Looking forward to next season. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Looking forward to next season.

Reaction Score
Looking forward: sure am!

A significant part of that in order to get to where we want to go...#12...will be our inside game.
We will have one...count 'em one... proven college player whom I would call an inside player...a great one....Aaliyah.
Caroline and Aubrey can do some wonderful things inside and out. Against teams with elite
paint folks their relative lack of height can be a problem.

We will win lots of games....even in our 'bad' seasons we do that....but I think to win the last one we will need at least one...preferably
two of our players who have not yet proven their abilities in college.

Redshirt soph: Ice
Junior; Amari
Soph;Ayanna
Frosh: Jana...Qadence maybe [more an Aubrey type}

We don't need them all in the regular rotation...not enough room given our guard depth.
But we need a couple.

Hoping for serious development of skills...whether in the rotation or just garbage time showing Geno they are ready for
more.

November 2023: which of these will be in the rotation from the git-go?

I still think that if Geno finds an inside player in the portal who in his view would help our #12
chances, he should pursue her.
Fourteen scholarship players next year and Geno has not generally been a coach to extend the bench, so can they add anyone or would they want to? With those many players, would anyone want to come in?

Reaction Score
How does entering college early and actually playing in games affect years of eligibility? In a notre dame game the announcers mentioned their early entry player would not loose a year of eligibility?

Reaction Score
How does entering college early and actually playing in games affect years of eligibility? In a notre dame game the announcers mentioned their early entry player would not loose a year of eligibility?
They are wrong lol. Prosper used a fully year of eligibility playing this year, however she played quite a bit and during big moments so it was probably worth it. I don't understand why South Carolina burned a whole year of Chloe Kitts eligibility to play 4-5 minutes against other teams benches during 30+ point wins. Why not have her come in early and practice and still have 4 years of playing available when she might be in the rotation.

Reaction Score
Aligned to Coach Staley's comments, it's standard process for an optimismic look to next year around incoming recruits. Per ESPN, UConn has the overall #5 (#2 point guard), #15 (guard) and #41(forward) incoming freshmen, in addition to the post transfer from Egypt.

However, as per this past season, one of the program's biggest challenges against a desperate need, was the failure to develop two prior highly regarded recruits, no more on display than in their most recent loss. With the team's key big playing only 18 minutes, the two post / wing recruits offered a total of 1 meaningless minute between them.

Set aside fault (the player's just not up for it, the coaches failed, etc...), the freshman was UConn's highest rated recruit, #4 overall, top rated wing in the country. The sophomore was #15 overall in her class, 3rd rated post in the country. Yet the two rarely played real meaningful minutes throughout the season, even in games with critical needs, due to fouls or injury.

One surmises it would seem reasonable to evolve the process a bit, whether that be with respect to the assistants, scouting, recruiting, in-game rotations, etc...

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is what I was referring to:

“It’s a weird thing in the portal,” Auriemma said Thursday (June 12,2022 article). “If a kid goes in the portal and doesn’t know where they’re going and they’re going to be recruited, then you’ve got to go through the whole recruiting process again. If a kid goes in the portal and two days later they sign with somebody, then you know they’ve been recruited all year long and somebody’s been cheating their ass off. So by the time you get to this point, there’s really not a whole lot of really good players available....To our detriment, probably, we’re not one of those schools that has one coach dedicated to the portal and calling AAU coaches around the country saying, ‘Hey, is your kid happy? Do they want to transfer?’” Auriemma said. “We’re not in that world. We don’t operate like that. So the transfer portal for us is, generally speaking, something that happens when kids graduate — in Lou’s case, in Dorka’s case — and they’re looking for another opportunity to go do something different..."

I appreciate the clarification. But, I find it hard to believe that any transfer doesn’t involve some “feeling out” between the interested parties, perhaps through “intermediaries,” whether it’s before or after the transfer officially puts their name in the portal.

Let’s talk about Evina, who transferred as an undergraduate when she was unhappy at TN. From all indications, the discussion about Evina transferring to UConn started between Evina and Megan Walker, a player that Evina had befriended during HS all star games and USA basketball.

As I recall, it was quite soon after Evina made clear her intention to transfer from TN that she made a trip to Storrs and quickly announced her intention to transfer to UConn. I’m not suggesting anything illegal. But it’s quite possible that Megan talked to Geno about Evina’s potential interest and Geno simply told Megan, “Yes we’re interested.”

The UConn coaching staff is currently following AZ undergraduate Lauren Ware, a USA teammate of Azzi’s. I can’t imagine that Ware and Azzi haven’t talked or texted each other.

Even with Dorka & Lou, Geno spoke with basketball people, essentially to get references on what kind of kid they were, along with a frank assessment of their basketball ability. In Lou’s case, Geno had the unique opportunity to speak with Joe Frager, the retiring HC of Fairfield who had been Lou’s coach for 4 years. Lou made a quick visit to Storrs, her only visit anywhere, and she announced she was going to be a Husky.

sun

Reaction Score
I would rather see an exceptional sharpshooter/ combo guard come to UConn instead of another big.
If Paige or Azzi get injured next year there may not be a sharpshooter to replace either of them.
Lou was expected to play with Paige even though we already had Azzi & Carol.
I doubt that Shade or KK could pick up the scoring slack if Paige or Azzi went down.

No one else on this year's team is a productive enough sharpshooter to replace Lou.
Ice & Jana & Amari should be able to replace Dorka's height, whereas we won't have anyone to replace Paige or Azzi.
My transfer preference is for a combo guard instead of another big for that reason.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The UConn coaching staff is currently following AZ undergraduate Lauren Ware, a USA teammate of Azzi’s. I can’t imagine that Ware and Azzi haven’t talked or texted each other.
They are? Who?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have no idea about the men's team, I will not watch any MBB game. Period. In the last 5 years or so, name a freshman or sophomore not named Paige, Azzi and to some extent (freshman) Caroline, that have had a serious impact on the court? And to expect that to change soon, well, I will happily be waiting...
The UConn men play an awful lot like the UConn women. They are a likable, fun crew to watch

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I appreciate the clarification. But, I find it hard to believe that any transfer doesn’t involve some “feeling out” between the interested parties, perhaps through “intermediaries,” whether it’s before or after the transfer officially puts their name in the portal.

Let’s talk about Evina, who transferred as an undergraduate when she was unhappy at TN. From all indications, the discussion about Evina transferring to UConn started between Evina and Megan Walker, a player that Evina had befriended during HS all star games and USA basketball.

As I recall, it was quite soon after Evina made clear her intention to transfer from TN that she made a trip to Storrs and quickly announced her intention to transfer to UConn. I’m not suggesting anything illegal. But it’s quite possible that Megan talked to Geno about Evina’s potential interest and Geno simply told Megan, “Yes we’re interested.”

Even with Dorka & Lou, Geno spoke with basketball people, essentially to get references on what kind of kid they were, along with a frank assessment of their basketball ability. In Lou’s case, Geno had the unique opportunity to speak with Joe Frager, the retiring HC of Fairfield who had been Lou’s coach for 4 years. Lou made a quick visit to Storrs, her only visit anywhere, and she announced she was going to be a Husky.
Wasn't it Morgan that emailed Lou shortly after it was announced that Lou was entering the transfer portal? I also thought that it was pretty much a done deal once Lou found out that UConn was interested in her.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If there was any interest when Lauren was in high school, UConn may have started following her then.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The UConn men play an awful lot like the UConn women. They are a likable, fun crew to watch
Good to know but I stopped watching MBB in the early 90s when it seemed to me that the future game was just going to be a dunking contest. This is just my opinion on the game and is not based on any facts or statistics.
I am just so happy that I stumbled upon UConn WBB about a decade ago. :)

Reaction Score
IMO, We can't go into a season without predicting dominance and superiority because of our recent success in winning NCs. Six NCs in the last fourteen years. It's become habit-forming. We're spoiled. As long as Geno is here, UConn Nation still believes he can deliver a championship. It's been 8 years (2016) since UConn cut the nets down. One need only look at the women's games the past week to see the truth in your observations. There is an increasing number of great programs, and very good upcoming programs, none of whom are afraid or intimidated by UConn. There is no aura of invincibility or exceptionalism. Touche.:rolleyes:
I agree, it's what only fans will do. It's a no risk way of writing checks that your butt doesn't have to cash. Coaches and players won't do it because they'd actually have to back it up. But if your team wins it sounds great telling people how "we" did it. ;)

Reaction Score
I am looking forward to next season and I think the team will do well, but I'm going to take a wait and see approach. There are more talented players than ever, and they are spread out among many teams. The game has changed to a more physical style of play, and the level of coaching has improved in the women's game.

Nothing is guaranteed.

Reaction Score
They are wrong lol. Prosper used a fully year of eligibility playing this year, however she played quite a bit and during big moments so it was probably worth it. I don't understand why South Carolina burned a whole year of Chloe Kitts eligibility to play 4-5 minutes against other teams benches during 30+ point wins. Why not have her come in early and practice and still have 4 years of playing available when she might be in the rotation.
It was her choice. I don't think Dawn stands in the way of player choices such as that

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Ware is a good, tough defensive forward..........I'm looking forward to seeing Ice and Jana play next season but if Ms Ware would like to continue her career at UConn I wouldn't mind one bit.......

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They are? Who?
My information is based on a post from another BY’er. Unfortunately, I cannot remember who. If I recall correctly, I believe the post suggested that Morgan was following Ware along with Azzi and possibly Paige.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
My information is based on a post from another BY’er. Unfortunately, I cannot remember who. If I recall correctly, I believe the post suggested that Morgan was following Ware along with Azzi and possibly Paige.
Thanks! Morgan following her is not recent so unlikely in response to her entry into the portal.

Ware missed the 22-23 season because of knee surgery.

Another player coming off surgery? Ugh.

Reaction Score
It was her choice. I don't think Dawn stands in the way of player choices such as that
That is a definitely a choice a coach should be making rather than a player. Not saying she should have stopped Kitts from enrolling early- that's Kitts choice. But playing time and roster management? That's Dawns. As far as I know, there was no game that South Carolina needed Kitts to play in to win. If Dawn thought playing her in garbage time of blow out wins was more critical for her development or the teams success this year than 4 full years of playing and practicing, that's fine but it is also a coaches choice, not a players who goes into games. I personally side eye that choice but unless you think Chloe is sending herself into game's I don't see how how its her personal choice.

Reaction Score
I have no idea about the men's team, I will not watch any MBB game. Period. In the last 5 years or so, name a freshman or sophomore not named Paige, Azzi and to some extent (freshman) Caroline, that have had a serious impact on the court? And to expect that to change soon, well, I will happily be waiting...
Paige's class included Aaliyah and Nika-- both of whom started some games and played extensive minutes in their freshman year alongside Paige. Caroline led the team in scoring until she was injured.

Reaction Score
Had a few hours to lick my wounds from yesterday’s game. So it’s way past time to turn my attention to next year’s team. ;)

I’m going to start out with what will be the first of many posts and threads on next year’s starting 5, by going out on a limb quite a bit. Assuming everyone is healthy :oops:, after a few games to sort things out, here is the starting 5 that will carry UConn to the championship in 2023-24:

• Paige
  • Azzi
  • Aaliyah
  • Jana :rolleyes:
  • KK :eek:
Old Dude, I really really like your lineup--it shows great promise for a lot of reasons. But you know that Geno is exceptionally loyal and I seriously doubt that he would start a freshman over a 2 -year starter and someone who has garnered AA honorable mention and all conference selections.

True, I think KK will see considerable time next season because she's that good. but she's not going to start over Nika. Not going to happen..
BTW, did you see our girl got herself a technical in the McDonald's AA scrimmage game yesterday?
But that is a promising line up for sure....

Reaction Score
Now's the time for Connecticut to aggressively move on players looking at the Transfer Portal. We got Dorka and Lou, of course. But other teams enticed major talents to their teams. Think Cardoso to South Carolina, and several others.

Connecticut has been caught flat-footed in this new world of easy transfers, and we need to get up to speed. Now. The team is still thin in the front court. DeBerry is not going to develop into a player who can contribute in a big way. Just not happening. We have Jana, a freshman. And we will get an Ice recovering from serious knee injury. Patterson has not proven herself to be a power underneath. So we need to scan the portal for major front court talent. One, or two, preferably three.
I agree that the transfer portal is now an integral part of WBB and must be effectively and efficiently utilized. I also agree that our front line except for AE is inexperienced--talented, but inexperienced. We probably need a Dorka replacement for even a year, until Jana gets up to speed.

Reaction Score
That is a definitely a choice a coach should be making rather than a player. Not saying she should have stopped Kitts from enrolling early- that's Kitts choice. But playing time and roster management? That's Dawns. As far as I know, there was no game that South Carolina needed Kitts to play in to win. If Dawn thought playing her in garbage time of blow out wins was more critical for her development or the teams success this year than 4 full years of playing and practicing, that's fine but it is also a coaches choice, not a players who goes into games. I personally side eye that choice but unless you think Chloe is sending herself into game's I don't see how how its her personal choice.
She chose to enroll early with the knowledge and understanding that she could not start or even be second string. She was fully informed that she would get no “ meaningful” playing time. She and her dad, a coach, fully discussed it before she enrolled in January and made their choice.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Old Dude, I really really like your lineup--it shows great promise for a lot of reasons. But you know that Geno is exceptionally loyal and I seriously doubt that he would start a freshman over a 2 -year starter and someone who has garnered AA honorable mention and all conference selections.

True, I think KK will see considerable time next season because she's that good. but she's not going to start over Nika. Not going to happen..
BTW, did you see our girl got herself a technical in the McDonald's AA scrimmage game yesterday?
But that is a promising line up for sure....
I acknowledge that Geno is loyal, and considering that the player we are talking about is Nika, one of the fiercest competitors we have ever seen at UConn, it will be a monumental task for anyone to get her out of the starting lineup.

With that said, KK has a wicked, ankle-braking handle, a great pull-up jumper from anywhere on the court and she’s a tough defender. In addition, with Paige back, Nika will not be required to pick up as great a responsibility to run the offense.

I am absolutely OK if Nika hangs on to her starting job. But if KK can somehow wrestle that job away from Nika, UConn will be a far more formidable team, particularly on the offensive end.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They are scheduled to go to Croatia this summer and will play 4 games.
Sounds great and they should buy and extra return flight ticket for another Nika, if she's out there!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom