It's Official: Shea Ralph Named Vanderbilt Coach | Page 7 | The Boneyard

It's Official: Shea Ralph Named Vanderbilt Coach

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s official!

Great news for Shea and her family. I have no doubt that she will be successful at Vandy. Congratulations and thank you to an individual who contributed to UConn WBB in every way possible and bleeds Husky blue.

Now we can all begin speculating about Shea’s replacement in Storrs.

Reaction Score
I wish only the best for Shea. Good for her. She has paid her dues without a doubt. This is a necessary step she has to take if she has any desire to return to Storrs as UConn's head coach in the future (if she would want to). I think that there is ample evidence out there to show that taking over a major basketball program without head coaching experience is a risky undertaking (see ND and Tennessee) while acknowledging that it can be done (Jeff Walz).

As to the impact on the UConn program moving forward, that will be interesting to see.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Shea with a conservative job statement :cool:

“It is with great honor and a full heart that I join Vanderbilt University as the next women’s basketball head coach,” Ralph said in a statement. “I have always been motivated and inspired by people who have a passionate pursuit of excellence. Vanderbilt’s rich, storied tradition of excellence speaks for itself, but I believe what sets us apart is the people. I am so excited to work alongside our amazing community in elevating our women’s basketball program back to an elite level. Together we will invest in each other and build a greatness that transcends the game of basketball.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think she will do great there. So well that she won't take the UConn job if offered.

Reaction Score
Good luck to Shea, one of my favorites and one of the toughest UConn players of all time. You didn’t want to be an opposing player going after a loose ball that Shea was also going after. We were devastated when she went down with that piercing scream and another ACL injury in 2001. With Shea and Sveta out chances for another national championship were diminished and it escaped us. With those two it probably would have been 5 in a row from 2000-2004.
We’ll miss you Shea!

Reaction Score
Above and beyond, you all are missing the point. Aari didn't follow Adia Barnes when she got the Arizona job. After the next year, Washington Head Coach Mike Neighbors departed for Arkansas. That's when Aari left Washington (and chose Arizona).
I realize that. I was being facetious and saying something equally ridiculous. Sorry you missed that.

Reaction Score
Great news for Shea and her family. I have no doubt that she will be successful at Vandy. Congratulations and thank you to an individual who contributed to UConn WBB in every way possible and bleeds Husky blue.

Now we can all begin speculating about Shea’s replacement in Storrs.
I wonder if Geno would give Dolson a shot? She recently said she wants to get into coaching, she has an ELECTRIC personality, and she would be an awesome recruiter, IMO.

Reaction Score
I think she will do great there. So well that she won't take the UConn job if offered.
If she does do well there, in five years or so when Geno retires, she has to be on the short list of candidates to replace him. And as a candidate for that job, how do you turn down UConn other than you just don't want to follow a coaching legend?

Reaction Score
I think she will be back..................this is for the experience. My .02

Reaction Score
I have hoped for a while that she would be the next head coach at Uconn, with Marissa returning to be the associate head coach. Looks like both have now landed head coaching jobs at power 5 schools. I hope they both find a lot of success at their current programs, and someday make their way back to CT. And if not, will continue to root for their respective programs.

Reaction Score
Hopefully none of the players want to go with her given the new transfer world we live in.

Reaction Score
Players have been transferring out of Vandy since the end of Balcomb's tenure. It's been a revolving door under White.

Seems to me Vandy should have the same advantage as Stanford, Duke, and Notre Dame: The degree is worth a lot. Moreover, Nashville is a great place. It's growing, has mild winters, and there are many things to do. And there's

Players have been transferring out of Vandy since the end of Balcomb's tenure. It's been a revolving door under White.

Seems to me Vandy should have the same advantage as Stanford, Duke, and Notre Dame: The degree is worth a lot. Moreover, Nashville is a great place. It's growing, has mild winters, and there are many things to do. And there's NFL and NHL.
You left out the best; the Grand 'Ol Opry!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Hopefully none of the players want to go with her given the new transfer world we live in.
Twitterverse already saying we lose a wing and a post to vandy

Reaction Score
And just how do you think they've been spending their summers?

Once again, the ratio of verbosity to actual knowledge on this thread is very, very high.
Yup. I’ve seen Geno at AAU tournaments interacting with the spectators. I’ve also seen Coach Q and others. Recruiting is not specifically a “one person’s” job. I’m sure Geno has no qualms about hitting the recruiting trails, if needed.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If she does do well there, in five years or so when Geno retires, she has to be on the short list of candidates to replace him. And as a candidate for that job, how do you turn down UConn other than you just don't want to follow a coaching legend?
My feeling is if she establishes a winning program at Vandy worthy of UConn consideration, why would she give that up for a no-win situation? Especially for what would probably be a pay cut. Mulkey left the nest to establish a new power, why not Shea?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom