broke the press well
good shooter
90% from the foul line
42% from 3
coach will be leaving
has never averaged more than 25 minutes per game so won't lose much time
NJ kid
if he wants to transfer of course ....

Not a point guard. 27 assists in 31 games.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Jackson playing PG would a disaster. Think most here are starry eyed by a handful of fancy passes and not the general carelessness with the ball and/or the issue of him not having an offensive game aside from open 3s, and the occasional hook/floater shot he worked with at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Jackson playing PG would a disaster. Think most here are starry eyed by a handful of fancy passes and not the general carelessness with the ball and/or the issue of him not having an offensive game aside from open 3s, and the occasional hook/floater shot he worked with at the end of the season.

Jackson already played extended minutes at point. He is a point forward.

He averaged 4.2 assists and 1.3 TOs the last half of our season. The myth that he's a turnover machine is tired at this point. He's might be the best passer in the Big East next year. He was for an extended chunk of this season already.

He needs another guard on the court to be there to break down a defense in late shot clock situations because of his limited offensive skillset, but there's very few players better at feeding the post, hitting ahead to shooters, and putting English on the ball to hit his teammates in their scoring spots.

Reaction Score
IMO. Gaffney's natural position is as a CG.. Diggins is a pure PG.. Cole back?? Probably not. Roster construction with any portal additions will have a strong influence on what our rotations will look like.. We seem to have enough secondary ballhandlers on the roster as its currently projected to help/take pressure off of our primary ballhandler(s).

Need some more shooters/bucket getters to open up the paint for our Bigs. Is DH in or out on the portal?

Reaction Score
IMO. Gaffney's natural position is as a CG.. Diggins is a pure PG.. Cole back?? Probably not. Roster construction with any portal additions will have a strong influence on what our rotations will look like.. We seem to have enough secondary ballhandlers on the roster as its currently projected to help/take pressure off of our primary ballhandler(s).

Need some more shooters/bucket getters to open up the paint for our Bigs. Is DH in or out on the portal?
DH is aware of our needs and is open to the portal. I've heard from multiple sources that he is aggressively looking at the portal to bring on at least 1 guy going into next season

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

He averaged 4.2 assists and 1.3 TOs the last half of our season. The myth that he's a turnover machine is tired at this point. He's might be the best passer in the Big East next year. He was for an extended chunk of this season already.

He needs another guard on the court to be there to break down a defense in late shot clock situations because of his limited offensive skillset, but there's very few players better at feeding the post, hitting ahead to shooters, and putting English on the ball to hit his teammates in their scoring spots.

He's perfect in the role he's in. A forward that has a knack for passing. I never said he was a TO machine but rather is careless with the ball.

Define extended minutes? I'd be curious to see how many minutes he played with out Cole or Gaffney on the floor, I'm not sure if that is available I could only see starting lineups.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
No way Clingan doesn't get significant minutes backing up Sanogo. Assuming Cole and Martin don't return, I'd go with.

Gaffney/Diggins/transfer
Hawkins/Floyd
Jackson/Karaban
Akok/Johnson
Sanogo/Clingan
astoundingly obvious.
alex will prolly have more boards, steals, dimes, and 'oh, my!' plays in his first game than tyler had in his entire career, and corey will add backbone.
top 20 team.
and it is a possibility that adama will play some 4, cuz, you know, donovan is officially on our team. he can make 3's, too. adama is great, and has demonstrated a superior ability to learn and grow. no one is hungrier than he, and how the 4 works out before game one is anyone's guess, tho i like the choices. sweeet.

Reaction Score
He's perfect in the role he's in. A forward that has a knack for passing. I never said he was a TO machine but rather is careless with the ball.

Define extended minutes? I'd be curious to see how many minutes he played with out Cole or Gaffney on the floor, I'm not sure if that is available I could only see starting lineups.
You can see those numbers here

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I really don't see why we are giving up on Diggins. I understand that he looked bad but its hard to just come in when you are not playing at all for mop up duty. He was a 4 star recruit rated around 60 overall. By all accounts he has an excellent shot and handle. I am not "counting" on him but I also do not think we should write him off and I really wouldn't be surprised if he is an above average starting point guard next year
Agreed. If he truly was not ready for prime time as evidenced in practice I hope he doubles down this summer and gets all the help he needs. I'm sure the staff will give him his homework list and connect him to those who can help him if he only is willing to work his ___ off. He showed a degree of confidence and communication skills in helping to recruit for us once he was in the fold. We are all pulling for you "Sool".

Reaction Score

I really like the potential fit with Jaelin Llewellyn from Princeton. Llewellyn seems to do most of his work either shooting or in ball screen getting downhill. Big enough to guard at high major level and with recruiting pedigree.

Jackson can handle the other initiating, feeding the post, making vision plays on cuts, etc.

Probably a pipe dream, but we're in dream part of the season, aren't we?

Reaction Score
IMO you can't really blame Jackson's defense. He was obviously putting in a ridiculous amount of effort. And funneling him to our shotblockers makes sense. The lack of adjustment other than "Get go him Andre" was pretty frustrating though. If someone is that hot, you need to start throwing traps and doubles at him at all 3 levels.
He didn't funnel. He opened the door and Allen just went by him.

Reaction Score
I really like the potential fit with Jaelin Llewellyn from Princeton. Llewellyn seems to do most of his work either shooting or in ball screen getting downhill. Big enough to guard at high major level and with recruiting pedigree.

Jackson can handle the other initiating, feeding the post, making vision plays on cuts, etc.

Probably a pipe dream, but we're in dream part of the season, aren't we?
To me Jackson is not a point guard but he has the playmaking to allow us to play a combo guard at point

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
About DC…

“You can’t teach height”.

Signed, Some Wise Man.
About that, I'd amend to "you can't teach height to be fast". As in fast enough to hedge outside the 3 point line and recovery. He isn't and he won't be at any point.

Reaction Score
About that, I'd amend to "you can't teach height to be fast". As in fast enough to hedge outside the 3 point line and recovery. He isn't and he won't be at any point.
So why recruit him?

Reaction Score
Your points on his offensive limitations are fair, but if you think his "fancy passes" were all he had running the point, you totally missed the last stretch of the season. He was easily our best pure point in terms of facilitating and running offense. Was there some carelessness and trying to do too much? Absolutely, but he also has a great eye for finding the open man and putting them in a position to score.

This is an aside, but numerous times throughout the year, he would see the open man at the 3-point line but not immediately make the pass and instead drove the ball just enough to screen the closest defender and then make the pass in order to stop the defender from even closing out and contesting at all. That's not "fancy passes", that's someone that saw the big picture and made things happen. I love Tyrese and his improvement from 3 and I don't think we should discount how many times Andre found him in rhythm and put him in great positions to have open looks.

Reaction Score
No one here knows what these kids will be able to do next year, but here's a summary of their Junior Year Stats (used these because Floyd and Karaban opted to join UConn early) and some comments about them from coaches:

Karaban averaged 25.8 points, 8.7 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.9 blocks, shooting 60.3 percent, to help New Hampton win the 2021 NEPSAC Class AAA tournament. He was MVP in the championship game.

He then averaged 18.4 points, 7.4 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 1.6 blocks for his AAU Team, Expressions Elite at the Peach Jam. Karaban was the Gatorade player of the year in New Hampshire.

Karaban is a smart and skilled modern big man who is not afraid to push the pace on his own if needed. He boasts exceptional footwork and is widely regarded as an above-average 3-point shooter. While he is not an elite athlete, his high basketball IQ allows him to rebound well on both ends and take what the defense gives him offensively.

For those thinking he'll be similar to Tyler Phommachanh, the video link below shows someone who also aggressively attacks the basket:

Clingan averaged 27.3 points, 17.2 rebounds, 5.8 blocks, and 3.1 assists.
“Donovan’s work ethic and team-first attitude fits in perfectly with the championship culture we are establishing,” UConn coach Dan Hurley said. “With his size, his ability to pass, and his shooting touch around the basket and on the perimeter, he should have an immediate impact on our frontcourt at both ends.”

Floyd (6'4", 210 pounds) per 247 Sports. 2020-21 stats through 13 games (sat out two games)
. 16.5 points, 4.08 rebounds, and 2.77 assists per game.

Well built and physical guard. Has functional athleticism in traffic. Ideal playing off the ball as a shooter and slasher. Has a reliable shooting stroke. Can attack the basket and finish with either hand. Solid overall ball handler and passer. Rebounds his position well.

His AAU coach, James Johns, who also coached current Husky Tyrese Martin, had this to say about Floyd earlier last year: "Tough, smart, great kid, great family. Corey reminds me a lot of Tyrese because they have this quiet demeanor about them but they're competitive and it all comes out on the court. Awesome kid. Love him to death. I thought Dan (Hurley) would be great for him."

As an aside, there was an all-star game I've previously referenced in which CF dominated players like Zion Cruz and Roddy Gayle, as a rising Junior. What that means may or may not amount to much but I'm thinking it will.............

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Floyd/Diggins, Hawkins, Jackson Point Forward, Akok/Karaban, Sanogo

That’s if we don’t bring in any quality transfers.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Your points on his offensive limitations are fair, but if you think his "fancy passes" were all he had running the point, you totally missed the last stretch of the season. He was easily our best pure point in terms of facilitating and running offense. Was there some carelessness and trying to do too much? Absolutely, but he also has a great eye for finding the open man and putting them in a position to score.

This is an aside, but numerous times throughout the year, he would see the open man at the 3-point line but not immediately make the pass and instead drove the ball just enough to screen the closest defender and then make the pass in order to stop the defender from even closing out and contesting at all. That's not "fancy passes", that's someone that saw the big picture and made things happen. I love Tyrese and his improvement from 3 and I don't think we should discount how many times Andre found him in rhythm and put him in great positions to have open looks.

I looked around on @navery12 link and if I did my query correctly, Jackson was on the floor without either Cole or Gaffney for ~50 total possessions in the entire season.

Now that's not to say he didn't bring the ball up the court at times with either Cole or Gaffney on the game, but my main point here is that he can be used as a change of pace on occasion but just because he may have the best individual passing skill on the team it doesn't necessarily warranted extended minutes as the primary ball handler to facilitate the offense.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to watch. His reported passing ability makes me think he can catch above the foul line and hit cutters or corner shooters for passes, and hopefully drain the midrange if open. Sort of how we sometimes used Whaley and Akok (2 years ago). But on D, if he has to do what Sanogo does, I don’t see how he ever plays meaningful minutes.

To play the way Hurley ideally wants he shouldn’t recruit anybody who isn’t athletic and between 6’4” and 6’9”. Watching Nova right now and that’s what they have on the floor.
That may well be the case about the type athletes DH ideally wants to put on the floor but DC has unusual skills and imagine what DH would face in press conferences if DC went on to become the next Ryan Gomes.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
No one here knows what these kids will be able to do next year, but here's a summary of their Junior Year Stats (used these because Floyd and Karaban opted to join UConn early) and some comments about them from coaches:

Karaban averaged 25.8 points, 8.7 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.9 blocks, shooting 60.3 percent, to help New Hampton win the 2021 NEPSAC Class AAA tournament. He was MVP in the championship game.

He then averaged 18.4 points, 7.4 rebounds, 2.4 assists and 1.6 blocks for his AAU Team, Expressions Elite at the Peach Jam. Karaban was the Gatorade player of the year in New Hampshire.

Karaban is a smart and skilled modern big man who is not afraid to push the pace on his own if needed. He boasts exceptional footwork and is widely regarded as an above-average 3-point shooter. While he is not an elite athlete, his high basketball IQ allows him to rebound well on both ends and take what the defense gives him offensively.

For those thinking he'll be similar to Tyler Phommachanh, the video link below shows someone who also aggressively attacks the basket:

Clingan averaged 27.3 points, 17.2 rebounds, 5.8 blocks, and 3.1 assists.
“Donovan’s work ethic and team-first attitude fits in perfectly with the championship culture we are establishing,” UConn coach Dan Hurley said. “With his size, his ability to pass, and his shooting touch around the basket and on the perimeter, he should have an immediate impact on our frontcourt at both ends.”

Floyd (6'4", 210 pounds) per 247 Sports. 2020-21 stats through 13 games (sat out two games)
. 16.5 points, 4.08 rebounds, and 2.77 assists per game.

Well built and physical guard. Has functional athleticism in traffic. Ideal playing off the ball as a shooter and slasher. Has a reliable shooting stroke. Can attack the basket and finish with either hand. Solid overall ball handler and passer. Rebounds his position well.

His AAU coach, James Johns, who also coached current Husky Tyrese Martin, had this to say about Floyd earlier last year: "Tough, smart, great kid, great family. Corey reminds me a lot of Tyrese because they have this quiet demeanor about them but they're competitive and it all comes out on the court. Awesome kid. Love him to death. I thought Dan (Hurley) would be great for him."

As an aside, there was an all-star game I've previously referenced in which CF dominated players like Zion Cruz and Roddy Gayle, as a rising Junior. What that means may or may not amount to much but I'm thinking it will.............
'his high basketball IQ '
also, astoundingly obvious. gonna be infectious.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

You cant teach height to be natural passers either. There is more than one way to skin a cat here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom