It's Official: Shea Ralph Named Vanderbilt Coach | Page 12 | The Boneyard

It's Official: Shea Ralph Named Vanderbilt Coach

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Does she have to be a UConn grad? How about Karlie Samuelson?
You know, I like this observation for 2 reasons:
1. Geno recruited Karlie but she chose Stanford to play with Bonnie, so he clearly liked her
2. She is younger and can help transcend the age gap (not that that is a real concern) and be a closer mentor or person to talk to

Reaction Score
UCONN v Vandy.
Let me think.
One is supreme dominant program and the other might become a tourney participant.
Clearly UCONN will pay handsomely and there are other strong ties that are attractive about UCONN for Shea.
She'll be at UCONN eventually.
Wow. Actually try thinking realistically. What if she builds a successful program there? How much longer will Geno and CD stay here? I will guarantee that UConn will NOT pay Geno’s successor what they pay him. Will they pay more than a successful SEC team? Don’t know, but do know the SEC has more to offer than the Big East in terms of scheduling and resources.

Reaction Score
Not alleging anything.
I had found her name in the media guide and probably mentioned it my post here when I first observed this discrepancy a few years ago.
But the archived rosters do not include her name.
If you click on the wikipedia 2003-04 women's basketball roster, it is not there either.
I was not trying to do an exhaustive list of where her name appears and where it does not.
The archived UConn roster is an important place. It is missing there and the overwhelming majority of UConn WBB rosters listed on the web carry on this mistake from there. Few would check the media guide to get the roster. (I did when I first discovered this.)
When you say "her name has been wiped out," that certainly suggests you're alleging someone (UConn-related?) took the effort to erase any record of her.

Wikipedia is not affiliated with UConn. For all you know the person who made the page just forget her. No wiping-out involved.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
If by the best, you mean the worst; I agree with you. The Opry may have had it's day but that day is not today. I can't believe anyone would go for a second time.

I moved down here from Connecticut eight years ago and my wife and I go to lots of shows and clubs (pre-pandemic) but have been to the Opry just two or three times. We can watch the show on TV for free. Most of the audience is tourists -- whom I love since they keep my taxes low. (How low? I pay about 75% less on a slightly nicer house. Plus NO car tax and NO income tax. What ever they're paying Shea will go a lot further here then it would in CT. Home prices are up now though compared to when I came.) Same is true of the infamous Bluebird Cafe.

The local clubs and honky tonks give you your best entertainment value for your dollar. Plus there are many indoor and outdoor arenas and concert halls. The restaurant scene is also great here.

Reaction Score
Congratulations, Shea. It is well-deserved. Jen would make an excellent replacement for Shea. Another hard-nosed guard who played for UConn.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Has Harvard ever been called the Duke of the North?
Nah, we always call it the Princeton of New England, but it used to be called the boys adjunct school to Radcliff before Radcliff went coed. And of course a few people confuse it with that locksmiths trade school in New Haven when we don't spell out the connection to Radcliff.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Does she have to be a UConn grad? How about Karlie Samuelson?
Not sure if Karlie is ready to hang em up yet. She does have some experience coaching, at Vanguard U/NAIA. She has been banged up some this season in Spain. When she is on the court she is playing great in your face defense. Tara has often said Karlie will be a coach one day. We shall see.

Reaction Score
I truly feel like social media is a big part of the downfall of society. Why does everyone have to air their dirty laundry and grievances in public? I don’t know who this Culver woman is but if she knows White personally how about having a conversation with her. Her Twitter comment is performative, attention seeking and could potentially damage White’s job prospects going forward.
Social Media is the telephone tough guy of this generation!

Reaction Score
Tom has been hired by Vandy as Shea's assistant.
I am not a fan of husbands working for wives and vice versa. How do you keep even a perception of fairness with the other assistants? And why would anyone take that second assistant spot knowing they might not get the best assignments and opportunities for career growth? I once had a manager who hired his best friend for our small team. It was all downhill and I got out as quickly as I could.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Vandy Board on Shea

My favorite. "Her name reminds of a poorly named restaurant." (Chez Ralph)

Reaction Score
Wow. Actually try thinking realistically. What if she builds a successful program there? How much longer will Geno and CD stay here? I will guarantee that UConn will NOT pay Geno’s successor what they pay him. Will they pay more than a successful SEC team? Don’t know, but do know the SEC has more to offer than the Big East in terms of scheduling and resources.
Are you even a UCONN fan?
Doesn't sound like it.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Or, far more likely, she would've said "We'll discuss it when our season is over." Do you really think Vanderbilt would force her to leave her team or else?
The only thing they could force is her decision take the job or not. Except for the decision there is no way they were in a position to force anything. And this is for everyone, WCBB teams are not in it to win the Miss Congeniality award, to them it is combat, on the court, in recruiting, in the coaching dept. To think this deal wasn't being discussed during the tourney is probably naïve. That's the way these things work, doesn't make Shea a turncoat to want a shot at her own program, just makes her human.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The only thing they could force is her decision take the job or not. Except for the decision there is no way they were in a position to force anything. And this is for everyone, WCBB teams are not in it to win the Miss Congeniality award, to them it is combat, on the court, in recruiting, in the coaching dept. To think this deal wasn't being discussed during the tourney is probably naïve. That's the way these things work, doesn't make Shea a turncoat to want a shot at her own program, just makes her human.
Shea is a great hire for Vandy. There is no way they'd make that unreasonable demand of her. She take a hard pass if they did.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Here's the latest law school list from US News etc., from one through Notre Dame.

Yale University
New Haven, CT

Stanford University
Stanford, CA

Harvard University
Cambridge, MA

Columbia University
New York, NY
#4 (tie)

University of Chicago
Chicago, IL
#4 (tie)

New York University
New York, NY
#6 (tie)

University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA
#6 (tie)

University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA

University of California--Berkeley
Berkeley, CA

Duke University
Durham, NC
#10 (tie)

University of Michigan--Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor, MI
#10 (tie)

Northwestern University
Chicago, IL

Cornell University
Ithaca, NY

University of California--Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA

Georgetown University
Washington, DC

University of Texas--Austin
Austin, TX
#16 (tie)

Vanderbilt University
Nashville, TN
#16 (tie)

Washington University in St. Louis
St. Louis, MO
#16 (tie)

University of Southern California
Los Angeles, CA

Boston University
Boston, MA

University of Florida
Gainesville, FL

University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN
#22 (tie)

University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN
#22 (tie)

Reaction Score
I truly feel like social media is a big part of the downfall of society. Why does everyone have to air their dirty laundry and grievances in public? I don’t know who this Culver woman is but if she knows White personally how about having a conversation with her. Her Twitter comment is performative, attention seeking and could potentially damage White’s job prospects going forward.
Why social media shouldn’t be free. Make people pay a monthly subscription they’ll quit it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom