Marquette Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Marquette Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I will be extatic when. . .
1. When she hasn't a lane for a lay-up, pass the ball.
2. Cut until one of the other 4 players passes her the ball for a lay-up or jump shot.
3. Defend & rebound.

I thought that tonight she had an excellent game. Would have been perfect if she hasn't shot the 3s. Might have had 4 more points if she had taken two steps inside the line and took a shot within her range. ;)
CW is a very strong rebounder who is not afraid to mix it up down low.

Reaction Score
Geno was prepping for So Carolina and it seems he found a lineup in which he’s got confidence.

The Gamecocks have seen Liv but they haven’t met Aaliyah Edwards yet. ?
Last year Liv had 10 points (to Aliyah Boston's 13), but Christyn was 2 of 12 in that South Carolina game. It seems that Christyn's penetrating drives today was a reorienting of her playing style, orchestrated by Geno, & it was successful. I love the tandem feeling I'm getting from Nika & Paige, Liya & Liv, & the 2 hand grenades, Mir & Aubrey. If this team of "4 freshmen & a high school kid" turns out to be one of Geno's greatest, it will only be that until next year. What a back court of Nika, Paige, & Azzi will be.... Today, in listening to the game, I felt the tune up progressing exceedingly well.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Marquette game:
  • The Golden Eagles are a physical, well-coached team that plays really hard. This was a nice road win for the Huskies.
  • Nika is one BADASS defender with an attitude. She harassed Marquette all game long.
  • Paige with a “ho-hum” 30 pts on 12/18 shooting. When she made that reverse layup switching the ball from her left hand to her right hand in mid-air, the entire Marquette bench did a doubletake in amazement.
  • Christyn continues to attack the basket effectively, which raises her game to another level.
  • Aaliyah picks up her first of what will undoubtedly be multiple purple hearts at UConn.
  • UConn has now fielded 6 different starting lineups in, I believe 14 games. This is a rarity for a Geno Auriemma coached team. In part it is the result of some injuries, but it also reflects the depth this team possesses.
  • Saylor knocks down the first of what will hopefully be many treys.
  • Bring on the Gamecocks!!!
Excellent post (observations) as usual OD. :)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I really like Nika as the point guard and Paige at shooting guard. With Evina also able to handle the pg duties, Paige can roam around until she decides where she wants to make her next shot from. I was thinking it would take a year for the freshmen to settle in but, wow, this team could be scary good by tournament time this year.
This is what I've been expecting, but it's come a little earlier than I would have expected a few weeks ago. Paige wasn't even a pure point guard in high school. They had another guard who shared PG duties with Paige and most often brought the ball up the court. Paige is a natural scorer, while Nika just scores to keep the defense honest.

I said it after the last game, I love the combination of E, Paige, and Nika. And Olivia is really passing the ball well lately, too. I think we may see a lot of her in the high post and Aaliyah in the low post.

If this team improves as much in the next five games as they have in the last five, they can make a very deep run in the postseason.

I loved a couple of Geno's remarks in the postgame interview with Meg. "When Nika sets a screen to get someone free, she acts like she just sank a game-winning three pointer." "Aalihah's Canadian. I'm sure she's spent some time on the ice."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Nika has basically picked up Anna's minutes. So, when Anna is ready to come back, what then?
Easy. It gives Geno flexibility and gives the starters more rest. You've got a lot of players averaging over 30 minutes a game over the last several games, so with an extra wing, everyone can get to 25-30 and be rested for the show.

Reaction Score
It seems that Liya & Liv are better together in their new rendition of good cop, bad cop. Liv is smooth & sophisticated, Liya is brute force, in process of fine-tuning, eliminating the dumb fouls.

Reaction Score
Is the replay up yet? Can’t sleep and looking for something to watch lol!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Hopefully Nika is teaching some people that you can’t judge a freshman off a few games after an injury and limited practice. A Rizzotti type warrior. A definite plus.

Paige is ridiculous
We don’t have to concer ourselves with Nika anymore. She had to adjust to living in a new country, playing with new teammates in a new and more challenging system, and playing by different rules.

She’s made all of those adjustments. The more she plays, the faster her confidence will grow. She now knows without a doubt that she can play at this “elite” level, and prosper.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Directly after the St John's game I noted that UConn's offense benefitted from the best player and ball movement of the season, and that it occurred without Christyn on the floor. Well, CW was on the floor tonight, and again the offense featured very quick ball movement and many well-timed cuts through the defense. And many of you noted that she had, tonight, spent little time lingering on the perimeter or wasting her dribble going nowhere. We can all hope that she is finding the real strength of her game with decisive penetration for layups and short jumpers. She's just got to be happy with that kind of success and the sense that she is contributing real offensive value to her team. Well done, Christyn!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Tell you what though. AE is probably going to be playing with a mouth guard for the rest of the season and maybe for the duration of her career.
Damn JordyG, I was thinking the same exact thing. It’s that kind of injury that make players wear mouth guards.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Don't forget we could be stuck in the AAC. There are a few good teams in the BE and others will improve, just like the first time they hung around with the Huskies.
The best team in the AAC is better than DePaul, next UCF would play UConn closer than Marquette, always does. With the exception of UConn Big least a conference of small private schools, small on campus venues. AAC mostly large public universities with newer facilities.

Reaction Score
Ofc some might be taking some of "those people's" comments out of context when "some of those other people" said they were "skeptical." But ofc I guess "skeptical" means she could definitely NOT play any defense.? OFC only super quick players can play good defense too, right? Way to go.

Way to go-- the team has been playing super and you want to go back to posts from early in the season on a night when they were tremendous.

You also want to bring up there were those suggesting Paige shouldn't start too? And who else do you want to go back on?

C'mon.
Why did they offer Geno a contract, LMAO!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
She will have to earn some minutes back. She wasn’t exactly doing an awful lot with the minute she was getting before she was injured so no guarantee she gets them back. Nika has earned it.
Well she was dealing with the injury all or most of the season according to coach, but was not improving so they decided to shut her down.

Reaction Score
Someone on Twitter said that Saylor's release is as quick as KML and Lou. Lou might be a better 3-pt shooter but Saylor has a much quicker release. There is no gathering of the ball before the shot.
ESPN compared Mayas release to a rattlesnake strike! It was that quick!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom