Georgetown Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno's take on Paige and Anna. Paige is day-to-day, and hopefully ready to go by Tuesday. Anna's issue has evidently been something that's been a problem for some time. and her return is definitely uncertain.

Reaction Score
Anna lacks confidence in her shot. You can get away with that against a lesser opponent, but you can't get way with it against top ranked teams. Did I miss something or were DePaul and Marquette left out of the poll of who is UConn's toughest Big East Opponent? Their names didn't show on my screen. Maybe that's why the poll showed other, not that fans were thinking of ND.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Anna lacks confidence in her shot. You can get away with that against a lesser opponent, but you can't get way with it against top ranked teams. Did I miss something or were DePaul and Marquette left out of the poll of who is UConn's toughest Big East Opponent? Their names didn't show on my screen. Maybe that's why the poll showed other, not that fans were thinking of ND.
Geno's update on Anna's health indicates she's been dealing with a problem for some time. I have to wonder how much her leg issue has impacted her movement and ability to shoot the ball.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Definitely a poorly played game from a UConn standpoint and standard. I'll give Nika a pass. She's a frosh still learning. But she has the capability to be a strong contributor. It will come.

Evina was her steady self. She is the anchor.

The rest not so good. CW and Liv are what they are.

As to Geno's comments, I get the frustration. If you have ever coached any form of a team you know. Endless hours of work, coaching, instructing guiding and then SPLAT!!!!!!!!!

Not having Paige and Anna available really shows how important both are. We need both healthy and on the floor together.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I sense these issues are going on throughout college basketball due to all the postponements and cancellations. Coaches are struggling to develop players and teams when they have no continuity in their schedule. When was the last time Stanford lost two games in a row? We haven't seen any truly dominant team this season, and I doubt that we will.
Perhaps COVID is to blame but perhaps we should also hold these players more accountable. AE was frighteningly bad today. As you pointed out ONO resorted to that tomahawk chop today and was out hustled to several contested rebounds by players that were 1/2 foot shorter than her when she had inside position. Nika first two fouls would qualify for assault in most of the 50 states. Quite honestly it was rather embarrassing that Geno had to resort to pressing for an entire half to generate some offense even more so that more than 1/2 (29 of 59) the UCONN shot attempts were from deep. I guess throughout the years we have been spoiled by growth from multiple players. It is kind of stunning when you don’t see it from any of these players.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The team looked somehow weak physically today and that was against Georgetown...without Page and Ana there is a clear issue with passes into the post or the lack off. Energy was low and Georgetown got most of the 50/50 balls. Just a disappointing game! The only player that had a good game was E. Every one else didn't really show up today.
They got beat on loose balls against Tennessee most of the game too.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
2nd half was horrendous! Geno is correct, some of these players are not getting it. They look like an average women's basketball team!
I’m a big UConn fan, but this game was hard to watch. I’m ashamed to admit that I fell asleep for a moment during the 3rd quarter. It appeared to me that our girls played down to their competition today. I didn’t see any urgency in their play. They missed Paige today.

Arkansas handed Baylor one of their two losses this year. UConn will have to be more consistent on offense, and continue to play tough “give no quarter” defense to come away with a win.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Not averaging at least 20 points a quarter today makes me think this team will have trouble scoring against the better teams. That is what I always look for when UConn plays. UConn rarely loses when they score eighty points or more. Eighty points should not have been hard to reach against Georgetown. Yes, this was a disappointing game. I have seen lesser teams get the ball inside against a zone easier than UConn. Is it time to adjust the offense to fit the talent on this team? I wonder what Tonyc thinks about this game. One more thing, something I had thought about before, Griffin and Mir need to start giving a head fake sometimes when they go up for a shot under the basket. Usually, when their shot gets blocked, it results in a turnover.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno's update on Anna's health indicates she's been dealing with a problem for some time. I have to wonder how much her leg issue has impacted her movement and ability to shoot the ball.
Consistent with what I saw Thurs night. Anna's movement was off; she seemed to be favoring one of her legs.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Perhaps COVID is to blame but perhaps we should also hold these players more accountable. AE was frighteningly bad today. As you pointed out ONO resorted to that tomahawk chop today and was out hustled to several contested rebounds buy players that were 1/2 foot shorter than her when she had inside position. Nika first two fouls would qualify for assault in most of the 50 states. Quite honestly it was rather embarrassing that Geno had to resort to pressing for an entire half to generate some offense even more so that more than 1/2 (29 of 59) the UCONN shot attempts were from deep. I guess throughout the years we have been spoiled by growth from multiple players. It is kind of stunning when you don’t see it from any of these players.
I go back and forth on this. I know this is UConn and our expectations as well as Geno's are much higher than at most other programs. One poster mentioned that Aaliyah seemed to regress today, and I could not agree more. At the same time, I have no idea how these kids manage to keep their focus in a country where isolation, disease and death are ubiquitous.

As for this game specifically, I have the same confusion. On the one hand, UConn just played and won an emotional game in Knoxville on Thursday evening, probably not getting back to Storrs until early yesterday morning. I can't imagine they had much of a practice yesterday and then on to an early afternoon game today, without your best player and a key reserve. On the other hand, this was a mediocre Georgetown team that has only played 5 games so far this season.

I suspect these questions will persist all season. If and when we get to the Big Dance, the teams that do well in the tournament will likely be those teams who not only have talent, but can also remain healthy (Covid free) and, through pure luck, maintain some type of schedule continuity

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The two things, field general and shoot maker, are hardly incompatible. Today it was standing around on the perimeter passing it between 3 or 4 of them: you shoot, no you shoot then try to cram it inside! Not a style I recognize for the Huskies.
I’m no expert but the Huskies having problems with their half course offense against the zone defense has been a persistent issue for a while

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
As for this game specifically, I have the same confusion. On the one hand, UConn just played and won an emotional game in Knoxville on Thursday evening, probably not getting back to Storrs until early yesterday morning. I can't imagine they had much of a practice yesterday and then on to an early afternoon game today, without your best player and a key reserve. On the other hand, this was a mediocre Georgetown team that has only played 5 games so far this season.
To me this is the reason for the lack of sharpness. This is the classic "Letdown" game after TENN . And then take away 2 rotation players. To expect to see a well oiled machine today was crazy.

Reaction Score
I will try to be quasi-diplomatic here but boy talk about an entitled, unrealistic fan base. Undefeated or not, right now, this is a good, not remotely great, team. They are young, and today, outside of Westbrook got very pedestrian, mediocre games from their experienced players, up and down games from Griffith and Muhl and little from anyone else. Not unexpected.
Many people here seem to have little or no respect for opponents, the fact is Georgetown came out in the second half and played hard with pride and made plays to generate some scoring. I will give them credit for the 2nd half.

Last edited:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Yes, the second half was awful, but there were some hopeful signs in the game. The offense was stagnant, but the first-half defense was really good. They obviously made a concerted effort to make up for what they were lacking.

I thought Muhl looked 100% better than she has. She stopped a lot of dribble drives, which she hadn't been doing in earlier games, played some good team defense.

This is a very young team; they had three freshmen on the court for a lot of the game, so I think we need to temper our expectations a bit when they're missing their best player and another who really helps the flow on offense.

Let's hope Paige is back for the Arky game and Anna isn't far behind.

Reaction Score
Well.....they won. That is a good thing. I like Evina. I like Nika. Glad to see her play and score a couple of three point shots. She seem to move the ball and play with passion. I liked Olivia make 3 point shots as a strategy to draw people out. I like watching Chrystin. I like watching Aubrey. I like that Mir got in to play and also Alyiah Edwards who plays with bulldog tenacity.

Geno could be upset walking away from the National Championship game holding the trophy in his arms saying that the his team is uncoachable and played like crap. I am just so use to him being totally unsatisfied with the team play. But, underneath, he has got to have some positives to take away. He just does not tell anyone.

Looking forward to Arkansas. Should be fun.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I will try to be quasi-diplomatic here but boy talk about an entitled, unrealistic fan base. Undefeated or not, right now, this is a good, not remotely great, team. They are young, and today, outside of Westbrook got very pedestrian, mediocre games from their experienced players, up and down games from Griffith and Muhl and little from anyone else. Not unexpec
Many people here seem to have little or no respect for opponents, the fact is Georgetown came out in the second half and played hard with pride and made plays to generate some scoring. I will give them credit for the 2nd half.
You don’t have to be diplomatic. We are an entitled (you word) spoiled ( my word) fan base. I would have to challenge that word “unrealistic’. It is not unrealistic to expect Geno’players to show growth and improvement over a season and as they progress from freshman to seniors. Player improvement has been the foundation of this program.

Reaction Score
Why in the world did Geno still have ONO, and Christyn, (and Nika-but I get it with her), still in the game when, with 4 minutes left,and a nearly 40 point lead, he could have played Piath and Autumn.

*It's rhetorical: I don't need to hear the same old "playing time is a reward for practicing well". It's only been 1 day since UT, and 2 guards were out injured.

Reaction Score
You don’t have to be diplomatic. We are an entitled (you word) spoiled ( my word) fan base. I would have to challenge that word “unrealistic’. It is not unrealistic to expect Geno’players to show growth and improvement over a season and as they progress from freshman to seniors. Player improvement has been the foundation of this program.

Very fair point, my reference to unrealistic was aimed more at the reaction to the 2nd half of today‘s game.

Reaction Score
Usually I'm amused at Geno's antics at the halftime interview, when he is dissatisfied with the team's performance. But today I just thought he was just grumpy and abrasive.

In junior high, I had a math teacher who said "If one or two people flunk a quiz, it's their fault. If everyone fails, it's the teacher's fault." Today was Geno's fault.

Reaction Score
This was a B team beating a D+ team in a boring game. Nothing remotely exciting happened. Not a single highlight play. I'm glad Muhl got starting minutes and that she hit a few threes, but in the end we now know she is ok but no better as yet. Biggest mystery: why ONO didn't get 10 bunnies down low. If she wasn't willing to use her height to overpower GTown she won't against any other team. AE is a big, ONO is not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom