Floyd, Karaban, Clingan | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Floyd, Karaban, Clingan

Reaction Score
If you’re talking about one player, you’ve basically described Colin Gillespie. I would disagree that it “shouldn’t be that hard” to find one.

Even if you’re talking about two different players, I still don’t think these guys are growing on trees. A heady point guard alone may be the single toughest and most essential ingredient to find.
St. Peter’s has four guards that a combo of a point and a shooter would work and that’s just one team! (i think we can do better but just an illustration)

I don’t watch enough of other conferences. But a guard that can get their shot and a knockdown shooter are widely available In the stuff I watch which is a lot of A-10 & conf tournaments - you see plenty of good points and plenty of knockdown shooters.

now finding a sanogo - that would be hard. Bigs like him don’t grow on trees. There’s a million 5’10/6 foot guys that can ball and plenty of knockdown shooters out therein lower leagues looking to move up.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I stick Clingan in at the 5 and Sanogo at the 4 and play that all year - 7"2" is not an advantage you waste
I will be stunned if Clingan and Sanogo see anything more than nominal minutes on the court together. Clingan will spell Sanogo next season as he grows into playing at this level. Hurley prefers having four face the basket players on the court at all times. Both DC and AS are close to the basket players who would get into each other's way and clog the lane for any of our wings trying to slash to the basket. This would work as well as when the Knicks tried playing Ewing and Cartwright together. I do believe however that we will be set at the five for a number of years.

I recently (BET at MSG) ran into a friend who's opinion carries immense weight with me (he's a good amount older than I am, was a quality HS player in the early 1960's; was a legendary small school college player, had good level coaching roles in the state for many years).

His first comment on DC was that he was more skilled than you would expect from someone who had always had such a significant size advantage. But he also warned that DC's conditioning is not at the level necessary to play D-1 basketball but this is common with bigs.

Clingan should develop into a high quality big but I'm not sure that it makes sense to expect too much from him as a freshman.

Reaction Score
People overate his defense though. He often starts on the other teams best offensive player but seldom covers him for long. Thursday the NMS kid went by him at least 3-4 times then they put Cole on him. Didn’t help, but it was clear Jackson couldn’t handle him. And he desperately needs a shot. Teams make only a token effort to cover him at 5he 3 point line and that allows them to cheat toward Sanogo. Actually he and Whaley. Everybody is willing to let Jackson beat them. Because they know he can’t.
Here's a good video explaining a bit of how/why Jackson was defending.

Teddy took a couple fadeaways, stepbacks, and off the dribble 3's early on. So throughout the game but especially in the 2nd half Jackson was intentionally overplaying the stepback/jumper and attempting to funnel him into the teeth of our defense. You do that by trailing while pressuring and attempting to use your superior athleticism to cut off the drive late after he commits to it and/or contesting it from behind while our weakside bigs contest from the front.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
If you’re talking about one player, you’ve basically described Colin Gillespie. I would disagree that it “shouldn’t be that hard” to find one.

Even if you’re talking about two different players, I still don’t think these guys are growing on trees. A heady point guard alone may be the single toughest and most essential ingredient to find.
little white guy from St Peters
broke the press well
good shooter
90% from the foul line
42% from 3
coach will be leaving
has never averaged more than 25 minutes per game so won't lose much time
NJ kid
if he wants to transfer of course ....

Reaction Score
broke the press well
good shooter
90% from the foul line
42% from 3
coach will be leaving
NJ kid

exactly, if karaban can hit shots consistently in the BE. get excited. the st. peters kid is fearless to do what he did. and banks hit big shot after big shot in the 1st round. we haven't had anybody since bazzketball

Reaction Score
We have 3 starters in ink for next year: Hawkins, Jackson, and Sanogo.

If you put Jackson at PG, then you're forced to go with something like

Jackson
Hawkins
Floyd/Karaban
Akok/Johnson
Sanogo

You could upgrade the 3/4 through the portal, but even then there's just not enough ballhandling or shooting threat.

If you put Jackson at the 3 (with a decent amount of ball-handling responsibility), then you're committing to getting a PG in the portal, but the rest of the lineup is much more balanced:

Transfer PG
Hawkins
Jackson
Karaban/Akok/Johnson
Sanogo
Transfer PG
Hawkins
Jackson
Karaban/Akok/Johnson
Sanogo

Agree with this ^ and your depth is Gaffney and Diggins at the 1, Floyd at the 2, and Clingan at the 5.

Versus this year:
Offensively, this provides better spacing of the bigs (i.e. no more Sanogo/Whaley congestion), better deep shooting (assuming the new PG is about as good as Cole and the additions of Floyd and Karaban but the loss of Martin), and with that better spacing and 3 point shooting it'll open up space/draw out the opponents from the paint while creating slashing lanes for Jackson, Hawkins, Floyd and Karaban.

Defensively, it'll definitely be a step backwards.

Net-net: hopefully about the same W-L record in '22-'23 with '23-'24 being the REAL breakthrough season given the added seasoning of the young guys.

Reaction Score
I will be stunned if Clingan and Sanogo see anything more than nominal minutes on the court together. Clingan will spell Sanogo next season as he grows into playing at this level. Hurley prefers having four face the basket players on the court at all times. Both DC and AS are close to the basket players who would get into each other's way and clog the lane for any of our wings trying to slash to the basket. This would work as well as when the Knicks tried playing Ewing and Cartwright together. I do believe however that we will be set at the five for a number of years.

I recently (BET at MSG) ran into a friend who's opinion carries immense weight with me (he's a good amount older than I am, was a quality HS player in the early 1960's; was a legendary small school college player, had good level coaching roles in the state for many years).

His first comment on DC was that he was more skilled than you would expect from someone who had always had such a significant size advantage. But he also warned that DC's conditioning is not at the level necessary to play D-1 basketball but this is common with bigs.

Clingan should develop into a high quality big but I'm not sure that it makes sense to expect too much from him as a freshman.
Was your friend originally from Bristol? Just curious.

Reaction Score
I have heard second hand that Hurley is pretty high on Floyd. I like that he appears to have a bit of swagger, which I think was sorely lacking on this season's team.

He is actually the one I chose for next year's starting point guard in the poll thread I started, although I think it is more likely to be Andre based on Hurley's thinking.
I heard the same thing about Karaban. As for Clingan, I’m not as pessimistic about his chances for minutes next Fall.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Was your friend originally from Bristol? Just curious.
No, he's originally from this part (lower Fairfield county) of the state. Spends about 50% of his time in a warmer climate.

Reaction Score
I have said that AJ is a favorite of mine but as point guard he’s going to get the ball back outside the arc and what then?He has to pass or try a floater. It magnifies a weakness that hurt us and will in the future.

pj

Reaction Score
broke the press well
good shooter
90% from the foul line
42% from 3
coach will be leaving
NJ kid

If Hurley wouldn't play Diggins why would he play Edert? Probably no better on defense, A:TO ratio of 1 is not great. Shooting efficiency is excellent but volume was low.

Jackson
Hawkins
Floyd/Karaban
Akok/Johnson
Sanogo

You could upgrade the 3/4 through the portal, but even then there's just not enough ballhandling or shooting threat.

If you put Jackson at the 3 (with a decent amount of ball-handling responsibility), then you're committing to getting a PG in the portal, but the rest of the lineup is much more balanced:

Transfer PG
Hawkins
Jackson
Karaban/Akok/Johnson
Sanogo

I like Jackson at the 3. It does seem we need a PG:
  • Transfer PG / Diggins / Gaffney
  • Hawkins / Floyd / Gaffney
  • Jackson / Floyd
  • Karaban / Johnson / Akok
  • Sanogo / Clingan / Springs

PG seems the weak position in this mix. With Castle coming the following year, seems like a good time to get a senior or grad transfer. Two open scholarships is a lot.

Note that if Cole were to come back (which I don't expect), the team would be much better offensively than this year's team, and probably significantly improved overall.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Transfer PG
Hawkins
Jackson
Karaban/Akok/Johnson
Sanogo

Agree with this ^ and your depth is Gaffney and Diggins at the 1, Floyd at the 2, and Clingan at the 5.

Versus this year:
Offensively, this provides better spacing of the bigs (i.e. no more Sanogo/Whaley congestion), better deep shooting (assuming the new PG is about as good as Cole and the additions of Floyd and Karaban but the loss of Martin), and with that better spacing and 3 point shooting it'll open up space/draw out the opponents from the paint while creating slashing lanes for Jackson, Hawkins, Floyd and Karaban.

Defensively, it'll definitely be a step backwards.

Net-net: hopefully about the same W-L record in '22-'23 with '23-'24 being the REAL breakthrough season given the added seasoning of the young guys.
If everyone sticks around, a 7-man rotation of

Castle
Hawkins
Floyd
Jackson
Karaban
Sanogo
Clingan

could be exceptional in 2023-24 if the pieces fit together.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
If everyone sticks around, a 7-man rotation of

Castle
Hawkins
Floyd
Jackson
Karaban
Sanogo
Clingan

could be exceptional in 2023-24 if the pieces fit together.
i'm thinking at least one of Johnson and Diggins works their way in as well

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I hope they can score, somebody has to :)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Teddy took a couple fadeaways, stepbacks, and off the dribble 3's early on. So throughout the game but especially in the 2nd half Jackson was intentionally overplaying the stepback/jumper and attempting to funnel him into the teeth of our defense. You do that by trailing while pressuring and attempting to use your superior athleticism to cut off the drive late after he commits to it and/or contesting it from behind while our weakside bigs contest from the front.

Martin guarded him very well in the first half, but Teddy just made shots. He made a few where Martin had played perfect defense on him. I think Martin just ran out of gas from guarding him and we switched Jackson to try to slow him down. Then Cole. There just isn't much you can do when a guy just plays like vintage Jordan. I agree Jackson's D was mostly good, as was Martin's.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
We will see what Hurley thinks of his PGs based on what he does. We have two with a freshman coming in next year as well. So you do not want to add anything but a senior/grad transfer at PG and even then you might drive away your own senior PG. I wonder what Gaffney can do if given a chance, he got better at everything but shooting. Diggins has potential if he can fix his D.

Everyone knows I believe in Akok, interested to see him get minutes on a team that might actually give him the ball. I really want to see Johnson get a fair shot as well. I do think he's the first backup 5 as well, rather than Clingan. Will Springs ever get on the court? He's actually been good when he has. I'm expecting Floyd to be really good. I don't know why, but a big physical guard who defends multiple positions and rebounds is an ideal Hurley player.

Sanogo and Hawkins should be studs. Jackson could make another leap. This is going to be a fun squad.

Reaction Score
We will see what Hurley thinks of his PGs based on what he does. We have two with a freshman coming in next year as well. So you do not want to add anything but a senior/grad transfer at PG and even then you might drive away your own senior PG. I wonder what Gaffney can do if given a chance, he got better at everything but shooting. Diggins has potential if he can fix his D.

Everyone knows I believe in Akok, interested to see him get minutes on a team that might actually give him the ball. I really want to see Johnson get a fair shot as well. I do think he's the first backup 5 as well, rather than Clingan. Will Springs ever get on the court? He's actually been good when he has. I'm expecting Floyd to be really good. I don't know why, but a big physical guard who defends multiple positions and rebounds is an ideal Hurley player.

Sanogo and Hawkins should be studs. Jackson could make another leap. This is going to be a fun squad.
No love for Karaban??FWIW.. Johnson and Sanogo played on the same HS team and are quite familiar with each other's game/style

Reaction Score
He still needs a little bit of offensive shot/moves to keep opposing guards sagging off of him.

Jackson has shown no ability whatsoever to be an effective point guard. When the shot clock is winding down, a PG needs to be able to create with the dribble. Either get his own shot or force a double team and find the open man. AJ, for reasons hard to comprehend, seems mentally unable to attack the rim off the bounce.

Reaction Score

IMO you can't really blame Jackson's defense. He was obviously putting in a ridiculous amount of effort. And funneling him to our shotblockers makes sense. The lack of adjustment other than "Get go him Andre" was pretty frustrating though. If someone is that hot, you need to start throwing traps and doubles at him at all 3 levels.

Reaction Score
Gaffney averaged over 10 points and shot 10/16 from 3 in the 6 games against cupcakes, including the first 4 games of the season. He was 3/26 on 3 against every other team. It's gotta be at least partly a mental thing.

Of course it’s a mental thing. This isn’t based on analyzing a guy’s recruiting ranking, it’s based on what he did here. He became a starter as a freshman, pushing Gilbert out of the line up, AND THE TEAM PLAYED MUCH BETTER WITH HIM RUNNING THE SHOW. HE WAS A COMPETENT — NOT OUTSTANDING — POINT.

He started this year fine against the cupcakes, had an awful trip to the Bahamas and seemed to lose confidence. But the ability to play competently is there — he showed it. Mentality has to get back to where it was.

Reaction Score

Jackson
Hawkins
Floyd/Karaban
Akok/Johnson
Sanogo

Transfer PG
Hawkins
Jackson
Karaban/Akok/Johnson
Sanogo
Any lineup with AJ at the point will end up with us being even less effective at attacking the rim off the bounce than we were this year. Yuck.

Hawkins, Aj and Floyd are our three man rotation at the wings. Maybe Karaban gets a few minutes there as well. Akok, Johnson and Karaban fight for time at the 4. DC backs up Sanogo.

The biggest question is the point. Either RJ comes back, Diggins or Gaffney step up or we go into the portal and get someone. But at the moment the portal isn’t full of kids who you can count on running the point for a ranked team either. At the moment the only one I’d take is the Llewelyn kid from Princeton, and he’s not a guarantee to beat Gaffney and Diggins out for the role either.

If Post Alexander or the kid from Creighton who got hurt wants a move, that’s a different story.

Reaction Score

DC is not getting more than 12 minutes a game next year at the absolute max. We have a year to develop his conditioning and strength. The question for next year is only whether he’s coming here good enough to help us in 8 to 12 minutes a game. I think there is a good chance he is.

Reaction Score
Agree with this. But it won’t be fun if Gaffney is dribbling with his back to the action like he ALWAYS does vs pressure and picking up the ball just past half court, bogging down the O.

Have to get a vet stud guard. Let’s get back to UConn having great playmaking guards again. If we had taken Fatts or a similar playmaking guard (I don’t watch enough to know who was in portal last year) we’d still be playing. We had a nice group just missed that playmaking.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
There will be some minutes at the backup 5 next year. It's not like Sanogo is going to start playing 37 minutes a game. Of the top 350 D1 players in minutes per game only two were Centers. Dickinson from Michigan and some 6'8" guy from VMI. Among the Jabbar nominees Dickinson was tops with 32.2 mpg and Edey was the low at 19.1 Here is the list
Dickinson 32.2
Tshiebwe 31.3
Bacot 31.3
Cockburn 30.7
Sanogo 29.2
Watson 28.2
Timme 27.2
Kessler 25.6
Williams 23.2
Edey 19.1
Holmgren didn't make the Jabbar list but averaged 22.2
If Sanogo's minutes go up to 32 a game that's still 8 minutes for someone. DC is my bet.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom