Gamecocks basketball, 2023 part I (merged thread) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks basketball, 2023 part I (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Question. Since when have chickens lived in a nest? I've never heard/seen/read about a nest full of chickens. One of yall need to tell Coach Staley, the social media people, AD, or whoever.. Rename it The Coop... Or The HenHouse. Signed a concerned fan
Nah. We aren't going to tell Coach Staley anything. We're gonna let her roll right now. If she wants to call it the Pig Pen, that's fine with us. Maybe she's the mother hen and the "eggs" are in the nest. Whhen they commit they are birdies. Think of it that way. When among greatness, think like greatness.

Reaction Score
Question. Since when have chickens lived in a nest? I've never heard/seen/read about a nest full of chickens. One of yall need to tell Coach Staley, the social media people, AD, or whoever.. Rename it The Coop... Or The HenHouse. Signed a concerned fan
Birdies live in the nest. Dawn loves her some birdies.

Reaction Score

Is this a version of not seeing the forest for the trees? As shown above by TC22's gif and explained by JDuro's post, the coop or henhouse is merely a safe enclosure to house the nesting boxes within, and the nesting boxes do in fact have nests in them for chickens to lay their eggs. Truly, the only nests that are full of ANY birds, are typically nests that are full of the mother bird, and her chicks, with the occasional accompaniment from the male mate, such as with doves. Even for ANY flock of bird species, nests are not full of those species of birds, but used individually for female members to lay eggs. A chicken living in the wild would go off on her own and make a nest for herself.

Triad must be a big city slicker.........

Reaction Score
Speaking of Milaysia, Keenan plays Gray Collegiate Friday and will be broadcast as part of WACH FOX 57’s Friday Night Rivals telecast. It can be seen on digital channel 57-2, Spectrum channel 1250, or streamed on the WACH website. Game time is 6:00. The two teams played last night at Gray, Keenan coming away with a 57-48 road win before a raucous crowd.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
SC offered top 20 Wing/Forward ‘24 recruit Kennedy Smith out of California

Another good player out of Cali. Hope this one turns out differently. Kennedy seems very excited about the offer.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So chickens do have nests.... learn something new everyday.

Is this a version of not seeing the forest for the trees? As shown above by TC22's gif and explained by JDuro's post, the coop or henhouse is merely a safe enclosure to house the nesting boxes within, and the nesting boxes do in fact have nests in them for chickens to lay their eggs. Truly, the only nests that are full of ANY birds, are typically nests that are full of the mother bird, and her chicks, with the occasional accompaniment from the male mate, such as with doves. Even for ANY flock of bird species, nests are not full of those species of birds, but used individually for female members to lay eggs. A chicken living in the wild would go off on her own and make a nest for herself.

Triad must be a big city slicker.........

Not a big city slicker, but a city slicker.

Reaction Score
Does Shea Ralph employ a similar offense to Geno? I'm wondering if the Vandy game will provide a taste test for those youngsters who haven't logged minutes against UConn.

Reaction Score
Does Shea Ralph employ a similar offense to Geno? I'm wondering if the Vandy game will provide a taste test for those youngsters who haven't logged minutes against UConn.
Not sure how much you have watched Uconn this year but they don't really run an offense. It's either run down the floor quicker than the other team and get a lay up or turn it over. Geno has been dreadful at developing a half court offense for years, maybe even a decade, now.
As long as South Carolina cleans up the offensive boards, which I don't imagine they will have an issue with, Uconn's offense shouldn't be an issue for you guys. Especially without Azzi and Caroline who I would imagine likely wouldn't be back for that game.

Reaction Score
Not sure how much you have watched Uconn this year but they don't really run an offense. It's either run down the floor quicker than the other team and get a lay up or turn it over. Geno has been dreadful at developing a half court offense for years, maybe even a decade, now.
As long as South Carolina cleans up the offensive boards, which I don't imagine they will have an issue with, Uconn's offense shouldn't be an issue for you guys. Especially without Azzi and Caroline who I would imagine likely wouldn't be back for that game.

Just want to point out that a decade would include the period where he won four straight national championships.

Reaction Score
Just want to point out that a decade would include the period where he won four straight national championships.
Yea I actually just watched a bunch of games from that era. There wasn’t much of an offensive scheme so much a fluid read the defense and score. There used to be a very clear offensive scheme in the 90s and early and midnaughts that started disappearing around Maya Moore’s era.
It’s not a criticism of his offensive philosophy just an observation that it only works if your starting line up isn’t sidelined with injuries.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
The competition hasn't been the strongest lately, but Zia Cooke's shooting efficiency has steadily trended upward the last few months, Boston's production is also going up and up, and most importantly it looks like Raven Johnson is really finding her groove at the PG sport. Tonight makes 4 nice showings in a row off the bench for her.

Reaction Score
South Carolina scored 60 points in the paint tonight against Vandy. Take away all their other points and only count the ones in the paint, and they still win by 12.

Another crazy stat? Vandy made 18 field goals and had 14 shots blocked.

Reaction Score
i think Geno said once that he puts in a structure and once they have that ingrained really well he then lets the players do what they want in the structure, which works out well when you have three All Americans.

Reaction Score
Cardoso has improved greatly this year, but man it's frustrating to watch her knowing just a little more effort and concentration would go so far.

I'm not necessarily looking forward to seeing her anchor the interior for 25-30 minutes.

I guess I'm doing my own concern trolling about next year but I feel like the defense and rebounding effort has us spoiled.

Reaction Score
i think Geno said once that he puts in a structure and once they have that ingrained really well he then lets the players do what they want in the structure, which works out well when you have three All Americans.
Yes, that was still a while ago though During his show early this season he said there isn’t an offense just get the players to create in their own. Half court offense has always been a coaching weakness imo despite being a great overall offensive coach. I don’t see Uconn running on South Carolina and without Azzi or Caroline to spread the floor and take some pressure off Lou I don’t see where points come from.
Long story short- yall have nothing to worry about if we play.

Reaction Score
Yes, that was still a while ago though During his show early this season he said there isn’t an offense just get the players to create in their own. Half court offense has always been a coaching weakness imo despite being a great overall offensive coach. I don’t see Uconn running on South Carolina and without Azzi or Caroline to spread the floor and take some pressure off Lou I don’t see where points come from.
Long story short- yall have nothing to worry about if we play.

I think that's kind of the basketball ideal.

Get great players, teach them how to play pretty basketball with spacing and motion, develop their skills, and let them create their own works of art.

I do love watching pretty offense even if we all know defense and rebounding is really what wins.

Reaction Score
I think that's kind of the basketball ideal.

Get great players, teach them how to play pretty basketball with spacing and motion, develop their skills, and let them create their own works of art.

I do love watching pretty offense even if we all know defense and rebounding is really what wins.
Not when you’re playing your third string the whole season it’s not.

Reaction Score
In 7 SEC games, the Gamecocks are shooting .489 from the field, .333 from the 3-pt. line, and .711 from the free throw line. They are holding their SEC opponents to .333/.263/.571 respectively. Zia is averaging 17.7 ppg shooting .426 from the field, .341 from behind the arc, and .789 from the charity stripe. Aliyah is averaging 13.1 ppg, 9.3 rpg, and 2.6 bpg shooting .593 from the field, and .840 from the FT line.

PG duo Kierra and Raven are playing very well in SEC play at the position: Kierra is shooting .462 from the field, averaging 4.1 ppg, 4.0 rpg, and has 15 assists in 7 games to just 6 turnovers. Raven is shooting .484 from the field, .308 from behind the arc, and is averaging 4.9 ppg, 3.0 rpg, a team-leading 1.9 spg, and leads the team with 27 assists to just 8 turnovers. That's PG combination of 8.9 ppg, 7.0 rpg, and 6.0 apg with an assist: turnover ratio of 2.8:1.

Even Brea Beal has chipped in here: she's averaged .467 from the field, a team-leading .538 from the 3-pt. line (7-13), and .727 (8-11) from the FT line, to average 6.1 ppg, 3.1 rpg, and 1.0 bpg. But Beal also has 19 assists in SEC play, 2nd only to Raven, with just 7 turnovers. That's a threesome of Raven, Kierra, and Brea averaging 8.7 assists per SEC game, with an A:TO ratio of 2.9:1. Not shabby at all thus far.

Other notes are Laeticia leading the team in SEC in free-throw %, with .828 efficiency (24-29). Youngsters in the paint are showing great efficiency, with Sania only playing in 3 SEC gms thus far due to an injury that she should be returning from soon - she's hit 8-10 from the field for a sweet little .800 FG %, and Ashlyn is 9-14 (.643) from the field in the 6 SEC gms she's appeared in thus far. That's a combined 17-24 (.708) for 6.0 ppg and 4.0 rpg in 15.7 mpg against SEC competition thus far....

Reaction Score
South Carolina scored 60 points in the paint tonight against Vandy. Take away all their other points and only count the ones in the paint, and they still win by 12.

Another crazy stat? Vandy made 18 field goals and had 14 shots blocked.
Yall never stopped fighting and playing, though. I noticed that from start to finish. It would have been easy to just give up but none of those girls did. Tons of respect for that.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Yall never stopped fighting and playing, though. I noticed that from start to finish. It would have been easy to just give up but none of those girls did. Tons of respect for that.
That Vandy team definitely has taken on the mentality of their coach. Ralph has them going in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom