I Love It | Page 4 | The Boneyard

I Love It

Reaction Score
One things for sure, the AAC was never going to end up on the right side of that split.
Wrong. Most schools have been candidates for expansion. Including Tulane. I also can't see Rice being left behind and schools like Buffalo and ODU.

Reaction Score
I don't see how/why P5 would split and not include the Big East. Doesn't seem to be much of a downside to bringing along an extra 11 hoop teams.

One things for sure, the AAC was never going to end up on the right side of that split.
I used to be worried about the eventual split, but the more I think about it, we'd have never made the cut anyway. Conferences would get a lot smaller if that happened and it would look like the NFL

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I used to be worried about the eventual split, but the more I think about it, we'd have never made the cut anyway. Conferences would get a lot smaller if that happened and it would look like the NFL

Exactly. Why would anyone bring Wake Forest or Vanderbilt or Washington State?

If they split it’s going to be some super league of Texas Michigan Ohio State Florida etc.

Pretending you are navigating that is stupid. This nonsense is supposed to be entertainment - let’s start with that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't see how/why P5 would split and not include the Big East. Doesn't seem to be much of a downside to bringing along an extra 11 hoop teams.

The American will definitely be on the right side of it.

A bunch of small hoop playing basketball schools are gonna need prayers.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The American will definitely be on the right side of it.

A bunch of small hoop playing basketball schools are gonna need prayers.

The American is quite literally already on the outside having been relegated to the G5. Michigan, Texas, and Florida State are going to have a sudden change of heart and split revenue with Tulane?

The Big East is considered a major conference and won't touch any of the P5 football money and would bring eye balls and prestige to the hoops tourney. I don't see how they would take the American and not the Big East.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You are the guy who spent a billion electrons on why Robbie Frey shouldn’t be admitted to grad school - you might not get what is going on...
That's what killed my father on UConn. He met Robbie Frey, thought he was a class act. He had everything that a grad school should want and they said no just cuz.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That's what killed my father on UConn. He met Robbie Frey, thought he was a class act. He had everything that a grad school should want and they said no just cuz.

Upstater literally spent weeks saying that grad school for ELEMENTARY EDUCATION is too sacred so they couldn’t let in a guy who would be a perfectly good teacher who can also return a kickoff for a TD against Oklahoma.

Yeah that Oklahoma.

They are like 8-161 since chasing Frey away. Grad school admissions for public sector jobs that pay 5 figures.

Yeah we can totally do this football thing!

Reaction Score
You are the guy who spent a billion electrons on why Robbie Frey shouldn’t be admitted to grad school - you might not get what is going on...
That can't possibly be real, can it?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Everything about this is good. I am excited about potential matchups and the schadenfreude from the butthurt posters is pretty sweet too.

Which potential matchup is exciting you the most??

C

Chief00

It was clear that Aresco thought we were zero threat to leave. Same with ESPN. I’m with whaler on this, we needed to do something, the status quo wasn’t getting it done. Still, I’m waiting to see the actual details. Is fox going to give a scheduling assistance? Are they going to give us broadcast games? Is SNY picking up all our excess content, including football? If so, what are they paying for it? Is the Big East getting a new deal because were coming? Will that deal pass the gross value of the American deal? If not, will exceed the net value of the American deal? There’s a ton of information we need before we can really evaluate this. So right now it’s a Rorschach test as to whether or not you’re a football fan, more or less.
I agree Aresco and ESPN disregarded, used and abused us. When that happens in business you need to strike back vigorously. That’s what we did.
What we will find out is - Do we have a legitimate strategy for football or is it an afterthought?

Reaction Score
Do we have a legitimate strategy for football or is it an afterthought?

Yes, UConn has a legitimate strategy for football. It's called the "Put it in a box and bury it in the ground" strategy. That is what must happen since UConn just shot it in the head.

C

Chief00

While it’s part of the human condition, Chief generally thinks it’s a mistake to take the last few years of results and extrapolate the future.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Yes, UConn has a legitimate strategy for football. It's called the "Put it in a box and bury it in the ground" strategy. That is what must happen since UConn just shot it in the head.

Can we maybe wait to see what the athletic department comes up with before declaring the program dead and buried? We all see the options (MAC, C-USA, independent, AAC football only, found-your-own-video-game-conference) -- maybe they see an option we don't, or have guarantees we don't yet know about.

The news got out ahead of the institution and left them in a position where they can't comment on the football side. Maybe they made a jump to the Big East with NO plan for football whatsoever (unlikely), or maybe we should wait for the other shoe to drop before we all give up.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Can we maybe wait to see what the athletic department comes up with before declaring the program dead and buried? We all see the options (MAC, C-USA, independent, AAC football only, found-your-own-video-game-conference) -- maybe they see an option we don't, or have guarantees we don't yet know about.

The news got out ahead of the institution and left them in a position where they can't comment on the football side. Maybe they made a jump to the Big East with NO plan for football whatsoever (unlikely), or maybe we should wait for the other shoe to drop before we all give up.
Agreed. We just got a couple more football recruits according to the RE Twitter signal.

Maybe we are selling them on football joining the acc with a NDesque agreement for football.
That would be a shoe drop...

Reaction Score

The patient is lying on the ground with half his head shot away. This whole "Let's not jump to any conclusions just yet" narrative doesn't account for all that particulate brain matter splattered on the wall.

UConn just hitched its future to a basketball only conference that was formed in explicit opposition to football. The current members of that conference want UConn to establish its commitment by permanently removing football as a priority. Emphasis on "permanently". That requirement isn't going away. The AAC said "Nuh-uh" to UConn staying in as a football only member. The MAC and CUSA have both politely declined. Independence is a hospice. What does that leave? FCS? A new conference that might as well be FCS? At which point the administration has to ask "Why bother?" Just save the money. See the first comment about committing to a basketball only conference.

But maybe Fox can strong arm some other teams for a few games. Why would Fox do that? For a valueless UConn football team? For a UConn administration that is so obviously not committed to maintaining football as a sport? For the fan base? Have you noticed half the basketball board celebrating as they void their collective bladders on the body?

This is an exercise in managing UConn's withdrawl from football. They want to accomplish this task with as little trauma as possible. That's what all this "We aren't leaving FBS" talk is about. It's just morphine to make the dying easier.

Gotta feel for Randy Edsall. UConn really made a fool of him.

Reaction Score
I agree Aresco and ESPN disregarded, used and abused us. When that happens in business you need to strike back vigorously. That’s what we did.
What we will find out is - Do we have a legitimate strategy for football or is it an afterthought?

b)

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
The patient is lying on the ground with half his head shot away. This whole "Let's not jump to any conclusions just yet" narrative doesn't account for all that particulate brain matter splattered on the wall.

UConn just hitched its future to a basketball only conference that was formed in explicit opposition to football. The current members of that conference want UConn to establish its commitment by permanently removing football as a priority. Emphasis on "permanently". That requirement isn't going away. The AAC said "Nuh-uh" to UConn staying in as a football only member. The MAC and CUSA have both politely declined. Independence is a hospice. What does that leave? FCS? A new conference that might as well be FCS? At which point the administration has to ask "Why bother?" Just save the money. See the first comment about committing to a basketball only conference.

But maybe Fox can strong arm some other teams for a few games. Why would Fox do that? For a valueless UConn football team? For a UConn administration that is so obviously not committed to maintaining football as a sport? For the fan base? Have you noticed half the basketball board celebrating as they void their collective bladders on the body?

This is an exercise in managing UConn's withdrawl from football. They want to accomplish this task with as little trauma as possible. That's what all this "We aren't leaving FBS" talk is about. It's just morphine to make the dying easier.

Gotta feel for Randy Edsall. UConn really made a fool of him.
Good post until the Randy thing. He is either in on it or his stupid Sgt Schultz tweet means we may have hope.
Hope for the latter.

C

Chief00

That Sgt Schultz thing on his Twitter feed is sending the strangest message to someone who is suppose to project competence, leadership and confidence.

Reaction Score
That Sgt Schultz thing on his Twitter feed is sending the strangest message to someone who is suppose to project competence, leadership and confidence.
The guy is a total jackarse.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom