2023 Recruiting: - Cam Spencer | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2023 Recruiting: Cam Spencer

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I mean we’re going from

Newton, Hawkins, Andre, Karaban, and Sanogo

To

Castle, Newton, Ross/Stewart, Karaban, and Clingan if no transfer.

Yeah, there’s a drop off from Hawkins to whoever replaces him (which would be the case for ANYBODY), but there’s also going to be a significant upgrade from Andre’s shooting that I don’t think is being talked about right now. If Clingan has a good summer we could legitimately have 5 knockdown shooters as is.

Even if we get Spencer, we're not going to have 5 knockdown shooters in the lineup. Castle is a decent shooter coming in and will be a freshman, and Clingan attempted one 3-pointer last year and he missed it. Maybe both show an improvement, but knockdown doesn't seem likely for either.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Even if we get Spencer, we're not going to have 5 knockdown shooters in the lineup. Castle is a decent shooter coming in and will be a freshman, and Clingan attempted one 3-pointer last year and he missed it. Maybe both show an improvement, but knockdown doesn't seem likely for either.
Knockdown may have been hyperbole. Think capable may be a better word to use there. Teams aren’t going to be able to sag off anyone.

Reaction Score
With the way DC rebounds, my preference would be for him to be in or near the paint. If he’s playing out by the three point line then I can’t imagine we will get a ton of offensive rebounds.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Now do the bench, that's where the huge dropoff is in your scenario. You cherry picked the best shooters as your starting lineup
This is why it would be nice if we had some footage of the Greek kid. But also the reason why I wouldn’t be surprised if two grade transfers came in

Reaction Score
This is why it would be nice if we had some footage of the Greek kid. But also the reason why I wouldn’t be surprised if two grade transfers came in
There’s been talking that Hurley only wants to add one more player through the portal, presumably a shooter. I honestly think we could use another 4/5 rebounding/defending type through the portal to fill the last scholarship opening. I’m not sure we have enough depth beyond Clingan, Singare, and Samson Johnson. And Singare and Samson don’t have a ton of experience between them.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
There’s been talking that Hurley only wants to add one more player through the portal, presumably a shooter. I honestly think we could use another 4/5 rebounding/defending type through the portal to fill the last scholarship opening. I’m not sure we have enough depth beyond Clingan, Singare, and Samson Johnson. And Singare and Samson don’t have a ton of experience between them.
If either big could be like Amida Brimah we’ll be fine.

National championship is hard to do, but as is this is a sweet 16 roster.

It’s built more like 2020 than 2023 currently. But more talented than 2020.

Reaction Score
If either big could be like Amida Brimah we’ll be fine.

National championship is hard to do, but as is this is a sweet 16 roster.

It’s built more like 2020 than 2023 currently. But more talented than 2020.
A shooter like Spencer would get us close. I feel like another big would get us even closer. I can’t think of a great reason why we’d keep an open scholarship for a year when the roster is so close to contending. We are UConn and fresh off a title. The goal each year should be a championship not a sweet 16. I don’t know if a great fit even exists in the portal for that role at this juncture. But why not explore it?

Reaction Score
A shooter like Spencer would get us close. I feel like another big would get us even closer. I can’t think of a great reason why we’d keep an open scholarship for a year when the roster is so close to contending. We are UConn and fresh off a title. The goal each year should be a championship not a sweet 16. I don’t know if a great fit even exists in the portal for that role at this juncture. But why not explore it?
Hurley said managing 13 guys expecting to get minutes (or at least on scholarship like Hasson and Roumoglou) was tough this year. And as much as I'm a proponent of using all 13 scholarships, another guy looking for minutes doesn't really make sense.

Anywhere you add a guy from the transfer portal is going to alienate one of the current 11 guys on the roster. Add another big and you're going to make Samson Johnson and Youssouf Singare unhappy and looking to move on all year

Reaction Score
Hurley said managing 13 guys expecting to get minutes (or at least on scholarship like Hasson and Roumoglou) was tough this year. And as much as I'm a proponent of using all 13 scholarships, another guy looking for minutes doesn't really make sense.

Anywhere you add a guy from the transfer portal is going to alienate one of the current 11 guys on the roster. Add another big and you're going to make Samson Johnson and Youssouf Singare unhappy and looking to move on all year
That is a good point. And DH did a masterful job juggling minutes last year. I’m hopeful that Samson can take a step forward and that Singare can be an effective rebounder and rim protector even playing 8-10 minutes a game. I don’t think we need a ton of scoring from those guys. Clingan probably will be playing 27-30 minutes a game on average Id imagine if all goes well.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That is a good point. And DH did a masterful job juggling minutes last year. I’m hopeful that Samson can take a step forward and that Singare can be an effective rebounder and rim protector even playing 8-10 minutes a game. I don’t think we need a ton of scoring from those guys. Clingan probably will be playing 27-30 minutes a game on average Id imagine if all goes well.
Hurley seems to like the 8 man rotation.

Last year during the Big East season it was the starting 5, Diarra, Alleyne, and Clingan with Joey getting minutes cut.

During the tournament Joey took Diara’s minutes.

As is, the rotation is Castle, Newton, Ross/Stewart, Karaban, and Clingan. With the extra 2 being Diarra/Ball, Samson/Singare.

Reaction Score
Hurley seems to like the 8 man rotation.

Last year during the Big East season it was the starting 5, Diarra, Alleyne, and Clingan with Joey getting minutes cut.

During the tournament Joey took Diara’s minutes.

As is, the rotation is Castle, Newton, Ross/Stewart, Karaban, and Clingan. With the extra 2 being Diarra/Ball, Samson/Singare.
We, me included, were really spoiled by the depth of last year’s team and DH’s ability to manage it so well. That was a very special team.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
No one thought this years roster was good enough to win a championship pre season. We knew we had pieces. Sanogo was going to score and Hawk if he stayed healthy was going to be a 1st round draft pick. At least most of us knew these two facts. The rest of the roster was up in the air. Then the first 14 games happened. The point I am making is trying to determine what we need right now is fun but more than likely is not accurate. It all comes down to how all the pieces fit and playing as a team. The parts are important but how they work with each other is the secret ingredient. Basketball is the ultimate team game and TEAM will always trump talent. I think Hurley will keep us competitive each year from this point forward but getting the ingredients to mix perfectly…the art form..will be a year to year situation.

Reaction Score
And where are we with any injury to Johnson / Singare like last year's nagging foot? I'm in the camp for a defensive 6'9 ish 240ish post player with strength to compliment our skinny rim protectors. Portal, overseas, reclass, it doesn't matter.

Reaction Score
Last year we had a GREAT shooting team. We aren’t trying to replicate that. The question is with Spencer will we be a good enough shooting team. And I think the answer to that is yes
We lose one great shooting starter in Hawkins and one great shooting bench player in Joey. We lose one really bad shooting starter in Jackson and one bad shooting bench player in Alleyne. Sanogo proved to be a very good shooter but he took threes infrequently.

If we get Spencer our shooting should be really good again. Karaban and Spencer are knockdown shooters, Newton is a very good shooter and Ross looks like a knockdown shooter.

Reaction Score
If we get Spencer the starting lineup is going to fit together like a puzzle. And pretty dang talented to boot.

Castle/Cling as an elite pNr tandem. Newton as the secondary creator, spending his time draining 3's and attacking closeouts. Spencer sprinting around screens like a maniac. And Karaban spaced out in the corner draining 3s and attacking closeouts.

And then hopefully we can get a microwave scorer like Calc off the bench, even if they are extremely one dimensional. You hear people talking about "movement shooters" a lot now and I am greedy but I am hoping for one on the floor at all times. I think it's an underrated skill and I will try not to take it for granted after enjoying a year of Hawk. Hitting shots is great but having somebody like that to bend the defense probably diminishes the quantity of shooters needed.

Reaction Score
There are Joey C's for sure that can hit the 3 but our suspect on d. Hopefully we can snag one with a little attitude like Joey had. Either way I would like to see 2 more shooters. I'm not worried with bigs as we have 3 guys who can bang there. You can never have enough shooters in today's game especially when some can be off on a given game.

Reaction Score
The rookies we have coming in are good enough. This guy is looking for the cash— will not fret one but when he picks Miami for the money. Our new players are good enough to get job done. Don’t lose sleep over this guy. We have a big 3 with a new stud pg and nice rotational players. Always enough to win 6 in a row

Reaction Score
Aside from his 3 point shooting, the advanced stats say that Spencer is a really good defender too. His DRtg last season was a 92.4 (Avg is 100), and his DBPM was 5.2

For reference last season: DRtg/DBPM

Andre Jackson: 94.3/5.1
Jordan Hawkins: 98.5/1.9
Nahiem Alleyne: 101.4/2.1
Joey California: 97.5/3.1

You couldn't ask for a better fit in our lineup. I think without him, this team still has the pieces to repeat. With him, we should be the betting favorite

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
If we get Spencer the starting lineup is going to fit together like a puzzle. And pretty dang talented to boot.

Castle/Cling as an elite pNr tandem. Newton as the secondary creator, spending his time draining 3's and attacking closeouts. Spencer sprinting around screens like a maniac. And Karaban spaced out in the corner draining 3s and attacking closeouts.

And then hopefully we can get a microwave scorer like Calc off the bench, even if they are extremely one dimensional. You hear people talking about "movement shooters" a lot now and I am greedy but I am hoping for one on the floor at all times. I think it's an underrated skill and I will try not to take it for granted after enjoying a year of Hawk. Hitting shots is great but having somebody like that to bend the defense probably diminishes the quantity of shooters needed.
Does the microwave scorer necessarily have to be a shooter? Because Solo can 100% fill that microwave role off the bench if we’re just talking about scoring and he can be a two way player.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom