Gamecocks basketball, 2023 part I (merged thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gamecocks basketball, 2023 part I (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Basically, she's playing when the opponent is overmatched or the game is out of hand, which I suppose are the same thing.

I think she need off-season strength building and a good bit of work, but she is a good prospect.

I would never think to play her instead of Watkins or Cooper but coach I think is doing coach stuff.
Always remember that we do not see practice thus it makes it difficult to understand some in game decisions as it relates to personnel. Remember earlier, Dawn sat Cardoso and Feagin to elicit a certain response and since then, look at thier play. I think I will trust my coach.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
She actually improving a lot especially defensively. Next year Dawn will run that play to get her that baseline shot because it’s money for her. Just like KiKi!
We should pretty much eventually hand her all of the plays we ran for KiKi… they have similar games offensively and Chloe feasts on that baseline jumper just like KiKi once did.

I’m really glad she came early because this in game experience plus off season strength training is really going to benefit her in the fall.

Reaction Score
Always remember that we do not see practice thus it makes it difficult to understand some in game decisions as it relates to personnel. Remember earlier, Dawn sat Cardoso and Feagin to elicit a certain response and since then, look at thier play. I think I will trust my coach.
Basically what I was trying to say.

Reaction Score
Remember two things? I don’t think I can do that. It really is asking a lot.

Reaction Score
Feagin out today - lower leg injury. would imagine that means Watkins will get some PT

Reaction Score
Pretty rough outing for the Gamecocks, in terms of shooting and scoring efficiency. The Miss State Bulldogs are of course a very strong defensive team statistically - just outside the top 10 in Scoring Defense (most likely will sneak into the top 10 there, now), in the top 10 nationally in FG % Defense and 3-pt. FG % Defense. Their SOS was only slightly stronger than LSU's - the only other SEC team with strong defensive statistics in the whelm of Miss St. and USC. But it was on their home floor on national TV, so kinda like Missouri last season, they were geeked to give us their best effort, and we didn't respond well to that.

Despite the Bulldog's defensive prowess, we had a ton of open looks and layup opportunities that we bricked up. It seems that every season for the past 3-5 seasons - despite the team being ranked in the top 10 if not ranked #1 for the majority of that time, and being stocked to the gills with McD AA 5-star talent on the roster - we have 2-3 games every season where we seem to be off our game, off kilter. We come out flat or look tired or unprepared. Like the season has played a toll on us. We played that way versus Missouri last season, versus NC State and Tennessee in 20-21, Texas A%M in 19-20.

In many cases, the opponent was not good enough to take advantage of that, and we still won "ugly". But in cases with decent or better teams in bad situations - like on those team's home floors - it has proven to be quite costly. We got another "ugly" win today on a strong defensive conference opponent's home floor, and we should take away only thankful feelings from that. But....back to the practice court classroom. If we are able to.....

Reaction Score
It’s basically the halfway point of the regular season. All teams are tired and haven’t gotten their seasonal “second wind” yet. Lots of conference leaders struggled yesterday.

Reaction Score
Pretty rough outing for the Gamecocks, in terms of shooting and scoring efficiency. The Miss State Bulldogs are of course a very strong defensive team statistically - just outside the top 10 in Scoring Defense (most likely will sneak into the top 10 there, now), in the top 10 nationally in FG % Defense and 3-pt. FG % Defense. Their SOS was only slightly stronger than LSU's - the only other SEC team with strong defensive statistics in the whelm of Miss St. and USC. But it was on their home floor on national TV, so kinda like Missouri last season, they were geeked to give us their best effort, and we didn't respond well to that.

Despite the Bulldog's defensive prowess, we had a ton of open looks and layup opportunities that we bricked up. It seems that every season for the past 3-5 seasons - despite the team being ranked in the top 10 if not ranked #1 for the majority of that time, and being stocked to the gills with McD AA 5-star talent on the roster - we have 2-3 games every season where we seem to be off our game, off kilter. We come out flat or look tired or unprepared. Like the season has played a toll on us. We played that way versus Missouri last season, versus NC State and Tennessee in 20-21, Texas A%M in 19-20.

In many cases, the opponent was not good enough to take advantage of that, and we still won "ugly". But in cases with decent or better teams in bad situations - like on those team's home floors - it has proven to be quite costly. We got another "ugly" win today on a strong defensive conference opponent's home floor, and we should take away only thankful feelings from that. But....back to the practice court classroom. If we are able to.....
I think this was a pretty typical outing for our starters. When it becomes a defensive game, we tend focus on that part and value those matchups. We basically got slapped in the face during Q1, worked our way out of it in Q2 and then just maintained the lead for the rest of the game. This group tends to do well against other defensive-minded teams.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If any of yall chicken fans run across David Cloninger in the streets or in the arena.... dap em up, and buy him a drink or a bojangles chicken sandwich or something. Send me the bill. I like the way he votes.

Reaction Score
If any of yall chicken fans run across David Cloninger in the streets or in the arena.... dap em up, and buy him a drink or a bojangles chicken sandwich or something. Send me the bill. I like the way he votes.
David writes for the Charleston paper. All of the SC papers cover our team like it should be. He knows what he’s doing so you must have earned whatever he ranked you. :)

Reaction Score
She’s bigger then 5’6”” but still, that’s some Spud Webb kinda’ shnitt.

Reaction Score
Anyone know the shortest woman to dunk in a game at any level? I'm curious if she takes the cake. She has to have over a 30" vertical...maybe closer to a 35" vert.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s basically the halfway point of the regular season. All teams are tired and haven’t gotten their seasonal “second wind” yet. Lots of conference leaders struggled yesterday.

It's college basketball.

Almost no one looks great every single time out.

Reaction Score
I posted a screenshot here a couple months ago from the YouTube video she did with Bueckers and they were essentially about the same height. People need to wipe that 5’6 number from their head.

Reaction Score
Another SEC road game that started out ugly for the Gamecocks, that turned into a straight route win, as the Gamecocks beat Kentucky 95-66 to improve to 17-0, 5-0.

Kentucky (8-9, 0-5) came into the game outside of the top 100 in most all offensive or defensive categories. But this is a SEC rivalry series for both teams: Kentucky and South Carolina play each other twice every year, moreso than against other SEC teams (perhaps Georgia too), and it has been a heated rivalry going back to the Matthew Mitchell days - even before Mississippi State and Missouri rose up to get the Gamecocks' ire.

But the Wildcats opened up very strong and aggressive on both ends of the court: the Gamecocks opened at a torrid pace, shooting for 64% from the field, but the Wildcats stayed close, only behind by 3 points 20-17 at the end of the 1st Period.

They would stay on the Gamecocks' heels through the next 2 periods - the Gamecocks out-scored the Wildcats in each quarter, but only by meager margins - 17-16 in the 2nd, and 22-18 in the 3rd. There were large scoring runs for both teams: after a short jumper from Cardoso extended the Gamecocks lead to 7 20-13 late in the 1st Period, the Wildcats went on a 16-0 run to take the lead 29-20 at the 7-minute mark of the 2nd Period.

The Kentucky lead grew to 10 pts 31-21 with 5 minutes to play in the 1st half, until the Gamecocks responded with a 16-0 run of their own, to reclaim the lead 37-31 with mere seconds left in the half. UK would score in the final second and the Gamecocks led in a tight battle 37-33 at the halftime.

The Gamecocks shot 57% in the 1st half, so they certainly were shooting better than in their previous game at Mississippi State. But the Wildcats were relentless, and continued to attack behind the scoring of Maddie Scherr and Jada Walker, who had 28 of Kentucky's 33 1st half points on 12-19 shooting. The Gamecocks likewise got the majority of their scoring before half from Boston and Cooke, who combined to shoot 12-18 themselves for 28 of their team's 37 total pts. But the 1st half was very contentious, and while the Gamecocks lead the league in rebounds per game, and the Wildcats are nowhere close to doing so, rebounds were tied at the half, 16-16, and 2nd chance points also tied at 8-8.

In the 2nd half, the Gamecocks turned up the offensive heat: in the 3rd Period, they shot 60% 6-10 from the field, while holding the Wildcats to 38.1% shooting. But they only out-scored Kentucky 22-18, due to the Wildcats getting that 38.1% shooting by shooting 8-21, more than doubling the Gamecocks' shot attempts for the quarter. The Gamecocks had 4 turnovers in the period that hamstrung their offensive output. The Wildcats meanwhile were called for fouls that sent the Gamecocks to the free throw line 10 times, of which they converted on 9 of them.

In the 4th Period, the game was blown open, disguising just how fiercely competitive it was. The Gamecocks out-scored the Wildcats 36-15 in the final stanza, shooting 13-17 (76.5%) and 10-13 (76.9%) from the charity stripe, as Kentucky continued to foul to try to slow down the Gamecock scoring. Overall in the 2nd half, South Carolina out-scored Kentucky 58-33, shooting 19-27 (70.4%) from the field, and 19-23 (82.6%) from the line.

Boston led the Gamecocks with 21 pts on 9-11 shooting, with 11 rebounds, 4 blocks, and 3 assists. Cooke added 20 pts on 8-14 shooting, with 3 assists and 2 rebounds. Cardoso added in 12 pts on 5-8 shooting, with 4 rebounds, and Amihere chipped in 11 pts on 3-7 shooting, with 3 rebounds and 2 blocks.

Red-shirt Freshman PG Raven Johnson continues to show strong improvement in her game, coming off the bench to add 9 pts on 4-4 shooting, with a team-leading 7 assists and 3 steals....

Reaction Score
It's very visible that Raven is starting to become comfortable playing at this level. Tonight she was a menace on defense too. In general, guard play is staring to noticably improve ever since the slow start this season.

Reaction Score
Tonight felt like Raven’s coming out game. She was the player of the game for me as the tempo and energy started to pick up with her in the game in the 2nd qtr. Her three pointer was right on the mark perfect. Hope that is a sign she’s starting to find her range.

Reaction Score
Raven getting very comfortable would be a real problem for everyone else.

She's a good shooter so it would not be shocking if she shot a good number the second half of the season.

The defense needs work but you can see the player now.

Reaction Score
this week, we play back to back the two teams that defeated us last year. schedule makers of the SEC had to know, right ?

well here’s hoping we start out Sunday against Mizzou like we closed Kentucky out last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom