Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So Hurley knows how to coach now? And the amateur athletes know how to play now? And the ebbs and flows of a CBB season happen now? Asking for a friend

I came here to call this out as well.

I really liked this move by Hurley. Gave Cole a breather and trusted AJ and Tyrese to run the ship and it worked.

If Gaffney is able to give more than 4 min, great, but this is a good alternative that should be deployed going forward.

Cole still had to play 34 minutes, which is a lot.

I feel for Gaff, I have no idea what that was out there tonight. Probably entirely mental at this point. Hopefully he figures it out because he is a fun player when he is playing his game.
I like Gaff as well. However he has been given ample opportunity to show his worth and it has not panned out. Time to give Sool those 5 to 10 minutes. I believe he is chomping at the bits to get his chance.

Reaction Score
The coaches game plan was perfect. Crash the offensive boards, timely time outs and needed bench rotations to keep our players fresh. While our scoring was concentrated, we also got important contributions across the board. I loved the knowing smiles by the players! We can be a force. We will soon be trading places with Marquette and others above us in the National rankings.

Uconn teams, playing in Hartford, are great for the city and provide easy access for fans. Nice to see so many students supporting them downtown and an early game time allows for city or area activities after.
Very well said, I don't understand many posters on here are extremely vocal on how terrible the XL is. It's only terrible when we do not fill/sell out the arena. When we get a great crowd there the atmosphere is bar none one of the best in the country. As for the other benefits of playing there you hit it on the nail.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Saw this quote from Martin "Going forward, we don't plan on losing anymore as long as we play the way we did today." I think he read my Haiku from yesterday. Inspired by Santana.

Reaction Score
I thought we played great defense on Lewis most of the night and had Morsell out of rhythm. The guy who impressed me the most from Marquette was Prosper. 7-8 for 18 points. Tripled his season average. I could see him being a handful consistently in a year or two.
Elliot was impressive, timely shooting and led some of Marquette's rallies. Shaka is stirring a great brew, he is a credit to the Big East and will surely grow the entire brand.

Reaction Score
I came here to call this out as well.

I really liked this move by Hurley. Gave Cole a breather and trusted AJ and Tyrese to run the ship and it worked.

If Gaffney is able to give more than 4 min, great, but this is a good alternative that should be deployed going forward.

Cole still had to play 34 minutes, which is a lot.

I feel for Gaff, I have no idea what that was out there tonight. Probably entirely mental at this point. Hopefully he figures it out because he is a fun player when he is playing his game.
Gaff can be effective if he doesn't pick-up his dribble or fails to penetrate early in the offensive set. It's good to run the offensive but he needs to be the offensive early and finish. Coach could set up a pick and drive for him or he could just take it to the hoop early in his shift. His confidence will then grow. He will then allow the breathers needed for Cole. Six to eight points a game from his bat would be similar to what Hawkins is now providing.

Reaction Score
Most complete team win since Auburn.. Could have folded multiple times tonight but hung together--Shared the ball- Great on the Boards. Beat a very good team. Thought DH and staff did a great job of punching/counter-punching with Shaka.

Lets bring it again vs Xavier.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We have 5 games in 12 days coming up, 6 in 15 if you include last night. Hurley has to find a way to steal minutes for Cole and Sanogo and the others or there is a high probability that the team will start to wear out. Fatigue is cumulative, and tired players are much more likely to get hurt (Paige Bueckers says "hello"). It would also make sense to have light practices during this stretch, at least for the starters.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Biggest factor was we knocked down open looks.

I know they were monsters on the boards and did a lot of stuff well, but those good looks from 3 going down tonight instead of lately they did not, THAT stopped runs and got the W.

Confident shooters makes this team VERY dangerous.
That’s the difference in a nutshell. We make some open outside shots it changes everything , loosens up the paint. Polley and Hawkins making 2 each and Cole 1 in that short period mid 1st half set us up for success. Everything feeds off that and our success is predicated on it. I thought Hurley did a better job with floor balance rotations last night. I have more thoughts on that, but it’s important.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
I get the feeling Diggins deficiency is on the defensive end, which says a lot since Gaffney is no shut down defender.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Most complete team win since Auburn.. Could have folded multiple times tonight but hung together--Shared the ball- Great on the Boards. Beat a very good team. Thought DH and staff did a great job of punching/counter-punching with Shaka.

Played a well coach team which was fully healthy, in a groove and had some good scalps already on their resume.

Best win of season so far for UConn. As others said we were fortunate to get Auburn when we did. No ands, ifs or buts on this game.

Reaction Score
Great game. it feels good to be another team’s SMU / Creighton for a change. Also astonished by how good they’ve been considering their offensive rebounding is nonexistent…

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My two cents.....Diggins must be horrible if he cant beat out Gaffney

Speaking of Diggins.....

Who else saw the UConn admin at scorer's table near UConn bench go full Boeheim with a double nostril dig? It was towards end of game during one of the official reviews and the camera scanned along the scorer's table. Left nostril first and then a follow on dig to the right side. Not subtle either. Wasn't sure, but looked a bit like Phil Chardis.

Reaction Score

I do not profess to know much about Marquette’s coach Mr. Sraka but he did not appear to have out coached our Mr. Hurley. Key to UConn’s win IMO was that UConn played as a team ( as you said). We do not have a Hamilton, a Smith or basically a shooter to sustain us and provide that dagger so playing as a team is our only way to succeed. No UConn is not a final four team this year but I see us getting to the sweet sixteen.

Reaction Score
Played a well coach team which was fully healthy, in a groove and had some good scalps already on their resume.

Best win of season so far for UConn. As others said we were fortunate to get Auburn when we did. No ands, ifs or buts on this game.
Ok we did not destroy them or shut them down but we played we played pretty well and fought for this victory.

Reaction Score
Watching the highlights makes one wonder about the defensive plan against Sanogo. Several times after he received a pass in the post four defenders all within 5-7 feet simply watched him being defended 1 on 1 rather than double or triple teaming. Considering that passing out of the post is a skill Sanogo that is still developing, the lack of consistent 2-3 man defense on him is puzzling.

Reaction Score
I do not profess to know much about Marquette’s coach Mr. Sraka but he did not appear to have out coached our Mr. Hurley. Key to UConn’s win IMO was that UConn played as a team ( as you said). We do not have a Hamilton, a Smith or basically a shooter to sustain us and provide that dagger so playing as a team is our only way to succeed. No UConn is not a final four team this year but I see us getting to the sweet sixteen.
Not sure if it’s realistic but I think a 5-seed would be the sweet spot, with a favorable 5/12 and 5/4 in the first two rounds followed by a date with Gonzaga, Auburn, or (dare I say?) Duke in the Sweet 16. I’d sign up for that.

Reaction Score
Not sure if it’s realistic but I think a 5-seed would be the sweet spot, with a favorable 5/12 and 5/4 in the first two rounds followed by a date with Gonzaga, Auburn, or (dare I say?) Duke in the Sweet 16. I’d sign up for that.
Good objective sign my name to that drive while you are at it.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Diggins.....

Who else saw the UConn admin at scorer's table near UConn bench go full Boeheim with a double nostril dig? It was towards end of game during one of the official reviews and the camera scanned along the scorer's table. Left nostril first and then a follow on dig to the right side. Not subtle either. Wasn't sure, but looked a bit like Phil Chardis.
It was Phil and it was just so egregious. Didn’t try to hide it and he made a full commitment to go deep.

Reaction Score
My guess just from what we’ve seen of Diggins, he doesn’t play bc he is physically built like a high school junior. Regardless of how talented he is, he can’t drive at all on offense and gets pushed around like a rag doll on defense. The last time he played I remember the defender stuck his hand in while he was driving and the ball popped out like he had just been leveled.

Needs a full calendar year (at least) in a weight and nutrition program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom