Gamecocks basketball, 2023 part I (merged thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks basketball, 2023 part I (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Raven is going to spoil the narrative on this board that we are weak at the point guard position.
She looked real good, reminded me of her in high school. It's crazy to think that Raven and Latson were on the same team together. That would be a great backcourt for a top 25 college team let alone for a high school.

Reaction Score
She looked real good, reminded me of her in high school. It's crazy to think that Raven and Latson were on the same team together. That would be a great backcourt for a top 25 college team let alone for a high school.

That’s one of the reasons they won 3 state championships together.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
During the game I questioned it, but I thought it was really cool hearing coach Staley explain her reasoning for letting the 2nd string play through it when Kentucky went on that big run. She needed to see her team fight and wanted to see their in game toughness. And as usual, she was right. That 29 point score differential may not tell the story of how close it was for 3 quarters, but we definitely got to see how tough this team is. The energy and fight they played with late into the game, I loved it. If you don’t have the horses to hang for 40 minutes then you don’t stand much of a chance versus SC.

She is doing a great coaching job with this very deep, but also young team. Masterful.

Reaction Score

Fletcher is averaging 15.9 minutes per game. Raven is getting 15. However, I think Raven is going to start seeing more minutes down the conference stretch. She appears to be developing more and more confidence in her knee.

Raven leads in assists and steals while committing only half the number of Fletcher’s TOs. Fletcher leads in points per game and shooting percentages. Both are poor on 3 pointers, but raven’s 10% is truly abysmal. Weird stat: Raven has shot no FTs this year! Not driving the lane?

Raven looks better in what I consider the point guard duties and expect to see her court time improve.

Raven seems to pair with Cardosa particularly well. I expect to see her as the clear starting point guard next year. Can Fulwiley be more of a shooting guard to pair with her next year?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Fletcher is steady, but she’s just not as dynamic as Johnson. I agree that Johnson likely gets more playing time down the stretch but I think Fletcher is set in as the starter, for continuity reasons at this point.

Reaction Score
Fletcher is averaging 15.9 minutes per game. Raven is getting 15. However, I think Raven is going to start seeing more minutes down the conference stretch. She appears to be developing more and more confidence in her knee.

Raven leads in assists and steals while committing only half the number of Fletcher’s TOs. Fletcher leads in points per game and shooting percentages. Both are poor on 3 pointers, but raven’s 10% is truly abysmal. Weird stat: Raven has shot no FTs this year! Not driving the lane?

Raven looks better in what I consider the point guard duties and expect to see her court time improve.

Raven seems to pair with Cardosa particularly well. I expect to see her as the clear starting point guard next year. Can Fulwiley be more of a shooting guard to pair with her next year?
Raven has hit 2 of her last 3 and I'm gonna go with that.

Reaction Score

I think Fulwiley can play either guard role.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't put too much importance on Raven's current 3-point percentage stats. She has been shooting it pretty well over the past few games. I have a gut feeling that the beginning of the season was the anomaly...recovering from an injury and getting her first true playing minutes in D-I.

Reaction Score
Raven takes this team to another level. Reminds me of when Dawn turned the reins of the team over to Ty in 2017. She just started gradually getting more and more minutes in place of Cuevas. All of a sudden she was starting. Dawn won’t change the line-up as long as we are winning but Raven is getting more and more minutes. Ashlyn Watkins played the most minutes of anybody today with 23. Did a great job on Haley Franks.

Reaction Score
Saw on another board that Jaloni Cambridge was visiting South Carolina this weekend and was there for the game today.....
That was a good one to see. 15,000 in attendance and she got to see the people she will play with play lots of minutes.

Reaction Score
Raven takes this team to another level. Reminds me of when Dawn turned the reins of the team over to Ty in 2017. She just started gradually getting more and more minutes in place of Cuevas. All of a sudden she was starting. Dawn won’t change the line-up as long as we are winning but Raven is getting more and more minutes. Ashlyn Watkins played the most minutes of anybody today with 23. Did a great job on Haley Franks.

I thought at one point Fletcher vs Raven was a good debate that Fletcher was surprisingly getting the better of, but it has changed dramatically here the last two weeks.

I'm not sure next season's team will be on the same level but it should be very fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom