I Love It | The Boneyard

I Love It

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We don’t have enough details yet to know if it’s good or bad or a wash.

But they stopped monitoring the situation and did something.

Since 2003 they sat on their rear ends and got left behind.

Action. Decisive action.

Fortune favors the bold.

I LOVE IT

Reaction Score
Like it or not this is probably the best news we have had regarding our AD in years!
FWIW I met a guy on the driving range at my club today who approached me after seeing my UConn shirt. He is a BE guy and roomed with coach Hurley. He is also connected to people I will not mention on this board so it was really interesting to talk to him. He and his kids are super pumped to have UConn back in the Big East and quite honestly I feel the same way. They were really excited to get us back to MSG can’t wait for the BE Tourney when we are back. Maybe this move will put our program and Brand back on the map, who knows. Obviously the long term consequences are TBD but I’ll take this move until we figure that out.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
The great big time football in CT experiment gave a valiant effort. Surprised most, if not all, with the early success we were afforded.

But it failed. It was not Hathaways fault. Or randy leaving. Or anyone else's. It was bound to fail from the start. CT never will be a big time college football state.

So now it is time to focus on what we are.

We are. Uconn. College basketball capital of the world.

Reaction Score

Action. Decisive action.

Fortune favors the bold.

I LOVE IT
Well said!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It was clear that Aresco thought we were zero threat to leave. Same with ESPN. I’m with whaler on this, we needed to do something, the status quo wasn’t getting it done. Still, I’m waiting to see the actual details. Is fox going to give a scheduling assistance? Are they going to give us broadcast games? Is SNY picking up all our excess content, including football? If so, what are they paying for it? Is the Big East getting a new deal because were coming? Will that deal pass the gross value of the American deal? If not, will exceed the net value of the American deal? There’s a ton of information we need before we can really evaluate this. So right now it’s a Rorschach test as to whether or not you’re a football fan, more or less.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
A big . We’ren not going to be the ones looking from the outside in this time we’re going to be the ones making the moves first.

pj

Reaction Score
It was clear that Aresco thought we were zero threat to leave. Same with ESPN. I’m with whaler on this, we needed to do something, the status quo wasn’t getting it done. Still, I’m waiting to see the actual details. Is fox going to give a scheduling assistance? Are they going to give us broadcast games? Is SNY picking up all our excess content, including football? If so, what are they paying for it? Is the Big East getting a new deal because were coming? Will that deal pass the gross value of the American deal? If not, will exceed the net value of the American deal? There’s a ton of information we need before we can really evaluate this. So right now it’s a Rorschach test as to whether or not you’re a football fan, more or less.

I wanted to protect the football program but we were in an abusive relationship where the American Conference and ESPN were exploiting UConn and giving nothing in return. You have to leave and find partners who respect you and treat you fairly.

If the American Conference and ESPN come to their senses, they'll take the $10 million exit fee and invite UConn as a football only or football+baseball only on terms similar to Navy. UConn is worth it with a good size market and potential to improve the football program. But we probably have to exit and pay the $10 million before they'll make the offer. This is a case where the governor should intercede with ESPN to protect UConn football.

If ESPN and the American don't go to bat, hopefully there is an arrangement with Fox and the B12 to get a few games at least.

Reaction Score
They acted, all right. They 86ed their football program. Why would the MAC or CUSA take UConn football as a one-off? It doesn't bring any additional value to justify further dividing the revenue. And if you go independent, you might as well save the money and shut the program down. All for the NBE that five years from now is not going to look new and exciting amd flashy. Right now it's being sold as a memory. The reality will be different.

Reaction Score
It does seem like a UConn looking out for UConn move for a change. Will wait for the whole particulars.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

Action. Decisive action.

Fortune favors the bold.

I LOVE IT
It will be interesting to see what happens monetarily. If we made this move to reduce losses I'm not sure that counts as being decisive or proactive. If we made this move getting a much better payoff I agree with you.

And if we significantly move the viewership numbers for Fox, things can get very exciting for UConn.

Reaction Score
Sure I was hoping for a P5 conference. But the tea leaves were easy to read. That left few choices. I’ll take my chances in the NBE and let football fend for themselves. It is not perfect, but it is better than wasting away in the AAC. JMHO.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see what happens monetarily. If we made this move to reduce losses I'm not sure that counts as being decisive or proactive. If we made this move getting a much better payoff I agree with you.

And if we significantly move the viewership numbers for Fox, things can get very exciting for UConn.

They may end up better off financially but it won’t be because of big TV dollars.

This move gives Hurley the platform to win National Championships.

Football was never in ten thousand years compete in the AAC - if they get them in the MAC and bowling becomes a regular activity things will be just peachy.

I used to joke that Randy Edsall is the perfect MAC coach - he may get to prove me right.

Reaction Score
Nice piece by Dana O'Neill

Reaction Score
The great big time football in CT experiment gave a valiant effort. Surprised most, if not all, with the early success we were afforded.

But it failed. It was not Hathaways fault. Or randy leaving. Or anyone else's. It was bound to fail from the start. CT never will be a big time college football state.

Just think, Temple has beaten us to the punch.

Reaction Score

Yay.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just think, Temple has beaten us to the punch.

No they haven’t. They are now the northeast outlier in a league with no peers.

They are going to be playing first round AAC games against Tulsa in Dallas in front of 395 people.

They hit a couple of football hires and did pretty well. They will be back to being Temple because nobody hits every hire and look how fast theirs leave

Reaction Score
Nice piece by Dana O'Neill

We’re not going home. The kids we raised moved away and now we are withered and need to move in with them lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom