Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Are these the faces of 2 cold blooded assassins?

View attachment 64329
You just cannot dislike these kids! They are having such a good time, working so hard, and loving each other. That interview was such a breath of fresh air. The perfect antidote to a dismal 12 months. I feel greedy, but I want to watch them every day!

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
took her several weeks less than Anna M...........

There was also a lot less pressure for Saylor. Anna was touted as the answer to so many problems and thrust into a starting role immediately and Saylor should (according to time, not opinion — I’m glad she’s here) still be watching on TV. Not a fair comparison.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Easy to see why they are in second place in the BE. I think Marquette is better than DePaul.
They are in 2nd place because they haven't played DePaul who they play next. They also lost to Seton Hall by 11 and now UConn, while I think while Marquette is good, they are not better than DePaul, this is the 3rd best team in the Big East and Better then thug UCF from the old AAC. How Houston is ranked as high as 66 is beyond me, especially the way they are playing now.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
RockyMTblue2 said:

Don't forget we could be stuck in the AAC. There are a few good teams in the BE and others will improve, just like the first time they hung around with the Huskies.
Also I think the BE has some already very good coaches as well as some young up and coming coaches. Marquette and Villanova come to mind on the latter. I think Mozella (?) from Seton Hall is also quite good.

The bottom of the BE is pretty dreadful. Not sure if it's because of injuries this year or what is ailing the really bad teams, but I hope that the middle and bottom half of the league starts to pick itself up. We will see over the next 3-4 years if they can start recruiting better and be more competitive.

I'd like to see the BE get 4 teams in this year. I think Marquette has a great shot, and Seton Hall is close. Not playing a big OOC schedule makes it hard for those those teams to get quality wins without beating each other up. Neither Hall nor Marquette likely will beat UCONN or Depaul so they won't have a "signature" win. SHU faces Marquette once more. The winner of that game may determine which team makes the tourney...

Hall already beat Marquette once. I would say UCONN, DePaul, SHU and Marquette in that order. But we will see when they play.

As for what happens to Anna when she comes back, I would not be surprised to see her shut down for the rest of the season. With the leg brace, she's doing 0 for fitness and staying in shape. I have a feeling her lackluster play was due to the injury. So we will likely have to deal with who starts and who plays next year when we are more at full strength. I'd love to see her come back, but I'm not hopeful... We will see!

Reaction Score
She's always been mobile and has made plays like that before. What she did yesterday is not unusual from what I been able to see during her HS and Crestwood days. No growth spurt, trust me. Her track and field background also helps.

Her training with Canada Basketball also has to be taken into consideration. Not just with the Women's National team, but her involvement overall. They work with players on these types of things and help them expand on their strengths. Along with her work ethic, it's helped her get to where she is currently.
Thanks for the information.

You just don't see young kids that age with that size move that well and be that agile. She also has quick and nimble feet. She is the definition of a 'dancing bear'.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the information.

You just don't see young kids that age with that size move that well and be that agile. She also has quick and nimble feet. She is the definition of a 'dancing bear'.
I agree wholeheartedly. I've been lucky to see what some of these development programs in ON and Canada Basketball focus on, especially with taller players like AE.

It's needed to compete on an international level. They're working hard to develop more players like this. You'll be seeing more of these types of players over the next few years in my opinion.

Also, I'm not trying to take away from AE's abilities. She would not be the player she is without the dedication she has put into becoming the player she is.

Reaction Score
I agree wholeheartedly. I've been lucky to see what some of these development programs in ON and Canada Basketball focus on, especially with taller players like AE.

It's needed to compete on an international level. They're working hard to develop more players like this. You'll be seeing more of these types of players over the next few years in my opinion.

Also, I'm not trying to take away from AE's abilities. She would not be the player she is without the dedication she has put into becoming the player she is.
I was really high on her before but after watching her for extended minutes the last 2 games, I think she has a great change at being a dominate player and that is without an outside shot. If she hits the outside shot with consistency, I think she can be first team AA by next year. She also has a sweet stroke at the FT line. I think that translate into a consistent outside jumper.

As for this year, I just hope she keeps improving. It is exciting to think how far she has come in just a dozen or so games. I now think about where she will be in another 12 games.....

She could be at 12 and 8 but tournament time.

Reaction Score
I was really high on her before but after watching her for extended minutes the last 2 games, I think she has a great change at being a dominate player and that is without an outside shot. If she hits the outside shot with consistency, I think she can be first team AA by next year. She also has a sweet stroke at the FT line. I think that translate into a consistent outside jumper.

As for this year, I just hope she keeps improving. It is exciting to think how far she has come in just a dozen or so games. I now think about where she will be in another 12 games.....

She could be at 12 and 8 but tournament time.
Just enjoy the development throughout the season. If her last 2 seasons in Canada are any indication, she'll continue to improve. She's with the right program to help her become the best player she can be.

Granted UConn was late to the party from what I recall, I'm glad they recruited her. I'm sure she would have been a success with a lot of top tier programs, but the UConn program and the mentality required there is a perfect fit in my opinion.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
It's always good to hear what the opposition is saying. It is definitely worthwhile to watch the entire video, lots of good points hit. Marquette ( and Milwaukee) loosened their Covid restrictions and allowed parents to attend the game for the first time. ( Although parents were not allowed to interact with the players, kinda sad.) Trust me, you will enjoy watching the entire video.

Reaction Score
PB - This may sound weird, but I think she has really big hands. GA playing her exclusively at 2G even when NM is not in the game – only a couple minutes. He wants her shooting the ball from 3 and first around screens.

Great arc and rotation on her shot. She is in the PB Zone! She busted the 2-3 zone in the 3rd with back to back threes and then one by NM. Duffy had enough of that and flashed up the ‘5’ to switch to man to man. That is what good outside shooting does for you.

It is also a lot more tiring to play man to man all day than it is to play some zone which hopefully means we have an offensive advantage in the 4th Qtr. Also, imagine how tiring it is for the opponents best defensive player to be chasing PB around and fighting through screens all day.
She does. And she also got the Michael Phelps treatment at birth - her arms came out 2 sizes longer than the rest of her.

Reaction Score
She does. And she also got the Michael Phelps treatment at birth - her arms came out 2 sizes longer than the rest of her.
Happy you notice that stuff. Her length causes a lot of disruption, even if she doesn't necessarily cause a turnover, the passing lanes are smaller.

I have this weirdness about me that notices body types of athletes. Big hands and long arms help. My perfect athlete would also have good height but shorter than average legs (good for change of direction) and big feet, flexible back and ankles with ability to bend naturally at the knees. :)

Reaction Score
I was incensed by that move! It was deliberate and nasty. at least a technical. I am surprised more haven’t commented.
No, it wasn't, it was a hard take and an offensive foul, nothing more. She didn't swing her elbows or do anything malicious, if her head didn't just so happen to hit Edwards in the mouth NOBODY would be talking about it, just one of those plays that happen in basketball.

Reaction Score
They are in 2nd place because they haven't played DePaul who they play next. They also lost to Seton Hall by 11 and now UConn, while I think while Marquette is good, they are not better than DePaul, this is the 3rd best team in the Big East and Better then thug UCF from the old AAC. How Houston is ranked as high as 66 is beyond me, especially the way they are playing now.
That could be true but I thought UConn had an easier time handling DePaul without playing their best than Marquette playing their best game of the season.

Reaction Score
Very nice game from just about everybody. I hope Aubrey's dnp was just precautionary to get her a little more rest for Monday. I really like seeing ONO and AE on the court together. It lets Liv play to her strengths and relieves her of some of the banger duties. She was hedging off screens like Isiah Whaley, no? And AE with a couple full court break outs? Crazy. Seems the key to playing extended minutes with both bigs is confidence that they won't eat silly fouls. That's been better for two games but we'll see what happens when they get challenged. Some of you Liv bashers just need to accept that she's never going to carry this team but she has a lot to contribute and some nights are going to be better than others.
As far as Nika getting the bulk of pg minutes, the benefits seem pretty obvious but the rotation does get crowded. Ew may get some time at the 1 and cw will give some minutes to aubrey. Main thing though, is that instead of Geno's historical practice of rolling with his five or six best, he has some real big/small and off/def buttons to push with this team. And with the flexibility of Aubrey, Anna, and Mir we shouldn't really have to worry about foul trouble.
The 3 freshmen of Paige, Edwards, and Nika have changed everything.

The emergence of Nika has opened this team up to many more possibilities.

For example-- it is much, much harder now to play UCONN in a zone. Nika is hitting 10-23 - 43.5% in her last 5 games. Now UCONN has one off-the-charts 3pt shooter, and between Nika and Evina overall they are pretty good 3pt shooters which even if one is off, UCONN is still at least good enough from 3. Frankly, imo now between supreme ball movement, the ability of Evina, Nika and CWill to slash (whether 2 are in all 3) that's gonna get Paige open. Thus a standard zone is going to have to hope Paige is off.

Edwards has been terrific. From the get-go she changes the temperament for UCONN. I am so excited to see how she can play against Boston. Not one-on-one (though that would be cool too) but just overall. For example, Boston is an amazing shot blocker. Can Edwards finish well enough in the paint with Boston lurking?
Also in certain situations can Edwards affect what Boston does with ease vs most teams inside?

As far as the standard thought process vs most of the top teams is that UCONN goes big. I am excited to see that. However, for a short time in the game I'd love to see the small lineup. Paige is shooting 59.6% from 3. That's equivalent to 89.4% from 2. When UCONN is setting picks and double picks -- how is it that if a team is playing big with 2 big players, are they going to get out on Paige, considering all the movement?

All I'm saying is what Nika is doing now just opens up so much. These 3 freshmen have changed UCONN. Excited to see if they can match up with a strong elite caliber team now that the confidence is high.

Reaction Score
There was also a lot less pressure for Saylor. Anna was touted as the answer to so many problems and thrust into a starting role immediately and Saylor should (according to time, not opinion — I’m glad she’s here) still be watching on TV. Not a fair comparison.
not making judgments.........just stating facts.......

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom