Looking forward to next season. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looking forward to next season.

Reaction Score
We'll get to see Ice in a Husky uniform. Fingers crossed Paige can stay healthy. Another offseason of keeping this amazing chemistry building that they already have. Yes Dorka and Lou will be missed of course they will. Jana as we know has already been practicing and getting adjusted to the system. Things are looking really good already. This season ended not like we were hoping, but time to get ready and excited for next season. Ok maybe I"m jumping the gun, but it's going to be here before we know it. I'm calling it now, UConn Huskies 2024 National Champs!!

I can't wait to see UConn when they come play here vs Minnesota. I hope I get tickets and are sitting by other UConn fans.
Yeah, I am looking forward to next season as well. Looking forward to seeing what a full healthy roster looks like on the court. Looking forward to seeing which players worked on their skill development over the summer and seeing which players did not.

Chemistry side of things, we have it. The team just seems to have a great bond. I love the bench reactions. Every player on the bench, win or lose, has such positive body language and that speaks volumes. On the court, it was the same. Everyone understood their role and did not step too far from their roles. Lou and Dorka. They will be missed. Greatly appreciate them. It is rare that you get transfers, especially Lou, who come to a team and in blend in so well. Lou in only that year, made such a positive impact. I hate to say it but having players out with injuries helped Lou greatly. She was thrown into the fire at the jump and that helped her and the team. Had others been healthy, who knows what would have happened with Lou and how she blended in with the rotation. I feel the same about Dorka. Just a positive player with such a great future ahead of her at the next level here or overseas.

As for us Minnesota folks who are UConn fans. Yeah, we should all get together for that game when UConn comes to the Barn. That would be pretty cool. I can not wait see what coach Plitzuwedoit does with the Gophers and who she can pull in from the transfer portal.

Reaction Score
Why shouldn't we expect McDonalds All Americans to come in and have an impact as freshmen and especially as sophomores? Where would the UConn men's team be without Alex Karaban and Donovan Clingan?
Sitting at home with the rest of McDonalds AA from other programs. We all know that just because a player gets that Mickey D's AA label, they do not workout all the time. There are a host of things that can happen in that process. I tip my hat to Alex and Donovan. Things are working out for them.

Reaction Score
What happened yesterday no one expected. There was numerous times that I wanted to switch channels but didn’t. That would not be right. With AE in the game at the beginning we were ahead. Fouls and turnovers killed us. So be it.

This was the year that streaks were broken by other teams. Teaching the Final Four one hurts the most. That’s because you as a team are on the biggest stage. Again so be it.

Let’s look towards the upcoming season. We sadly say good bye and thank you to Dorka and Lou. But we get phenomenal players in Arnold, Shade and Samuels. Plus, Jana has been on campus learning the system from Egypt. Two players one of which, is Paige has nothing to prove but show her skills. Ice will make an impact.

The team will be traveling to Croatia over the summer to play, interact, eat, sightsee and bond. This is much needed. I fully expect to see them in the Final Four once again. Crossing fingers here. Please no one get hurt.

It’s really time that the doubters that keep saying the Dynasty is done and it’s good for the game get an ear full. I believe Paige will stay for two years. She wants to play with Azzi. If so, hopefully they can make it happen.

Reaction Score
I hope so. I love the idea of having players that interchangeable "positionless" basketball. I am hoping that Jana, Ice, AP, and all of the other new players as well as the returning players, can use the off season to refresh, get healthy, be young and have fun, but also work on their craft in the process.

Reaction Score
The problem for next season is that the serious injuries suffered the past two years don't go away. We have repaired knees on Paige, Azzi, and Ice. And CD is still suffering from symptoms of a series of concussions. I hope she comes back, but it's not guaranteed. Add to that CD's numerous surgeries. So Connecticut will begin training next autumn with several critically important athletes whose bodies' ability to make it through a demanding season is not guaranteed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Connecticut always suffers when it plays on the West Coast. I think it's jet lag. Seriously.
So, what about VA Tech, tOSU & TN, who all had to travel to the West Coast from the Eastern time zone? I would also point out that earlier this year, UConn traveled to Portland, OR where they handled both Duke & Iowa in the Phil Knight tournament.

Reaction Score
Now's the time for Connecticut to aggressively move on players looking at the Transfer Portal. We got Dorka and Lou, of course. But other teams enticed major talents to their teams. Think Cardoso to South Carolina, and several others.

Connecticut has been caught flat-footed in this new world of easy transfers, and we need to get up to speed. Now. The team is still thin in the front court. DeBerry is not going to develop into a player who can contribute in a big way. Just not happening. We have Jana, a freshman. And we will get an Ice recovering from serious knee injury. Patterson has not proven herself to be a power underneath. So we need to scan the portal for major front court talent. One, or two, preferably three.

Reaction Score
What happened yesterday no one expected. There was numerous times that I wanted to switch channels but didn’t. That would not be right. With AE in the game at the beginning we were ahead. Fouls and turnovers killed us. So be it.

This was the year that streaks were broken by other teams. Teaching the Final Four one hurts the most. That’s because you as a team are on the biggest stage. Again so be it.

Let’s look towards the upcoming season. We sadly say good bye and thank you to Dorka and Lou. But we get phenomenal players in Arnold, Shade and Samuels. Plus, Jana has been on campus learning the system from Egypt. Two players one of which, is Paige has nothing to prove but show her skills. Ice will make an impact.

The team will be traveling to Croatia over the summer to play, interact, eat, sightsee and bond. This is much needed. I fully expect to see them in the Final Four once again. Crossing fingers here. Please no one get hurt.

It’s really time that the doubters that keep saying the Dynasty is done and it’s good for the game get an ear full. I believe Paige will stay for two years. She wants to play with Azzi. If so, hopefully they can make it happen.
Oh, we expected it to happen. It was just a matter of time. When we went down to 6 or 7 players, I was shocked that no team pressed us for 30 or 40 minutes. But we all expected it. We were just holding on to hope. But like you said, streaks end and we can start new streaks.

I do love the fact that we get that summer trip overseas. A chance for the new players to get into the mix. Get to see and develop that competition. I can not wait until next year to see what develops.

Reaction Score
Now's the time for Connecticut to aggressively move on players looking at the Transfer Portal. We got Dorka and Lou, of course. But other teams enticed major talents to their teams. Think Cardoso to South Carolina, and several others.

Connecticut has been caught flat-footed in this new world of easy transfers, and we need to get up to speed. Now. The team is still thin in the front court. DeBerry is not going to develop into a player who can contribute in a big way. Just not happening. We have Jana, a freshman. And we will get an Ice recovering from serious knee injury. Patterson has not proven herself to be a power underneath. So we need to scan the portal for major front court talent. One, or two, preferably three.
I am sure the coaching staff is looking at the portal.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

I’m not sure how you can suggest that UConn got caught “flat-footed” when it comes to transfers. While it’s true that Geno doesn’t radically disrupt his roster by bringing in 3-4 transfers per year, as others have done, in the past several years he’s brought in Evina, Dorka & Lou, all of whom were significant additions to the team.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
I respect all the comments on the portal, however there will be 14 players on the roster with Aubrey coming back. The max roster size is 15. I'm not even going to speculate how many of the 14 will be vying for playing time in the rotation.

I fear that discussion on whether or not UConn chooses to engage with portal participants will lead us down a path that is verboten.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I respect all the comments on the portal, however there will be 14 players on the roster with Aubrey coming back. The max roster size is 15. I'm not even going to speculate how many of the 14 will be vying for playing time in the rotation.

I fear that discussion on whether or not UConn chooses to engage with portal participants will lead us down a path that is verboten.
I basically agree with your post. The one exception I would consider if I were Geno and his staff would be at the Center position, where the Huskies will be short on experience next season. That too, might not even be necessary based on what Geno has seen in practice from both Ice & Jana. If they look like the answer at Center, then UConn should stand pat with the roster they have.

I did note that the UConn coaches are following 6’5” Lauren Ware, a former USA teammate of Paige & Azzi’s who has entered the portal out of Arizona.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

There are 14 scholarship players on next year’s roster.

Reaction Score
With all the hope and speculation about next year's roster and speculation about how good we could be, I hope the Ohio State experience will jumpstart the interest in Uconn being the team pressing all over the court. I believe the absolute minimum size of the rotation next year if everyone is healthy is 7. It would be exceptionally disappointing if that is what happened, and if it did, pressing is probably off the table.

I fully expect the opposite, namely that Geno could put a very high quality backup in for any starter and still have one or two that meet those standards in reserve, meaning he could still have a rotation around 10 even with an injury or two. If that turns out to be true, and we don't at least press frequently and try to fast break all the time I will be upset at the coaching staff.

But that depends on several players, all with plenty of potential earning Geno's trust. Geno doesn't play potential, prospects, or players to develop, unless they are ready and capable of being an above average contributor the moment they enter the game. It is a very high standard, sometimes too high in my opinion, to the point of playing his core well past fatigue, rather than taking a chance on someone he is not sure of.

Because of Geno's tendencies for short rotations, I hope many players force him to include them in the rotation, and if several do that, I think he will be open to more pressing and resting the core more for greater productivity from them. I know plenty will disagree with this but this is how I assess the candidates.

I don't see much chance of Ines, Amari, or Q being part of that rotation mix, even if it is a big one. Ines could improve substantially and get less time than this year. We lose Lou, but gain Paige, probably Azzi and Caroline for more of next season than they played this year, plus KK and Ashlynn. It's a numbers game, I don't see her playing ahead of any of those players thru no fault of her own.

Amari has had two years to make an impact and thus far has not. You can see the potential that made her #15 according to ESPN, but if they went back and did those rankings now she might not be in the top 100. In her case in competition with Ice and Jana I see her as a very distant third. Those two are also highly rated and would have to similarly underachieve their rating by a similar substantial amount for Amari to be significant competition.

As for Q she is a fine prospect, but has lots of proven high level players ahead of her, most of which were higher ranked prospects that have already proven themselves. probably a learning and gaining experience year for her.

Then there are the X factors. Very talented players that would be starters on most teams, that could easily be part of an expanded rotation, but who have to show that they are worthy of adding to a limited rotation that has no weak links. In that category I have KK, Ashlynn, Ayanna, Ice and Jana.

Ayanna I fully expected to be a reliable regular part of the rotation this year, and she was close to that, but clearly there were times when Geno did not want to use her. I expect her to be much better, but like Ines, she may have far more competition for her minutes than this year. This year when Dorka or Aaliyah was out, Ayanna was struggling somewhat and Amari didn't make a major sophomore leap.

Next year there are other options. The principle one is Aubrey. She is probably more 4/3 than 3/4 but this year because of injuries was needed more on the perimeter. She is a proven star 4 backup, Ayanna hopes to be that. When we got Azzi and Caroline back and then Aaliyah got in foul trouble against Baylor, Geno called on Aubrey not Aaliyah. Unless something changes, that is probably the way next year starts, when Aubrey can get minutes up front, and on the wing, but could handle all of Aaliyah's backup minutes. It is also possible Ayanna could face competition from Ice and Jana. Now while they will be needed mostly at the 5, they both can play the 4, and could potentially be ahead of Ayanna as well.

KK and Ashlynn certainly have the ability to step in and produce right away, but they don't have to. If Geno wanted to, he could manage the small minutes with Nika, Azzi, Paige, Caroline and Aubrey, and not have to use KK or Ashlynn at all. Since Aubrey can be used upfront as well she may only be available part time for the backcourt. Regardless there is no burning need to throw them into the fire right away. On the other hand, if they are ready to produce at a high level, the argument for including one or both in the rotation and pressing is much greater.

Unlike the new guards we really need Ice and Jana to produce at the 5 right away. If they don't, the expanded rotation might not happen. In that case Aaliyah might be the starting 5, Aubrey the starter at the 4, and Ayanna needs to get major minutes.

If the new bigs come thru which I expect, and one of the new guards plays their way into an expanded rotation all the options for pressing, strategic substitutions, and resting the core will be available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
As for us Minnesota folks who are UConn fans. Yeah, we should all get together for that game when UConn comes to the Barn. That would be pretty cool. I can not wait see what coach Plitzuwedoit does with the Gophers and who she can pull in from the transfer portal.
Ok, someone needs to buy a bunch of tickets for us UConn fans in Minney so we can group with each other lol.

Since I see people commenting on me being optimistic and saying UConn 2024 National Champions, I say the same thing after every season with Green Bay Packers, MInnesota Wild, Boston Red Sox, Minnesota Gophers. Win or lose for any of my teams I'm a fan no matter what and will always support them.

It's great finally getting some parity and good competition in women's basketball. Let's face it, there have been in the past a few teams who were tough to play, but not like now. Every new year of course there's new players. I for one get excited to see what they can do. How they will do. I never put all my eggs into freshmen, sophs, it's a team game. Everyone plays their part. To me it's a mystery of what and how the players are going to be like. We know what they are like from their previous team{s) but not all together on the same floor in the same uni.

JBK

Reaction Score
Had a few hours to lick my wounds from yesterday’s game. So it’s way past time to turn my attention to next year’s team. ;)

I’m going to start out with what will be the first of many posts and threads on next year’s starting 5, by going out on a limb quite a bit. Assuming everyone is healthy :oops:, after a few games to sort things out, here is the starting 5 that will carry UConn to the championship in 2023-24:

• Paige
  • Azzi
  • Aaliyah
  • Jana :rolleyes:
  • KK :eek:
Very creative. Was wondering if you or anyone has recd feedback on Jana’s performance in practice.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, 14 scholarship players already here means :

1. there's only room for one more
2. there will be precious little playing time to share as is
3. we have a bunch of players we need to develop

The program doesn't just exist in one year increments. It's a multi-year institution. Even if we find that one fabled 6'6" grad transfer, that doesn't mean she'd get to play much, and it might hurt recruiting for future years. How will Sarah Strong and Adele Tac (or whoever else someone thinks we should sign) be able to trust Geno if he squeezes yet another one-off player into the roster?

Personally, I think we're plenty big enough in the front court with 6'5", 6'4", 6'3", 6'3", 6'2", 6'2", 6'2" -- how do we think teams like LSU Utah tOSU Louisville Iowa made it so far with much smaller lineups?

Reaction Score
I'm always going to look back with great fondness for this year's team...........they went farther than I thought they would based on the injuries they suffered...........next season if Paige, Azzi, Caroline and Aubrey are 100% healthy I expect great things.........

Reaction Score
McGuff has developed the blueprint for beating UCONN at least for next year and possibly the next few years. All opponents that have the talent to implement it will full court press and try to get AE in foul trouble. Once Edwards is off the floor there would appear to be no inside help. Jana 6-4 and Ice Brady 6-3, but both totally unproven. Patterson 6-2 still a question mark. Possibly Dorka 2.0 may become available via the portal.

Reaction Score
I basically agree with your post. The one exception I would consider if I were Geno and his staff would be at the Center position, where the Huskies will be short on experience next season. That too, might not even be necessary based on what Geno has seen in practice from both Ice & Jana. If they look like the answer at Center, then UConn should stand pat with the roster they have.

I did note that the UConn coaches are following 6’5” Lauren Ware, a former USA teammate of Paige & Azzi’s who has entered the portal out of Arizona.
Ware is an interesting possibility as a experienced backup 5, somewhat limited athletically and coming off the same surgery that Brady had. Her only USA experience was the 2021 U19 Hungary team. Fudd was a teammate but not Bueckers. With 3 year’s eligibility left though, I doubt she’s looking to be a backup.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom