Gamecocks basketball, 2023 part I (merged thread) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks basketball, 2023 part I (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Read and react...The Princeton offense...is an offense. It's not supposed to be predictable. Since Maya Moore left? It disappeared? Pretty much a starting line up is sidelined and it was still working last time I checked.
The Princeton offense is a very complicated offense. They have never run the Princeton offense.

Reaction Score
Yea...they do. The Princeton offense is a read-and-react offense. Here it is being run against St. Johns. Note the read by Lou (starting at 10 secs) of the St. John's defense. This is a classic example. It's not a set play. It's an offensive philosophy....reading, passing, cutting, screening, and shooting. Notre Dame uses it too. You have to start the video from the beginning to view the cut by Muhl to move her defender out of the area where Senechal wants to shoot. Senechal waves Muhl to cut down the lane...basically, she wants her to move.

The Princeton offense is a very complicated offense. They have never run the Princeton offense.
Enjoying this conversation. Kinda strange seeing it in this thread, but I'm enjoying it as The Big Game" approaches.

Reaction Score
That Vandy team definitely has taken on the mentality of their coach. Ralph has them going in the right direction.
They're a great bunch of young ladies, but they're just so hopelessly outmanned by a lot of teams. There comes a point where effort just isn't enough, especially against a team like South Carolina that also gives great effort but does it with players who are bigger, faster, stronger and much more talented.

In many ways, Shea's true rebuild starts next season with five freshmen. Not accounting for possible transfers in or out, which is impossible to know, I see us with a roster of 11. Eight of those will be freshmen or sophomores.

Reaction Score
Yea...they do. The Princeton offense is a read-and-react offense. Here it is being run against St. Johns. Note the read by Lou (starting at 10 secs) of the St. John's defense. This is a classic example. It's not a set play. It's an offensive philosophy....reading, passing, cutting, screening, and shooting. Notre Dame uses it too. You have to start the video from the beginning to view the cut by Muhl to move her defender out of the area where Senechal wants to shoot. Senechal waves Muhl to cut down the lane...basically, she wants her to move.

This is NOT the Princeton offense though. The princeton offense is run through the big man on the high post, through a series of set plays. Just because Uconn runs a read and react offense, doesn't mean they run the Princeton offense. Uconn runs a ton of screens, in that play alone there are three, which isn't typical of the Princeton offense. If anything they play a bit of a hybrid of a 2 man offense and a flex.

This is a good read up on the Princeton offense if you want to familiar yourself with it: Princeton Offense – Complete Coaching Guide

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Probably should move the Princeton offense/UConn conversation to another thread.

Reaction Score
They're a great bunch of young ladies, but they're just so hopelessly outmanned by a lot of teams. There comes a point where effort just isn't enough, especially against a team like South Carolina that also gives great effort but does it with players who are bigger, faster, stronger and much more talented.

In many ways, Shea's true rebuild starts next season with five freshmen. Not accounting for possible transfers in or out, which is impossible to know, I see us with a roster of 11. Eight of those will be freshmen or sophomores.
Vandy should be good if your injured players come back for another year.

Reaction Score
I think it'll be a good game tonight. I expect a battle through at least 3 quarters, if not the whole game. Arkansas is one of three teams in the SEC that has beaten at least one team ranked in the AP top 25.

Anyone have any predictions? My guess is that South Carolina wins 82-68.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure Arkansas can keep it that close. They are a bit more physical than some years but still nowhere near what South Carolina will throw at them. The Razorbacks make a living at the free throw line and beyond the arc. I don't see them drawing so many fouls against the Gamecocks, whose size and athleticism allows them to defend without fouling. Also, the length of SC's guards affects the other team's three-point shooting. I'm thinking a margin of 20 plus.

I also know nothing...so there's that.

Reaction Score
South Carolina leads in the series record 24-18. They are 12-5 versus Arkansas at home, while the Razorbacks are 10-9 on their home floor. Both teams are 3-3 in neutral venues. The Gamecocks are on a current 6-game win streak, having beat the Razorbacks 76-54 in last season's SECT.

Both Arkansas and South Carolina have played close strengths of schedule thus far - both are around top 30 in SOS, although while the Gamecocks have played a top-30 non-conference SOS slate (29th thus far), the Razorbacks' non-conference schedule is outside of the top 70 at 76th. Overall though, there isn't much to separate the teams in this regard.

Arkansas is currently 5-1 in road games - they just lost their one loss in Baton Rouge 79-76 to LSU on Thursday. South Carolina is of course undefeated in Colonial Life Arena thus far this season (they are undefeated overall) at 10-0. They are currently on a 35-game home winning streak, and are 51-1 in CLA during the 2019 recruiting class's tenure, with the lone loss being to NC State 54-46 in December 2020.

Arkansas comes in with a strong offensive game, being ranked 31st nationally in Scoring Offense - good for 4th in the SEC. South Carolina is also strong offensively at 8th nationally in Scoring Offense, 2nd in the SEC behind LSU. The difference represented here is about 5 ppg. The Razorbacks are 118th in FG % - they are more of a perimeter-scoring team compared to USC, which can lower their completion efficiencies. They are 14th nationally in 3-pt. FG attempts per game (SC is 305th in 3-pt. FG attempts, by comparison) - 1st in the SEC by a good margin - and are 145th in 3-pt. FG % at 31.9%. The Gamecocks are 180th at 30.9%.

The major difference here, will be in the defense. Arkansas comes in ranked 160th in Scoring Defense (9th in the SEC), while South Carolina is 1st nationally. The Razorbacks are particularly strong in FG % Defense, ranked 13th nationally and 5th in the SEC, but the Gamecocks are also ranked 1st here. Also, Arkansas is 146th in 3-pt. FG % Defense, while again USC is ranked 1st nationally. Finally, the Gamecocks are ranked 3rd in Rebounds per Game - just a rpg behind #1 LSU - 1st in Blocks per Game, and 147th in Steals per Game, compared to the Razorbacks being 37th, 44th, and 245th, respectively.

Arkansas has improved substantially defensively over last season - they have quality bigs in Poffenbarger and Barnum averaging 7.0+ rpg each. I'm not sure however how they will match up against Boston and Cardoso, with Amihere, Beal, and others also chipping in. Both teams are pretty sound with control of their hands: Arkansas is 34th nationally in Turnovers per Game (2nd in SEC) and 122nd in Fouls per Game (5th), while USC is 30th (1st) and 61st (2nd) respectively.

I'm thinking this game will be more of a freer-flowing scoring contest, than a slug-fest in the paint. Just depends on how well Arkansas can handle the Gamecock's defensive match-ups......

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This is hilarious. Rebounds are 28-5. It's like watching an adult play against a team of 4th graders.

Reaction Score
With double-double today, Aliyah would set the new program record of 73 dbl-dbls, breaking her tie with Sheila Foster.....

Reaction Score
This is hilarious. Rebounds are 28-5. It's like watching an adult play against a team of 4th graders.

Probably two rough road games against the top 2 SEC teams in a row may be too much for Arkansas to bear.......

Reaction Score
Congrats to Aliyah Boston, setting the new program record for career double-doubles at 73!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Rebounds 74-17 and that undersells the difference before the benches were cleared.
I haven't watched the game yet (have it on DVR), but I looked at the box score, and I added up the individual rebounds, missed shots, etc., because I couldn't believe the 74-17 rebounds. And we thought UConn had a problem. . .

I assume there's some deflation on Arky's part after the LSU game, but if this is indicative of the gap between LSU and South Carolina, wow.

Reaction Score
I’ve been paying attention to the games where SC and LSU have had the same opponents. So far SC has out scored the common opponents by a good margin and that is without our starters playing anywhere near the minutes that LSU starters are playing. Hopefully that’s a good sign for SC but you never know! I am glad we get them at home!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom