she can hit the 12-15 footer! That is a big ‘IF’ though.

I still like her for 12 and 10 at SC though! But I will have my fingers crossed as well.

EW beaten a couple times. Movement on defense is not looking as good lately. It is a bit of a hit and miss with her. Crafty finish on the feed from Liv. Seems to have lapses in judgement 2-3 times a game. Had a sound overall game however.

I’ve mentioned this before, she has some nasty in her. I think she enjoys it when she has a chance to embarrass another player. I’ve seen this a few times this year.

AE – nice play in the open court. Bigs are not usually comfortable in these situations but she seems to be a natural at it. Has some serious movement skills for a big. Did she mean to bank in the short baby hook or was she trying to break backboards again? I think the banker in these situations is by far the higher percentage shot, but most players don’t use it.

Creates so many more opportunities for herself in the paint than Liv because she is simply a bigger, wider and stronger player. She just naturally creates space that Liv can’t create which is why Liv can’t ‘make a living’ solely in the paint. Liv needs to hit that 12-15 footer with consistency and then her game takes off.

When AE is good, she is big time good! PLAY OF THE GAME: The block and full court lay in was special. You don’t see that very often and she made it look easy. Does anybody know if she had this huge growth spurt at some point because bigs just don’t move like she does! Her lung capacity must be 50% larger than the average human because she is just full on, all out, all the time! She is just scratching the surface. She has had her breakout games and now needs consistency AND do it against top level teams.

Excellent movement to get the charge where she lost her teeth. How many bigs can move like that???? She is a 'dancing bear'. Back to back games with no ‘bull in a china shop’ moments. She also helps Liv play to her strengths which is a HUGE plus!

She's always been mobile and has made plays like that before. What she did yesterday is not unusual from what I been able to see during her HS and Crestwood days. No growth spurt, trust me. Her track and field background also helps.

Her training with Canada Basketball also has to be taken into consideration. Not just with the Women's National team, but her involvement overall. They work with players on these types of things and help them expand on their strengths. Along with her work ethic, it's helped her get to where she is currently.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yeiiowing

Top Bottom