It's Official: Shea Ralph Named Vanderbilt Coach | Page 10 | The Boneyard

It's Official: Shea Ralph Named Vanderbilt Coach

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I find it very hard to believe that someone like Shea would abandon her team in the NCAA Tournament because of a pending job. I am 100% convinced that she would have been there till the end if she could have, and even if she had the Vandy job, would have finished the season first, and then announced. It amazes me that there are so many people who think Shea would have so little character as to abandon the team during the tournament.

She wouldn’t of course and even the suggestion of it is unspeakably offensive to Shea.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Can Diana or Sue take her spot?
Either can, and either would be an excellent addition to his staff, but neither appears to be ready to retire from playing professionally. I imagine a front runner will emerge by the end of the week.

Geno probably has a candidate or two in mind. I wonder if Nakisha Sales would be interested in joining the staff? ? She’s currently an assistant at UCF. Geno is partial to hiring former players.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I realize that. I was being facetious and saying something equally ridiculous. Sorry you missed that.
I shouldn't have "replied" to another post. There were several folks who commented that players might follow her, including one of the "news" reporters who said he was sniffing 2 transfers.

My point was that players - and certainly not the quality of UConn players (never mind superstars like Paige) are rarely going to follow the assistant. There are cases, but a lot of them are not at top tier programs, in my opinion.

I did not miss that several posters made Paige remarks "tongue in cheek", but the reference to Aari was simply incorrect and rightly or wrongly I felt called to point it out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I find it very hard to believe that someone like Shea would abandon her team in the NCAA Tournament because of a pending job. I am 100% convinced that she would have been there till the end if she could have, and even if she had the Vandy job, would have finished the season first, and then announced. It amazes me that there are so many people who think Shea would have so little character as to abandon the team during the tournament.
Even Edsall didn't abandon his team, at least until a nano second after the end of the season.

I have to admit that I'm a little conflicted on this. I'm happy for Shea, I truly am, but I feel sorry to see her go. I do take some solace that Maysen shook off the Vandy mascot when he tried to hand her some gear. It is tough read a toddler's expression but I took it as her saying "I'll pass. Keep it you big headed freak. I'm here under protest."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You aren't serious, are you?

UCONN will continue to do EVERYTHING it has to do to keep the program top level.
Financial support and resources will continue to be there. UCONN will be extremely attractive to Shea to come back to UCONN.
I hope they like Nashville but don't fall in love with it.
Storrs is where Shea belongs.
Well yeah, I'm totally serious. Did UConn mbb remain at the same level a few years after Calhoun left? Did football stay at the same level after Edsall left the first time (still with a decent conference)? When program builders leave, stuff happens, usually not always good. And if you think UConn has the same financial resources as Vanderbilt, I have an old bridge for sale you might be interested in.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
She wouldn’t of course and even the suggestion of it is unspeakably offensive to Shea.
Suppose (hypothetically, since we'll never know), that she had to travel to Nashville sometime during the NCAA tournament to interview with the AD, the Dean, or the Chancellor. If she had traveled for that purpose, she wouldn't have been able to return to San Antonio because of COVID restrictions.

Then the public story wouldn't have been complete fiction. It would simply have been altered to suppress appropriately non-public information.

If that is what happened, she and Geno have nothing to apologize for.

Reaction Score
I apologize in advance for being the party pooper...Does anyone recall Brown's submission on Apr 2, 2021

I thought it was kind of odd when Geno was asked if they were able to go over different things with Shea and he kind of brushed it off saying what can she do she's not here..he did after awhile say it's per Ncaa rules she can't come back but couldn't help think he was maybe a little upset that she left..I may be totally off base but I expected him to say we go over things with her,she's been watching film,we talk daily ,we miss her not being here but there was none of that

Is i possible that this has been going on for a while?...even that the family issue was not exactly as publicly described.

It would be good to be able to put all this nonsense to bed.
You can put nonsense to bed by not repeating it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sales created a life for herself in FL, and a number of years later walked into the UCF gym and asked for a job. I think FL is her home and coaching was a surprising desire she developed - she even joked about how no one and especially Geno or she herself would have ever imagined she would be on a sideline some day. Doubt she is leaving FL for any coaching job.

Shea and Marisa have both landed at 'disaster' programs, with each team being a dumpster fire for the past decade. If they succeed in rebuilding their teams into successful perennial NCAA participants, they will have built ownership of those programs and it will be hard to believe they would leave. Their teams are P5 members and I suspect their schools will pay handsomely to retain them should they be successful.

And if they don't succeed, it will be hard for Uconn faithful to push for them as a succession candidate.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Suppose (hypothetically, since we'll never know), that she had to travel to Nashville sometime during the NCAA tournament to interview with the AD, the Dean, or the Chancellor. If she had traveled for that purpose, she wouldn't have been able to return to San Antonio because of COVID restrictions.

Then the public story wouldn't have been complete fiction. It would simply have been altered to suppress appropriately non-public information.

She didn't.

The job didn't even come open until after the national championship. Until Love, Hall, and Newby transferred, White was going to be able to finish out her contract.

There is no need to speculate that Shea left San Antonio for any other reason than what was disclosed.

Reaction Score

Or, far more likely, she would've said "We'll discuss it when our season is over." Do you really think Vanderbilt would force her to leave her team or else?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

So, just so we’re clear, you’re saying Shea abandoned her team and her coaches, including her former head coach and mentor, during the NCAA tournament so she could interview for a job that was not even available because the previous coach had not yet been fired. You must not think much of Shea. I do. That’s why it’s offensive.

Reaction Score
So if the job is offered to Shea and she decides to take it who do we fill her spot with. I know this may be premature but still fun to talk about.
There have to be at least 20 to 30 people on the Boneyard who believe themselves capable of filling that vacancy............:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I thought the same thing. That's twice in 11 months two assistants have pulled a Delle Donne and disappeared in the middle of the night, figuratively speaking of course.
Someone gets fired someone gets hired why doyou feel it happened in the sly that’s the business of coaching You conspiracy theory people are way off base

Reaction Score

Skype and zoom work very well for job interviews thinking she’s left the team to interview during the tournament is ridiculous just ridiculous I can’t believe I gave to read this hogwash

Reaction Score
Either can, and either would be an excellent addition to his staff, but neither appears to be ready to retire from playing professionally. I imagine a front runner will emerge by the end of the week. Geno probably has a candidate or two in mind. I wonder if Nakisha Sales would be interested in joining the staff? ? She’s currently an assistant at UCF. Geno is partial to hiring former player
Let’s see, living in sunny warm Florida or Connecticut............. it’s a no brainer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well yeah, I'm totally serious. Did UConn mbb remain at the same level a few years after Calhoun left?
Well he left for the 2013 season and they won a natty in 2014, so... yes?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I remember many years ago the columnist from Manchester that passed away said it that one day Jen would be taking over the UConn program when Geno stepped down. My brain isn't working this morning and can't remember his name.
That was Randy Smith. He's the one that asked "with the disparity in competition, how should we judge WCBB players; by how they play against the varsity or the how they play against JV?" That's been my standard ever since. Too many here treat both types of opposition the same, imo.

Reaction Score

Although I realize that the schools have very little integrity in these matters, I have to believe that Shea Ralph has more integrity than to interview for a job that isn't vacant yet let alone that her current team hadn't ended it's season yet. White wasn't even fired until April 6.

Reaction Score
Come on, players want to play, period, end of story. I was lucky enough to win my share in HS and college but given the choice of sitting and winning championships or playing and losing, I’m on the court. I never played a game I went in thinking we would lose; maybe playing a million playground games and learning OTJ from older and better players before I ever wore a uniform helped me forge that attitude, I don’t know.
I get a kick out of all the people on this board who can predict the future; I forget who, but a poster asked one such “Nostradamus” to provide the winning lottery numbers; I’m pretty sure he or she is still waiting.
And obviously, I am generalizing, there probably are players who think as you do.
if that was usually the case I think we'd have very fewer lousy teams out there............in the majority of cases, great players want to play with other great players and ultimately they want to win it all..........that's the UConn formula isn't it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom