Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Directly after the St John's game I noted that UConn's offense benefitted from the best player and ball movement of the season, and that it occurred without Christyn on the floor. Well, CW was on the floor tonight, and again the offense featured very quick ball movement and many well-timed cuts through the defense. And many of you noted that she had, tonight, spent little time lingering on the perimeter or wasting her dribble going nowhere. We can all hope that she is finding the real strength of her game with decisive penetration for layups and short jumpers. She's just got to be happy with that kind of success and the sense that she is contributing real offensive value to her team. Well done, Christyn!
Offense was great last two games and it was because they had the right people in there.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Megan Culmo had actually said in the telecast that early in the season, she did not understand why Geno kept playing Nika. But he saw something she did not. But that is why he is the coach
Megan is an idiot, during the game early defended the charge call on CW, when they player under her when she left her feet and had a foot in the circle, when that was pointed out to her her answer "oh well". Then a few times she complained Nike should have shot the ball, as Nike was passing the ball to a more open player, PB.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I feel good for Liv tonight. Geno now has the luxury to play her in the position that fits her body type and skill set. She is not a banger under the basket and never will be but she has soft hands, good court vision, and very good passing skills. I would she is about the happiest she has been in a while and that hopefully will bode well for her going forward. I hope her dud games are behind her.
Now if she can just consistently hit that elbow jumper we have something.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nika's answer about whether the Coach tries to reel some of the players in about shot selection. Answer. Oh we dont care. Paige cracks up and then starts looking around if coach is around while Nika hasn't a care in the world. Diana and Sveta 2.0. These kids are such fun. We are so lucky. ? ? ?

Reaction Score
Nika has basically picked up Anna's minutes. So, when Anna is ready to come back, what then?
Going to be a lot for discussion this off season for sure.... ;)
37 minutes and just 8 rebounds for a 6'5" post player? Seriously? ONO is really underperforming.
No attack but do you realize she lead the team in rebounds? And this from the offensive side playing the high post which has been very successful in the last two games. Also 7 assists, not sure what some expect but I think Geno has a clue to get the best out of and for Olivia.
Not going to be Tina or Swin overnight but on the road to success in her own time frame. I like how Geno is using her and hope she is enjoying the ride. An important cog in this years machine. :)

Reaction Score
I hope Aaliyah can come into the South Carolina game focused on not being too aggressive that she commits fouls. The is the most anticipated opponent of ours yet. I hope that doesn’t make her overplay. Nice job today by her with 1 foul. She will be needed.
I had no idea how fast AE was until she blocked that shot and sprinted down court to the basket.

Reaction Score
Well played game against a tough, physical team. Real good win!!
Ball movement, again, was great. Marquette was left flat footed most of the night.
Very aggressive, ball hawking defense.
Best guard combo is Paige, Nika and Evina.
Paige plays on a completely different level.
Nika is hard nose, aggressive, full speed again damn the torpedoes!
Aaliyah is one tough kid who plays like a seasoned veteran.
When Christyn drives and slashes she is at her best.
I know many on down on Liv, but a very balanced game from her. She is not the down low bruiser that many want her to be.

A lot of positive comments from Geno in his post game.
The rapport that Nika and Paige have off the court is truly amazing. That was the best post game player interview I’ve ever seen from anybody anytime in any sport.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The best team in the AAC is better than DePaul, next UCF would play UConn closer than Marquette, always does. With the exception of UConn Big least a conference of small private schools, small on campus venues. AAC mostly large public universities with newer facilities.
I like the way you make it sound like the AAC is better than the Big East. I guess that Massey disagrees with you. Currently 3 teams from the Big East get into the dance while only 2 from the AAC.

Big EastRate
Uconn3
Marquette39
DePaul40
Villanova56
Seton Hall66
Creighton82
St John's110
Providence133
Xavier162
Georgetown187
Butler227

AACRate
USF22
UCF55
Houston69
Tulane71
Temple112
Tulsa129
ECU142
Memphis147
Wichita St158
Cincinnati166
SMU229

Reaction Score
She will have to earn some minutes back. She wasn’t exactly doing an awful lot with the minute she was getting before she was injured so no guarantee she gets them back. Nika has earned it.
Wait, wait, do you know when she was injured? I’m unaware of any statement that gave that info. If you don’t know when she was injured, your statement is patently unfair as she may have been affected by it for a long time. If you do know and therefore can state unequivocally that her shooting struggles were not caused by the injury, please share that information with the rest of us. I have no problem with a player getting outplayed and losing her minutes but I do not think it is right to judge an injured player’s performance without taking the injury into account. Clearly, she will have to earn her minutes back regardless but let’s give her the benefit of the doubt on why she was shooting poorly. Also, let’s at least acknowledge that she was contributing in other ways even when she was not shooting well.
37 minutes and just 8 rebounds for a 6'5" post player? Seriously? ONO is really underperforming.
Here we go again!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Saylor like Paige has long arms and the size she's listed is her actual size. She can shoot the three, her early misses notwithstanding. But her defense on the wing is going to be her calling card. She's too big on offense for combo guards and too quick for most wings. She's going to be a handful. And as you see, she gets her shot off quick. I'd like to see her pull up and her dribble drive. By the way, next year you'll see Azzi's power drive is one of the best in WCBB.
Saylor is a 6'2" guard. I want to see her post up some players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am so loving Nika’s play. She’s the sort of kid you’d HATE to play against—but if she’s on your team? All effort and guts. You’d run through a wall for that teammate.
Nika reminds me a little of our former hockey player, Kia Nurse. Nika is a nasty piece of Croatian business!

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One of the best games of the year I’ve our team for sure. At times the the movement and execution was beautiful to see and something we missed last year. Very happy to see the players progressing nicely.
  • Paige - most have said it, but she is amazing. I truly believe that at this moment I don’t see any player better than her in college. Her shot looks so smooth and effortless, it just snaps the net almost every time. At this point she is the best freshman we’ve ever had, slightly ahead of Maya
  • Nika - I was one of the earlier critics and I am glad she’s made me me swallow my words somewhat. She was good on defense today and was such a an effort player especially getting her hands around the ball. One attempted steal where I saw her shoot across the tv screen was amazing even though she didn’t get it the effort was there and I don’t think I’ve ever seen CWil, a junior so that. Hope she keeps it up and gets better. Her three pout shot looks semi decent. Now if she could finish her drives better...
  • CWill - another great example of how she can impact the game. Attack and finish at the rim, drive and put pressure on the defense and get to the foul line, hit mid range jumpers and take a few threes. If she moves within the offense people will get her the ball in good position to score near the basket. She should know by now that volume three point shooting is not needed from her. We have Paige, Evina, Nika and possibly Saylor who can provide us with that threat. Just okay within herself and I think she will compliment the other players perfectly
  • Liv - she played much better after going to the bench. Her effort in the glass was much better and her role now with the emergence of AEdwards is to be a someone who passes, sets screens for our shooters and rolls to basket when defense collapses on Paige or Evina and finish at the rim. Hit the occasional mid range shot or three but the days where do bangs down low with the top post players is probably gone since she takes too much time and effort to put an effective move up. This way she gives Aliyah the list space but also puts pressure on the defense with her ability to screen and roll and not some outside jumpers. Her defense and rebounding I still believe is elite when she is on so defensively we just don’t have anyone like Liv
  • Evina has looked a bit off the last few games and I think something is bothering her. Not sure if it’s the knee but she seems to be playing through something. I’m hoping that it’s not serious and she will make it through the season.
  • Mir - jumped with a foot higher than the opposing player to get an offfensove rebound, it was sick to see that athleticism. She just has an awkward game around the basket but somehow the ball seems to find the basket. Her shot actually looks good mechanically and I think her hustle and energy is great for a freshman. I’m pleasantly surprised by her minutes thus far.

I think Mir needs to know a little better where she is on the floor. Too often, she is directly under that basket, which is a tough spot to shoot from. Hence, hand grenades. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom