Looking forward to next season. | The Boneyard

Looking forward to next season.

Reaction Score
We'll get to see Ice in a Husky uniform. Fingers crossed Paige can stay healthy. Another offseason of keeping this amazing chemistry building that they already have. Yes Dorka and Lou will be missed of course they will. Jana as we know has already been practicing and getting adjusted to the system. Things are looking really good already. This season ended not like we were hoping, but time to get ready and excited for next season. Ok maybe I"m jumping the gun, but it's going to be here before we know it. I'm calling it now, UConn Huskies 2024 National Champs!!

I can't wait to see UConn when they come play here vs Minnesota. I hope I get tickets and are sitting by other UConn fans.

Reaction Score
I think this one will have to hurt for a while yet, but pretty soon the Boneyard will be full of interest in the portal, where Lou and Dorka get drafted, ongoing interest in recruiting, and of course the annual debate on what the starting lineup should be. that will keep us busy in the offseason.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
If I have observed anything here it is that we seem to expect too much of our freshmen and sophomores, especially our opinions in the offseason. I agree that on paper we will look very good, but in reality, we have no idea what our current freshman and incoming freshmen will bring to the court. We most likely will need another big to help Aaliyah have a truly AA season. That means we are going to expect Jana, Ice and Ayanna to come forward. Let's see what happens next November and December.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Sometimes we have to be realistic.

With what the kid's have delt with over the last two years. . . Making the sweet sixteen is an accomplishment.

Unfortunately our kids weren't up to playing well enough to make the officiating unnoticeable.

Reaction Score
Two straight injury-riddled seasons makes this two-year “slump” seem flukey.

So much returning talent next year. Easy to-five preseason pick.
We have been amazing considered that we have had injuries to 3 or 4 grat players last 2 years. While I revere Geno I think his inability to develop a decent backup big has really hurt us we just do not have enough depth when one of our bigs gets in foul trouble.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Hat tip to the Buckeyes, they had a plan and executed it. Hat tip to the Huskies who left it all on the floor today and battled adversity all season long. Fair winds to Lou and Dorka. Dang. Last time this happened, I was so... less old.

Reaction Score
We'll get to see Ice in a Husky uniform. Fingers crossed Paige can stay healthy. Another offseason of keeping this amazing chemistry building that they already have. Yes Dorka and Lou will be missed of course they will. Jana as we know has already been practicing and getting adjusted to the system. Things are looking really good already. This season ended not like we were hoping, but time to get ready and excited for next season. Ok maybe I"m jumping the gun, but it's going to be here before we know it. I'm calling it now, UConn Huskies 2024 National Champs!!

I can't wait to see UConn when they come play here vs Minnesota. I hope I get tickets and are sitting by other UConn fans.
Why can’t we go into a season without always claiming we will be dominant, we will win the NC, etc? Many Huskies fans are just not paying attention to the fact that there are now multiple title contenders, a plethora of outstanding players ( who would have predicted a freshmen front court player would outplay our bigs today?), and many good coaches. We love our players, but they are no more special than all the players on others teams who are chasing the same dreams and are beloved by their fans. There is no aura of invincibility or exceptionalism, we are a great program among an increasing number of great and good programs. You heard Geno say how hard it is to win in the tournament. Can’t we just cheer on the team and hope for the best and not make silly proclamations of greatness and guaranteed championships?

Reaction Score
Already looking forward to next season however I will turn my head to those who say we will win it all. Even with the personnel returning and coming in, we can only hope that they can put it together and bring back a trophy to Storrs. It may not be like the men's side yet but the landscape of WCBB has become more competitive and any team can be beaten at any time.

JBK

Reaction Score
Why can’t we go into a season without always claiming we will be dominant, we will win the NC, etc? Many Huskies fans are just not paying attention to the fact that there are now multiple title contenders, a plethora of outstanding players ( who would have predicted a freshmen front court player would outplay our bigs today?), and many good coaches. We love our players, but they are no more special than all the players on others teams who are chasing the same dreams and are beloved by their fans. There is no aura of invincibility or exceptionalism, we are a great program among an increasing number of great and good programs. You heard Geno say how hard it is to win in the tournament. Can’t we just cheer on the team and hope for the best and not make silly proclamations of greatness and guaranteed championships?
Agreed. Being back in Albany ( I think ) is an advantage for us

Reaction Score
Way too much angst over people predicting greatness, championship, etc! How does them making predictions hurt anyone? I’m pretty sure you would see the same thing in every fan forum in the country. With far less reason, I might add. Best to stay in your own lane and simply disagree rather than trying to tell others what to say! By the way, our players are more special to most UConn fans than players from other teams. Not as human beings but certainly as our players!
I too believe next year’s team, if healthy will/should be a favorite to win it all. How does that, right or wrong, hurt anyone or belittle other teams?

Reaction Score
Everything that was missing this year...is already here. All things considered....this was a special season.
Right on, @LwrcasefaN This about says it all as far as I’m concerned. Don’t need no transfers, don’t need to build a juggernaut. The team will be really sharp.

Remember when Paige and Nika and Aaliyah first came to Storrs and the team was young? That was an awesome season and I loved the feeling of watching the team grow around Paige and not knowing where it might end up. I look forward to that feeling again with KK, Q, Ashlynn, Jana, Ayanna and Ice all being guided by our veterans, Paige, Azzi, Nika, Caroline, Aaliyah Amari and Aubrey.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score

I trust Geno will try to schedule a homecoming game for Paige and if this happens, pretty sure the contingent of Husky fans from WI will be joining you.

And in a few years you can come to KK’s game in WI, assuming her time at UConn works out as we hope!

Reaction Score
We have some known factors. We have a former NPOY guard Paige, a guard who played at NPOY contender level to start the season in Azzi, and our assist record holder Nika returning. On the wing we have Ducharme who has shown when healthy to be a complimentary player, and Aubrey who is a disruptive defender and rebounder. Inside, we have Edwards who has played most of the season near AA level. That’s 6 players who we know. If healthy, which is a big if, that’s a great start.

The rest is all speculative. 5 players including ice who’ve never played a college game, and then Ines, Amari, and Ayanna. Ayanna is a good example that you can’t place NC expectations on the back of a freshman based on high school recruiting ranking. Sometimes it takes time!

We have a great foundation, and a ton of potential to fill out the gaps. But until all of the dust settles with the portal, and we know injury status etc to start the season, it’s all speculative. But I’d bet we’re once again a great team, and they’ll be a joy to follow once again!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I trust Geno will try to schedule a homecoming game for Paige and if this happens, pretty sure the contingent of Husky fans from WI will be joining you.

And in a few years you can come to KK’s game in WI, assuming her time at UConn works out as we hope!
Isn't Minnesota already on next year's OOC schedule?

Geno has done it again. UConn’s 2023-2024 non-conference schedule includes: -ND -SC -TN -NC -MD -TX -NC STATE -MN -LOUISVILLE

Reaction Score
If I have observed anything here it is that we seem to expect too much of our freshmen and sophomores, especially our opinions in the offseason. I agree that on paper we will look very good, but in reality, we have no idea what our current freshman and incoming freshmen will bring to the court. We most likely will need another big to help Aaliyah have a truly AA season. That means we are going to expect Jana, Ice and Ayanna to come forward. Let's see what happens next November and December.
Why shouldn't we expect McDonalds All Americans to come in and have an impact as freshmen and especially as sophomores? Where would the UConn men's team be without Alex Karaban and Donovan Clingan?

Reaction Score
Hope springs eternal in sports and on paper UConn has a lot to look forward to next season.

I've truly never seen a program have this many injuries over a two year period. This year's team did well considering the odds against them. I thought the current squad was peaking at the right time but by Q2 yesterday I could sense it would be unlikely the team would turn it around enough to win.

This year may have ended some incredible streaks but it was still a fine season that most programs envy. For now, the ladies need to get plenty of rest and take a short break before getting back to work.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Had a few hours to lick my wounds from yesterday’s game. So it’s way past time to turn my attention to next year’s team. ;)

I’m going to start out with what will be the first of many posts and threads on next year’s starting 5, by going out on a limb quite a bit. Assuming everyone is healthy :oops:, after a few games to sort things out, here is the starting 5 that will carry UConn to the championship in 2023-24:

• Paige
  • Azzi
  • Aaliyah
  • Jana :rolleyes:
  • KK :eek:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members