It's Official: Shea Ralph Named Vanderbilt Coach | Page 9 | The Boneyard

It's Official: Shea Ralph Named Vanderbilt Coach

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I apologize in advance for being the party pooper...Does anyone recall Brown's submission on Apr 2, 2021

I thought it was kind of odd when Geno was asked if they were able to go over different things with Shea and he kind of brushed it off saying what can she do she's not here..he did after awhile say it's per Ncaa rules she can't come back but couldn't help think he was maybe a little upset that she left..I may be totally off base but I expected him to say we go over things with her,she's been watching film,we talk daily ,we miss her not being here but there was none of that

Is i possible that this has been going on for a while?...even that the family issue was not exactly as publicly described.

It would be good to be able to put all this nonsense to bed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You left out the best; the Grand 'Ol Opry!
If by the best, you mean the worst; I agree with you. The Opry may have had it's day but that day is not today. I can't believe anyone would go for a second time.

Reaction Score
It makes sense. Good move for Shea but she will be missed. I will never forget her massive bear hug for Moriah Jefferson after Moriah came off the floor for the very last time in a UConn uniform at the end of the 2016 championship game. There was genuine love between coach and player which bodes well for Vandy recruits. But with the talent already in place plus the talent coming in it seems pretty clear that there's not likely to be a coaching change in UConn leadership for at least another 3 or 4 more years. My only complaint, if I were to have a complaint, might be that Shea went to a state where some player wear orange, which is an awful thought. But Shea can demonstrate her value as a head coach and maybe someday........

Reaction Score
Selfishly, I would have preferred that Shea stay with UCONN. Her coaching contributions to the team were essential in successfully maintaining the high level of excellence that we all expect from those wearing the jersey. She will be missed and her accomplishments both as a player and coach for the huskies will not be forgotten but always appreciated. Thank you Shea and good luck.

Attachments

• 790E7B9B-8C07-4329-A7FD-C3DF191A9601.jpeg
    790E7B9B-8C07-4329-A7FD-C3DF191A9601.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 84
Reaction Score
Why would you choose less money, less support, less prestige? UConn won't be UConn when Geno leaves.
You aren't serious, are you?

UCONN will continue to do EVERYTHING it has to do to keep the program top level.
Financial support and resources will continue to be there. UCONN will be extremely attractive to Shea to come back to UCONN.
I hope they like Nashville but don't fall in love with it.
Storrs is where Shea belongs.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Interesting situation for them with husband Tom coaching the UMASS Lowell team. At UCONN they were close enough to live on middle ground. But not at Vandy. Would Tom go back to being an assistant?

Edit :
the previous ct post article answered that - he is expected to be on her staff.

Reaction Score
I apologize in advance for being the party pooper...Does anyone recall Brown's submission on Apr 2, 2021

I thought it was kind of odd when Geno was asked if they were able to go over different things with Shea and he kind of brushed it off saying what can she do she's not here..he did after awhile say it's per Ncaa rules she can't come back but couldn't help think he was maybe a little upset that she left..I may be totally off base but I expected him to say we go over things with her,she's been watching film,we talk daily ,we miss her not being here but there was none of that

Is i possible that this has been going on for a while?...even that the family issue was not exactly as publicly described.

I thought the same thing. That's twice in 11 months two assistants have pulled a Delle Donne and disappeared in the middle of the night, figuratively speaking of course.

Reaction Score
Where's the Geno quote?? This happened very fast - looked like she packed up her bags during the Tourney & already left! Very strange.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

At this time it really doesn't matter. Once she decided to take the job she was no longer UCONN. I know others may disagree, consider this You are putting your time into interviewing, studying what the team has, what the team needs, who you may be able to take with you, who your assistants will be, and who you will recruit. How much time is left for UCONN? Shea had mentally left UCONN at that point. I loved her as a player, loved her as a coach and as a recruiter, a legend for sure. I've moved on, the details while interesting are not important.

Reaction Score
it's most likely going to take her a minimum of 3-4 years to get the program to .500...........unless academics are your main focus or you are desperate for playing time and don't mind losing, why would you leave any of the guaranteed NCAA tournament teams to go to Vanderbilt?
Come on, players want to play, period, end of story. I was lucky enough to win my share in HS and college but given the choice of sitting and winning championships or playing and losing, I’m on the court. I never played a game I went in thinking we would lose; maybe playing a million playground games and learning OTJ from older and better players before I ever wore a uniform helped me forge that attitude, I don’t know.
I get a kick out of all the people on this board who can predict the future; I forget who, but a poster asked one such “Nostradamus” to provide the winning lottery numbers; I’m pretty sure he or she is still waiting.
And obviously, I am generalizing, there probably are players who think as you do.

Last edited:

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
I thought the same thing. That's twice in 11 months two assistants have pulled a Delle Donne and disappeared in the middle of the night, figuratively speaking of course.

Shea taking a HC position in the off-season after being at UConn for 13 years does not compare to Jasmine Lister leaving in the middle of her second season without another job on the horizon.

Reaction Score
If she does do well there, in five years or so when Geno retires, she has to be on the short list of candidates to replace him. And as a candidate for that job, how do you turn down UConn other than you just don't want to follow

Nice to be going to a P5 school where you get the use of a corporate Jet. Shea made the right move going to the P5.

Reaction Score
I feel that I can predict this: She will have great coaching career wherever it takes her. Look for her one day to be an assistant for the National team.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

What difference would it make if the real reason for Shea's absence from San Antonio was because she was pursuing or had privately accepted the Vanderbilt job (or perhaps was interviewing for it)? Neither she nor Geno was required to make a full disclosure about something like that. Perhaps it was at a stage where it might still fall through -- in which case no one other than Geno and the parties involved would or should ever have known about it.

I fail to see anything scandalous in this sequence of events even if it occurred -- and of course we don't know whether it did or not. We will never know, nor should we.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Hold on. Per a prior post of mine, Stephanie White was set to return to VU on March 5 (per news article) and was not fired until April 5-6. This would leave 5-7 days until now for VU to vet/interview/offer any prospective hires. There is nothing during the NCAA tourney (March 21-April 4) that would indicate that Shea had already "checked out", especially for this job, especially if this job wasn't available until 7 days ago. Maybe Geno got tired of the same questions about Shea leaving to deal with a family member and covid. And with the short time period between rounds, study hall, game prep, covid tests, ad nauseam, maybe Geno, CD, and Jamelle had it all covered.

@JoePgh made the same points I was typing ...

For all we know, maybe she left after finding out a family member had exposed her, and even after two negative tests, it wasn't worth the risk to the rest of the staff and team. Just imagine knowing that you were the one that forced the team to forfeit the tournament? We don't know what we don't know and that's ok. The coaches' personal lives are just that and they don't have to answer to us.

And, just maybe, when this situation arose last week, she and Tom considered the move so that they would be together. I used the google to see Storrs to Lowell. Worcester is the mid-ish point. On a good day, it's 90 mins, and when not, 1:45 or longer. Coaching at this level is long hours, add on a hellish commute, makes it hard on a family.

(on edit - I did a 100 mile per day commute on the Merritt Parkway for 9 years. The only thing that kept me and the hub sane was that I worked from home on Mon and Fri, he worked close to home, and we were empty nesters, so the only impact was on us)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I find it very hard to believe that someone like Shea would abandon her team in the NCAA Tournament because of a pending job. I am 100% convinced that she would have been there till the end if she could have, and even if she had the Vandy job, would have finished the season first, and then announced. It amazes me that there are so many people who think Shea would have so little character as to abandon the team during the tournament.

Reaction Score

To quote Fox Mulder "Trust No One", The Covid story sounded a little fishy from the get go....Also wondering if the end of male coaches in wcbb is near...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom