Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Paige is the Phenomenon of the year. Nika is the player of the week. Liya is the co-player of the week. Mir & Aubrey are co-conspirators.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I like the way you make it sound like the AAC is better than the Big East. I guess that Massey disagrees with you. Currently 3 teams from the Big East get into the dance while only 2 from the AAC.

Big EastRate
Uconn3
Marquette39
DePaul40
Villanova56
Seton Hall66
Creighton82
St John's110
Providence133
Xavier162
Georgetown187
Butler227

AACRate
USF22
UCF55
Houston69
Tulane71
Temple112
Tulsa129
ECU142
Memphis147
Wichita St158
Cincinnati166
SMU229
One of those 3 from the BE is UConn, so that is a wash. USF is ranked higher than any BE team not named UConn. I am talking also across the athletic department.

Reaction Score
Marquette plays like Notre Dame, and just like their coach, Duffy, who was a real tough one when she was point guard there. The Notre Dame culture. Hats off to them.
I know it's sacrilegious to make allegations against the heirs to the legacy of the golden domers, especially the women, but their play is not tough, it's something more. Passive aggressive? Borderline dirty? We'll be able to better judge after the next game with them. Reminds me of the tactics of Georgetown's men's team in the 80's when Big John was coach. Just little things that become obviously intentional when you see them over and again.

The most obvious was Taylor using a chest bump on multiple occasions on defense as well as the obvious shoulder to the jaw of Aaliyah when she took her out of the game.
Watch that replay and you can see, even without slo-mo, that she intended to hit Aaliyah hard on her drive, and high with the shoulder. I'd like to believe the damage to AE's teeth or lips wasn't intentional but that hit was not accidental.

It wasn't just that play either. Watch the three minute highlight video of Bueckers and you'll see Taylor chest bump her as she went up for the layup in the third quarter. Paige was defenseless and was knocked to the floor hard but no call was made. Taylor looks as if she's been taught to keep her hands to herself but use her chest to knock opponents off stride when they make their moves to the basket.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Just looked at the stats: NM has 8 pts., 9 assist, 7 rebounds and 5 steals.

She got fouled on a drive which means 2 additional FTs if they called it. IIRC, it was AE who missed on 2 assists by NM. So she could have had a double double easily. She actually was pretty darn close to a triple double. Funny to say when she didn't even have a double at all. She also is tough, dives at lose balls, is a complete nuisance to the other team. Only 2 TO and 2 Fouls.

By they way, she is in her 11th game or so.....

Kid has game....an ALL AROUND GAME.

Now if she can only make a layup.... :):):)
She was also fouled on the play when she wad called for the kick. Old ND tricks Marquette did alot last night the hip check and taking out shooters legs

Reaction Score
I was incensed by that move! It was deliberate and nasty. at least a technical. I am surprised more haven’t commented.
I've been holding back on that personally. I'm sure my bias is evident with respect to AE.

I thought is was a combination of the head and shoulder from my view. No idea why a technical wasn't called.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Also I think the BE has some already very good coaches as well as some young up and coming coaches. Marquette and Villanova come to mind on the latter. I think Mozella (?) from Seton Hall is also quite good.

The bottom of the BE is pretty dreadful. Not sure if it's because of injuries this year or what is ailing the really bad teams, but I hope that the middle and bottom half of the league starts to pick itself up. We will see over the next 3-4 years if they can start recruiting better and be more competitive.

I'd like to see the BE get 4 teams in this year. I think Marquette has a great shot, and Seton Hall is close. Not playing a big OOC schedule makes it hard for those those teams to get quality wins without beating each other up. Neither Hall nor Marquette likely will beat UCONN or Depaul so they won't have a "signature" win. SHU faces Marquette once more. The winner of that game may determine which team makes the tourney...

Hall already beat Marquette once. I would say UCONN, DePaul, SHU and Marquette in that order. But we will see when they play.

As for what happens to Anna when she comes back, I would not be surprised to see her shut down for the rest of the season. With the leg brace, she's doing 0 for fitness and staying in shape. I have a feeling her lackluster play was due to the injury. So we will likely have to deal with who starts and who plays next year when we are more at full strength. I'd love to see her come back, but I'm not hopeful... We will see!
Up and coming? SHs coach has been there awhile. Marquette had an up and coming young coach, an alum, that left the Big East to go to a crummy Big 10 program.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
One of those 3 from the BE is UConn, so that is a wash. USF is ranked higher than any BE team not named UConn. I am talking also across the athletic department.
No you were talking about basketball, and right now UCF would be lucky to beat any of the top 5 teams in the Big East, heck they lost to Temple. If UConn was in the AAC, both USF and UCF would have lower ratings because of their losses to UConn, just like DePaul and the others.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Also I think the BE has some already very good coaches as well as some young up and coming coaches. Marquette and Villanova come to mind on the latter. I think Mozella (?) from Seton Hall is also quite good.

The bottom of the BE is pretty dreadful. Not sure if it's because of injuries this year or what is ailing the really bad teams, but I hope that the middle and bottom half of the league starts to pick itself up. We will see over the next 3-4 years if they can start recruiting better and be more competitive.

I'd like to see the BE get 4 teams in this year. I think Marquette has a great shot, and Seton Hall is close. Not playing a big OOC schedule makes it hard for those those teams to get quality wins without beating each other up. Neither Hall nor Marquette likely will beat UCONN or Depaul so they won't have a "signature" win. SHU faces Marquette once more. The winner of that game may determine which team makes the tourney...

Hall already beat Marquette once. I would say UCONN, DePaul, SHU and Marquette in that order. But we will see when they play.

As for what happens to Anna when she comes back, I would not be surprised to see her shut down for the rest of the season. With the leg brace, she's doing 0 for fitness and staying in shape. I have a feeling her lackluster play was due to the injury. So we will likely have to deal with who starts and who plays next year when we are more at full strength. I'd love to see her come back, but I'm not hopeful... We will see

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what is exactly wrong with Annas leg?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Hold on
Up and coming? SHs coach has been there awhile. Marquette had an up and coming young coach, an alum, that left the Big East to go to a crummy Big 10 program.
Let's do some clarification for both you and @EricLA as your views are sort of on track and sort of off it;
Tony Bozzella is Seton Hall's coach, who while not spectacular is solid and he's in his 8th season, and I would say his trend is looking up with this current team.
The Penn State program was a very strong program historically under longtime coach Rene Portland who was justifiably let go. That said Coquese Washington had some initial success at PSU before cratering her last 5 years. Carolyn Kieger left Marquette due to significant pay and better facilities in a higher profile league. All justifiable and hopefully a learning lesson for both Marquette and the Big East.

The simple fact is the BE Women's Basketball plan needs to mirror the men's-pay your coaches so they stay and develop the programs to be powers across the landscape. Think about Villanova, Seton Hall, Marquette, now the UConn men and hope the Women's programs focus similar tactic to improve WCBB.

I would say in the very least, we are significantly ahead of where we were the last 6 years. I like the horizon for DePaul, Marquette, Villanova, Seton Hall and even St. John's over the likes of Houston, Tulane and Temple. Only USF is an opponent loss for us. While UCF has improved since Coach Abe arrived, she has not delivered as much as the Joanna Bernabei-McNamee has at Boston College (Joanna succeeded Abe at Albany), and as "chippy" as some thought Marquette was last night...[ ]

I will take the Big East every day over AAC and twice on Sunday...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
The 3 freshmen of Paige, Edwards, and Nika have changed everything.

The emergence of Nika has opened this team up to many more possibilities.

For example-- it is much, much harder now to play UCONN in a zone. Nika is hitting 10-23 - 43.5% in her last 5 games. Now UCONN has one off-the-charts 3pt shooter, and between Nika and Evina overall they are pretty good 3pt shooters which even if one is off, UCONN is still at least good enough from 3. Frankly, imo now between supreme ball movement, the ability of Evina, Nika and CWill to slash (whether 2 are in all 3) that's gonna get Paige open. Thus a standard zone is going to have to hope Paige is off.

Edwards has been terrific. From the get-go she changes the temperament for UCONN. I am so excited to see how she can play against Boston. Not one-on-one (though that would be cool too) but just overall. For example, Boston is an amazing shot blocker. Can Edwards finish well enough in the paint with Boston lurking?
Also in certain situations can Edwards affect what Boston does with ease vs most teams inside?

As far as the standard thought process vs most of the top teams is that UCONN goes big. I am excited to see that. However, for a short time in the game I'd love to see the small lineup. Paige is shooting 59.6% from 3. That's equivalent to 89.4% from 2. When UCONN is setting picks and double picks -- how is it that if a team is playing big with 2 big players, are they going to get out on Paige, considering all the movement?

All I'm saying is what Nika is doing now just opens up so much. These 3 freshmen have changed UCONN. Excited to see if they can match up with a strong elite caliber team now that the confidence is high.
The challenge now is if AE and NM can do it against top level teams. They may or may not be ready to do so just yet, but we will find out in 2 days. Either way, they both seem to grow and learn quickly so this experience will be huge for them. I hope GA gives them both plenty of minutes since at minimum, it will help them and the team down the road. AE should play plenty but does he trust NM against SC guards??

Reaction Score
The challenge now is if AE and NM can do it against top level teams. They may or may not be ready to do so just yet, but we will find out in 2 days. Either way, they both seem to grow and learn quickly so this experience will be huge for them. I hope GA gives them both plenty of minutes since at minimum, it will help them and the team down the road. AE should play plenty but does he trust NM against SC guards??

I love the potential contrast with NM and the quick SC guards! While two particular SC guards are uber-quick I expect they will try to crash the lane inside with dribble penetration and as long as they get Liv to provide help defense it opens up Boston for offensive rebounds if they miss.

On the flip side, their 2 very-quick guards are small. Small guards means easier for Paige to shoot over. Thus once Paige is given a pick and with any space- if their small guards are switched off on her - they could only waive hello to Paige- and that's about it.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I agree about the foul on AE. It was intentional with intent to hurt. Disappointed that it was not called a flagrant foul. That could have been a career ending play.
So you think she knew Edwards was going to take a charge? She started her drive before Edwards moved into her path.

Reaction Score
Can't wait for the rematch in Storrs. AE may have some extra incentive to be a bit physical with a particular player and I bet her teammates will be there to back her up.

Reaction Score
I love the potential contrast with NM and the quick SC guards! While two particular SC guards are uber-quick I expect they will try to crash the lane inside with dribble penetration and as long as they get Liv to provide help defense it opens up Boston for offensive rebounds if they miss.

On the flip side, their 2 very-quick guards are small. Small guards means easier for Paige to shoot over. Thus once Paige is given a pick and with any space- if their small guards are switched off on her - they could only waive hello to Paige- and that's about it.
We do have an advantage on offense against many top level teams but unfortunately, we don't match up defensively as well against many top level teams either. This is really across the board:

1. I still don't trust CW to guard any top level guard
2. I am not sure if EW can guard top level wings
3. I'm not sure if NM can guard top level guards...much like any freshman.
4. If the above is true or at least partly true, we will have at minimum, some issues keeping penetration to a minimum.
5. If that is true, then Liv will probably have foul trouble helping out.
6. We may lose the offensive rebounds too when Liv is out of position.
7. This may snowball further with quick passes on the penetration leading to easy layups and 'and ones' as well as kick outs to open shooters.

It all starts with how good our perimeter defense is. If it is not good, it leads to easy buckets, open threes, foul trouble and giving up offensive rebounds.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can't wait for the rematch in Storrs. AE may have some extra incentive to be a bit physical with a particular player and I bet her teammates will be there to back her up.

I doubt it as that hasn't been her style. She'll be focused on the team winning versus any "payback". Her genuine motivation to play at the level UConn expects is all the incentive she needs.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Hold on

Let's do some clarification for both you and @EricLA as your views are sort of on track and sort of off it;
Tony Bozzella is Seton Hall's coach, who while not spectacular is solid and he's in his 8th season, and I would say his trend is looking up with this current team.
The Penn State program was a very strong program historically under longtime coach Rene Portland who was justifiably let go. That said Coquese Washington had some initial success at PSU before cratering her last 5 years. Carolyn Kieger left Marquette due to significant pay and better facilities in a higher profile league. All justifiable and hopefully a learning lesson for both Marquette and the Big East.

The simple fact is the BE Women's Basketball plan needs to mirror the men's-pay your coaches so they stay and develop the programs to be powers across the landscape. Think about Villanova, Seton Hall, Marquette, now the UConn men and hope the Women's programs focus similar tactic to improve WCBB.

I would say in the very least, we are significantly ahead of where we were the last 6 years. I like the horizon for DePaul, Marquette, Villanova, Seton Hall and even St. John's over the likes of Houston, Tulane and Temple. Only USF is an opponent loss for us. While UCF has improved since Coach Abe arrived, she has not delivered as much as the Joanna Bernabei-McNamee has at Boston College (Joanna succeeded Abe at Albany), and as "chippy" as some thought Marquette was last night...[ ]

I will take the Big East every day over AAC and twice on Sunday...
If all those things. The Big East with the exception of UConn are small private schools, with mostly, where the women play, small venues. The upcoming schools in the AAC are newer schools mostly, with also solid programs in other sports and in areas of the nation people and businesses are moving to, the Big East people are fleeing those cities and states. And as a Connecticut taxpayer if we had been given the choice of not having to pay a $17million dollar penalty to leave the AAC and make the most expensive program at UConn football forever irrelevant, I would have voted no.

Reaction Score
We do have an advantage on offense against many top level teams but unfortunately, we don't match up as well against many top level teams either. This is really across the board:

1. I still don't trust CW to guard any top level guard
2. I am not sure if EW can guard top level wings
3. I'm not sure if NM can guard top level guards...much like any freshman.
4. If the above is true or at least partly true, we will have at minimum, some issues keeping penetration to a minimum.
5. If that is true, then Liv will probably have foul trouble helping out.
6. We may lose the offensive rebounds too when Liv is out of position.
7. This may snowball further with quick passes on the penetration leading to easy layups and 'and ones' as well as kick outs to open shooters.

It all starts with how good our perimeter defense is. If it is not good, it leads to easy buckets, open threes, foul trouble and offensive rebounds.

There's always a zone. or a junk defense or a sagging man-to-man designed to either limit a great player or 2 and/or limit penetration. :)

And on the flip side, one player in basketball can influence a game in a major way. I'm not sure any one player can guard Paige Bueckers. The best defense might be "hope she misses."

It all starts with Paige's effectiveness. If she is drilling 3's, it leads to easy buckets, and limiting the opposing team's ability to fastbreak.

Reaction Score
There's always a zone. or a junk defense or a sagging man-to-man designed to either limit a great player or 2 and/or limit penetration. :)

And on the flip side, one player in basketball can influence a game in a major way. I'm not sure any one player can guard Paige Bueckers. The best defense might be "hope she misses."

It all starts with Paige's effectiveness. If she is drilling 3's, it leads to easy buckets, and limiting the opposing team's ability to fastbreak.
I hear what you say hoop and I agree to a large extent but we still to play at minimum, adequate perimeter defense. It is hard to play zone if the other team can pass the ball well.

It is very helpful that we will have the best player on the floor: the best scorer and the best passer. Usually you win or at least have a great chance at winning when you have both of those advantages and we will have them in every game we play.

Reaction Score
I hear what you say hoop and I agree to a large extent but we still to play at minimum, adequate perimeter defense. It is hard to play zone if the other team can pass the ball well.

It is very helpful that we will have the best player on the floor: the best scorer and the best passer. Usually you win or at least have a great chance at winning when you have both of those advantages and we will have them in every game we play.

I hear what you are saying regarding perimeter defense. But it also comes down to an ability to make shots too. This was a huge problem for UCONN, right? We were a good passing team but we needed -- and who knows may still need- someone like Saylor for the future?

It's not just UCONN that can struggle to shoot regardless how well they pass.

Reaction Score
The fun part about this is she's going to be so much better NEXT YEAR after she has a full season under her belt, and her BFF (Azzi) gets here and joins the fun.
Nice thing is, she may get stronger and more effective, but we don't need her to be. She is likely one of the of the top 5 players in the US today.

Reaction Score
Edwards is light years ahead of ONO. She scored 11 points in 16 minutes, compared with the 8 points in 35 minutes for ONO. And while ONO tries to shoot largely from outside, Edwards goes right into the fray under the bucket. ONO's assists are not actually positives, but in fact belie the fact that she won't play underneath, and just stands at the free throw line and dishes off. Coach Geno made clear that Muhl and Edwards are tough and aggressive, and "play UConn basketball." Time to start Edwards.
It’s amazing to me how many people on this board seem to think that one game’s stats are enough to make judgements about whether one player is better than another. That is how gamblers go broke. My question for those people is this; if those numbers are exactly reversed next game and ONO scores 11 in 16 minutes while AE scores 8 in 35, are you then going to claim that ONO is light years ahead of AE? Also, how can an assist not be a positive just because it comes from a particular spot on the floor? When Stef Dolson stood at the top of the key and dropped all those dimes, were those assists “not actually positives” either? Not trying to be snarky, just don’t understand how an assist can ever be anything but a positive.

Reaction Score
not making judgments.........just stating facts.......
Here’s another fact, Anna was coming from another country into a completely unknown situation, while Saylor already knows many of the other players and is not in a strange country.

Reaction Score
Here’s another fact, Anna was coming from another country into a completely unknown situation, while Saylor already knows many of the other players and is not in a strange country.
here's another fact.......I've been one of AM's biggest defenders on this site..........the fact that anybody whose spent time here took my comments as a slight is laughable...........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom