Georgetown Postgame Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
I think that question has a simple answer. For the entire game, Georgetown played a zone defense which was obviously designed to make it as difficult as possible to get the ball into the low post. Whenever Olivia tried to make herself available for an entry pass to the low post, she was at least double teamed and even triple teamed.

In that situation, attempting to pass into the post is not the correct play. The ballhandler should take advantage of the acres of defensive space that have been vacated by passing to the most open perimeter player. After a few of those passes, a good shooter should have a wide open shot, or the defense will have reacted by leaving open a passing lane into the post. Or Liv can come higher where she will be more open.

As I saw it, that is exactly what UConn was trying to do. It would have worked better if more jump shots were falling.

I have become persuaded that Liv's optimal development path is to make that midrange jump shot highly reliable. She has a better chance of achieving that than she does of becoming the next Stef Dolson or Kara Wolters down low.

Her next priority after that is to become an exceptional passer from the HIGH post, as Stef was.
She is running out of time to be exceptional at anything. She is a very good college player, as is CW. It is really unfair to expect anything more from either of them. IMO, they are both role players; Evina and Paige are the two studs.

Reaction Score
This is a really tough year for everyone. Just ask yourself where this year ranks in your life. I’ve put on weight, haven’t seen my son in person in over a year, haven’t gone on vacation or out to eat in almost a year and I’m cranky as all hell. It’s a wonder my wife doesn’t shoot me to put me out of my misery as well as hers.

I really have not noticed. You seem like the same wise old panda you were before. :p

Reaction Score
I sense these issues are going on throughout college basketball due to all the postponements and cancellations. Coaches are struggling to develop players and teams when they have no continuity in their schedule. When was the last time Stanford lost two games in a row? We haven't seen any truly dominant team this season, and I doubt that we will.
I’m a little concerned about Geno actually, he seems to be having a very difficult time with the inconsistencies and lack of improvement of this team. I just hope he can put this season in the rear view mirror and rediscover his old attitude and put one last 3 to 6 year hurt on women’s basketball before he rides off into the sunset.

Reaction Score
This is a really tough year for everyone. Just ask yourself where this year ranks in your life. I’ve put on weight, haven’t seen my son in person in over a year, haven’t gone on vacation or out to eat in almost a year and I’m cranky as all hell. It’s a wonder my wife doesn’t shoot me to put me out of my misery as well as hers.
Totally get it. The only people I’ve been in the same room with since last March are a Doctor and a Nurse. It sucks

Reaction Score
Watching these post-game pressers and half time interview, it just feels like Geno is not enjoying coaching as much as before, don't know if it is due to Covid interruption or what, but his tone feels different.
Yes. I tried to comment on that the other day. I thought that some of the players could benefit from more effusive praise when they deserved it. Geno seems monotone at least to the press. I'd love to be a fly on the wall, like we were with the HBO series. I was super impressed with his messages to the players as shown in that series. Helped to have the big 4 and a freshman Danger. I wonder if Geno ever "goes off" on the team. After today, I felt like throwing something. I wonder if he ever tips over the tray of oranges or throws a clipboard or chair. Probably not. Too old-school of a thought?
Seems like it works if not overdone and/or it's timed properly.
I remember my college coach threw us out of practice one day. We had to pull together in the locker room and the captain went back out to tell coach that we were ready to come back. Cool stuff!

Reaction Score
She is running out of time to be exceptional at anything. She is a very good college player, as is CW. It is really unfair to expect anything more from either of them. IMO, they are both role players; Evina and Paige are the two studs.
Agree with your points. I think CW is out of position. I do not think she's effective on the wing. I like her on the baseline, "short corner". She can hit the short pull up J and she can attack the rim with either hand, no more that 4 or 5 dribbles. She's undersized there but that's not unprecedented. From my time, Adrian Dantley- only 6'5" but strong, skilled, great scorer. Put him on the wing 23 feet from the hoop- not so much. CW's too far from the hoop to be effective at anything.

Reaction Score
Agree with your points. I think CW is out of position. I do not think she's effective on the wing. I like her on the baseline, "short corner". She can hit the short pull up J and she can attack the rim with either hand, no more that 4 or 5 dribbles. She's undersized there but that's not unprecedented. From my time, Adrian Dantley- only 6'5" but strong, skilled, great scorer. Put him on the wing 23 feet from the hoop- not so much. CW's too far from the hoop to be effective at anything.
Go back one generation to Elgin Baylor, with exactly the same game at a higher level. Also 6’5”.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
As much as people want to ? on Anna, she and Paige are the two best passers on the team. If you turned on the TV today expecting the offense to look anything close to what we’ve seen earlier, you’re just delusional. We had a weird starting five, we saw a lot of weird rotations, and we saw players who were trying to do too much that they’re not very good at to make up for Paige being out and a spunky Croatian who was thrown into the fire and is lucky it was only Georgetown.

Be thankful this didn’t happen before Tennessee and don’t stew. It’s bad for everyone’s blood pressure.

Reaction Score
39-11, at half, with an irritating Culmo saying how bad we were. Didn't bother to watch second half and I guess I didn't miss much.

Reaction Score
Go back one generation to Elgin Baylor, with exactly the same game at a higher level. Also 6’5”.
Good one! Could you see CW operating closer to the basket?
Both D.C. guys. That's where I'm from. Baylor- Spingarn, NE DC, 15 blocks from the Capitol

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I don’t know about you, but I’m in my 50’s, newly retired and grouchy as all hell. Been stuck in the house for a year, can’t go out to eat, or see friends or do anything normal. It‘s Connecticut, it is winter and the sun hasn’t been out for more than a few minutes in weeks. Personally, I’m a bit surprised that the team is still functioning at all. Oh, and I don’t think he’d appreciate ‘old‘ being used to describe him.
check back in 20 years, it's as good as it's going to get. The age part that is.

Reaction Score
I can just imagine how I would feel as the head coach today. Losing my hair, gaining weight, emotional distress.
Geno is a human being. A great hall of fame coach. He almost always knows what is going on. Today's kids are just different...yes they seem to respect the coaching staff....but time after time...they just tune out. Geno at halftime showed human frustration...as he should have. He picked the players and worked hard to get them. Unfortunately they are of such a different generation....should I use the term generation gap.
Yes, most all other coaches have difficulties with the above. Geno will keep working with what he has...and he has a lot. I mentioned that Paige should not even be considered for Georgetown, but let us fans all hope that PB will be ready to go. If she is not at least 95%, then she must be left to heal properly. The team seems to flow better when Evina is up top. She has the maturity and skill to see the floor well. Arkansas should be a handful and all hands on deck. Go girls!

Reaction Score
Yes, the second half was awful, but there were some hopeful signs in the game. The offense was stagnant, but the first-half defense was really good. They obviously made a concerted effort to make up for what they were lacking.

I thought Muhl looked 100% better than she has. She stopped a lot of dribble drives, which she hadn't been doing in earlier games, played some good team defense.

This is a very young team; they had three freshmen on the court for a lot of the game, so I think we need to temper our expectations a bit when they're missing their best player and another who really helps the flow on offense.

Let's hope Paige is back for the Arky game and Anna isn't far behind.
Yes, 3 frosh ,plus a soph, played lots of minutes. People here ,and Geno, need to calm down. He's looked a bit hyper on the sidelines since the season started. Age? Pandemic?

Reaction Score
I can just imagine how I would feel as the head coach today. Losing my hair, gaining weight, emotional distress.
Geno is a human being. A great hall of fame coach. He almost always knows what is going on. Today's kids are just different...yes they seem to respect the coaching staff....but time after time...they just tune out. Geno at halftime showed human frustration...as he should have. He picked the players and worked hard to get them. Unfortunately they are of such a different generation....should I use the term generation gap.
Yes, most all other coaches have difficulties with the above. Geno will keep working with what he has...and he has a lot. I mentioned that Paige should not even be considered for Georgetown, but let us fans all hope that PB will be ready to go. If she is not at least 95%, then she must be left to heal properly. The team seems to flow better when Evina is up top. She has the maturity and skill to see the floor well. Arkansas should be a handful and all hands on deck. Go girls!
Nice post!
I'm not giving him that copout, "kids are different....". He's cagey. He knows how to play the press and the fans. He's not fooling me with that one. Did you hear about the Neanderthal that was complaining to his mate that he couldn't get his kids to listen to him.
Did you see the Poet Laureate the other day? What I saw was close to perfection. Generation Gap? Huh?
Geno's got young people like that on his team this year. Come on Geno, you're on the Rushmore of coaches.
Coach em up! John Wooden ever complain about the generation of kids? Coach K?
Give that thread a rest Coach. You got this!

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Yes, 3 frosh ,plus a soph, played lots of minutes. People here ,and Geno, need to calm down. He's looked a bit hyper on the sidelines since the season started. Age? Pandemic?
Yes perhaps, consider in past years with crowds and all the generated excitement while we watched Geno was a smaller part of the TV coverage. Other than showing an occasional shot of the cardboard cutouts, other than Geno what else is there?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Seems to me there is a rather simple solution to your big issue: don't watch the games.
200.gif

Reaction Score
And 7 of 18 on FGs, double Ugg. Only 2 RBs, triple Ugg
And 3 of those 7 FGs were lay-up drill lay-ups with no one near her. Without those gimme’s she is 4 of 15 on 2 point shots. Do that math.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
More than a couple posts here (and Geno in the postgame Q & A) mentioned the lack of offense in the low post and lane, and the lack of ball movement via passing. Indeed, much of the game saw three very static guards positioned on the deep perimeter passing the ball back and forth, putting very little pressure on— or forcing defensive movement by— the G'town zone. Passes into the lane area require cuts timed correctly, but often Aubrey and Ono did not make cuts when and where a pass could get to them. If they did cut, they too often stood statically, easily located by the zone. In short, guards and center/forwards were not seeing each other to get cuts and positions that made passing possible. And when the ball was at the high post, I rarely saw baseline cuts or backdoor cuts to the basket. Static . . . static . . . static. Much work needs to be done on cutting and timing.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
And 3 of those 7 FGs were lay-up drill lay-ups with no one near her. Without those gimme’s she is 4 of 15 on 2 point shots. Do that math.
Your math is messed up. Christyn was 7 for 18 overall in her shooting (39%) on 2's and 3's combined. Since she was 2-for-10 on 3's, that implies that she was 5-for-8 (62%) on 2's. Without the layups that you mentioned, she was 2-for-5 on 2-point shots (40%).

Reaction Score
Your math is messed up. Christyn was 7 for 18 overall in her shooting (39%) on 2's and 3's combined. Since she was 2-for-10 on 3's, that implies that she was 5-for-8 (62%) on 2's. Without the layups that you mentioned, she was 2-for-5 on 2-point shots (40%).
Thanks! I was hoping someone would point that out. (Actually, the box score says she was 2-12 from three, so she was 5 for 6 from two. No one could complain about that.)

Reaction Score
I should have seen that. Thank you for the correction. Also, to Christyn’s credit, one of her made bunnies was the result of a nifty steal by her.

Reaction Score
The first half was better only because UConn pressured Georgetown the entire half, forcing lots of turnovers and easy baskets. With no pressure in the 2nd half, UConn struggled to run their offense.
I agree 100%, once we stopped the press and went man, it was like a whole different game. If we would have kept the pressure on it would have been a different outcome. Everyone on the board can agree the game was over at halftime, we literally went into cruise control in the 2nd half. Plus in the 4th when Westbrook went out of the game, the game really went in another direction. The team just looked out of sorts in the 2nd half, un-UConn like.
But this game did give Mir a little confidence in herself. I don't really think we had a star of game, but Westbrook is truly improving every game.

Reaction Score
I’m a little concerned about Geno actually, he seems to be having a very difficult time with the inconsistencies and lack of improvement of this team. I just hope he can put this season in the rear view mirror and rediscover his old attitude and put one last 3 to 6 year hurt on women’s basketball before he rides off into the sunset.
I think Geno has put himself in a difficult position. I don't buy the "they are young" comments since their struggles are against all level teams. While Aubrey deserves to start, when in the offense tends to slow down. In the same sense, the offense Geno seems insistent to make work does not always provide either Aubrey, or especially ONO, with the ball in the best position for them to score. Is it the players or the offensive scheme? Don't know but finding the answer will mean we finish in either the Top 10 or the Top 4.

Reaction Score
Couple of random observation /opinions

Find the Negative comments about players
Individually to be more than a bit much

this years while very talented has many players
With the same strengths not having
Any players who are natural post up type scorers or “great” 3 point shooters contributes to inconsistent offense
This team has very good players and a potentially great perhaps generational player

It also seems that the “aura” that surrounded UConn seems to have faded a bit. Teams do not seem to be intimidatrd
As they were in the past.

Many who contribute seem to overrstimate
The UConn talent and base their view on
High school rankings and not actual play
In college

Also for those who crittize coach GA for
Switching form zone to man to man for the
Final few possessions a bit of badketball
101. A zone is designed to take away inside scoring while conceding the outside shot
With 9 point lead and little time left denying the 3point shot was the obvious move which the man to man did.

hopefully the team will be able to complete
Their schedule, stay healthy.improve and
Have a chance to compete for a championship

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69