Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yea we are. Most teams have to double Lewis and Morsell we have the athletes and the size to play them straight up. They also can’t defend bigs and we have sanogo
100% true, but even worse for them is they give up a ton of offensive rebounds and we are the best offensive rebounding team in the league. Marquette for the season is 353rd (!!!) in the country in Offensive Rebounds allowed per game. We are 7th in the country in Offensive Rebounds per game. Nightmare for them. Almost doubled them up on the glass tonight.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure there was a point tonight where both gaffney and Cole were on the bench for the first time all season. Gaffney came in to give RJ a rest and immediately turned it over and Jackson played point guard for the next few possessions. He sadly literally became unplayable.
That's correct (outside random Diggins minutes vs. LIU).

Reaction Score
Pretty sure there was a point tonight where both gaffney and Cole were on the bench for the first time all season. Gaffney came in to give RJ a rest and immediately turned it over and Jackson played point guard for the next few possessions. He sadly literally became unplayable.
I came here to call this out as well.

I really liked this move by Hurley. Gave Cole a breather and trusted AJ and Tyrese to run the ship and it worked.

If Gaffney is able to give more than 4 min, great, but this is a good alternative that should be deployed going forward.

Cole still had to play 34 minutes, which is a lot.

I feel for Gaff, I have no idea what that was out there tonight. Probably entirely mental at this point. Hopefully he figures it out because he is a fun player when he is playing his game.

Reaction Score
I'm sure the Hurley haters will find something to criticize.
Got to give props. His best job yet IMO. Under control, had the team run, and when they started stalling took good TOs and put in some schemes to keep the ball and players rotating, and crashed the boards and stuck with it at the end. Got burned once but that paid off big time. So, let’s hope he keeps reflecting and learning. Night and day versus Nova where he was out foxed out of the gate, and Wright was 2 steps ahead of him all day.

Reaction Score
Not much to complain about with this one, had an answer for everything Marquette threw at us. Timeouts, the subs, the energy were all great. Let's do it again Thursday

Would be nice to have a backup PG, hopefully the few minutes of PG Andre convinced Danny to run it out there for 5-10 minutes a game

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
I refuse to believe that Lewis kid is a freshman. He is built/looks like a 35 year old. What was he ranked coming out of high school?

credit to Whaley for toughing it out - he looked really limited in the first half

Reaction Score
I refuse to believe that Lewis kid is a freshman. He is built/looks like a 35 year old. What was he ranked coming out of high school?

credit to Whaley for toughing it out - he looked really limited in the first half
He's a sophomore, played against us last year too. Was a backend of the top 100 4* recruit out of HS. UConn was one of the other finalists for him before he chose Marquette

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
He's a sophomore, played against us last year too. Was a backend of the top 100 4* recruit out of HS. UConn was one of the other finalists for him before he chose Marquette
Makes more sense
no freshman should be 6’7”, 245 and play like that
btw, when Sanogo was guarding him they looked to be similar heights. I’m assuming it is Sanogo being closer to 6’7” than the other way around

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Great win, and I was really happy to see Hawkins have good minutes - pretty sure he had 2 blocks and his D overall just looked way better. Was a bit surprised he didn't get more time in the 2nd half (or Polley since he was hitting) but we won so no complaint.

As pointed out earlier it looked like DH "played" better too today which is good to see.

Curious about the Xavier game as I they are the only BE team I haven't watched a game of but if tonight's Huskies show up... I think we'll chalk up a W.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Going to take credit for this win guys. Bet against us so of course they showed up and covered the spread playing their best game of the season probably.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
He had them very ready tonight and it was fun to see them play offense like they did in the first half. 2nd half wasn’t pretty but not on coach either too many brain fart possessions which help keep them in the game. We are still not great with leads but no reason to whine tonight just enjoy!
Seems back to back three's are killing us. We grab a nice lead and almost lose it.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I'm not giving up on Gaff. He was at the scorers table around the 13 minute mark in the 2nd half. My eyes went back to the game and when the whistle blew he was gone.
He wasn't out on the floor long. I didn't see do anything wrong. Okay Sonogo scored crazy, but I think he had or caused more turn overs than anybody.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
He wasn't out on the floor long. I didn't see do anything wrong. Okay Sonogo scored crazy, but I think he had or caused more turn overs than anybody.
You didn’t see his egregious turnovers? Particularly the one in transition when he had a man advantage and he tried to force the corner pass?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Great win, and I was really happy to see Hawkins have good minutes - pretty sure he had 2 blocks and his D overall just looked way better. Was a bit surprised he didn't get more time in the 2nd half (or Polley since he was hitting) but we won so no complaint.

As pointed out earlier it looked like DH "played" better too today which is good to see.

Curious about the Xavier game as I they are the only BE team I haven't watched a game of but if tonight's Huskies show up... I think we'll chalk up a W.
It said on my DirectTV scheduled broad cast the Xavier game is canceled.

Reaction Score
Are you saying that you had zero anxiety when Marquette closed the lead down to 3 twice late in the 2nd half?
I was in the chat watching the game and I did say "here we go again" when the lead got to 3 the 1st time. However the team just seemed more poised than previous games. Ok maybe just a bit of anxiety lol.

Reaction Score
Credit where due. The guys stepped up. Played harder, made some shots and some really huge plays in other phases of the game. Rebounding was epic. The staff also stepped up, the pace in the first half, with shots early in the clock or in transition were critical. That was by design to help shake our shooting woes. I’d be interested in our shooting percentage in the first 15 seconds of the shot clock, vs the last 15.

Plenty of mistakes as well, and I give Hurley credit for realizing that playing fast will mean more mistakes and not overreacting to them. Jackson and others can still do better, but it’s a trade-off we need.
The coaches game plan was perfect. Crash the offensive boards, timely time outs and needed bench rotations to keep our players fresh. While our scoring was concentrated, we also got important contributions across the board. I loved the knowing smiles by the players! We can be a force. We will soon be trading places with Marquette and others above us in the National rankings.

Uconn teams, playing in Hartford, are great for the city and provide easy access for fans. Nice to see so many students supporting them downtown and an early game time allows for city or area activities after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom