Looking forward to next season. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Looking forward to next season.

Reaction Score
They are wrong lol. Prosper used a fully year of eligibility playing this year, however she played quite a bit and during big moments so it was probably worth it. I don't understand why South Carolina burned a whole year of Chloe Kitts eligibility to play 4-5 minutes against other teams benches during 30+ point wins. Why not have her come in early and practice and still have 4 years of playing available when she might be in the rotation.
They may not be as this was not the case with early arrival Olivia miles .

Reaction Score
Old Dude, I really really like your lineup--it shows great promise for a lot of reasons. But you know that Geno is exceptionally loyal and I seriously doubt that he would start a freshman over a 2 -year starter and someone who has garnered AA honorable mention and all conference selections.

True, I think KK will see considerable time next season because she's that good. but she's not going to start over Nika. Not going to happen..
BTW, did you see our girl got herself a technical in the McDonald's AA scrimmage game yesterday?
But that is a promising line up for sure....
I probably agree with both of you to a certain extent. If Old Dude's lineup starts the season we probably are a better team, because that means two significant things.

First it means one of the first year players, in this case Jana was able to show enough to land the starting 5 position. That means she is pretty good, because the bar is actually very high when you consider that Aaliyah at the 5 and Aubrey at the 4 was also a possibility.

Second it would mean that KK was also special enough to unseat a proven returning starter senior, among the nation's leaders in assists, BE defensive player of the year for the second time, and on a list of five finalists for the best PG in the nation. Once again a very high bar.

Having said that, like tchalla1, I don't think both of those things are likely to happen. I do think it is likely that somebody secures the starting C spot other than Aaliyah, be it Jana, Ice, or a portal transfer to be named later. Of course if Old Dude is right that might mean a second unit that could press and fast break led by Nika and Aubrey.

Reaction Score
Let's be real people. This year is SC tournament to lose. The rest are playing for second place. I would have been mad or pissed if we were heavily favorite to win it all and lose to OSU.
I think we will be heavily favorite to win it all with the core of group that are coming back including a great freshman class. So Im excited and looking forward to next season.

Thanks Dorkas and Lou!! You kept our tradition of winning going this year. You'll be missed
They shouldn't be heavily favored. Three of their expected 4 top scorers have all been hurt for most of their careers. That has to be a consideration. I know for me every time I will see Paige or Azzi hit the floor I'll be scared that an injury won't follow. Everytime Caroline is inside battling for a rebound I fear within seconds I might see her bailing out grasping at the top of her head.

And I'm very skeptical of the freshmen. I tend to believe experience wins a lot but with the UCONN women, our top 3 scorers while being upperclassmen are more like underclassmen in terms of minutes played.

Reaction Score
and by playing freshman more than he has done in the past.
I pray just the opposite in certain context unless we mean blowouts. . I pray that players like Paige, Azzi and Caroline and Aubrey can show me that those injuries are 100% in the past and I'm able to witness them at full strength with a knowledge that they will also have bright careers in pro ball. I loved how Paige used to tell Geno "You owe me minutes!" I would love to read that she said that again in her past context. Them reverting to their old-selves would be a posiitve relief.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
They may not be as this was not the case with early arrival Olivia miles .
Miles came in under the one-time Covid exception. Her early enrollment and playing in games don't count against her 4 years of eligibility.

Reaction Score
She chose to enroll early with the knowledge and understanding that she could not start or even be second string. She was fully informed that she would get no “ meaningful” playing time. She and her dad, a coach, fully discussed it before she enrolled in January and made their choice.
Of course she was informed. I’m not saying she was mislead. I’m saying it’s a waste of an eligibility year for someone that will probably be a great college player. Now the rest of the country only has to play against her for three years instead of four.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If you look at the FF teams, none are exceptionally athletic. But they are all experienced and have at least 1 player capable of taking over a game.

I thought tOSU was the most “athletic” team in the tournament. But they lost to VA Tech because Georgia Amoore, a quick, smart pg was able to slice through the Buckeye press and create easy scoring opportunities on offense.

A healthy UConn team, with Paige running the show, does the same thing to tOSU and probably gets to the finals for a rematch with SC. Given how well a shorthanded Husky team played the Gamecocks earlier this season, the Huskies would have had a good chance of upending SC’s march to a 2nd straight championship.

Reaction Score
If you look at the FF teams, none are exceptionally athletic. But they are all experienced and have at least 1 player capable of taking over a game.

I thought tOSU was the most “athletic” team in the tournament. But they lost to VA Tech because Georgia Amoore, a quick, smart pg was able to slice through the Buckeye press and create easy scoring opportunities on offense.

A healthy UConn team, with Paige running the show, does the same thing to tOSU
and probably gets to the finals for a rematch with SC. Given how well a shorthanded Husky team played the Gamecocks earlier this season, the Huskies would have had a good chance of upending SC’s march to a 2nd straight championship.
Shields Up Mr. Sulu!!! Good luck with this. Not saying I don't agree with you but......... :p:eek:

Reaction Score
Lots of good points, can I add " My2Cents'?
Our offense is designed to integrate all the great players we have. Lots of weaving, passing and looking for back cuts. If you have an open shot, take it.
Its not an offense that designates, one player, to take over a game, even when we need someone to.
With all the passing, we end up with tons of turnovers. We had three players, Dorka, Nika and Aaliyah that the other teams played off them and basically wanted them to shoot outside. (Aaliyah from the foul line). Because of this , it becomes harder to get in the lane because its clogged. When those three make their shots ,we win. When they are not hitting them, we really never get to a plan B.
With a Paige and Azzi, these two can beat anyone 1-1 either left or right, pull up or go to the rim and get fouled. (if it gets called)
Clark with Iowa gets the ball, gets the space to make all sorts of plays. She never receives a pass, and throws it right back. Every time Azzi does it, I scream at the TV. ( Drives my wife nuts!)
Give our 'Superstars" space to do their thing, and I think our last game results will change.

Reaction Score
Already looking forward to next season however I will turn my head to those who say we will win it all. Even with the personnel returning and coming in, we can only hope that they can put it together and bring back a trophy to Storrs. It may not be like the men's side yet but the landscape of WCBB has become more competitive and any team can be beaten at any time.
Did you see the men’s bracket this year?

Reaction Score
Huh? "extended?" Iowa was in a zone, weren't they? .

We have difference makers. They've been hurt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom