Did Aaliyah Edwards commit? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Did Aaliyah Edwards commit?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
One can argue the definition of "boosters" (in NCAA-speak, representatives of the school's athletic interests). One can argue that the school isn't consciously using us as recruiters.
It’s been a while since I looked at it, but I don’t think there is any requirement of intent by the school for someone to be a booster. It’s a very broad definition that includes alumni and fans, if I recall correctly. It would likely apply to pretty much anyone who is on the BY.

JS

Reaction Score
It’s been a while since I looked at it, but I don’t think there is any requirement of intent by the school for someone to be a booster. It’s a very broad definition that includes alumni and fans, if I recall correctly. It would likely apply to pretty much anyone who is on the BY.
CL82, the definition of booster is indeed broad, as you say. It's also circular: Boosters aren't allowed to do certain things, and if you (a non-member of the athletics staff) in fact do them that makes you a booster who can't.

I was speaking, however, not only of booster status but also of separate lines of attack, i.e. using ineligible recruiters or failing to exercise institutional control over recruiting activities.

There, one could argue whether the school knew what was going on and either intended it or failed to take available steps to stop it.

Both sorts of allegations have been made against UConn by those not wishing the program well, especially in connection with recruit visits to the campus and/or game venues.

And in either case, people doing things and then blabbing about it on this board enables the accusation by serving as evidence both that it occurred and that UConn knew or should have known about it.

So it's much simpler just to discourage and avoid it as board policy. Arguing that this or that activity isn't a violation and people ought to be able to do it, or even that people who are duly cautious about it are foolish, isn't helpful.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
CL82, the definition of booster is indeed broad, as you say. It's also circular: Boosters aren't allowed to do certain things, and if you (a non-member of the athletics staff) in fact do them that makes you a booster who can't.

I was speaking, however, not only of booster status but also of separate lines of attack, i.e. using ineligible recruiters or failing to exercise institutional control over recruiting activities.

There, one could argue whether the school knew what was going on and either intended it or failed to take available steps to stop it.

Both sorts of allegations have been made against UConn by those not wishing the program well, especially in connection with recruit visits to the campus and/or game venues.

And in either case, people doing things and then blabbing about it on this board enables the accusation by serving as evidence both that it occurred and that UConn knew or should have known about it.

So it's much simpler just to discourage and avoid it as board policy. Arguing that this or that activity isn't a violation and people ought to be able to do it, or even that people who are duly cautious about it are foolish, isn't helpful.
Fully agree. I just didn't want someone to think that they were fine as long as the school wasn't aware of what they did.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Here’s hoping Paige has the inside scoop. :rolleyes:

68993003-CA00-40E7-BB9F-78D6060D8A1A.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The blue / white uniform colors are ready made. :)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Because she was at First Night less than a week ago and because she has not visited any other schools(to my knowledge).
Ok. I just would prefer the announcement be made in Stewie fashion I guess but maybe Stewie was the last of a dying breed...
And I do realize that this is not a LOI scenario but it is sort of the same...

Reaction Score
Ok. I just would prefer the announcement be made in Stewie fashion I guess but maybe Stewie was the last of a dying breed...
And I do realize that this is not a LOI scenario but it is sort of the same...
If I remember correctly, this was the last day of the signing period when Stewie remembered she had to turn it in. Her father was dropping her off at school that day and signed it on the roof and it was then faxed to the coaching staff. Imagine the panic that would have occurred on the yard...

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, this was the last day of the signing period when Stewie remembered she had to turn it in. Her father was dropping her off at school that day and signed it on the roof and it was then faxed to the coaching staff. Imagine the panic that would have occurred on the yard...

Yes about signing the letter but everyone needs to remember she announced her decision at an assembly, just as Edwards is doing. This myth that she verballed next to her father's car is just that.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Yes about signing the letter but everyone needs to remember she announced her decision at an assembly, just as Edwards is doing. This myth that she verballed next to her father's car is just that.

No she didn't. Stewart committed to UConn after the home win over Duke in 2011. Stewart was at the game and committed after the game. It became public that night. No assembly.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No she didn't. Stewart committed to UConn after the home win over Duke in 2011. Stewart was at the game and committed after the game. It became public that night. No assembly.

Guessing this was the game when Geno said to Stewie that she should commit to Duke because they need you more than we do. :D:D:D:D:D

Reaction Score

Thanks for setting me straight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom