Marquette Post Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Marquette Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Good question for a reporter to ask Hurley at a post-game presser.

It may have already been asked and Hurley may said that Diggins needs to keep working on his game which does not directly answer the question.

IDK, but maybe Hurley is not is not redshirting him in case Cole or Gaffney can't play and then he would play him?
They could take the red shirt off if they really needed him. On paper it looks like you would need the guard depth, but it is very clear he is not going to play a meaningful minute this year.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
So Hurley knows how to coach now? And the amateur athletes know how to play now? And the ebbs and flows of a CBB season happen now? Asking for a friend

I actually don't believe Hurley coached better or worse. I think what happened is that we have a very inconsistent team and for a team as experienced as they are they shouldn't play as inconsistent as they do. I think that is on Hurley. Some way say but poly what about UK or Duke they don't show up every game, well yes but they are also led by freshmen... So while we played great yesterday, I want to see a consistent level of play from the team and that is on the coach.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
One stat really jumped off the page at me when I looked at the team statistics:
View attachment 73130
14 turnovers and we still win by eight? That’s crazy. You have to think that if we can just get the team to value the ball a little bit more, we are incredibly dangerous come March
Morsell had 6 steals and Adama had 6 TOs I haven't gone back but every time Adama seemed to pass out of a double Morsell stepped into the passing lane.

Reaction Score
BTW. .Another positive(secondary) benefit of a win of this magnitude when the fans really "showed up" and created an awesome vibe.. The young redshirt dudes --Corey/Alex-- Can finally experience what it feels like to be performing and winning and be supported by our fan base. -- Helps reinforce their prudent decision to come to UConn to play ball.

Would be interesting to hear some time how they're doing in practice-Meeting expectations, etc. ?

Reaction Score
That’s what worries me…In what areas is Diggins so deficient that he can’t even take Gaffneys 5-8 minutes?

I think we’ve seen the end of Gaffs playing time though. Let Jackson run the point when Cole needs a breather.

That’s all good but let’s be honest AJ makes too many mistakes and has as many horrible possessions as Gaff. He can do more than Gaff no doubt but he’s still scary at the 2 never mind the point.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Morsell had 6 steals and Adama had 6 TOs I haven't gone back but every time Adama seemed to pass out of a double Morsell stepped into the passing lane.
I like that Adama is looking to pass out of the double, he just needs to be a little more purposeful about it. That will come in time. Likewise, the Jackson stupid passes kill me, but that’s the price we pay for his exceptional passes. He needs to find a happy medium. Again it’ll come in time.

Reaction Score
Watching the highlights makes one wonder about the defensive plan against Sanogo. Several times after he received a pass in the post four defenders all within 5-7 feet simply watched him being defended 1 on 1 rather than double or triple teaming. Considering that passing out of the post is a skill Sanogo that is still developing, the lack of consistent 2-3 man defense on him is puzzling.

Adama had a nice game but overall not great. And teams are going to focus on pushing him away from the basket and doubling down forcing him to pass the ball or dribble it more than once. While his scoring was solid he was one of the main reasons Marquette was allows to hang, terrible choices 2nd half!

CL82

Reaction Score
Because we almost doubled them up on the glass and outshot them across the board. Pretty simple, actually.
No doubt. But that turnover number is crazy.

Reaction Score
One stat really jumped off the page at me when I looked at the team statistics:
View attachment 73130
14 turnovers and we still win by eight? That’s crazy. You have to think that if we can just get the team to value the ball a little bit more, we are incredibly dangerous come March
Thanks for posting this! IMO the 87% for FTs played a significant role in getting this victory.

Reaction Score
No doubt. But that turnover number is crazy.
It's actually not too crazy. In our wins this year we have averaged 10.5 turnovers and in BE wins its a bit more at 11.0. In those BE wins, we've had 4 games with 13-15 turnovers.

CL82

Reaction Score
It's actually not too crazy. In our wins this year we have averaged 10.5 turnovers and in BE wins its a bit more at 11.0. In those BE wins, we've had 4 games with 13-15 turnovers.
It kind it is though. Here’s a screenshot of teams that are averaging 14 turnovers per game along with their rank:
9C550D49-7778-4362-BE68-73F847253189.jpeg

As a team we are averaging 12.4 per game which ranks us 122nd nationally.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
I would love to never heard Donny do a game again. He's awful, and he complains about every call that goes our way.
Yea, gonna disagree here. I think Donny is really talented and generally an enjoyable listen. That said, in an effort to maintain credibility, he goes overboard trying to counter perceived homerism. That blocking call against Cole last night was not a particularly challenging call and he was contorting himself to rationalize it despite clear-cut video evidence of the defender not having position.

Reaction Score
They could take the red shirt off if they really needed him. On paper it looks like you would need the guard depth, but it is very clear he is not going to play a meaningful minute this year.
Have I missed something?

I never read that Diggins was a redshirt.

I know that Floyd is, and I think so is Karaban.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I don’t understand what Kolek did. He played for George Mason last year, plays OK against bad comp, gets an upgrade to Marquette, now he’s a freshman again? I thought the covid year was added at the end.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He's bad, sorry if he's your friend or whatever.

Have you seen the other guys? Willard, Lappas, and a host of guys they must have picked up hanging around the port authority? I'm fine with whatever Donnie thinks he has to do to avoid being seen as a homer. He knows the game is a good listen in my book.

Reaction Score
Have you seen the other guys? Willard, Lappas, and a host of guys they must have picked up hanging around the port authority? I'm fine with whatever Donnie thinks he has to do to avoid being seen as a homer. He knows the game is a good listen in my book.
Donnie is one of my favorite UCONN players albeit not the most talented. I will never forget the time he was T-d up for “ darcastic applause”. Some refs are just too thin skinned and and chicken schiest dispensers.

Reaction Score
Have I missed something?

I never read that Diggins was a redshirt.

I know that Floyd is, and I think so is Karaban.
He isn't I was saying if they did redshirt and something happened to Cole or Gaffney they could have taken the redshirt off.

Reaction Score
He isn't I was saying if they did redshirt and something happened to Cole or Gaffney they could have taken the redshirt off.
Okay. That could be an option.

For whatever reason, DH has not redshirted RS to this point or given him much game time either.

But maybe some upcoming game this season, we will see a vibrant and productive Diggins for a 5-7 minute stint with more assists than turnovers, some points on 40% shooting, a rebound to boot, a steal, a taken charge, and limiting the other team's best guard for the short stint.

Hopefully, this is not a video game in somebody's mind.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Donnie is one of my favorite UCONN players albeit not the most talented. I will never forget the time he was T-d up for “ darcastic applause”. Some refs are just too thin skinned and and chicken schiest dispensers.
He also got into it with Charles Minland at the Civic Center way back in the day, resulting in a double ejection. Donny was a tough dude. Tyrese is in that mold.

Reaction Score
The team was really focused and played with an intensity that we need to play with going forward. We were bullies on the boards and Marquette's inability to hit critical free throws sealed their fate.
Good question for a reporter to ask Hurley at a post-game presser.

It may have already been asked and Hurley may said that Diggins needs to keep working on his game which does not directly answer the question.

IDK, but maybe Hurley is not is not redshirting him in case Cole or Gaffney can't play and then he would play him?
He's already played in games, He can't redshirt

Reaction Score
It kind it is though. Here’s a screenshot of teams that are averaging 14 turnovers per game along with their rank:
View attachment 73139
As a team we are averaging 12.4 per game which ranks us 122nd nationally.
How about overlaying the context of pace of play?

Reaction Score
I think you are right.

The article below indicates the A10 has petitioned the NCAA to allow for a fixed number of games based on difficulty maintaining a roster because of Corvid 19, but apparently the request is still pending.

CL82

Reaction Score
Sure. Have at it.
Here is the link for pace of play.
018EA9AA-6110-4B37-B6B5-0087A7EE29D8.jpeg

We are 93rd. The columns are number of possessions over the course of the season, number of possessions over the last three games and number of possessions over the last game. As you can see, our pace of play slowing down.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sure. Have at it.
20.6% turnover rate for that game. Our season average is 17.7% (107th nationally), in conference 18.2% (6th in Big East)

Auburn we had a 25% turnover rate. VCU 29.3%. WVU 25.4%. Seton Hall 25.7%. Nova 22%.

Lowest was Grambling 8.8%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog