Georgetown Postgame Thread

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Um... ugh.
Geno must have considered long and hard putting Paige in boot and all. :oops:
wayne knight laughing GIF

Reaction Score
I'm not really surprised, this UConn team is pretty much what I expected preseason. For the most part this is basically the same level team as last year. They swapped out their two best players, Dangerfield and Walker for Bueckers and Westbrook. In overall effect it's basically a wash but against good teams, Dangerfield's experience will be missed. Without ONO their interior defense is non existent and they've got very little inside offense. ONO and Williams have barely progressed if at all and Edwards could've potentially been the biggest improvement especially inside but she's just not there yet. As for bench contribution, Muhl and McLean are basically Bent and Irwin. The other top 4-5 teams are not as good as last year but UConn will struggle to get to the FF. Elite 8 is a realistic goal IMO.

Reaction Score
Usually I'm amused at Geno's antics at the halftime interview, when he is dissatisfied with the team's performance. But today I just thought he was just grumpy and abrasive.

In junior high, I had a math teacher who said "If one or two people flunk a quiz, it's their fault. If everyone fails, it's the teacher's fault." Today was Geno's fault.
I wouldn't go as far as "fault", but Geno seems in a funk lately - negative without a hint of redemptive humor or good nature. He recruited these athletes. I don't think there's often a moment when a UWBB player isn't making full effort. I'm with you on "grumpy and abrasive."

Reaction Score
Usually I'm amused at Geno's antics at the halftime interview, when he is dissatisfied with the team's performance. But today I just thought he was just grumpy and abrasive.

In junior high, I had a math teacher who said "If one or two people flunk a quiz, it's their fault. If everyone fails, it's the teacher's fault." Today was Geno's fault.
Maybe he is just tired of coaching after doing it for the better part of four decades? Plus he's old. Isn't grumpy the normal disposition for people in their late-60s and older?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

In JV basketball I had a coach tell me he can prepare me but he can’t go out there and play for me. Geno was grumpy and abrasive back then too, but he was also correct.

Reaction Score
Sort of agree with you. I usually am anxious waiting for the replays to be posted but after this game, not too anxious. I will watch it and just have to admit that it wasn't a game with a whole bunch of highlights.

I was also wondering why we weren't in a zone defense more. In the first half it seemed like it was working but we were in man defense a lot more, it seemed. Could be because of who was on the court? Same with the full court pressure.
Seems like every game we go to zone we do well, then Geno goes back to man to man and our opposition goes on a run. Switching away from zone to man at TN almost cost us the game. I know Geno has always favored man defense but the trend is consistent.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Seems like every game we go to zone we do well, then Geno goes back to man to man and our opposition goes on a run. Switching away from zone to man at TN almost cost us the game. I know Geno has always favored man defense but the trend is consistent.
I think you have that backwards mostly. The switch to zone was what save our behinds against TN. Prior to switching to zone we were giving up offensive rebounds like they going out of style and Rae Burrell was on her way to being POY.

Reaction Score
I’m really unsure whether or not it’s a good thing Liv knocked down two 3’s today………
It can't be a bad thing, Geno has been begging for someone who can make 3's so you know they have been practicing them a lot. Last game maybe not such a good idea when they are not falling, but in a game like today where they were dominating why not? A big that can consistently make the tres can raise havoc with the opponents defense. She does not have the body mass of AE so if she can create a mismatch from out side I hope it develops as part of her game. As long as she follows by going to the hoop for a rebound of course. ;)
UConn Full Box Score
No attack mattlow 710 but that had a typo or seven. Here is another.
Taking that many 3’s? No thanks. I hope that’s not going to be a new regular occurrence!
No attack here either but I disagree, the 3 has become a very important part of the game. They need to develop the part of the game and today was a good day to work on it. I'm sure Geno will address the situation if needed.

A win is just that, take it and move on. The thing that upset me the most today was when they would put the camera on Paige. Even with the mask on you could see in her eyes she was not a happy camper. Hope her and Anna are both back asap.
I have no problem with an off game that is still a blowout after a tough over hyped game. Some have to realize the age of the players and the fact they are students with multiple obligations in very trying times. Maybe I'm being soft as I never was as a player or a coach but I'm giving them a mulligan on this one. :D

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno Post Game Presser. Alot of Dripping Sarcasm

Like at the end, he is going to the Mens College Hockey game and he expects the passing to be much better. Maybe he should have his team make passes with hockey sticks.

My Personal Favorite

When asked about whether he is ok about Liv and Aubrey taking 3's, he is reasonably supportive and says that is how the game is evolving but then the follow up that these shots are taken so early in the shot clock.
Geno said your question shows you are being nostalgic. Keep in mind if our team makes 3 or 4 more passes, the other team will be taking the 3pt shot. ??

Reaction Score
I'm not really surprised, this UConn team is pretty much what I expected preseason. For the most part this is basically the same level team as last year. They swapped out their two best players, Dangerfield and Walker for Bueckers and Westbrook. In overall effect it's basically a wash but against good teams, Dangerfield's experience will be missed. Without ONO their interior defense is non existent and they've got very little inside offense. ONO and Williams have barely progressed if at all and Edwards could've potentially been the biggest improvement especially inside but she's just not there yet. As for bench contribution, Muhl and McLean are basically Bent and Irwin. The other top 4-5 teams are not as good as last year but UConn will struggle to get to the FF. Elite 8 is a realistic goal IMO.

At least from what we see on TV, chemistry seems much better this year. I know it’s January, but we haven’t played that many games. It‘s just too early to know what can be in the future.

Reaction Score
Curious comment by Geno about UCONN having players that don’t respond to coaching. I sense his frustration is growing because of what he doesn’t see: can point to a player that has improved since the beginning of the season ( perhaps Evina) and can’t point to a single returning player that is playing significantly better than last year. That is not normal for UCONN WBB teams and probably what Geno meant when he said that makes UCONN a lot like other programs- perish the thought.
While Geno is on top of my list for coaches, I have to wonder why he doesn't have any plays for the bigs, particularly when Aubrey and ONO are in game. After TN, someone mentioned a two low scheme, one where they pass to each other. I love Aubrey starting but when she doesn't get any offensive rebounds,
Tough game to watch. Really didn't look like UCONN brand of basketball. Perhaps the players a bit tired and emotionally drained from the Tennessee game. I was hoping for better leadership and execution especially given the talent gap between the two teams. My thoughts on the players:

• Liv - Even though her stats were decent I didn't think Liv played a great game. She has some baffling plays for someone who should dominate a team such as Georgetown. She seems hesitant to mix it up in the post and settles now with jump shooting, which is fine if she's playing against someone like A. Boston, but not against Georgetown. Her aggressiveness just wasn't there tonight, where you'd want her to say "i'm going to score 50 on these guys"
  • CWill - Also played Ok. final stat line was ok, but boy her 3 pt shooting was not there today, even worse than usual and all of them were pretty open shots. Without Paige and Anna, we are a dreadfully bad shooting team. I'm beginning to accept that she's a good No.2 or No. 3 on a good husky team, but is not consistent enough for her to be a no.1. Hope to get at least 1 of those two back for Arkansas.
  • Evina - She plays under control almost always and can do so many things even on a bad knee. She won't wow anyone with her athleticism but she has just enough to make her game very effective. I think after Paige, I believe she will end up being the second best 3 point shooter on the team. Anna could be there but she just doesn't get enough minutes now and with her hesitancy to shoot most games, I'm really hoping E can be that 35-40% 3 pt shooter behind Paige. We desperately need that additional threat on the perimeter especially since ONO has shown to be ineffective against good bigs.
  • Aubrey - Solid game, performed as I expected. If she can ever give us a consistent mid range game, with an occasional 3 pointer, I think this is the AG we will get for the rest of the season.
  • Nika - She had an up and down game. I really want to root for the kid, but to be honest I think she's a slightly better player than Molly Bent. Her first quarter, I really thought she add no value to the team, since offensively it was 4 against 5. Defensively she was getting beat by her man on multiple occasions. She played better in different stretches, but I just don't feel confident that she will be impactful when UCONN plays the better teams. I hope she can get better during her time here, but right now she to me is really the 8th or 9th best player on the team.
  • AEdwards - She seems to have regressed a little this game. She feels a little unsure of herself, especially against zone, and her feel around the basket seems to have gotten worse since the beginning of the year. Not sure if the focus is as sharp, but i'm hoping that she gets more minutes and have more plays run for her, because she needs to be an important piece for us to make it to the FF or win a national championship.
  • Mir - She had good effort today. Still very raw in terms of offensive understanding, but she's down low with bigger players most of the time when she has opportunity to score. What would help is her ability to play around the foul line with a jumper and draw the defense and either shoot when defense sags or drive finish or drive dish.
  • Piath i thought did decently with her minutes. A couple of nice defensive plays.
Good assessments. Have to agree regarding Nika - she does not appear to have either the offensive or defensive skills of low D1 level guards. Recommend that we put in some plays between Aubrey and ONO since the high low offense is bogging down. Geno keeps saying the players aren't following his coaching but how long does it take to see that the current schemes for the two bigs is not working. We are winning but don't expect this to continue against the better teams.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't go as far as "fault", but Geno seems in a funk lately - negative without a hint of redemptive humor or good nature. He recruited these athletes. I don't think there's often a moment when a UWBB player isn't making full effort. I'm with you on "grumpy and abrasive."
Coco, I agree that the 4th Q zone saved us - after this move we went up by 9. The last few minutes, we went back to man. That was when TN went on their run that got it down to 2 (prior to Paige's clutch 3).

Reaction Score
Maybe he is just tired of coaching after doing it for the better part of four decades? Plus he's old. Isn't grumpy the normal disposition for people in their late-60s and older?
I don’t know about you, but I’m in my 50’s, newly retired and grouchy as all hell. Been stuck in the house for a year, can’t go out to eat, or see friends or do anything normal. It‘s Connecticut, it is winter and the sun hasn’t been out for more than a few minutes in weeks. Personally, I’m a bit surprised that the team is still functioning at all. Oh, and I don’t think he’d appreciate ‘old‘ being used to describe him.

Reaction Score
Evina and Aubrey were the two best things about UConn today. Evina is shooting a really nice ball right now. Williams needs to stop thinking she’s Stephen Curry and get back to slashing and driving for her pull up shot versus hoisting up 3’s.

I am pulling for Nika. She had some good moments today, followed by some bad ones, but you can tell she cares a ton about the game and team.
Evina and Aubrey were the only good things about UConn today.

Reaction Score
Geno Post Game Presser. Alot of Dripping Sarcasm

Like at the end, he is going to the Mens College Hockey game and he expects the passing to be much better. Maybe he should have his team make passes with hockey sticks.

My Personal Favorite

When asked about whether he is ok about Liv and Aubrey taking 3's, he is reasonably supportive and says that is how the game is evolving but then the follow up that these shots are taken so early in the shot clock.
Geno said your question shows you are being nostalgic. Keep in mind if our team makes 3 or 4 more passes, the other team will be taking the 3pt shot. ??

Watching these post-game pressers and half time interview, it just feels like Geno is not enjoying coaching as much as before, don't know if it is due to Covid interruption or what, but his tone feels different.

Reaction Score
I don't work for SNY. If you disagree with their pick for POG, you gotta lodge your complaint with them.
Then you have to make clear that you are quoting SNY. I had better things to do than to watch their post game coverage.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Watching these post-game pressers and half time interview, it just feels like Geno is not enjoying coaching as much as before, don't know if it is due to Covid interruption or what, but his tone feels different.

He is very explicit about that and he does connect it to the Covid environment. He says he just does not have the same feeling for this and it is just feels like a day to day job to perform. I take it to be more hyperbole but he is a guy who has experienced the highest highs with crowds and high stakes and I guess he misses it more than may be expected.

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
2nd half was horrendous! Geno is correct, some of these players are not getting it. They look like an average women's basketball team!
sorry, while I agree 100% I am unable to hit the like button. Nothing in this game to like.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Biggest mystery: why ONO didn't get 10 bunnies down low. If she wasn't willing to use her height to overpower GTown she won't against any other team. AE is a big, ONO is not.
I think that question has a simple answer. For the entire game, Georgetown played a zone defense which was obviously designed to make it as difficult as possible to get the ball into the low post. Whenever Olivia tried to make herself available for an entry pass to the low post, she was at least double teamed and even triple teamed.

In that situation, attempting to pass into the post is not the correct play. The ballhandler should take advantage of the acres of defensive space that have been vacated by passing to the most open perimeter player. After a few of those passes, a good shooter should have a wide open shot, or the defense will have reacted by leaving open a passing lane into the post. Or Liv can come higher where she will be more open.

As I saw it, that is exactly what UConn was trying to do. It would have worked better if more jump shots were falling.

I have become persuaded that Liv's optimal development path is to make that midrange jump shot highly reliable. She has a better chance of achieving that than she does of becoming the next Stef Dolson or Kara Wolters down low.

Her next priority after that is to become an exceptional passer from the HIGH post, as Stef was.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is a really tough year for everyone. Just ask yourself where this year ranks in your life. I’ve put on weight, haven’t seen my son in person in over a year, haven’t gone on vacation or out to eat in almost a year and I’m cranky as all hell. It’s a wonder my wife doesn’t shoot me to put me out of my misery as well as hers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom