Floyd, Karaban, Clingan | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Floyd, Karaban, Clingan

Reaction Score
I looked around on @navery12 link and if I did my query correctly, Jackson was on the floor without either Cole or Gaffney for ~50 total possessions in the entire season.

Now that's not to say he didn't bring the ball up the court at times with either Cole or Gaffney on the game, but my main point here is that he can be used as a change of pace on occasion but just because he may have the best individual passing skill on the team it doesn't necessarily warranted extended minutes as the primary ball handler to facilitate the offense.
When Andre and Cole were on the floor together, especially later in the season, part of Andre's value was that he allowed Cole to slide off-ball and was generally the one running the point. I think you're vastly underestimating how good he was at running the point and facilitating.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You cant teach height to be natural passers either. There is more than one way to skin a cat here.
I think his passing is going to be a huge asset on offense. I said earlier I envision him catching at the foul line and being able to dump it down, hit a cutter, hit the corner shooter or pop the short J. If he's playing with 6'10" Johnson, passing to Johnson in the post is going to be hard to stop.

Only question is on D. He's no more able to hard hedge than Carlton was. It will be a test for Hurley to adapt to a guy that can be a huge contributor if Hurley can adapt his defense.

Reaction Score
Jackson already played extended minutes at point. He is a point forward.

He averaged 4.2 assists and 1.3 TOs the last half of our season. The myth that he's a turnover machine is tired at this point. He's might be the best passer in the Big East next year. He was for an extended chunk of this season already.

He needs another guard on the court to be there to break down a defense in late shot clock situations because of his limited offensive skillset, but there's very few players better at feeding the post, hitting ahead to shooters, and putting English on the ball to hit his teammates in their scoring spots.
And I’ll add to this by saying that if he ever gets that weird floater to drop consistently, he’ll be damn near unstoppable
His handle is good, his passing is great, and all he needs is that offensive game to grow.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
And I’ll add to this by saying that if he ever gets that weird floater to drop consistently, he’ll be damn near unstoppable
His handle is good, his passing is great, and all he needs is that offensive game to grow.

Its already dropping. Its rough to look at and he missed a bunch early season especially when he was throwing the "bowling ball" from around the foul line. But that is dropping now at a 67% clip for the few he continued to take.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That may well be the case about the type athletes DH ideally wants to put on the floor but DC has unusual skills and imagine what DH would face in press conferences if DC went on to become the next Ryan Gomes.
Because he's a friggin giant that lives 30 minutes from campus.
I like the kid. I think he's good and I am glad he will be a Husky. I also think anybody who thinks that Hurley recruits him if he isn't a CT kid is not being honest. You both mentioned it, and I hope we all realize it. To fit this skilled giant, Hurley will need to change his defensive system.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Its already dropping. Its rough to look at and he missed a bunch early season especially when he was throwing the "bowling ball" from around the foul line. But that is dropping now at a 67% clip for the few he continued to take.
On top of that he had a few more aggressive moves to dunk later in the year as well. He's a decent FT shooter and those are at least going to draw fouls.

Reaction Score
If you continue to upgrade the talent around AJ--And they have with this latest recruiting class-- With improving Team BBIQ from those roster upgrades-- Which they have-- Those passes that seem ill-advised/uncatchable will become catchable and converted into FGs (for them) and assists for AJ. Interesting how that works.

Add another guy or two from the portal--You've got yourself a pretty interesting team.

Reaction Score
Because he's a friggin giant that lives 30 minutes from campus.
You obviously don’t understand the point I replied to. Do you think he’ll play, or not, depending on how he can do a high hedge? I sure hope the coaches are smarter than you.

Reaction Score
You obviously don’t understand the point I replied to. Do you think he’ll play, or not, depending on how he can do a high hedge? I sure hope the coaches are smarter than you.

Someone's testy today.

Yes, his defense will determine how much he plays. In our system that includes how well he can hedge.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Someone's testy today.

Yes, his defense will determine how much he plays. In our system that includes how well he can hedge.
My friend the coach at one of the basketball focused prep schools in RI doesn't expect him to really see the court much at UConn. I asked why and he said "too slow" for that system. So I said, why recruit him? Answer was: "had to" for the optics.

Reaction Score
little white guy from St Peters
broke the press well
good shooter
90% from the foul line
42% from 3
coach will be leaving
has never averaged more than 25 minutes per game so won't lose much time
NJ kid
if he wants to transfer of course ....

Averaged less than 10 points and 0.9 assists per game as a Junior. Doesn't give us any more than JG.

Reaction Score
Hurley can't expect to play him defensively like he's played all our other bigs. If he does he will be wasting him, Clingan and other recruits will clue in really quickly.

I'd like to see us adapt and play Clingan exclusively in drop coverage, even zone. Maybe give him some run in the high hedge vs cupcakes, but otherwise use it sparingly.

Reaction Score
Jackson already played extended minutes at point. He is a point forward.

He averaged 4.2 assists and 1.3 TOs the last half of our season. The myth that he's a turnover machine is tired at this point. He's might be the best passer in the Big East next year. He was for an extended chunk of this season already.

He needs another guard on the court to be there to break down a defense in late shot clock situations because of his limited offensive skillset, but there's very few players better at feeding the post, hitting ahead to shooters, and putting English on the ball to hit his teammates in their scoring spots.
A lineup that includes JH, CF and AK, if they all shoot as well as touted, will give AJ lots more assists than this year's lineup. Now, if he only works on his drives and shooting a bit more......

Reaction Score
This lineup sounds pretty exciting and versatile.

Gaffney/Diggins
Hawkins/Floyd
Jackson/Karaban
Akok/
Sanogo/Johnson
that lineup sounds pretty sucky and bad
stick Clingan in at the 5 and Sanogo at the 4 and play that all year
so after a full season of the failed whaley/sanogo pairing your brilliant idea is to double down with even less shooting and speed.

Reaction Score
You cant teach height to be natural passers either. There is more than one way to skin a cat here.
It'll be hard to outscore us if DC is the great passer he's reputed to be and he has CF, JH and AK arrayed around the floor waiting for the ball.........to either shoot it or drive.

Reaction Score
What's going to really help us out from the additions coming in next season and after is:

1- the increased versatility of more of the roster (guys like Floyd and Karaban and then Castle) that legitimately fit into 2 positional slots)
2- improved BBIQ from players like Floyd, Karaban, and Clingan and then Castle
3- pure shooting improvements we should see with the future roster (Hawkins, Floyd, Karaban)
4- and I'll say potentially because we just don't know yet (but likely) is the way the players actually fit into each other. Combos like name a PG (i.e. transfer portal PG or Diggins or Gaffney or future Castle) with three of Floyd-Hawkins-Jackson-Karaban playing with Sanogo or Clingan if you want to play (a) fast attacking style with good shooters or (b) slow it down and hit from outside if thats what the opponent's defense gives us or if they commit to preventing the 3, then kick it into Sanogo or Clingan for the mismatch in a more open paint we assume there'd be.

The beauty of this mix will be that we won't have the congestion of two bigs (Whaley and Sanogo) because I just can't see Sanogo and Clingan being on the court together.

The wild cards are Akok and Johnson. They both are athletic, but can they bring enough of a well rounded game to provide a bit more than a 3 and a help side block? If not, then they'll be deeper down in the rotation/depth chart.

Reaction Score

so after a full season of the failed whaley/sanogo pairing your brilliant idea is to double down with even less shooting and speed.
That lineup would be a disaster.

Reaction Score

If he doesn't add impact transfers this could be a throwaway year.

Reaction Score
Floyd/Diggins, Hawkins, Jackson Point Forward, Akok/Karaban, Sanogo

That’s if we don’t bring in any quality transfers.
Left out Gaffney and Johnson. That's 9 guys, Clingan is getting the frosh treatment. Floyd and Karaban already have been with the team, so they'll get some run.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Left out Gaffney and Johnson. That's 9 guys, Clingan is getting the frosh treatment. Floyd and Karaban already have been with the team, so they'll get some run.
There’s no way Gaff plays unless it’s because he’s a senior

Reaction Score
I really like the potential fit with Jaelin Llewellyn from Princeton. Llewellyn seems to do most of his work either shooting or in ball screen getting downhill. Big enough to guard at high major level and with recruiting pedigree.

Jackson can handle the other initiating, feeding the post, making vision plays on cuts, etc.

Probably a pipe dream, but we're in dream part of the season, aren't we?
Even if Diggins plays well, we need another very good point guard. JG has proven he has no place on a UCONN court. I have nothing against the kid, he seems like a great guy but he can’t play at this level. We need another significant PG no matter what.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom