Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My guess just from what we’ve seen of Diggins, he doesn’t play bc he is physically built like a high school junior. Regardless of how talented he is, he can’t drive at all on offense and gets pushed around like a rag doll on defense. The last time he played I remember the defender stuck his hand in while he was driving and the ball popped out like he had just been leveled.

Needs a full calendar year (at least) in a weight and nutrition program.
So why not just redshirt him?

Reaction Score
Don't count on it. We have players that are up and down.
Agreed, but as long as Hawkins is out there strutting his stuff even after missed shots Hurley will now keep him in the rotation. It's a confidence thing that Hurley wants out of Hawkins.

Reaction Score
I get the feeling Diggins deficiency is on the defensive end, which says a lot since Gaffney is no shut down defender.
Correct- Hurley has mentioned it at least once in the past month.

Reaction Score
Congrats on the win yesterday. Obviously I would have preferred a different outcome, but I think this does a lot mentally for the Huskies and the team knew it and wanted it. The final sequence at the end of the game proved that to me. Sanogo was a big difference maker in this one, but overall whether it was MU just being off their game or UConn causing it, they kept MU from their team style of play and limited ball movement. Plus Hawkins timely plays had a big effect. It was a fight to the end though, which is great to see for both teams. Congrats again, hope we get revenge in the BET!

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Solid all around performance from the team. We sweep Marquette. Marquette sweeps Nova. If that Nova game was not already circled it should be.
OK BY coaches, what does Marquette do against Nova that we don't do? I know we have a bunch of big games before we play Nova again but that is THE game I want us to win.

Reaction Score
My two cents.....Diggins must be horrible if he cant beat out Gaffney
Diggins is not horrible! As many here are indicating. Give the kid a break please, he is just not ready yet. As for Gaff we will need him in the stretch, he frustrates me to no end also and should be further along I would think at this point, but he does add value. We just love to knock on young kids on here and they are just kids don't forget.

Reaction Score
OK BY coaches, what does Marquette do against Nova that we don't do? I know we have a bunch of big games before we play Nova again but that is THE game I want us to win.
They didn't have their bigs get in early foul trouble, shot well and controlled the ball with fewer turnovers. It's simple when it works!

Reaction Score
Shaka has a scheme of switching 1-5 with mobile bigs and this works well against a lot of teams, especially those without a big strong 5. So Kur and Oso for Marquette can play and help on the perimeter but get back in position or block shots on a lot of centers. That takes a lot of high energy D and a very cohesive group, which he's been able to foster this year, but only works if you have a 5 that can recover quickly so I don't know that UConn can replicate that style this year.

(That's actually also why MU struggles against teams like UConn with a big strong center that dominates on the glass... those mobile bigs are often out of position and don't get the position they need against the dominating types. The disparity between rebounding is substantial at that point and the biggest weakness of his teams)

Reaction Score
This team just has a jekyl and Hyde way about them. We just have to hope that they can find a way to play with this much focus and intensity much more consistently. Maybe it is just a product of when our shots are falling we as fans feel differently about the way we are playing but it feels like more than that. Great win!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Nova got two fouls on both Sanogo and Whaley in the first few minutes.

And a large part of that was bad perimeter defense by UConn's guards and wings allowing Nova to get great angles and looks down to Daniels.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hurly postgame audio with an understated F-bomb at around 7:25. I would like to see Hurley do more to extend our proud tradition of postgame profanity.

Very odd hearing Hurley saying they like to get Sanogo working up a sweat and getting in to flow of the game before they try to get him the ball. Seems like UConn spends first 3 or 4 possessions doing nothing but dumping ball in to him.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The first half was classic UConn basketball. 40 minutes of that will beat almost anyone. A joy to watch. The 2nd half was closer to what we've been seeing all year but they held off MU rather comfortably even if they did get closer than they probably should have.

A real template game that Hurley can point to in setting expectations.

The only reservation I have is that Marquette seems to be a tailor made opponent for us. Light on offense and have no answer for Sanogo or Martin.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One stat really jumped off the page at me when I looked at the team statistics:
04E04815-49D4-4A62-BCD0-4BFA182ECEC8.jpeg

14 turnovers and we still win by eight? That’s crazy. You have to think that if we can just get the team to value the ball a little bit more, we are incredibly dangerous come March

JCSuperstar

Garbage Time All Star
Reaction Score
He's bad, sorry if he's your friend or whatever.
OK, you go ahead and look forward to the next game broadcast with the lead dogs/sled dogs guy, the girl who can't remember which team Akok plays for, or the ESPN team that talks about salad dressing. When it comes to B-team announcers, I'll stick with Donny even if he forgets to fellate the university.

Reaction Score
View attachment 73130
14 turnovers and we still win by eight? That’s crazy. You have to think that if we can just get the team to value the ball a little bit more, we are incredibly dangerous come March
Because we almost doubled them up on the glass and outshot them across the board. Pretty simple, actually.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I get the feeling Diggins deficiency is on the defensive end, which says a lot since Gaffney is no shut down defender.

Nailed it. If he was better than Gaff on D in practice, he'd be playing. DH isn't looking for points from the backup PG. He plays Gaff with other scorers.

Reaction Score
So why not just redshirt him?
Good question for a reporter to ask Hurley at a post-game presser.

It may have already been asked and Hurley may said that Diggins needs to keep working on his game which does not directly answer the question.

IDK, but maybe Hurley is not is not redshirting him in case Cole or Gaffney can't play and then he would play him?

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
View attachment 73130

Yes that is a very good point. Turnovers, especially when unforced have been a problem in my view of things. We can't have AJ throwing away the ball on high risk passes, and can't have JG doing the same when running out of options on the break. This has been a theme thru the season, and it really hurts especially when shooting is off vs good teams. Many of these are just self inflicted but could be a product of going too fast at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom