Georgetown Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
I will not see the game until someone is kind enough to post a replay but in what has become de rigueur for me, I will read the comments and analysis first, using the Boneyard observations as a helpful preview, alerting me to nuances within the game that my untrained eyes might otherwise miss.

So, thanks.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
UConn Full Box Score

#PlayerPTSFG3FGFTORDRREBAPFTOBLSTMIN+/-
10*MUHL62-72-50-0213125033524
13*WILLIAMS177-182-121-1022612144031
20*NELSON-ODODA198-122-21-236903110249
22*WESTBROOK135-103-80-0134903033136
44*GRIFFIN154-90-27-10527102203341
3EDWARDS00-10-00-0055122232215
11MCLEAN20-20-02-232521112132
32GABRIEL00-00-00-0000000202-3
TMTEAM---23501
TOTALS7226-599-2911-1516244020917915
Your Totals line is off, not correctly aligned.

Reaction Score
Most of the team (except Evina) looked "tight", even though Georgetown was no match from the opening tip. No flow. Everything look rushed. This team doesnt know how to play aggressive - making too many mistakes. Paige bring flow to the offense (& defense) and a "calm" that just wasnt there tonight. Arkansas will be telling.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Stumblebum of the week. In my dream I would love to see UConn go indie and schedule multiple games against all Power-5 conferences. Won’t happen, of course, so we can look forward (lol) to more games like this. Georgetown was so overly matched, I would have been more interested if Autumn had played 30 minutes, as it is I found my attention wandering.

Seems to me there is a rather simple solution to your big issue: don't watch the games.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Curious comment by Geno about UCONN having players that don’t respond to coaching. I sense his frustration is growing because of what he doesn’t see: can point to a player that has improved since the beginning of the season ( perhaps Evina) and can’t point to a single returning player that is playing significantly better than last year. That is not normal for UCONN WBB teams and probably what Geno meant when he said that makes UCONN a lot like other programs- perish the thought.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
My Guess is they snuck in some alcohol beverages after the TN game and the group hangover hit in the 2nd half. ????. At least, I can play with some of the new BY emoji's . The barf one seemed most appropriate.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Curious comment by Geno about UCONN having players that don’t respond to coaching. I sense his frustration is growing because of what he doesn’t see: can point to a player that has improved since the beginning of the season ( perhaps Evina) and can’t point to a single returning player that is playing significantly better than last year. That is not normal for UCONN WBB teams and probably what Geno meant when he said that makes UCONN a lot like other programs- perish the thought.
I sense these issues are going on throughout college basketball due to all the postponements and cancellations. Coaches are struggling to develop players and teams when they have no continuity in their schedule. When was the last time Stanford lost two games in a row? We haven't seen any truly dominant team this season, and I doubt that we will.

Reaction Score
Couple of "benefit of the doubt" points, amongst the yuckiness: 1) let down from a big road game 2 days ago 2) your best player out.
10 games down- some of this stuff "is what it is". At some point do you concentrate on what you have versus what you could have or would like to have?
Couple of observations: Our posts have to show themselves big. They have to ask for the ball and show the passer where they want the ball. The posts can pivot better and attack the rim with a drive or pass. (Remember Gabby, using both hands) The wings have to see the floor. Wait a beat for the cutter. Looks sometimes like the ball is a hot potato. Ball fakes create openings in the middle of the zone. Posts inside- jump stop, get in an athletic position, pump fakes, get the defender on your back, then go up strong. That's one reason we look so ugly, is like Geno said postgame, we don't finish plays. One more: is CW really a spot up shooter against a zone? I know she hits one occasionally, but I don't see it. What if she ran baseline and got the ball in the "short corner". That could be her "office". Short J's, drives baseline with either hand, interior passing, all her strengths. I hate it when players get the ball in positions in which they are not effective, like CW on the wing/free throw line extended, Aubrey same, Liv on top or on the wing, etc. Sorry, I'm perturbed.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The two things, field general and shoot maker, are hardly incompatible. Today it was standing around on the perimeter passing it between 3 or 4 of them: you shoot, no you shoot then try to cram it inside! Not a style I recognize for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Tough game to watch. Really didn't look like UCONN brand of basketball. Perhaps the players a bit tired and emotionally drained from the Tennessee game. I was hoping for better leadership and execution especially given the talent gap between the two teams. My thoughts on the players:

• Liv - Even though her stats were decent I didn't think Liv played a great game. She has some baffling plays for someone who should dominate a team such as Georgetown. She seems hesitant to mix it up in the post and settles now with jump shooting, which is fine if she's playing against someone like A. Boston, but not against Georgetown. Her aggressiveness just wasn't there tonight, where you'd want her to say "i'm going to score 50 on these guys"
  • CWill - Also played Ok. final stat line was ok, but boy her 3 pt shooting was not there today, even worse than usual and all of them were pretty open shots. Without Paige and Anna, we are a dreadfully bad shooting team. I'm beginning to accept that she's a good No.2 or No. 3 on a good husky team, but is not consistent enough for her to be a no.1. Hope to get at least 1 of those two back for Arkansas.
  • Evina - She plays under control almost always and can do so many things even on a bad knee. She won't wow anyone with her athleticism but she has just enough to make her game very effective. I think after Paige, I believe she will end up being the second best 3 point shooter on the team. Anna could be there but she just doesn't get enough minutes now and with her hesitancy to shoot most games, I'm really hoping E can be that 35-40% 3 pt shooter behind Paige. We desperately need that additional threat on the perimeter especially since ONO has shown to be ineffective against good bigs.
  • Aubrey - Solid game, performed as I expected. If she can ever give us a consistent mid range game, with an occasional 3 pointer, I think this is the AG we will get for the rest of the season.
  • Nika - She had an up and down game. I really want to root for the kid, but to be honest I think she's a slightly better player than Molly Bent. Her first quarter, I really thought she add no value to the team, since offensively it was 4 against 5. Defensively she was getting beat by her man on multiple occasions. She played better in different stretches, but I just don't feel confident that she will be impactful when UCONN plays the better teams. I hope she can get better during her time here, but right now she to me is really the 8th or 9th best player on the team.
  • AEdwards - She seems to have regressed a little this game. She feels a little unsure of herself, especially against zone, and her feel around the basket seems to have gotten worse since the beginning of the year. Not sure if the focus is as sharp, but i'm hoping that she gets more minutes and have more plays run for her, because she needs to be an important piece for us to make it to the FF or win a national championship.
  • Mir - She had good effort today. Still very raw in terms of offensive understanding, but she's down low with bigger players most of the time when she has opportunity to score. What would help is her ability to play around the foul line with a jumper and draw the defense and either shoot when defense sags or drive finish or drive dish.
  • Piath i thought did decently with her minutes. A couple of nice defensive plays.

Reaction Score
Evina and Aubrey were the two best things about UConn today. Evina is shooting a really nice ball right now. Williams needs to stop thinking she’s Stephen Curry and get back to slashing and driving for her pull up shot versus hoisting up 3’s.

I am pulling for Nika. She had some good moments today, followed by some bad ones, but you can tell she cares a ton about the game and team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Geno must have considered long and hard putting Paige in boot and all. :oops:

Reaction Score
The team looked somehow weak physically today and that was against Georgetown...without Page and Ana there is a clear issue with passes into the post or the lack off. Energy was low and Georgetown got most of the 50/50 balls. Just a disappointing game! The only player that had a good game was E. Every one else didn't really show up today.

Reaction Score
Nika played much better after she was pulled and put back in. Goes 100% all the time. Hit a couple of 3s, tough on defense and made some terrific passes. Nerves probably had something to do with her slow start. When she went back in, she seemed more calm, more in command. Good job, Nika.

Reaction Score
Geno must have considered long and hard putting Paige in boot and all. :oops:
it's possible that Paige in a booth would have done better than some of what we saw today

Reaction Score
The team looked somehow weak physically today and that was against Georgetown...without Page and Ana there is a clear issue with passes into the post or the lack off. Energy was low and Georgetown got most of the 50/50 balls. Just a disappointing game! The only player that had a good game was E. Every one else didn't really show up today.

Have to disagree. Nika played much better after she went back in.

Reaction Score

Three games in five days, down 2 players, especially their best player and coming off an emotional win over UT.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
:DNow everyone who hasn't wanted Anna on the floor knows what that looks like.
:mad:Lots of freshman minutes today? And let's put in a "pre-freshmen" who hasn't even practiced at a university to make it better.
Head bangWhy I have a difficult time getting excited about Chrysten. Love her on the team and root for her as I do for every kid on the team, but it is what it is. 2 1/2 years and I just don't see that much improvement from her freshman year.

They are YOUNG.:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom