Looking forward to next season. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Looking forward to next season.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Why shouldn't we expect McDonalds All Americans to come in and have an impact as freshmen and especially as sophomores? Where would the UConn men's team be without Alex Karaban and Donovan Clingan?
I have no idea about the men's team, I will not watch any MBB game. Period. In the last 5 years or so, name a freshman or sophomore not named Paige, Azzi and to some extent (freshman) Caroline, that have had a serious impact on the court? And to expect that to change soon, well, I will happily be waiting...

Centerstream

Reaction Score
I just copied this from a tweet in a different thread. I myself has asking the question in my post.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Very creative. Was wondering if you or anyone has recd feedback on Jana’s performance in practice.
Interesting question. Here’s what I’ve seen relative to Jana. In the U19 championships she was the best player on the court. She had a very nice handle for a Big and was able to finish easily in the lane with either hand.

A couple days ago, I saw a YouTube video from early pre-game practice before the Baylor game. UConn breaks into two groups who go through a series of passing and shooting drills, starting with layups on either side of the basket, and then moving out to midrange and finally to the arc.

I was particularly interested in watching Ice, who looked pretty good, hitting many of her shots at all three levels. But the player that stood out was Jana, who was in the same group as Ice.

Jana hit all her layups, as I expected, with a fluid release with either hand. From the midrange she hit just about all her shots, with a really soft shooting stroke. But when Jana stepped out to the arc, I got really excited. She drained 3 straight 3’s before missing, with the same easy shooting stroke that she showed from midrange.

None of my observations indicate how Jana will do against top-flight Bigs. But based on her practice efforts against Dorka & Aaliyah, Geno should have a pretty good take on whether or not Jana is ready for the big time next season.

Finally, Jana is a coach’s kid. Her father is the Egyptian national team coach for the U19 girls team. She learned how to play the game the right way from the very start.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting question. Here’s what I’ve seen relative to Jana. In the U19 championships she was the best player on the court. She had a very nice handle for a Big and was able to finish easily in the lane with either hand.

A couple days ago, I saw a YouTube video from early pre-game practice before the Baylor game. UConn breaks into two groups who go through a series of passing and shooting drills, starting with layups on either side of the basket, and then moving out to midrange and finally to the arc.

I was particularly interested in watching Ice, who looked pretty good, hitting many of her shots at all three levels. But the player that stood out was Jana, who was in the same group as Ice.

Jana hit all her layups, as I expected, with a fluid release with either hand. From the midrange she hit just about all her shots, with a really soft shooting stroke. But when Jana stepped out to the arc, I got really excited. She drained 3 straight 3’s before missing, with the same easy shooting stroke that she showed from midrange.

None of my observations indicate how Jana will do against top-flight Bigs. But based on her practice efforts against Dorka & Aaliyah, Geno should have a pretty good take on whether or not Jana is ready for the big time next season.

Finally, Jana is a coach’s kid. Her father is the Egyptian national team coach for the U19 girls team. She learned how to play the game the right way from the very start.
Can you post me a link to those YouTube videos plus the U19 Egypt game please.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ll try to get you the links once I get back home in a couple hrs.

Reaction Score
Hard to predict next year. Too many unknowns starting with health of Paige, Azzi, CD, AG, and Brady. They are all coming back from serious and/or chronic injuries. That's 5 out of our Top 7 players. That's a big.number.

I hope Geno starts building depth now through the portal and by playing freshman more than he has done in the past.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
A slight correction. Here is Jana, playing for Egypt, in the U18 African Championship semifinal game against Madagascar, a 98-66 victory for Egypt. Her stat line: 34 pts, 10 rebounds, 1 assist and 3 steals.

Reaction Score
After the lack of depth this season, I get that folks want more of a guarantee, however with 14 players on the roster (as of today), there's only one spot available.
Does Caitlin Clark or Maddy Siegrist have an extra COVID year they want to spend here? ;)

Reaction Score
We have been amazing considered that we have had injuries to 3 or 4 grat players last 2 years. While I revere Geno I think his inability to develop a decent backup big has really hurt us we just do not have enough depth when one of our bigs gets in foul trouble.
We wold have had a terrific freshman ( back-up) big this year, if not for injury ( Ice Brady). Now, we do not know what she will become. In addition, I think we have all learned that injuries have stolen not only Paige from us, but AZZI and Caroline as well. AZZI was positioned to us as a player so skilled (per Paige ) that she can take the team on her back and win a game we were about to lose. Clearly, that is no longer the case. She couldn't come close to that in our biggest game of the year. Caroline is a brilliant player who can no longer play without the terror of yet another blow to her head. She will never be the same, even though her courage and will are superior. These are really. u unfortunate developments, but they happened. And payers the quality of Paige, AZZI and Caroline do not grow on trees. In losing them, we have dropped way behind the curve. And it will be nearly impossible to catch up. Watch closely. The best players are no longer lining up to come to UCONN.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Does Caitlin Clark or Maddy Siegrist have an extra COVID year they want to spend here? ;)
Isn't Caitlin only a junior? If so, she does get a COVID year. :)
Maddy Siegrist has to declare for the WNBA draft before tomorrow's deadline, I believe. If she doesn't declare she does have a COVID year too.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Isn't Caitlin only a junior? If so, she does get a COVID year. :)
Maddy Siegrist has to declare for the WNBA draft before tomorrow's deadline, I believe. If she doesn't declare she does have a COVID year too.
Yup. Maddy had 48 hrs after her last game, so sometime today, whenever the Nova game ended on Friday.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yup. Maddy had 48 hrs after her last game, so sometime today, whenever the Nova game ended on Friday.
Here again, I believe Maddy has until April 1, 10 days before the draft to declare. While she talked as if the loss to Miami was her last game at Nova, she also indicated that she planned to talk to her parents about the decision.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Here again, I believe Maddy has until April 1, 10 days before the draft to declare. While she talked as if the loss to Miami was her last game at Nova, she also indicated that she planned to talk to her parents about the decision.
I conflated the 48 hrs with all tourney games. Per knoxnews article on Horston:

"The deadline for players to declare for the WNBA Draft is March 27, but if a team is still playing in the NCAA Tournament, players that still have eligibility will have until 48 hours after their final game to declare for the draft."

So anyone that's done playing as of yesterday has until 3/27, the elite eight participants have 48 hrs from today and tomorrow after games, and then the semis & finals another 48 hrs after the games are done next weekend.

Did I do the math correctly? Even after staying up late to watch UConn MBB, my brain decided to wake up at 5:30.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Okie dokie. I must have been misinterpreting the deadlines (which is normal for me). I thought that the deadline was March 27th unless your team was still in the tournament. If your team is still in the tournament on the 27th, then the deadline is 48 hrs after your last game. Not which deadline applies to teams playing today.
I don't know where I came up with this March date because I can't Google it now :mad:. So, maybe, nevermind.

Correction I just saw your latest post, so nevermind my nevermind.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I have no idea about the men's team, I will not watch any MBB game. Period. In the last 5 years or so, name a freshman or sophomore not named Paige, Azzi and to some extent (freshman) Caroline, that have had a serious impact on the court? And to expect that to change soon, well, I will happily be waiting...
If players are good enough as freshmen and sophomores, they'll play and make an impact. Going back 9 years . . .

Kia Nurse started as a freshman and made an impact. Lou started as a freshman and Napheesa made an impact off the bench; both were starters and terrific as sophomores. Crystal Dangerfield played 24 mpg as a freshman and had a serious impact and started as a sophomore. Megan Walker played about 15 minutes a game as a freshman and started as a sophomore. Christyn Williams started as a freshman. Nelson-Ododa started as a sophomore. Aaliyah Edwards made an impact as a freshman. Paige, Azzi and Caroline have been mentioned. This season I suspect Ice Brady would have made an impact had she been healthy. I expect her to make an impact next season.

I have no doubt that Arnold and Shade will be good enough to play and make an impact but they also have very good players ahead of them at their positions. Not sure about Samuels. I don't know enough about Jana Elalfy to know if she'll be ready to make a serious impact next season though there will be a need at her position unless someone transfers in.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Much has been written about the maturity and mentorship that Dorka and Lou provided to the team, so who's next? Will it be a triumvirate of Aaliyah, Nika, and Paige? A lot of good things have come from the overseas summer trips, so hoping that the team gets some quality bonding time together, build chemistry, and start the process anew.

Reaction Score
One interesting stat heard in the coverage of the game. Only five per cent of women’s teams have a double post scheme. SC and LSU are outliers and SC won its first championship after its second post was injured, resulting in a much more efficient lineup. This preoccupation with bigs on this site is really kind of comical at this point; UConn was just upset by a team using a five guard offense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom